Happy New Year!!!

BackworldTraveller
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Happy New Year!!!

#221 Post by ateno »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm Phoenix, Andras and Helen see the lone figure facing the mob...Quick, into the hotel. Best avoid trouble states the guard.
"Agreed, we can check to see if it's on the net somewhere. Let's go relax for now."
Phoenix

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#222 Post by cybersavant »

Elzelil Rickert Andras follows Phoenix, but keeps glancing out, especially at the lone figure and the mob.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Grognardsw »

Isaac C. Heinlein (Ike), security, mercenary Catching up...

Ike accompanied Solomon as he worked the room using persuasion, diplomacy and carousing. Ike hoped to carouse with the Sword-World Valkyries but they seemed all business.
BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:35 am
...Boronu suggests that you meet him at the Town Hall. There's a heads-of-family meeting there - we can find somewhere to sit down and discuss the issue. Getting tangled in internal rock politics can be detrimental. Tangling directly with LSP doubly so.

You used to work with the new Maas guy? Lets see what his take is on this because a Maas/LSP alliance or Maas/LSP war is going to affect everyone.
Ike found his boss Boronu at the Town Hall. "Yes, I know Soloman Tukera. Maas Industries supports Koenig's Rock against LSP. His interests align with Crozat. He wants to delay LSP's approach and landing with safety inspection or some such. Hold them at range under guns until you’re satisfied they are who they say they are. Once landed, delay their arrival here as long as we can to gain time.”

"Boronu, can the Brotherhood make that happen? Who should I talk to?" Ike asked.

After talking with Boronu, Ike noticed an opening with the younger Valkyrie.
The elder Valkyrie tips her head at the younger who moves off...
Ike approached the younger Valkyrie, put on his best smile, and introduced himself. "I'm Isaac Heinlein, of the Brotherhood of Solace. Sword Worlders are rare though welcome sights. Who may I ask are you?"

A few minutes after the Valkyrie conversation, Ike rejoined Sol and said: "I can try to delay LSP's approach and arrival. My client is the Crozat Clan, whose interests align with you and Maas. Crozat's matriarch Emeline is in the hospital. I've yet to find her daughter Anya here." He looked around the crowd again. "The Crozat's run the power plant. Her children and grand-children are scattered across multiple families making her part of the intangible glue that binds the rock together," he added expositorily.

Ike remembered Mrs. Crozat's words...
"...And remember, I don't want War with the LSP- but I will make sure that should one turn up, we stay free. The strike this morning was anonymous and careful to hit things not people (except me - by accident I think). Seems that's the rules they will accept. Stick to that unless I say so. You are Police not Army."
Ike said to Sol: "Crozat is aligned with your goal, but would prefer that war not break out."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by The Bindoner »

Nehnya, knowing it is likely both useless and dangerous, attempts to reason with the mob;

I was there, the plates failed because the power plant was attacked. These people did neither. Why would they? Think - they live here, they work here, alongside you. And they might be able to get the parts I need to fix things. No-one else has.

Looking around for threats or help, she recognises Andras and Pheonix. She has no claim on Pheonix's attention, but her ex-student is another matter:

Andras? Over here!

Nehnya has been so focused on finding the specific items on her list she has not yet had time to consider alternate options (such as using multiple smaller systems to emulate a larger one, or fabricating a replacement from components/materials salvaged from other units)

Persuade: [_2d6]=(4+1)=5 +2 Int, +1 Skill = 8

Recon: [_2d6]=(5+5)=10 +2 Int, +1 Skill = 13

Engineer/Power: [_2d6]=(3+1)=4 +1 Skill, +2 Int =7

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by cybersavant »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:50 pm Nehnya, looking around for threats or help, she recognises Andras and Pheonix. She has no claim on Pheonix's attention, but her ex-student is another matter: Andras? Over here!
Elzelil Rickert Andras looks over his shoulder and sees that Nehnyamodh has spotted him. "Phoenix, someone from my past has caught up to me. I'll join you soon."

He stop and waits for Nehnyamodh to join him. "Hello. I didn't expect to run into anyone i know out here." He shifts and fidgets a bit since being spotted. "What brings you here?"
gaming since 1980

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by The Bindoner »

Nehnya hurries toward Andras, but keeps her attention on the crowd: I'm on a sabbatical, and my ship has a layover here. Which is not a coincidence. A colleague booked the trip, so I could see Phoenix live. Can you introduce me?

She looks around at the mob before adding:

She would be very useful in preventing this getting out of hand, I am thinking.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#227 Post by cybersavant »

Elzelil Rickert Andras "Your ship is here? Anyone else groundside?" Andras looks around s he asks. "Phoenix?" Sure, she's just up ahead. Come on." Andras leads Nehnyamodh to his current employer. "Phoenix, an old ... friend is here on sabbatical. She came to listen to you. This is Nehnyamodh." As the two talk, Andras again scans the crowd.
gaming since 1980

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by ateno »

cybersavant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:05 am "Phoenix, an old ... friend is here on sabbatical. She came to listen to you. This is Nehnyamodh." As the two talk, Andras again scans the crowd.
"Nehnyamodh, always good to meet a fan, you have worked around this area? Or has some of my music gone as far as your space?"

