The Wilderness: Arriving at the Keep

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: The Wilderness: Arriving at the Keep

#161 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - worm food

The paladin's heart pumps massive amounts of blood into the dirt due to the adrenaline dump from facing the terrifying beast, but it quickly stops as he bleeds out.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#162 Post by OGRE MAGE »

EDIT: Never mind that roll......im an idiot. :lol:

Suicide Revenge Tour
Rocky Fields Outside Keep
Late Afternoon

Thirteen tries to protect himself any way he can, praying for sanctuary against this oncoming monster. The beast continues sniffing around, keeping its huge snout pointed in the general direction of the half-orc. The grey monster approaches closer, but seems to be confused suddenly. It continues sniffing, but doesnt charge at its nearby prey as expected.

Action?

Crobeus AC3 -2/10 Unconscious
Thirteen TJ AC4 12/12 San:3

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Spearmint »

Thirteen Twojaws

Probably smelling from sweat and other leakages in the face of death. Noting what I can observe about the Bulette and its hunting manner, I will rub my bar of soap on a few sling stones and toss them into the air and away from me to try to distract the creature, ricocheting them off the boulders if they are within reach.

Then I will creep to the fallen paladin to assess how he fares.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#164 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Suicide Revenge Tour
Late Afternoon

(for spell purposes, I will consider the stone thing and the movement to be 2 rounds of actions)

Thirteen can smell his own stink, so he's pretty sure the visually challenged monster can smell him too.

He takes out some gear from his pack as the beast nudges ever closer, rubbing soap on some stones that he then tosses.

When the beast hears the noise of the ricochet, its huge head turns enough for the half-orc to begin slipping away.

The next minute of time would appear almost comical, if it weren't for the hungry monster nearby. With every step 13 takes, the monster is apparently on to him, sniffing and following his movement back towards the downed paladin. Every time 13 takes a step, the beast steps closer towards him. 13 steps, the beast steps. 13 steps, the beast steps. All the while the larger monster is gaining ground until it gets close enough to be dangerous again.

When 13 finally reaches his half buried comrade, he is surprised to find him still breathing. Then he feels the monsters breath on his back, glad the creature has still not bitten him in half for whatever reason.

Action?

Crobeus AC3 -2/10 Unconscious
Thirteen TJ AC4 12/12 San:1

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Spearmint »

Thirteen Twojaws

Leans over the squished paladin. I will pull out his holy symbol "Do the sign." his brain thinks, whispering a prayer for the fallen hero and tapping him on his helm, "sssh, wake up, stop bleeding, sssh!"

I am tempted just to nick his purse and crawl away so the Bulette can nibble him but figure that since he chose me over the Keep, I stay with him and hope for the best. I will scrape more dirt from the furrow over both of us using the large shield, then shelter under it as the Bulette sniffs about.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stunning Turn Of Events
Late Afternoon

(again, that seems like 2 rounds of action)

Feeling the monsters tongue lash him as he fishes out the paladins holy symbol, Thirteen administers magical healing to the man who sacrificed himself for the cause, however foolish that may have been. Then his own magical protection suddenly wanes.

Crobeus awakens with a start, unsure how he became half buried in dirt, and why his chest hurts so bad. Not ready for the grave yet, the paladin is absolutely shocked to see Thirteen standing over him, and even more shocked to see what the massive creature directly behind the half-orc does next.

In a similar fashion as before, the massive beast slams one clawed appendage into Thirteen's back, knocking him into the dirt next to Crobeus. Instead of killing its prey outright, the monster rears back and pounces down upon Thirteens body, pushing him into the soft dirt instead of chomping him in half with its massive maw. 15 damage (they do get 3 attacks per round, so I am trying to be gentle here) :?

Unsure how to get himself or his companion out of this mess, Crobeus suddenly notices something he hadn't seen before. The grey armored behemoth appears to have a serious impediment, as one of its tiny squinting eyes has an orangish pus leaking from it, while the other eye has what appears to be a broken off deer antler jammed into it, causing it to leak a sour smelling fluid like the other.

Action?

Crobeus AC3 6/10
Thirteen TJ AC4 -3/12 Unconscious

Scott308

#167 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin of bad decisions

This is going to be a two round post- unless the monster kills him in the first.

