(7a-i) Private Homes

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

(7a-i) Private Homes

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

IMG_1903.jpeg
IMG_1903.jpeg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 618 times

A row of small private homes lines the southern wall of the keep, some of them have a small painted wooden sign attached to their door. The place exudes a multitude of different sounds and smells, and small children dart about here and there.

a The first reeks of fish, both fresh and smoked. A fish symbol is painted on the door. Half of the tiny home is drab looking, while the other half is vibrant, with several tiny gnomish children playing and crawling about.

b The second home has a shoe with a tiny hammer painted on the door sign, and the evidence of many more children within.

c The third home has a symbol of some ink and quill on the door. You see several small desks, chairs, and tables situated about the inside.

d/e The neighboring house has a needle and thread on the door, and their neighbor shows a fleshing knife. The latter has a bit of a skunky odor, but it’s not overpowering.

f No sign is present on the 6th private home, but it appears immaculately cared for, with colorful flowers and potted plants decorating every open space.

g The seventh home smells great, the loaf of bread painted on the door likely signifying this place as the bakers house.

h/i Two more private homes, a carpenter and a copper, by the looks of them are nestled behind the inn. They both show evidence of more children, likely many more.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (7a-i) Private Homes

#2 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb traipses down the passage back to the house with the shoe-sign. He raps on the door. "Hello! You sell boots, yes? Gyb needs to buy boots. Nice boots."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A grizzled looking middle aged human answers Gybs knock on his door. He is carrying a small female infant in one arm.

"Aye sir! I normally fix boots, but I have a few pair fer sale you could look over, if ya like."

He looks beyond the door both ways for a moment. "Come on in."

Action?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb gives the man a big smile. "Fix or sale,
both are good. Maybe buying is better. Gyb is going to the Caves. He might need to run fast".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gyb enters the modest home of the cobbler to find it tiny, but quaint.

"If yer headed to those caves, yer gonna want good boots."

There is a shelf on one wall with about a dozen or so leather shoes and boots in various sizes.

"What size do you take, mister?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb frowns at the cobbler's question. "The size that fits?"

He pulls a battered boot off a dirty foot and holds it out along with 10 silver pieces. "Like this?" Then, "Why do the the Caves need good boots? Good for running? Good for climbing ? Good for wading? Good for beating things to death?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The cobbler starts at the last comment, holding his hand up to refuse the boot. “Woah! I’m glad you wanted new.”

He has a nice pair of low soft leather boots that fit slightly loose, but nothing an extra pair of socks or extra swelled feet wouldn’t fix.

“I usually charge 15 silver, but I’ll take the ten, if that’s all you have.”

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

"More? Yes, I have more". Gyb produces the extra five silver. "And some left for a place to sleep."

Gyn turns to leave. "If you see Gyb again, then you will know that your boots are good for running faster than monsters".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The unknown cobbler takes the full 15 coins with a smile.

“I wish you luck staying ahead of them. Tell your friends about us, if they need good boots.”

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#10 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

Loyn examines the gift his father gave him, he squeezes it tightly and walks to the home that smells delicious like freshly baked bread. He knocks on the door, hoping to get some answers.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hotgoblin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:00 pm Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

Loyn examines the gift his father gave him, he squeezes it tightly and walks to the home that smells delicious like freshly baked bread. He knocks on the door, hoping to get some answers.

Brother Martins Bakery
(7g)

Knocking on the door to the pleasant smelling tiny home directly adjacent to the inn, Loyn is greeted by a plain looking teenage girl wearing a flour splattered brown apron.

She looks unsurprised to see a burly dwarf on her doorstep. “Oh, hello. Are you here for some of Brother Martins waybread?”

Looking beyond the young girl, the home consists of a simple living area with a large open kitchen at the back of the first floor. A brown haired man dressed in a similar apron worn over plain brown robes tends a brick oven, removing a large pan of several bread loaves that smell wonderful. Racks of dried fruits, dried meats, and thin pans filled with hardtack make up the rest of the crowded kitchen.