She smiles and offers her hand.

Phoenix

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Nenhya explains to Andras and Phoenix her mission to find the means to get the power-plant needed and displays her very poorly populated list of available parts from the majority of the scrap yards which she has already visited. This is the last hope! But, a group of locals seem to be taking the simple way out by "blaming the Vargr" for the disaster and, as a result, the Vargr have shut up shop. Helen is somewhat concerned as she knows that the Brotherhood is supposed to be providing the Vargr with security!

Ike is heading off to the port - considering how he can buy time to allow Solomon to galvanise unified opposition to any direct LSP power play.

Solomon is stood before the town leaders with his plan...

...And Einar is there, watching the crowd, as the plan is revealed! The LSP representatives are retiring from view - but who is still fighting their corner? Why are the two Sword-Worlders there? Who are they? And how will the Independent Miners triumph and Maas make a Profit?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#230 Post by Hvalreki »

Solomon Tukera

Solomon is stood before the town leaders with his plan.
Solomon smiles and meets the dour faces of the various delegations. "Never let them see you sweat," he thinks as a trickle drips down between his shoulder blades.

"Friends, Belters and esteemed colleagues. Thank you for allowing us to grace your council. I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting most of you but as it happens current events require expediency.

As you're well aware, yesterday unknown forces attacked your home, our home putting every man, woman and child's life at risk. I've only recently retired my commission and relocated to Koenig's rock to start a new chapter but I will not stand idly by when lives are thrown recklessly into danger. I grew up in a belt system and I'm well aware of the dangers that come with habitat living.

As a representative of MAAS Industries we stand ready to support the investigation, cleanup or repair however we can and more importantly how you all decide things should proceed.

We all just learned that LSP has dispatched a customs enforcement ship and is sending their own "investigators" and a senior manager. I needn't remind anyone here about the Bifrost incident but now it seems with our Mass Driver down things might be looking up again for LSP.

I would encourage this council to come together, and quickly I might add, to make some firm decisions on your plans to move forward with the investigation and repair. It would be in all of our collective interest to have those plans ratified and in place before the offworld delegation arrives.

Thank you."

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#231 Post by ateno »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:13 pm Nenhya explains to Andras and Phoenix her mission to find the means to get the power-plant needed and displays her very poorly populated list of available parts from the majority of the scrap yards which she has already visited. This is the last hope! But, a group of locals seem to be taking the simple way out by "blaming the Vargr" for the disaster and, as a result, the Vargr have shut up shop. Helen is somewhat concerned as she knows that the Brotherhood is supposed to be providing the Vargr with security!
"Groups of people look after their own after a big problem, Lets find something that we can all agree on and build from that, I've seen that work before. Also, if it will help, I speak Gvegh."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Hvalreki wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:33 am Solomon Tukera

Solomon is stood before the town leaders with his plan.
Solomon smiles and meets the dour faces of the various delegations. "Never let them see you sweat," he thinks as a trickle drips down between his shoulder blades.

"Friends, Belters and esteemed colleagues. Thank you for allowing us to grace your council. I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting most of you but as it happens current events require expediency.

As you're well aware, yesterday unknown forces attacked your home, our home putting every man, woman and child's life at risk. I've only recently retired my commission and relocated to Koenig's rock to start a new chapter but I will not stand idly by when lives are thrown recklessly into danger. I grew up in a belt system and I'm well aware of the dangers that come with habitat living.

As a representative of MAAS Industries we stand ready to support the investigation, cleanup or repair however we can and more importantly how you all decide things should proceed.

We all just learned that LSP has dispatched a customs enforcement ship and is sending their own "investigators" and a senior manager. I needn't remind anyone here about the Bifrost incident but now it seems with our Mass Driver down things might be looking up again for LSP.

I would encourage this council to come together, and quickly I might add, to make some firm decisions on your plans to move forward with the investigation and repair. It would be in all of our collective interest to have those plans ratified and in place before the offworld delegation arrives.

Thank you."

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

LSP kills the Bifrost and still can't get anyone to work for them; Maas takes over the Rock; Next there won't be any independent Belt! Bloody Imperials.
Chuck Chtiztsinjtla, that isn't helpful. states Lydia Ishi.
The room erupts into shouting.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by BackworldTraveller »

ateno wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:18 pm
BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:13 pm Nenhya explains to Andras and Phoenix her mission to find the means to get the power-plant needed and displays her very poorly populated list of available parts from the majority of the scrap yards which she has already visited. This is the last hope! But, a group of locals seem to be taking the simple way out by "blaming the Vargr" for the disaster and, as a result, the Vargr have shut up shop. Helen is somewhat concerned as she knows that the Brotherhood is supposed to be providing the Vargr with security!
"Groups of people look after their own after a big problem, Lets find something that we can all agree on and build from that, I've seen that work before. Also, if it will help, I speak Gvegh."
And with that, the four (Phoenix, Andras, Nehnya and a very nervous Helen) approach the salvage company offices and the crowd outside.
Gvegh might help with those inside suggests Helen, quietly but I don't think those bravados will be impressed.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Grognardsw »

Isaac C. Heinlein (Ike), security, mercenary

Ike approached the younger Valkyrie, put on his best smile, and introduced himself...
BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm Elsa. is the curt answer. If you don't mind, I've an investment to protect. These cave-men seem intent on bickering and our contact is the odd-Vargr out. Don't want any accidents just now.

