Discussion (out of character thread)

#1 Post by scarik »

Continue the interest thread here.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussion

#2 Post by Leitz »

Do you want us to put our characters in, or you? I don't mind doing it for JJh and his NPCs.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by scarik »

I can edit your posts here so by all means please reply to the Roster Thread with your character. Add public info as you like and I will format the stats.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by scarik »

I am done updating for today. I hope you will find the Plot Points thread interesting.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by scarik »

Some quick game culture (among us real people) and preference points.

Some players love the accounting and some hate it. I will do all the accounting for my own purposes anyway. You are welcome to do your own or to use my labor as you prefer.

Some people plan to heavily interact with henchmen and some of you may not want to bother or just don't feel like its in character. That is also up to you. The trade off is that more bodies means more effect in many cases but they cost money. Henchmen also get a share of the treasure. This is typically a half share though it can get contentious when one PC has bunch of henchmen and another has none as that means PC 1 ends up siphoning off more than their own share of the loot.

My preferred way to handle this is to have preferred shares that cover half the loot and each PC gets one share of this pot and then general shares where each every character who gets a share also gets a piece of this. PCs still get a full share of the general fund and their henchmen get their half share from this.

Eaxmple: You recover 1000 silver pennies (sp) worth of loot on a hypothetical adventure. They party consists of 4 PC, 4 half- share henchmen and 2 quarter share henchmen.
The preferred pot is half the total. 500sp. Each of the 4 PCs gets a full share, 125sp
The general pot is also 500sp. This is divided among 4 full, 4 half and 2 quarter shares or 6.5 shares (26 quarters) with comes out to 19.23 sp per quarter share. If you agree on how to round that then we'll use that. Otherwise I'd give everyone 19sp for each quarter they get and use the 6 left over pennies as a bonus for the NPCs. NPCs are traditionally very bad at saving money so don't worry as you will never see it again.

Last major preference is for dungeons vs overland adventures. You are free to pursue either or both as you like. Dungeons are more dangerous and they have better loot. You are soldiers of fortune so I expect you to have a decently high tolerance for risk. Be prudent, but be bold. :SAN:

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Do we know anything about the icons to the SW and NW?

To the group, maybe a scouting expedition to the icons, if they are interesting?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by kalstone »

Do you mean the hexes immediately adjacent to Borderton? If so, I agree.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Leitz »

kalstone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:55 pm Do you mean the hexes immediately adjacent to Borderton? If so, I agree.
I'm thinking the icons to the SW and NW. That would give us a goal, the experience of going there and back, and more information if there is something to adventure in there.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by kalstone »

Sorry. Which icons do you mean?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

kalstone wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:15 pm Sorry. Which icons do you mean?
On the map.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by scarik »

The mini icons are lower quality than I had thought.

3 Hexes SW: Its a wizard hat. The Wizard lives there.

NW along the road are water icons at the settlements. The grasslands are dry and streams are rare so its important to know where the water is.

Way NW where the blue lines that are meant to be rivers cross is a waterfall. From west of there onward the river is in a gorge like the Grand Canyon. There are caves in that region. Chaotic ones.

I'll add more to the Locations page to explain things. I just got this up while at work.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

scarik, if the PCs ask around (and have their NPCs ask around), what income generating challenges seem reasonable?

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:12 pm scarik, if the PCs ask around (and have their NPCs ask around), what income generating challenges seem reasonable?
You can all find work in with your Skill. There is always a need for the sort of labor that earns up to 6sp a month.

But, let's assume you don care much for that grind, and good on you! You are PCs, a thing that means nothing in game (and there are no bennies or fate points so it doesn't mean much out of game either :lol: ), but being 1st level is a big deal. Its also obvious to most people that the PCs have abilities and potential beyond that of the common man. Ji-Ho has nearly even odds in a fight against all three of his henchman at once for instance.

I'm still adding stuff, but for now the obvious way to earn is to go west into the badlands and crack open an abandoned Dwarfhold. Its a ten day journey on foot if all goes well to get to the lonely mountain (don't worry, there's been no dragon sightings) so you need to outfit a band for a minimum of three weeks just to get there and back. Its an expense most people here can't afford but for those who have some silver at hand...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

What is the cost per person, per week. Does it help if we have a hunter?

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by scarik »

I am checking my math today. The cost of provisioning is generally greater than the cost of wages when on the march so you do save money if you have enough hunters or such to feed everyone. The real advantage of a hunter is that if you run out of food you can keep on going without starving in case things go wrong.

Once the others post I'll speak more to their roles.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#16 Post by Leitz »

I will be read-only (at best) all weekend.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by scarik »

I'm gonna spend my time this weekend making my notes better and adding things to the forum.

Feel free to offer feedback and ask questions. I'm still working on a launch post and I'm going to make a combat example since that's the most divergent part of this hack.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by scarik »

I have made the first in character post. All of the players arrive on this day. Most came with the caravan as guards and porters though our Elven friend Zenkris has arrived on his own from the west on the same day.

scarik
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by scarik »

Feel free to post in the To Adventure thread.

Also, do not hesitate to tell me what else you want/need to go ahead.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”