Seeing the cleric struck down in a series of savage attacks by the huge horror above them, Crobeus fears Thirteen could die any moment- if he hasn't already! Knowing that he needs to try healing the half-orc before doing anything that could draw the beast's ire, he very carefully reaches out to touch his fallen companion, as quietly as he possibly can. When he comes in contact with the body, he pauses for a moment until he can feel that the half-orc still draws breath. Closing his eyes, he offers up a silent prayer to Pholtus, asking for healing energy to save his friend's life. Lay on Hands for 2 hp.

When he is certain that Thirteen is not in immediate danger - aside from the monstrous creature that still poses an immediate danger, that is- he reaches for the deer antler and quickly

Time for a pause in the action. I can see two potential choices here- remove the antler and hope it calms down and leaves us alone, or shove it in deeper, hoping to permanently blind it/ kill it/ something that makes it leave us alone. Which choice do I make? Hmm. Well, here goes the potential last thing Crobeus does before getting himself killed. Is the suspense getting to you yet? Don't you wish I'd stop talking and just get on with it already? Do you think at this point, no matter what I do, it'll be wrong and Rob will kill Crobeus just because I keep drawing this out? Well, only one way to find out. My 30 second time-out is over- back to the game!

yanks it free of the beast's eye, holding it as a makeshift weapon in case he misjudged the situation, since his sword is not readily accessible due to being partially buried.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#168 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan walks back out from the gates "Crobeus! Thirteen! Guys where are you? Come in wont you!" he shouts as he walks out looking for them.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#169 Post by OGRE MAGE »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:38 am Pimlan walks back out from the gates "Crobeus! Thirteen! Guys where are you? Come in wont you!" he shouts as he walks out looking for them.
You are acting in two different locations at the same time. How is that even physically possible? :lol:

Since it might make a difference to the others, I am going to pause this action until I can tell if you are actually inside or outside.

Ignore this until my next update, I just didn't want to forget to add it.
Wilderness.jpeg
Wilderness.jpeg (162.31 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:38 am Pimlan walks back out from the gates "Crobeus! Thirteen! Guys where are you? Come in wont you!" he shouts as he walks out looking for them.
When Pimlan makes it outside, his 2 friends are nowhere to be seen. When he walks down the path towards the road, he hears a commotion far out into the rocky fields, near the tree line of the forest. red x on map

The large grey creature the group witnessed earlier is back in sight, about 500 yards away. This time it appears to be jumping up and down on something underneath it.

Action?
IMG_1915.jpeg
IMG_1915.jpeg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

GreyWolfVT

#171 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan squints looking in the direction of the creature "What the devil do you suppose it is jumping on? How strange. Hmm...should I get a closer look?" he says thinking out loud. Furrowing his brow he shrugs and looks for an area nearer to the thing where maybe he can sneak in through the trees and climb a tree to see better that won't bring him in eyesight of the thing.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I am desperately trying to come up with something a hungry monster would do with its fresh kill(s) other than eating them. Too bad there wasn't someone else close enough to distract it again? :(

Number One With A Bulette
Late Afternoon

As Crobeus slowly moves his hand towards the ailing half-orc, the beast continues doing what hungry monsters do, eating its catch. Unable to move, the unconscious Thirteen proves to be too tasty a morsel to ignore. The huge gaping maw opens wide and bites into the half-orc, nearly taking the arm of Crobeus with him. The paladin is horrified to see and hear the crunching of bone and snapping of spine when the beast clamps its immense jaws shut again, aggressively chewing on the upper portion of his comrade's torso while he lays there nearly helpless. 29 damage :shock:

Seeing the only opportunity before him, Crobeus suddenly reaches up to grab at the broken deer antler stuck into the partially blinded monsters eyehole. With a quick turn of his wrist and a heavy tug, he rips the antler free, tearing with it a copious amount of bloody infectious pus and sinew that squirts out as well. He even thinks he sees a few nerves or veins that were starting to regrow around the gory, blood covered protuberance.

With enough force to shake the ground beneath him, the behemoth instinctively lurches backwards in obvious agony. It rears back and lets out a pain filled beller so loud it almost deafens the shocked knight and his handful of stringy gore.

