B/X hacked with Chainmail 4-6 players optimal

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: B/X hacked with Chainmail 4-6 players optimal

#21 Post by Leitz »

Does sword cover 1-handed and 2-handed? Would a spear be more likely than a shield or hatchet?
sword, dagger, hatchet, shield, self bow
On languages, Magyar makes sense as he's starting from the bottom and leading by example. When he gets ready to talk to the nobles, he'll do so on favorable terms. The buddy is Buyeo and the youngbloods are semi-local European.

Addendum

Jing Ji-ho (JJh) has a Morale/Loyalty modifier, and the two Youngbloods are guys (?) who rolled a maximum reaction. As you said, less to go back to, but JJh has set upon the path of building his own cadre. It will probably get to be a polyglot bunch, but he'll spend time growing them as sub-leaders as well.
Last edited by Leitz on Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Kenjosephus »

I did have a human fighter in my previous B/X campaign who resides in the more or less same culture as your world (Slavic name and community in a England inspired land). Will play that to hopefullly gain some closure to his story either in life or death.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by kalstone »

I'm thinking of playing an elf mage. A treasure-hunter/Indiana Jones type named Zenkris. He's come from far to the west in search of lost secrets.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by scarik »

I asked to get this game a forum started so once that happens I'll make a bunch of posts with rules you can reference at your leisure and some info dumping.

Don't worry overmuch about making a balanced party. We don't need to fill out any roles to make this work. Play what you want and hire who you need otherwise. Or join another group as that will be at least one of the options once we begin.

Do remember that Humans can have Henchmen of any race (some get Loyalty penalties) while other races have more significant restrictions (Elves can only have elves!), but animals are available to all though they don't level up unless you are a Beastfriend or get an exception through play.

Dogs, small hawks, mules, asses, cats are all fine. I'd hold off on livestock other than a goat since they make fine pets and are cheap to support.
Leitz wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:14 am Does sword cover 1-handed and 2-handed? Would a spear be more likely than a shield or hatchet?
sword, dagger, hatchet, shield, self bow
On languages, Magyar makes sense as he's starting from the bottom and leading by example. When he gets ready to talk to the nobles, he'll do so on favorable terms. The buddy is Buyeo and the youngbloods are semi-local European.

Addendum

Jing Ji-ho (JJh) has a Morale/Loyalty modifier, and the two Youngbloods are guys (?) who rolled a maximum reaction. As you said, less to go back to, but JJh has set upon the path of building his own cadre. It will probably get to be a polyglot bunch, but he'll spend time growing them as sub-leaders as well.
You can trade your shield or your bow for a spear. Or you can buy one. Its the most basic of weapons after all. When I said you can't afford 'better' weapons what I mean is you can't have a coat of plates, or steel greaves nor a barbut, nor a longsword or halberd etc. Rules wise you can't afford to change your Armed and Armored status. That will hopefully make more sense as we go.

Starting Loyalty for Chargen Henchmen is 1 at Great (your Buddy) then 2 at Good, then up to 4 at Average. The absolute maximum number of henchmen you can have is 8 right now (with +3 Charisma and Leader) and there is a good chance you can't afford to support that many long enough to actually finish an adventure. Plus the quality of those Average guys is Conscript. In combat right now your Youngbloods are second line troops who hold your flanks with their spears. I wouldn't risk them against anything more dangerous than a goblin if you can help it.

Eventually you'll have more time to train them, and cash to equip them and I I use the same general method of training that you remember. One day they will maybe make it to full Fighter status, but not any time soon.
Kenjosephus wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:37 am I did have a human fighter in my previous B/X campaign who resides in the more or less same culture as your world (Slavic name and community in a England inspired land). Will play that to hopefullly gain some closure to his story either in life or death.
Many people assume that Northmen are berserkers or shapeshifters. That is not at all common though so play into it of not as you like.

What sort of skill do you want? Never hurts to have a Hunter.

kalstone wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:07 pm I'm thinking of playing an elf mage. A treasure-hunter/Indiana Jones type named Zenkris. He's come from far to the west in search of lost secrets.
Lucky you, all Elves are Mages. ;)

Treasure hunter makes we think you're interested in being a mage-thief so you can dodge giant boulders. Scholar seems like the best skill.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by Kenjosephus »

Sure, my initial concept is a ranger. So i'm okay with being a hunter

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by scarik »

Forum acquired.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=1444

I am populating it with useful threads today.

The Discussion thread is where I ask you to direct your replies going forward.

We have 4 interested people and 1 lurker. I can still consider 2 more active players. Others will be wait listed for the present.

Le Noir Faineant
Strider
Strider

#27 Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Count me in, please! I've had an exceptionally busy week, but I should be able to submit the character tomorrow, and generally be able to make all the time to participate as is due - and as I like to. :)

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by scarik »

Le Noir Faineant wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:21 pm Count me in, please! I've had an exceptionally busy week, but I should be able to submit the character tomorrow, and generally be able to make all the time to participate as is due - and as I like to. :)
No worries. I'm not in a rush, still plenty of stuff to upload and get prepared, :biggrin:

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by tibbius »

I'm very interested by this and would like to lurk a bit. Is there a game forum now?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:04 pm I'm very interested by this and would like to lurk a bit. Is there a game forum now?
Still room, hop on in!. The rules link is there, too.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:04 pm I'm very interested by this and would like to lurk a bit. Is there a game forum now?
Leitz beat me too it!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

Still plenty of room for more PCs. Um, since we just got jumped by large spiders, and my character is up front, there may be even more room available. :shock:

For those who like simplified rules with logical consistency, this is the way to go.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:56 am Still plenty of room for more PCs. Um, since we just got jumped by large spiders, and my character is up front, there may be even more room available. :shock:

For those who like simplified rules with logical consistency, this is the way to go.
Thanks for the assist.

The game is going well, I think its found a rhythm. Since I've been out of the PbP scene for a bit it took me a bit to get the tempo even. Hopefully it stays engaging without being too fast of too slow.

PCs are second level which is a big jump in any edition and even larger in this one in terms of combat ability.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by Edeldhur »

I would love to join the game, if there is room.

Took a brief look at your rules, and I am already feeling I will be very hard pressed to NOT be a Swordmage. They just sound cool :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Leitz »

Welcome aboard! We're doing a lot of fighting so far, but magic is welcome and useful!

So far the hardest transition has been metagame, the group is both Adventuring Party and Mercenary Company (see the notes on those). A dwarf hired my character, who then got everyone else engaged under his "banner". It's a little different than when the whole party meets in a bar, but we've been mostly successful. At first level, our group was able to take on our number in ogres (4+1 HD) and win. We lost one 0 level henchman, and took several weeks to recover, but we did win.

I met scarik, the DM, several years ago on another forum. He ran one of my all time favorite games; it lasted several years and the PCs and their henchmen became major players in the game culture. This game has that same potential, and I'm really looking forward to it.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by scarik »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:41 am I would love to join the game, if there is room.

Took a brief look at your rules, and I am already feeling I will be very hard pressed to NOT be a Swordmage. They just sound cool :)
You have been added to the game forum. Post in Discussion to introduce yourself.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Edeldhur »

Thank you! I am on my way.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by scarik »

I have more room in this game for anyone interested.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Leitz »

We're about to have a major battle, and then return to civilization. If you want to try an easy to play game that moves fairly quickly, jump on in!

Return to “Looking for players or games”