(1/2) Sabine/Front Gates

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

Re: (1/2) Sabine/Front Gates

#81 Post by grokkngrognard »

On this day, Skratch had decided to leave her place of safety near the keep and unobtrusively fell in with with the traffic on the road to it. Not very tall and moving with a stoop to her shoulders, her lean body and accoutrements were hidden by the worn and tatty dark cloak that hung from her narrow shoulders. Her mud-splatter feet were wrapped in old rags and the half-orc did her best to blend in, though hard as it was by her savage features. A drover passing by on his wagon gave her a look of disgust and Skratch returned his look with a feral gaze of her own along with a hiss and a thick glob of phlegm hawked and spat in the human's direction.

She dreaded the keep and the anxiety wore at her the closer she got. But the half-orc was determined. Skratch had a plan and the keep was crucial to her mind. Soon she was at the gate where everyone was bottlenecked to get in. She tried to blend in, mingling with crowds and keeping her head and face down and away from the guards. When a wagon started to roll into the gate's open maw, Skratch moved with it, hoping they wouldn't think nothing of her. Just someone attached to those associated with wagon. She overheard part of conversation several were having with a female guard until...
OGRE MAGE wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:12 pm Sabine's smile gets even wider as the talk about bandit elimination continues.

"We aren't sure about that smoke to the south yet, but we intend to investigate the area once Market Day has passed."

As another guard checks over a merchant wagon trying to enter the Keep, Sabine sees a female of slight stature trying to sneak past without checking in.

"Excuse me! What is your name please? You will need to check your weapons in here!!!"
She stilled, her hands instinctively wanting to reach within and take hold of her blades. She should run! Skratch thought. But she swallowed hard and turned to the female guard that had called her out. She muttered a foul word in orcish under her breath and slowly approached the guard.

"My name Skratch," the half-orc snarled, her head down but with malevolent eyes peering up at her. She reached within her cloak and handed over her weapons save for the two daggers crossed over at the small of her back. She did a quick glance at the one the guard was talking to, taking in their measure. No, she thought, not merchants, not tradesmen, drovers, farmers nor soldiers. They had been talking about caverns and bandits, and the smoke from that area.

Were these the ones she was looking for?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Smiles at the new comer to the Keep and heads off with Meinhardt.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#83 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wow. Apparently not. :lol:

So much for trying to introduce new characters into the game.

Sabine looks confused when the inquisitive pair suddenly leave, but doesnt have time to explain why.

Instead she looks to the lonely looking newcomer. "I haven't seen you around here before, have I? Skratch?"

The woman looks over the suspicious acting half-orc with professional scrutiny, but doesnt get any more accusational than that.

"You will get these back when you leave. You understand that, right?"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

Sorry, jumped the gun.

"Wait a minute, Renna. Maybe that one has seen Dredd this morning." He walks back to Sabine and Skratch, introducing himself to the latter. "Hello ... er ... Skratch? My name is Meinhardt, this here is my friend, Renna. Did you happen to see a male half-orc this morning on the road? Goes by the name, Dredd. He is heavily armed, but injured."

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#85 Post by grokkngrognard »

Quonundrum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm Meinhardt "Hello ... er ... Skratch? My name is Meinhardt, this here is my friend, Renna. Did you happen to see a male half-orc this morning on the road? Goes by the name, Dredd. He is heavily armed, but injured."
She looks away from Sabine and cocks her head to face Meinhardt, her nostrils flaring as Skratch took in his scent. He smells like all pinks do, her nose wrinkling. "Half-orc you say? On the road...that road?" she asks in a voice not quite human, pointing a long boney greyish-green finger at the very the road leading away from the gate of the keep.

Skratch feigned a look of thinking for a long moment, her eyes taking in anything valuable the two might be carrying. "Mmmm...I know no this Dredd. Aahh! But there was one half-breed! Yesss! Early this morning, yes, yess. He walk this road. Had sword in hand, this breed. He no look good, face grim. Determined! Think he headed for caves. I seen caves. Hard to find."

Her face lights up, a wicked smile on her face. "Dredd friend? I take you to caves. We find your friend. I good scout, sneaky. No one see Skratch, then eets too late!" The half-orc cackles after drawing a thumb across her throat.
Last edited by grokkngrognard on Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna listens to Meinhardt and says back to him "Meinhardt, she might be useful in finding those bandits."

and then turns to the new comer "So, friend Skratch what brings you to the Keep?"

