Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #8 - Beyond the Lake

#181 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"You don't disappoint, Master Dwarf," says Thurinor. "We might test it on something relatively harmless... An insect, maybe an ant? Of course, if it enlarges the thing that might be very bad. A giant ant might tear us all to pieces..." Here Thurinor smiles as if he might almost like to see such a thing. "Alas, perhaps we had better wait..."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by Stonjuz »

After handing the rod off to someone, Eyeurnhed pulls at his beard as if in judgemental thought. Seconds later he can be seen rubbing the holy symbol again. He lifts the symbol high. Taps on the turtle shell attached to his head.
"What do you think Turtle,...poo?"
Soon he shakes his head quickly, as if to rid whatever the thought from his mind.
"Better find out how it works first. Youre right." It is hard to say , but the group figures that Stonjuz's last statement is directed back to the elf.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by zebediah »

Looks like a fine treasure. This valley is full of surprises. the ranger turns his attention back to the bridge I will now test if this is safe for crossing

If the bridge proves to be sufficiently sturdy Ogirdor will try to cross it.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:Looks like a fine treasure. This valley is full of surprises. the ranger turns his attention back to the bridge I will now test if this is safe for crossing

If the bridge proves to be sufficiently sturdy Ogirdor will try to cross it.

I reread that the gorge is 30 feet deep. Do we know how long the bridge is? Would it make sense to tie a rope first, to use as a safety device? That only works if the bridge is less than 30 feet, obviously.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by zebediah »

good point. It seems I didn't buy a rope, but if you have one Ogirdor will tie it around his waist before crossing.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:good point. It seems I didn't buy a rope, but if you have one Ogirdor will tie it around his waist before crossing.

I do, 50ft of hemp rope
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#187 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor secures one end of Malone's rope around his waist, then drops his backpack and spear. I will try this with a light load,please fast the other end to a tree or something like it.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hey..." Ozborn says as the magic types swarm him and relieve him of "his" treasure. "This is going to sound weird coming from me, but is this thing ours to take? Someone obviously shelters here. We have no idea who. Maybe it's one of Andrin's druids he keeps talking about. I bet whoever it is will be upset we took their magic thingie." He eyes the rod as the others look it over. "Ah well. Probably couldn't use it myself anyway," he mutters.

"Malone!" he yells. "Ive go this silk rope (50') if you need it. I'll help hold this end." With a last glance at the golden rod he shuffles over to the others at the rope bridge.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by saalaria »

Swil takes a glance over the edge of the drop.
His tongue flicks in and out rapidly - a sign of nervousness perhaps:

"I hope the rope issss ssstrong."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#191 Post by Sir Clarence »

"I was initially thinking something along that line, Oz", answers Andrin. "But now that Stonjuz discovered these dwarven runes on the rod, I doubt that it's druidical in nature. It might be best if the dwarf keeps it as he knows how to pronounce the command word - if it is indeed one - properly."

Andrin then helps to secure Ogirdor while the ranger crosses the rope bridge.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:Ogirdor secures one end of Malone's rope around his waist, then drops his backpack and spear. I will try this with a light load,please fast the other end to a tree or something like it.

Malone will either tie the rope end if something worthy is there. If not, he will hold on to it. He mentions, "Guys, just have that other rope ready if we need it... thanks.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor wears a face of mock distress. "Alas, Ozborn, like you I speak no dwarvish. Best to leave this item in the hands of its closest relative. And you are right, I think, Andrin. This rod is no property of any druid, at least not originally. Besides which, the hospitality we have experienced on this side of the bridge gives me no feelings of guilt for our taking such an object from one who will come along later and use it on us after finding his or her thorn creatures weeded and life-sucking vines cut down." The elf then turns to look on with interest at Ogirdor's venture across the bridge. "First time I have ever looked forward to leaving a forest..."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 5 - Morning - Lake's Edge/By the Rope Bridge

Ogirdor crosses the rope bride with no problem. It hold his weight fine and true. On the other side of the margin there is only forest and no trail or path visible. Te lake's coast from where the river is born is not visible from here.

Andrin can identify that the Rod is definitively not druidic in origin. As a reminder, it was the tracks from the spiky humanoids that attacked him that have led the party to the makeshift shelter where they found it.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by zebediah »

The ranger goes back across the bridge and picks the equipment he left behind

It seems sufficiently sturdy. I would advise on going one at once, with a safety rope. No point in taking any unnecessary risks.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by onlyme »

Malone will cross single file when its his turn.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Reloading his crossbow, Thurinor waits for his turn and then crosses the bridge with the light but surefooted step of his kind. "Better a short rope bridge than a long dwarven stairway... no offense to present company."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#198 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh crosses when its his turn - looking right and left as he does so

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Stonjuz »

"What's that you say? No trail over there? Then no real reason for all of us to cross. Shouldn't we try to go back to the lakes edge?"

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#200 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Let's first wait if our good ranger finds anything over there, Stonjuz. The bridge is there for a reason, if you ask me." That being said, Andrin follows the others across the bridge.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”