Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Past Mid-Afternoon - Top of the Second Great Stair

Seeing no other way to make progress the adventurers opt to follow the second, unexplored passage that departs the platform in the same direction of the one that brought them here. Soon the afternoon's sunlight is left behind and the party finds itself in the darkness of a tunnel in all things similar to the previous one.

Similar in all except two factors: this mountain tunnel is in a better state of repair and is shorter than its companion. By their calculations the companions travel only three quarters of a mile before sunlight is seen at the end of the tunnel.

When they emerge, for but a moment, it seems as if they are exactly where they started, at the top of a very long stairway leading down the mountainside to the familiar valley landscape below. However a cursory glance at their surroundings confirms their position has altered. The valley lake now stands to the North-West of the stairway instead of South-East of it, and peering down the stairs themselves it can be seen that they lead to the mass of green that forms the forest that according to Swilbosh borders the entirety of the lake's southern and eastern shores. It is difficult to precise but at first glance it seems this second grand stairway might be shorter than its sister on the other side of the lake.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

#2 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor lets out an exaggerated sigh of mock frustration: "More dwarf-make stairs? How surprising and delightful!" To Swilbosh he adds, "Perhaps there will be birds on whom you can make compensatory action? Though I for one would appreciate an enemy without wings for our next surprise meeting..."

The elf checks that his gear is still in place after the trek through the long tunnel, and with a bolt fitted to his crossbow as usual, he prepares to fall in line as the party descends.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by zebediah »

We better start making our way down. I was expecting we would see something different but, well, we will have to walk a little more before we find the way out.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by saalaria »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor lets out an exaggerated sigh of mock frustration: "More dwarf-make stairs? How surprising and delightful!" To Swilbosh he adds, "Perhaps there will be birds on whom you can make compensatory action? Though I for one would appreciate an enemy without wings for our next surprise meeting..."

The elf checks that his gear is still in place after the trek through the long tunnel, and with a bolt fitted to his crossbow as usual, he prepares to fall in line as the party descends.
"At the moment friend Thurinor any enemy will do! Where are you heading for - the human landsss?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by onlyme »

Malone looks around for any potential directions to go.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Stonjuz »

"Friends, are we certain we have exhausted other paths back inside? Either way, I'm with ya, i just wish we res..., mmm, nevermind, nobody thinks resting is a good idea yet?"

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Past Mid-Afternoon - Top of the Second Great Stair

There isn't any other way but down the stairs or back through the tunnel (unless the party prefers to climb the cliffs down). Unless a secret passage was missed since the group entered the original tunnel the path they are one seems to be the only one.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Let's go down the stairs. We don't have another choice, do we?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by onlyme »

Malone nods after seeing nothing else better.
Reckon we should. Unless we want to grab a few winks first. No telling what kind of shelter we may find once we begin.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by ragnboneshopper »

To Swilbosh: "I have no set destination. Whisked away from my home, I find myself a wanderer. I will walk where the road leads and keep to this company as long as I may aid it. The lake ahead has my interest, at the moment, but yes, I had thought we might rest, as well..." And he smiles, shrugging...

OOC: How long did it take to climb the stairs up? Can we make it back down before dark? If not, I agree with staying near the cave opening for shelter...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I vote we go down and keep an eye out for a place to make camp later. Stonjuz looks exhausted. And the turtle is looking a little drowsy, too." says Ozborn."Or maybe that's what turtles look like all the time..."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Stonjuz »

"Turtle...poo can sleep, just about, anywheres. Im not tired but if'n we runs into trouble, I gotta be prepared, and Im almost out of healing spells. Again, Im with ya either way, if ya want to risk it, or not."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Then perhaps we go, but go carefully, with one eye to the sky and another eye looking for our next place of sanctuary against the wild creatures of this -- ever interesting -- mountain..." Should the party descend, Thurinor will watch above and behind for any sign of winged pursuit. Even the normally cheery elf seems ready for a warm fire and to divert himself from the day's striving.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by saalaria »

"Letsss dessscend before we camp - it will be bettter I ttthink." states the Lizardman before resuming his comptemplation of the new aspect of the valley - his home for so long.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Late Afternoon - The Second Great Stair

And so the party walks down the new stairway. This one is in better condition than the last, perhaps on this side the stones are better protected from the action of elements. After some traveling it is possible to discern where it leads to. The stair does sink into the forest proper but to a large clearing fenced between the margin of the lake, the mountain cliff and the forest, which seems to be formed mostly of conifer trees.

Some two miles down from where the stair leads to, a river is borne from the edge of the lake and cuts through the forest on a West to East axis for as long as it can be seen. This must be the same river Swilbosh mentioned prior, the one his family traveled on their journey here.

As the trek down the stairway progresses, way, way in the distance a couple passarine shapes are seen flying lazily in circles well above the green mass of the forest, most likely eagles or hawks on the prowl as the sun sink low in the sky.

By the time the orb of the sun it beginning to touch the mountain peaks to the west the adventurers at last complete their journey down the stairway, that as her sister widened progressively as they walked, and find themselves on the clearing.

The lake's water lap the margin to the West while in the East and South tall, straight trunks of pines stand guard, rank upon rank being broken occasionally by other trees. There is not much undergrowth and trekking into the forest does not appear to be a challenging notion. Except for the sound of water and the birdsongs emanating from the wood all is quiet and the humid air is filled with the scent of pine. The forest river that was noted from above cannot be seen at ground level, but the companions known that if they follow the lake margin they'll get to it after a couple miles.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin looks around, pleased to be able to rest in such a pleasant natural surroundings this night. Turning to his comrades, he says: "This place is just perfect for an overnight camp. Let me scan the immediate surroundings. I'll fetch some dry firewood as well." In case no one objects, he leaves into the forest, looking for anything unusual or probably dangerous, and collecting firewood along the way. He won't travel too far from the others though, remaining in earshot all the time.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will also scan the surrounding area for tracks or other signs of creatures.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Late Afternoon - Clearing by Forest's Edge

Ogidor sets about scanning the surrounding area for tracks and traces and after a while finds some. There are odd barefoot humanoid tracks here. They seem to lead fairly linearly from the SouthWest to curve into the direction of the forest nearby. The trail has tracks going to and from both directions, some are quite recent, some are older and it seems more than one humanoid creature is responsible for making them.

Meanwhile Andrin goes into the forest to search for wood and is pleasantly surprised to see growths of mistletoe about...

Could Andrin roll a 1d100 please?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Stonjuz »

"Suppose I dont know as much as I should about setting up an ambush, but maybe this would be a good spot. Maybe we can rest.....", Stonjuz scans the immediate area and then nods, "....over there."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Sir Clarence »

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”