Previously I was try to get out of the way of law enforcement with a raised voice.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#87 Post by grokkngrognard »

gurusql wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:57 am Renna

Renna listens to Meinhardt and says back to him "Meinhardt, she might be useful in finding those bandits."

and then turns to the new comer "So, friend Skratch what brings you to the Keep?"
“Sick of cold squirrel, rabbit. No make fire near caves, nights cold. Thirsty for grog, want roasted meat, a bed of dry straw.” Skratch shrugs her narrow shoulders. ”But need coin more. I take you to caves, help find Dredd. We share all loot. Sabba?”

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by shaidar »

Stobart heads over the front gate, taking in the business and wondering if he might spot anyone from his old days, when he spots some from his 'new' days.

He sees Renna and Meinhardt talking to a half-orc, so he heads over.

"Morning, I love the busyness of market day. Who's your new friend?" he smiles at the half-orc "I'm Stobart."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#89 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Great stuff here everyone!

So......please continue.
:D

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"Oh, Stobart! This here is Skratch, said she saw Dredd earlier this morning walking in the direction of the Caves. She knows the area and can guide us. We were also just talking with Sabine and it appears the Keep folk should be able to collect for a reward on eliminating those highway bandits. I was just about to suggest we bring Skratch back to the inn and update the others."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by shaidar »

Stobart takes in the rather thin looking half-orc

"That's a good idea, I think they're still serving breakfast."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by shaidar »

Stobart does a double take

"Dredd is going back to the caves! In his condition! If he goes up against those warriors or even just the bandits, he'll end up dead. He's got a death wish, just like when he ran into the cave on his own. Who's got enough money to pay the bandits their toll, twice? I certainly don't. "

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#93 Post by grokkngrognard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 pm "That's a good idea, I think they're still serving breakfast."
Skratch felt her belly lurch at the thought of food. Her hunger we even more acute now and she wanted some inn-cooked breakfast.

She nodded. "Good idea...breakfast. Go to inn, yesss?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by shaidar »

Stobart raises his eyebrows at the sound of the half-orcs stomach and smiles.

"Sounds like breakfast it is... it's this way..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#95 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It smells like it's coming from over here: viewtopic.php?p=692961#p692961

:mrgreen:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

Barely able to walk, the Half-Orc has had a change of heart...or mind...or both! Either way, he decides he is in no shape to take on a bunch of...well, he's unsure he could take on a bunch of carrots at this point! His approach back to the front gates of the Keep is slow and painful but when he finally gets there, he looks up to find Sabine.
"Hey, do you mind letting me back in? I need to see a healer."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sabine looks the half-orc over carefully.

"When you left, I thought you were crazy. So, I am glad you changed your mind."

She checks his weapons and logs Dredd into her book.

"I think your friends are all still in the tavern. They were looking for you and I think they intend to go out to deal with those bandits you encountered."

The Keep is busy today, with new wagons and merchants selling their wares on every corner. Several folks mill about the place looking for good deals on items they need to buy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc mumbles "thanks" and walks off toward the tavern..."maybe a few beers will heal me up enough..." he muses, trying not to get trampled in all the traffic.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#99 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sabine smiles.

"I have heard of that remedy before. But I'm not sure it really works very well."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After a bit of confusion as to why the Peppy searching gang are returning at such a late hour, the front gates are eventually opened to allow access inside the Keep.

Sabine is not there at this time, but one of the other guards recognizes Tarlac as he enters.

"Tarlac you old dog! What happened to you out there? Did you fall in the river and get seduced by a Nixie?"

Both men laugh at the joke as they gather up offered weapons, handing out colorful ties to any who don't hand theirs in.

Tarlac does not look amused, since he is tired, beaten, and half starved by this point. "Aye, it's true. And she looked exactly like your mother, too!"

The old fisherman walks through unmolested while everyone in the group of adventurers is stopped and checked for hidden weapons.

Tarlac mumbles his thanks as he departs. "I suppose I should thank you all, even know you didn't find Peppy yet."

As he departs, one of the guards asks. "What happened to you folks out there? Where did you actually find the old grump?"

Actions?

Return to “Areas of the Keep”