Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Of Where-Rats and Mongrelmen.

#321 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring into the South Crypts

Veryn sneaks ahead, quietly observing and decides to head east along the bottom corridor, bypassing the rubble by clinging fingertips and toes into the stone walls niches. Inching himself along to avoid kicking rubble inadvertently and alerting anyone by noise created.

You can advance half way into the rubble strewn section before you are forced off the wall face as several chitinous insects wriggle out of the earth and mud that backs up behind the unstable and crumbling passage. Centipedes, long as a sword blade and inquisitive rather than aggressive, they wave antennae and multitudes of gripping legs in the rogue's direction.

Unstable wall vs 1-2 [1d6]=3.Giant Centipede: vs Veryn [1d20]=6 [1d20]=1

There is probably a 'swarm' of such insects in the section and passing beyond needs to happen with care lest the critters drop and bite upon any victim. Beyond the rubble, the east passage continues into the dark with a wider branching passage leading off at an angle to the NE.

Rum & Sigrid are in the vertical passage and can follow after Veryn or explore the four crypts nearby.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#322 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Clarification, currently there are several giant centipedes that crawls out from the wall and stands in my way, yes? Also, can i jump from where i am towards the end of the rubble corridor or at the start of the rubble corridor towards the party?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Spearmint »

You can try to dodge the Giant Centipedes with a successful Move Silently. Failure means that a few get attracted towards you and you may be nibbled at. Or you could give a successful Dex check to leap over the rubble vs [4d6]

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#324 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Veryn will leap off the wall, over the rubble towards the start of the rubble corridor where his companions at.

dexterity check [4d6]=22 vs 15

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Spearmint »

:oops: 22 is a fail!

Giant Centipede: vs Veryn [1d20]=1 [1d20]=7 [1d20]=10 [1d20]=5

You leap, dodging over rubble, landing on a stone that twists an ankle and you fall on the floor where several Giant centipedes crawl towards you but you equally wriggle away fast and out of reach.

To the direct east the passage continues, your infravision doesn't discern anything that way. To the NE the passage is wider (20'ft wide) and ends in a fancy crypt door after about twenty feet.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#326 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Okay, just gonna wait for the others to make their move, before Veryn gets into another trouble.Also, i did mention that Veryn is going to leap westward to his party instead of eastward .

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Spearmint »

Veryn, sure west is good. You note the features on the other side but can return to your companions without engaging any Centipedes.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#328 Post by Craigers07 »

Rum

Rum walks toward the T-intersection to the south and chooses to go left after seeing Veryn go that way. As he rounds the corner he will motion to Sigrid. He'll proceed towards the rubble to the east and assist Veryn in getting away from the centipedes.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#329 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Noted.

Veryn will regroup with the party eastward ,a little bit limping, and carefully without tripping any rubbles or bugs. A twist to the other side of the ankle ensure the fix as he inform the rest of what he saw.

He then looks towards Rum.

Also Rum, as a dwarf with good knowledge of stonecraft, do you know how to collapse a wall behind us? I swear, when i climb that thing, i felt that the wall will fall down on me.Maybe we can use that to our advantage if we got chased by dozen of zombie.

He then will check for trap with his 10 foot pole as he heads towards north east to the fancy door, seeing if the door has any similiarity with the double door he first encountered westward of the cross stair platform.

find trap vs 20% [1d100]=16 remove trap vs 25% [1d100]=32

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Spearmint »

fancy door is NE of the east end of the rubble pile. But I will use your action to comb the west of this horizontal passage and probe by the four curtained alcoves.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#331 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

Okay, a little clarification. What i mean westward means that i go back to where i initially came from, not explore west. Recently, Rum has followed me east and because Veryn purpose of leaping west from the wall is to regroup with the party, it's sort of counter-intuitive. So Veryn will return eastwards and check the fancy door, unless the party objects or so.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Spearmint »

sorry, we must be confusing each other. No problem here is an updated map with two options for Veryn.

A) west corridor, using pole to trap find.

B) east of rubble at crypt door.

Just confirm your preference. There are no Giant Centipedes except in the rubble portion.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Spearmint »

sorry, we must be confusing each other. No problem here is an updated map with two options for Veryn.

A) west corridor, using pole to trap find.

B) east of rubble at crypt door.

Just confirm your preference. There are no Giant Centipedes except in the rubble portion.

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-03-29-18-14-21-558~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-29-18-14-21-558~2.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 149 times

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#334 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn
Veryn is at B: east of rubble of crypt door

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#335 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn
Okay, since Veryn intention is to regroup with the party and based on the map, it seems that the party cannot go through the rubble portion without being attacked by the swarm. I changed my mind and decide to go west to the curtain corridor. Same treatment, search for trap and such. I just don't want to edit out a large chunk of my post. Also, roleplay wise, it's what Veryn would've done initially with the exception of the party already heading eastward when Veryn leap off the wall.

Looking at the situaton, Veryn will be at A instead and search for trap by unveiling the curtain carefully without alerting its residence.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#336 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Trying to remain as silent as possible, the light-footed mage will follow Rum's movements.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Mongrelmen Crypts:

Minions: vs 25% [1d100]=20 [1d6]=3

The group sneakily advance down the passage, assessing the area before choosing to bust any doors. It means Veryn can stealth ahead though he retreats from passing through the unstable rubble as many centipedes lurk about and passing that way may provoke the critters to wriggle upon you. The westward end of the lower corridor has more curtained alcoves and crypts. The rogue carefully pulls aside the first of the four curtains, revealing a basic ten foot square crypt that has minor burial alcoves for bones and memorabilia of the deceased. You step inside to finger through the cobwebbed and dusty items, not really locating anything above a scrappy trinket value.

As Rum & Sigrid peer around the adjoining corridor, the far crypt door on the west opens and a trio of robed figures exit, walking in the corridor, stopping as the faint light from torches and lanterns cast tell-tale shadows into the passage. The three look up from their hooded garb, one clutching an emblem or holy symbol. They approach cautiously

Rum can note their approach, signalling to those behind, Sigrid & Sundance that an encounter looks imminent.

Veryn can remain hidden to surprise them if you wish.

Further up the corridor, Callan can "hush" the Mongrelmen group. The Ygg priest dims his lantern, the group taking to the area above the platform of steps.

next Actions please

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#338 Post by Kenjosephus »

Veryn

I don't have any trick off my sleeve for this case, so are we down to fight, or do you guys have any idea on how to overcome this?
Also, Spearmint, where am i right now and how far am i from the three cultist?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Spearmint »

They came from furthest door west. Veryn, you are in Alcove D, which on the map is the fourth curtain closest to the rubble.

Rum, Sigrid & Co in the vertical passage.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#340 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Readies herself intending to follow Rum's lead. She reaches into her components pouch to ready a spell should a battle ensue.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”