She looks at Ike very suspiciously.

You are a dark horse. Might have to find out about your history later. You got contact details?
"Yes Elsa, let's do that later." Ike took out his ident-card and exchanged contact information.

Ike found his boss Boronu at the Town Hall...
BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm
Hmmm...The KRPA's boss won't want to antagonise the LSP. I'm fairly sure he sees himself as the next head of LSP security for Bowman once Koenig's Rock is taken over. Try this...mention that you've come from the Town Hall - That they are still debating and that they need a delay and get them to make up their own method. Nicely deniable. No orders just suggestions.

And whatever you do, don't shoot anyone or anything. We're de-escalating and delaying not starting the Fifth Frontier War!
Ike headed over to the KRPA's office per Boronu's suggestion.

I assume Ike knows who the KRPA boss is by name (or he would have asked Boronu.)

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by Hvalreki »

Solomon Tukera

LSP kills the Bifrost and still can't get anyone to work for them; Maas takes over the Rock; Next there won't be any independent Belt! Bloody Imperials.

Solomon leans in close to Odo Maas so he can hear him over the cacophony of angry voices.

"Look Odo, you're the best salesman I've ever met. You better start talking and persuade this forum they need to take action and right now. If we wait until LSP and their "investigators" arrive it's too late. On the other hand if the council has already voted on a course of action there isn't a lot they can do, well immediately anyway. Now get up there and get their attention!"

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#236 Post by dongriffiths »

Einar:

Seeing the meeting heading toward chaos Einar steps close to Sigur Firebrand.

"What do you want me to do sir? This is liable to turn nasty whatever the eventually decide."

He continues to scan the room trying to determine where alliances are forming.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Hvalreki wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 am Solomon Tukera

Solomon leans in close to Odo Maas so he can hear him over the cacophony of angry voices.

"Look Odo, you're the best salesman I've ever met. You better start talking and persuade this forum they need to take action and right now. If we wait until LSP and their "investigators" arrive it's too late. On the other hand if the council has already voted on a course of action there isn't a lot they can do, well immediately anyway. Now get up there and get their attention!"
Einar, Odo and Solomon watch as the Argument cycles the room. It quickly becomes obvious that the room is becoming xenophobic in its attitude - Those supporting any outside influence are being shouted down in favour of "going it alone".

Odo tries to intervene...

...and manages to be heard.

OK - So you don't want outside help? Then you have to pull together.

You have to get your ores to the refinery even without power. There are not many ships that are big enough do that. Will DeLambre charter their hauler to you? Will others?

You need power. Not just enough to run the basic systems but extra. Can you buy that from Belter's ships in the short term? For the long term, there is no choice but to look outside the system for parts - But there are wide choices there.

How will you pay? Was the plant insured against terrorists? Does anyone have the millions to invest? Whatever happens the ore-flow is going to be critical and the only police-cutter in-system is LSP controlled, with a Pirate hanging about too. You need a plan. Maas can be part of that (or not) but whatever you decide you need that plan.

The room restarts the shouting as Odo cedes the floor...but the substantive elements of Odo's speech seem to have had a consolidating effect. Odo suggests that Imperial Corporative Representatives withdraw - much to the room's approbation.

Einar sees a number of people in the room look astounded by the change of mood. His lack of local knowledge means he can't immediately put names to faces - but he does get a good look at those people. Sigur looks amused by the change. That was unexpected! Very persuasive that Odo from Maas. It'll really put the Sarcat in the Jokuls!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:10 pm Isaac C. Heinlein (Ike), security, mercenary

Ike found his boss Boronu at the Town Hall...
BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm
Hmmm...The KRPA's boss won't want to antagonise the LSP. I'm fairly sure he sees himself as the next head of LSP security for Bowman once Koenig's Rock is taken over. Try this...mention that you've come from the Town Hall - That they are still debating and that they need a delay and get them to make up their own method. Nicely deniable. No orders just suggestions.

And whatever you do, don't shoot anyone or anything. We're de-escalating and delaying not starting the Fifth Frontier War!
Ike headed over to the KRPA's office per Boronu's suggestion.

I assume Ike knows who the KRPA boss is by name (or he would have asked Boronu.)
David Mullins is the head

The trip to the KPRA office is uneventful - straight to the top-deck by lift and then out to the cargo area.

The offices are quite unassuming from the outside, but they are secured as they double as the flight-control centre for the port.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Nehnya, Andras, Helen and Phoenix prepare to face the uncouth group outside the Vargr Salvage Yard gate.

As they approach, they are noticed and the group turn towards them challenging them to pass on by.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Grognardsw »

Isaac C. Heinlein (Ike), security, mercenary

Ike approached the entrance to the KPRA office, showed his security ID, went in and asked for David Mullins.

Return to “Bowman (Traveller MgT2)”