Discussion (out of character thread)

scarik
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Discussion (out of character thread)

#261 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Maps are good. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#262 Post by scarik »

Will move on tomorrow and get the dungeon crawl going. This is a very small dungeon so it will help people get a handle on what to expect in more challenging ones.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Leitz »

Do we assume that the rear watchtower entrance was even more blockaded than the one we've been to?

I may be confused on this, I thought the other exit was on the far side of the hill. Is there one there, or am I just lost in space?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#264 Post by scarik »

The entrances face SW and NW on the hillside but they both lead in to the corridor west of Room 2. I'll draw it put when I get to my computer.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Leitz »

No worries, I just misunderstood.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#266 Post by scarik »

Just for the record: you can certainly opt your PC or any of your henchmen out of dungeon delving at any time. The cost is that those characters won't get a share of anything recovered. If a PC sits an exploration out with their henchman this is not an issue, but if you leave any behind and go yourself and then strike a big haul that's cause for a Loyalty test. On the other hand if the PC sits out and sends henchmen that PC doesn't get a share but their followers do. Leaders are free to claim up to 20% of their henchmen's takes as well.

My outside perspective is that the PCs will always risk it and contribute while henchmen are free to come and go. Some situations will have a max amount of people able to help so will limit henchmen. Eventually when you get to a larger dungeon environment you will have to split up resources.

GreyWolfVT

#267 Post by GreyWolfVT »

oh lord let me guess I missed a new topic and am very behind in posting? Serves me for relying on my notifications usually on here I'm multitasking so I don't noticed new things that I'm not subscribed to sorry.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Leitz »

Hey all, I don't know if you know this, but if you click the "Subscribe Forum" link at the bottom of the main forum page, the "Notifications" bell at the top of every page will give you a red dot with a number in it when there are posts to the forum. This will even work if an entirely new thread gets started.

If you have email notifications enabled, they may work. I find the red Notifications dot to be a more reliable system.

GreyWolfVT

#269 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thanks for that I had never seen that before and don't recall it ever having been there in the past so not sure when it was added but I appreciate the awareness of it now.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Leitz »

scarik, is there enough call for something like a Explorer or Delver skill? I know a lot of D&D games assume the PCs are familiar with going deep into the underground areas, but that's likely because most players have been doing this for a while. While subterrainian species like dwarves would be much better at it initially, there are still lots of things that are not normally encountered. Sort of like not all surface dwellers are Hunters.

For the record, I have done the grotto thing and, um, the wandering into places long abandoned thing. My D&D training served me well. :)

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#271 Post by scarik »

Merry Christmas to all. I'll be busy through the day (and have been for the past few) and will get back to serious gaming tomorrow.
Leitz wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:47 pm scarik, is there enough call for something like a Explorer or Delver skill? I know a lot of D&D games assume the PCs are familiar with going deep into the underground areas, but that's likely because most players have been doing this for a while. While subterrainian species like dwarves would be much better at it initially, there are still lots of things that are not normally encountered. Sort of like not all surface dwellers are Hunters.

For the record, I have done the grotto thing and, um, the wandering into places long abandoned thing. My D&D training served me well. :)
Sengrim has the Explorer class (its halfling for Ranger basically) but there can be any skill that you think might be useful. Delver, Caver, Miner, all seem like they would be helpful here.

Bofur is a Prospector and a dwarf so his general caving skill is also above that of the other characters.

GreyWolfVT

#272 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Caving skill hmm is that like mountaineering? Or more like outdoorsman skill for inside caves?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#273 Post by scarik »

I have been thinking about skill application in general and I find myself coming back around to GURPS and Shadowrun default systems. Let's call them 'secondary skills' and if you think its related to your primary skill then you can roll with a -2 penalty.

I'll expand on the section in the rules doc with more.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:11 pm Caving skill hmm is that like mountaineering? Or more like outdoorsman skill for inside caves?
Skills are a loosey goosey, but that's how I see it. Use it to orient, navigate, predict dangerous spaces, etc.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Leitz »

Can Drotik get off a crossbow shot before they are hidden? Also, would a person be able to shoot them if they are in their lair, and then change to sword before they could leap and attack?

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#275 Post by scarik »

Oh you can definitely make missile attacks. 3 people can try, more if you make a Captain roll to put them in formation and make an orderly attack.

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#276 Post by roobeastie »

Would summoning berserkers be helpful, or should I save it?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Leitz »

roobeastie wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:56 pm Would summoning berserkers be helpful, or should I save it?
Thank you for volunteering! I'm not sure what Morwen can do, so knowing the options helps In this case, I'd say save it. We have a few missiles, even though our shooting was poor this round. If the spiders attack, we'll have more hand to hand capable types than spiders, so it should go in our favor. If they crawl back into their holes to hide, we can get plenty more grass, stuff it in the holes, and smoke 'em.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#278 Post by scarik »

Hodlar has a heavy crossbow and is happy to bullseye some womprats spiders.

Morwen has 2* spell points and has spent one. I recommend against using magic on the spiders. Also I should have reminded you that you can cast Unseen Servant (all your spells actually) as a ritual and spend silver instead of your spell points. Its a shilling (though Corbin gave you a bunch of reagents which can be expended for this as well as potions)

*+1 stored in her arcane focus for a rainy day.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Leitz »

On spell casting, I wold agree with scarik. Spell points, for any level of caster, are limited. Magic is really good for those things that can't be done "normally", like using the zombies to fan out the smoke. While there are offensive and defensive spells, it is Jing Ji-ho's responsibility to make sure the spell casters don't have to use spells to defend themselves. Except for my mistake with not including missile weapons in the purchases, we have a fairly good fighting component. With a bard, a rogue, a necromancer, and a cleric, we have a well rounded party and a great opening line to a joke.

scarik, now that I've complemented you, is it possible for the group to move forward enough that the dwarves can use throwing axes? :D

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#280 Post by scarik »

I'm gonna give it til this evening for more responses then autopilot everyone through Round 1

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”