Action?

With the monster winning initiative, Crobeus wouldn't have got his LoH in on time, so at least that wasn't used up yet. :?

Crobeus AC3 6/10
Thirteen TJ AC4 -32/12 Very Dead/Bitten in Half, Actually

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#173 Post by OGRE MAGE »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:43 pm Pimlan squints looking in the direction of the creature "What the devil do you suppose it is jumping on? How strange. Hmm...should I get a closer look?" he says thinking out loud. Furrowing his brow he shrugs and looks for an area nearer to the thing where maybe he can sneak in through the trees and climb a tree to see better that won't bring him in eyesight of the thing.
After a few steps towards the trees in the north, Pilman sees the monster rear back and howl loudly enough to hear inside the Keep. Something is definitely happening in the area of this creature, but it’s too far away to make out exact details.

Scott308

#174 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus

Realizing his lifespan is probably measured in seconds, Crobeus knows he has to do something to try to make himself seem less tasty to the ravenous, and now injured and extremely angry monster. Quickly tossing the antler aside and reaching into the pouch at his waist, he pulls out an oil flask. Gripping the cork in his teeth, he opens the flask, dousing himself in oil in the hope that this new smell will overpower his current scent of blood and meat. Where's an Axe body spray when ya need one?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#175 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Number Two With A Bulette?
Late Afternoon

Instead of running for his life, Crobeus decides to stay, and pour oil from his pouch on himself.

The beast stomps around in obvious pain, but once the worst of it has passed, it starts heading right back to the spot where it left its half eaten snack.

While chewing the top half of Thirteen, the monster sniffs its way back to the remaining lower portion still laying in the fresh dirt.

Crobeus can't tell if his oil trick has worked or not, but so far he hasn't been bitten in half yet himself.

Action?

Crobeus AC3 6/10

GreyWolfVT

#176 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan moves slowly north a bit more to try and see if the creature is distracted now or not. He keeps as quiet as he can trying tiptoe cautiously closer to get a better look.

Scott308

#177 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin, at least for the moment

Now that the beast seems to be temporarily ignoring him, Crobeus takes the opportunity to make his escape. Dashing back toward the keep, he attempts to use the rocks strewn throughout the field to shield him from the monster.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#178 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Number Two With A Bulette?
Late Afternoon

After masking his scent with flammable oil, and then really pissing the monster off badly, Crobeus eventually gets to his feet and starts to run away.

The beast senses motion and leaps off with a surprisingly agile jump, landing on its feet and sniffing the air around it. Fortunately, due to its visual disability, it doesn't land directly on Crobeus.

When the paladin reaches the closest rocky formation, he accidentally transfers some of the oil from his hands and clothing onto the rocks. When Bully starts towards him, he rushes off to the next pack of boulders, climbing on and over those as well.

Sniffing out the oil now and not the scent of the human, the monster continues its cat and mouse chase, going from boulder to boulder, sniffing the oil a little too late, and staying well behind the lead of the fleeing Crobeus.

About half way back to the Keep, and with the monster still following him, Crobeus spots a halfling standing all alone out in the fields near the keep. His best guess from this distance is that the halfling is probably Pim, though he is still over 200 yards away.

Action?

Crobeus AC3 6/10

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#179 Post by OGRE MAGE »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:14 pm Pimlan moves slowly north a bit more to try and see if the creature is distracted now or not. He keeps as quiet as he can trying tiptoe cautiously closer to get a better look.
Pim sees the creature jump fairly high for something that size, then he spies Crobeus nearly underneath the thing. The paladin takes off running towards the keep, stopping at the clumps of boulders scattered throughout the vast open fields.

You can read this as well: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 40#p674040

GreyWolfVT

#180 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan eyes going wide at the sight of the creature jumping like a spry cat, instinctively the halfling ducks down low trying to stay out of it's sight he notices the paladin coming his way and he motions when the best is busy sniffing a boulder to wae the paladin forward towards him as he tries to sneak back towards the walls of the keep moving only when the creature is not facing his direction the halfling remains quiet, uncharacteristically most might think. Once near the wall the halfling flattens himself up against it hoping that will keep the best not noticing him.

Return to “Completed Missions”