Discussion (out of character thread)

scarik
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#281 Post by tibbius »

I think I may have posted my response to the wrong thread? Just now in Watchfort Reclamation but I don't see that anyone else had rolled yet.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#282 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sorry for my absence I got Covid late last week and it got worse over the weekend. I'm slowly starting to feel better but still not great.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Leitz »

Yikes! Get well soon!

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#284 Post by scarik »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:06 pm Sorry for my absence I got Covid late last week and it got worse over the weekend. I'm slowly starting to feel better but still not great.
OOf. Here's to a speedy recovery.

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#285 Post by roobeastie »

Here's hoping you feel better soonly!

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#286 Post by tibbius »

The Rona is back... Eek.

I am deep into litigation and have not even been on the board for a while.

If I'm absent for anything here's how to NPC my guys.

Barnaby inspires allies and protects anyone who gets wounded. He's the line you can retreat behind.

Dramm steps to the front.

Sengrim hides and shoots (but not into melee). Outside combat he does Explorer stuff.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Leitz »

Hey all, when you get a moment, can you give me some advice?

A lot of adventure groups move forward in an organic way. When this game started, my character was hired to hire others and lead them for the employer. That didn't go over as well as it could, but we worked through the initial challenge. I really want my character to maximize the success of everyone else. I've done this sort of thing in real life, and tried to learn how to do it better. Being a team of coordinated superstars is awesome.

How can Ji-ho help your character be a wildly successful part of the group?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#288 Post by scarik »

Had a cold sweep through our house this week. Just starting to get back to things now.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by tibbius »

Really not in the headspace for this for the foreseeable future. Working very hard which involves a lot of screen time reading and writing.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:11 am Really not in the headspace for this for the foreseeable future. Working very hard which involves a lot of screen time reading and writing.
Sorry to hear, pardner!

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#291 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:11 am Really not in the headspace for this for the foreseeable future. Working very hard which involves a lot of screen time reading and writing.
No worries. You are welcome to bounce in and out as needed. I like to keep the old school, pick-up game spirit alive so play when and if you can, your spot is always open for you.

GreyWolfVT

#292 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bouncy players? Are we superballs? :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#293 Post by scarik »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:06 am Bouncy players? Are we superballs? :)
I wish. It would make getting downstairs much easier.

GreyWolfVT

#294 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah and we all would get stuck on a roof eventually. :D

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#295 Post by Edeldhur »

Hi everyone.

Really happy to be on board for this game - thank you for having me. It might take me a while to get acquainted with the ins and outs of the homebrew rules, but so far I am liking what I am seeing, and very curious to take it out for a spin. Any advice on where to start and how to approach the system is welcome, otherwise I will just take it in order, working up from the Example Combat thread.

Cheers!
Edeldhur

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by tibbius »

scarik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 pm
No worries. You are welcome to bounce in and out as needed. I like to keep the old school, pick-up game spirit alive so play when and if you can, your spot is always open for you.
Thanks so much. My work very much sucks me in. It's not just that it demands my attention. It's more like it -seduces- my attention.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Leitz »

I have a few ideas on how to get started, but your character is different than mine and you'll need to read up on the differences. I'll try to point them out. Note that this is my understanding, so scarik might correct that.

First, look at the "Current Roster" thread, second post. Copy the data for my character, Jing Ji-ho. Here he is, with data on how to interpret, but you might want to look at some of the other characters, just to see how things differ. You mentioned Swordmage, so you're going to be both fighter and mage. I talked to scarik, and humans can be swordmages. Totally up to you.

Fighter 2 (HD 3, hp 3, SD 0, sp 0). Lawful
- Class,
- Level (you will begin at 2),
- Hit Dice (see note below)
- Hit Points
- Spell Dice (sort of like Spell level, I think)
- Spell Points (How many spells you can cast, non-ritual, per day) No idea how to figure these.
- For HD/SD, see the chart under Mages. Should be 2/1 for a human, 3/1 for an elf.
- Alignment (Pick one of Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. Most of the group is Lawful to Neutral, we are a well organized group.)

A&AC: W(l)/W(s), Enc: Moderate (7)
- A&AC Arms (offensive level)/Armor Class (defensive level)
- See the chart and explanation under "Melee Combat".
- The (l) and (s) refer to missile combat, (l)ightly armed with a self bow and has a (s)hield.
- Not sure on Encumbrance.

Ability Scores: Charisma +1
- You can pick whatever plusses and minuses you like, from -3 to +3, as long as you end up at +1. So a +3 and a -2 are fine.

Feats: Leader, Puissance (melee)
- Everyone gets a free Feat at Level 1. If you're an Elf, that's your Feat. You have racial abilities.
- Skills and Feat progression is covered in the second and third paragraphs under "Character Classes".

Skills: Captain
- Pick, or come up with a good reason for one that's not on the list. scarik will listen, and sometimes agree if you have a good logic.

Weapons: sword, dagger, hatchet, spear, self bow, arrows, 11 magical arrows
- See the lists.

Armor: Maille hauberk with coif and sallet
- As above. Not sure what a Swordmages can use.

Gear: adventuring pack (basic), travelling clothes, quiver, rations (1wk), 2 torches, simple signet ring (made of bronze), a silver ring worth a shilling
- You'll probably start out with a little more cash and stuff, ask scarik.

Silver:
- Game uses a silver standard, roughly 1p in game is one GP in D&D. However, there's an English twist on how many coins equal what, so read that section.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#298 Post by scarik »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:42 pm Hi everyone.

Really happy to be on board for this game - thank you for having me. It might take me a while to get acquainted with the ins and outs of the homebrew rules, but so far I am liking what I am seeing, and very curious to take it out for a spin. Any advice on where to start and how to approach the system is welcome, otherwise I will just take it in order, working up from the Example Combat thread.

Cheers!
Edeldhur
Welcome!

The chargen thread is bare bones (viewtopic.php?t=12861) but check it out.

You mentioned Swordmage so the main thing is to decide what race you want: human, ravenfolk or elf. Humans get to pick a special ability (feat/secret) at level 1. Non-humans have to pick their Racial Abilities as that choice. Elves additionally have special rules.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#299 Post by Edeldhur »

I am inclined to go the archetypical elf Fighter/Mage.

Buuuuut, I have always liked the aesthetics of a Rogue/Mage. I couldn’t find the rules for Thievery though.

If the group is well ‘padded’ for combat already, perhaps a rogue/scout would be more ‘useful’ (unless the group already has one and I missed it). I do tend to prefer the Entreri approach to rogues, as opposed to the Regis one, if that’s relevant. So I am curious - how are rogues in combat, with your homebrew rules? Should they not be in a scuffle at all? :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Leitz »

Here's the info on Rogues, a subclass of fighter:

Rogues are highly skilled, lightly armed combatants.
Light armor, no shields, one handed weapons, light ranged weapons
Subclass Ability: Trickery. Special Skill: Thievery

So, you'd have a Fighter Hit Die and HP, but your A&AC would be Light. In the NPCs, Hodlar is a Dwarf Rogue and Sengrim is a Halfling Explorer. The real answer is, play what you want; as long as you're willing to commit to the team, we'll find a way to use your strengths and cover your challenges.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”