Hotgoblin

#12 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

He smiles at her and says,“Good day lass, I’m Loyn, son of Groyn and I’d like one of those breads right out of the oven and to have a word with the baker. Ok, if I come in? Now he wishes he still had some of that honey!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The young girl waves Loyn inside with a nod and a “sure, whatever”.

She leads you through the tidy home to the kitchen. “Hey Marty, this guy wants some fresh bread. You know him?”

A plain looking fellow in his early thirties turns to greet you. “Welcome Loyn Groynson. A Cascade of Saint Erkenwald blessings upon you, master Dwarf. I don’t believe we’ve met before. What is it I can do for you sir?”

Hotgoblin

#14 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

“Thank you for the blessings, I certainly can use them! We haven’t met, but I was wondering if you knew my father Groyn and if you had done any baking for him? Loyn shows the dog biscuit to the baker.“I don’t know my father’s whereabouts, so I cannot ask him. He had left this it to me and I hoped inquiring with you might provide some answers.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

Bugs follows the advice of Sabine and his nose to the fishmonger's? house. He kindly knocks and eventually asks for the family of Tarlac.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hotgoblin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 pm Loyn-Dwarf Fighter

“Thank you for the blessings, I certainly can use them! We haven’t met, but I was wondering if you knew my father Groyn and if you had done any baking for him? Loyn shows the dog biscuit to the baker.“I don’t know my father’s whereabouts, so I cannot ask him. He had left this it to me and I hoped inquiring with you might provide some answers.
Brother Martin looks at Loyn for a minute before responding.

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea who your father was, or who you are, for that matter."

When Loyn pulls out his smelly biscuit, the baker gets a foul look on his normally kind face.

"What the...... can you please get that smelly thing out of my kitchen before it taints my fresh bread?"

He squints at the item in disgust. "Is that a dog biscuit? It smells completely rotten, like its gone bad.....several years ago. What is it you are trying to find out? When to throw it out? Because that time has already passed."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:32 pm Bugs

Bugs follows the advice of Sabine and his nose to the fishmonger's? house. He kindly knocks and eventually asks for the family of Tarlac.
(7a) The home reeks of fish, both fresh and smoked. A fish symbol is painted on the door. Half of the tiny home is drab looking, while the other half is vibrant, with several tiny gnomish children playing and crawling about.
The normally busy home has no action outside at the moment.

Bug's knock is answered by a very young sniffling male gnome child who stands there staring at his older kinfolk. "You look like you could be my Da's younger brother."

Then he hears a woman's voice coming from inside. "Who is it, Willy?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He smiles at the kid. "Willy, huh? Could be, though. Who's your Da?"

Bugs calls out to the woman. "I'm Bugs. I'm looking for Tarlac and Peppy. I think we should talk."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Willy answers. "My Da's name is Peppy!"

The female voice comes to the door, attached to a female body. The middle aged gnome is plainly dressed in housekeeping clothes and has a look of disgust on her face.
Penelope.jpeg
Penelope.jpeg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Her expression turns to one of astonishment when she sees Bugs for the first time, slowly shaking her head from side to side.

"Bugs you say? Well Bugs, we have something in common already, as I am also looking for Peppy and Tarlac."

She shoos the young boy away before he can figure out what's happening. "You're his son, aren't you? If you had grey hair, you'd look exactly alike."

"I am Penelope, his latest wife and the mother of six of his children. All of them your own brothers and sisters, I suppose."

Hotgoblin

#20 Post by Hotgoblin »

Brother Martin looks at Loyn for a minute before responding.

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea who your father was, or who you are, for that matter."

When Loyn pulls out his smelly biscuit, the baker gets a foul look on his normally kind face.

"What the...... can you please get that smelly thing out of my kitchen before it taints my fresh bread?"

He squints at the item in disgust. "Is that a dog biscuit? It smells completely rotten, like its gone bad.....several years ago. What is it you are trying to find out? When to throw it out? Because that time has already passed."

Loyn is utterly saddened by the harshness the baker exudes. I’m sorry to bother you, many townsfolk knew my father and he is missing. He left this smelly biscuit for me. There is something special about this biscuit, not just for sentimental reasons either! He puts it away and turns to walk out…“By the way, was there another baker here before you?”

Return to “Areas of the Keep”