Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

#161 Post by Sir Clarence »

Feeling useless, Andrin remains behind. His staff is no weapon to bring serious harm to a resilient plant like this, and his spells are of no help here too.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#163 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor pulls out his short sword and hacks away at the nearest vines or, if he can get to it, at the central stem. "Do remind me to plant blood-sucking vines near my home to prevent intruders, will you?" he says to no one in particular.

To hit short sword: [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 Damage s/m [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 Damage L [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5 :roll:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by ChubbyPixie »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor pulls out his short sword and hacks away at the nearest vines or, if he can get to it, at the central stem. "Do remind me to plant blood-sucking vines near my home to prevent intruders, will you?" he says to no one in particular.

To hit short sword: [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 Damage s/m [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 Damage L [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5 :roll:
I think you managed to graft one of the vines back onto the plant... :)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 5 - Morning - Lake's Edge/By the Rope Bridge

Round 6

Party Initiative: [1d6] = 2, NPC/Monster Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Segments: Ogirdor 0th, Party 1st, Vine 2nd, Stonjuz 5th

Arrows start flying. Ogirdor loosens several arrows against the stem of the plat monster on the pine tree...

[1d100] = 70
[1d100] = 96

...luckily none of them hits Malone who is in the vicinity and two find their way into the plant. It twitches violently one last time and then goes still, the two tendrils still remaining suddenly go imp and fall to the ground.

As the party realizes that their vegetable enemy is defeated Stonjuz finishes his chanting and applies a healing spell on himself.

Round 6 Ends - Combat Ends

Hit Points updated: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=652&p=14202#p14202

If you folks want a reminder of what the premisses look like check here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1287&start=100#p39036

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh stands, what passes for an expression of relief crosses his face:

"That plant did not know when to ssstop I think. I had no idea ssssuch thingsss exissssted ssso closssse to my home."
That was quite a struggle for him to say!

He turns to Stonjuz
"Would a druid really care for sssuch a thing?" He shakes his head.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#167 Post by Sir Clarence »

"I'm sorry that I couldn't help you in this battle, my friends, but a staff is of no help when it comes to cut down vines or tendrils. And my druidic powers were of no use as well." Stepping forward to take a closer look at the dead plant, Andrin shakes his head in disgust. "This forest seems more and more as if it's no longer blessed by Beory or Ehlonna, but has instead fallen under some dark shadow. I wonder what happened here...."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by onlyme »

Malone shakes his head. No worries. I needed to get some frustration out, and it was a willing partner. We ready to proceed? Same direction?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Let's check out this dwelling, first." says Ozborn. "Maybe someone can check out the rope bridge to make sure it's sound enough to cross?"

With that, Ozborn will approach the lean-to carefully, trying to get close enough to peer inside. He'll keep an eye out for snare traps and the like, on the off chance that the vine was some unfriendly person's "guard dog" who's property they're all trespassing on now.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#170 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will check the safety of the rope bridge.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ozborn investigates the pine-branch shelter carefully. Inside is only a bed made out of pine needles, and shifting through it he finds treasure! His hands close around a rod made of pure gold with a silver serpent entwined along it.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#172 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor watches Ozborn examine the lean-to and sees the flash of the serpent-rod. "Well, this makes it all worth it, now doesn't it? Hold it out here, if you don't mind..." Letting the sight of his eyes shift to the magical register, he scans the premises, and especially the rod, for magical auras.

ChubbyPixie wrote:I think you managed to graft one of the vines back onto the plant... :)
:lol:

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#173 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh watches what the 'humans' do with interest, marvelling at their strange ways - searching and testing everything they come across.
Curious about the rod as it appears to be just another piece of metal he asks:
"Isss thisss metal ssspecial?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by onlyme »

Malone listens to the question and yells back,
"Aye, it is special to most folks". Its why we fight each other to begin with...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by Stonjuz »

"What can you make of it Master Elf? It must be magical in nature." Stonjuz inquires excitedly. "I'll need ta rest 'fore I can say fer sure. My spells are expired. Probably shouldnt have forced Boccob's hand back there in the healing but..., He will surely be razzed if'n I dont examine that rod sometime in the near future."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#176 Post by Vargr1105 »

Thurinor detects a strong magical aura emanating from the rod but is unable to determine which school(s) it belong to.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#177 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"It does something, but what it does, I do not know. Care to help me experiment, Master Dwarf, priest of Boccob?" Thurinor smiles mischievously at Stonjuz.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#178 Post by Stonjuz »

"Rest and proppa prepization for I can 'tempt it. Maybe we can wrap it up in this bat carcass I been workin' on fer the last 3 days er so."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#179 Post by Vargr1105 »

[1d100] = 25

Both magically-inclined Thurinor and Stonjuz know that Rods with magical properties must be activated with a command. If the command is not known then certain higher-level MU spells or consultations with a Sage are usually necessary.

When Stonjuz takes the rod the tips of his sensitive dwarven fingers feel some very tiny indentations on the middle of the golden main body of the item (sort of like braille writting would). Looking up closer he can discern some very small dwarven runes etched on to it.

PM sent.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#180 Post by Stonjuz »

"Hehheh, You wassa holdin' it wrong Thurinor. Lookey here. Letters, less you cant read Dwarf. Maybe someday we teach the other some language?
See? Right here. T and R, then A, N,S,F,O,R,...and,...hmm, M.
See? Either a command word, i reckon, or a clue to it's usage. Maybe both. Alteration perhaps? Or Polymorph?"

He thinks long and hard, then holds the rod out for the other spellcasters in the group to take or examine. He will not offer to the fighter types, saying rather, "Not this time, this'n be the stuff that can backfire I imagine maybe. Best be the wiser."

:

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”