Return To The Ruins (Warlords Palace)

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Return To The Ruins (Warlords Palace)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Brothel Next Door

The hard basement floor at the brothel next door is about what you might expect from one of those classy places that doesn’t even have a name displayed outside the building. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon your views, the party of budding adventurers can’t actually afford to indulge in the establishments widespread carnal indecencies themselves, after spending most of their coin on supplies for there return expedition in the morning.

Leaving word of their whereabouts with Mooreen, they hope to reconnect with Ceana and possibly a few others before departing. Yearning to learn more about this strange slave cult and their hidden snake-men masters, the whispering call from the distant desert is hard to resist. Hopefully, they find riches enough to elevate them from their current living conditions this time.

I will add to this as I come up with things, but thought this would be a good place to get started. I trust that everyone has adjusted their sheets with new items and subtracted the appropriate coinage. If there is anything else you want to cover before we start, we can do that now, while I get the Ceana visit worked out. If I forgot anything you specifically asked about, please remind me.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return To The Ruins (Warlords Palace)

#2 Post by shaidar »

Xenos looks around the dingy basement and then at his compatriots.

"It's not ideal, but Sik will bring notice to us and this is a good place to hide." he pauses for a second, considering something, before continuing "In the past I have intimated that someone in Xambaala might be looking for me and I think you deserve the truth. I trust you with this information, but would ask that you do not tell anyone else."

He turns his back to the others and removes his tunic to reveal a back covered in healed whip scars. On his left shoulder is a very old rough brand mark of a jawless skull surrounded by a circle of 8 dots. On his right should is an exquisite tattoo : A fanged jawless skull with glowing yellow eyes is surrounded by a circle of 8 blood red tears.

"I am not Ixian, at least not fully. My mother was a Kimmerian, and my father was her Ixian master. My father enjoyed making many children with his slaves. I will not utter his name, but my father is a moderately renowned necromancer in Yithorium. He often visits Xambaala, usually to go to the astrologers tower. As a child I was used as a messenger and link-boy both in Yithorium and here. When I got older I was inducted into my father's bodyguard, which is where I learned my warlock skills. Then, on a visit to Xambaala I was given an opportunity to escape and I took it. I spent a few days hiding out here before I managed to find passage to Port Zangerios." he pauses for a second and sighs " Now you know why I want to find enough money to leave this place and go far away. In the meantime I can pass as Ixian, so I pretend to be the thing I despise in order to survive. "

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Your secret is safe with me. As an outcast everywhere I have ever been I appreciate your situation."

Yes my sheet has been updated.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by The_Wanderer »

Rex wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:50 pm Drest

"Your secret is safe with me..."
Cyril
"Likewise with me, Xenos. Not least because I have a terrible memory. Really awful.

Also if you would like me to adjust your tattoo at all, I am totally willing."

He holds up his small tattoo kit with his left hand upon which has writing in tiny, undecipherable script. His hand catches his eye and he says.

"Would you look at that..." He then uses a needle and ink to add a small mark to the writing, grimacing as he does so. Once he is done he inspects his hand again and nods, satisfied.

My sheet is also updated.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"Thank you both, and I may take you up on that offer Cyril, the tattoo is a clear indication of my owner."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Great stuff here guys!

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus patiently and calmly listens to the Ixian's statement. In the end, the surprise in his voice cannot be hidden, no matter how much he seems to try to maintain his composure.

"That's quite a revelation. Thank you for trusting us. We will keep your secret and do our best to assist you. Your enemies are also my enemies. You can rely on my sword."

He then hesitates for a few seconds before adding: "Interestingly, you already know that I am Kimmerian, like your mother, Xenos. The curious thing is that I have experienced a similar situation, albeit with some differences, of course...

My father was one of the leaders of a Kimmerian mercenary band. I am the son he had with a farmer's daughter... who was not his wife. I spent my childhood with her until the day my father, whom I had never known until then, took me with him to learn the ways of the warrior. Most of my life has been spent as a mercenary, and that's practically all I know. My father... treated me like a father treats his son and a comrade treats his fellow comrade... It has been two years since I lost track of him, and I know nothing about his whereabouts.

Unlike you, I would like to be able to meet him someday, just like I would like to meet my mother again. But I doubt it will be in this place."

Sorry it took me so long to answer. It's been some hard weeks with a lot of stress. Now it looks it's gonna get back to normal. Hopefully it'll be so.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"Thank you Akhilleus, for your sword and sharing your story. Perhaps, when we get away from here, one day we will go searching for your parents."

No problem, I hope things settle down for you.

silifi
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by silifi »

Sik

Sik bows his head solemnly while listening intently to Xenos story. "I am sorry, Xenos. I had misjudged you." He extends his hand for a firm, brotherly handshake. "I cannot say that I share the desire to leave this place behind, however. Not yet. Not while our brothers remain in chains. "

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I understand and sympathies with your desire to free your brethren Sik, but you have much to do on that front. It will take more than even a simple revolt."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

Xenos returns Sik's handshake

"Sadly, I must make a very good Ixian. Drest is right, if you try and create some kind of revolt the Witch Queen will do anything to crush it. You do not want her gaze, and the powers of the necromancers of Yithorium, turned in your direction. The best you can hope for is find a way to have your people slip away to safety. I took one of the snake-peoples disguise amulets to help me move more safely around Xambaala. I think we have determined that it functions for an hour a day, but I was wondering if that time has to be all together or can be broken up, so I though we could test it while we are here safely hidden. "

Xenos is going to try and activate the amulet, holding the image for a minute, before deactivating it and trying the next one. His first image is Cormag, then Tuurma, then Snorri. He will also look to see if the change is only to his face or his whole body and whether it hides what it on his back.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While they plan out their trip resting at the brothel next door, the bonds among the group grow with each new personal revelation.

Even the native Sik announces his desire to do something for his people still enslaved by the masters here in Xambaala, but is quickly warned against doing anything that will put him or the others at risk from the higher powers who essentially run this place from far across the desert plane.

Xenos experiments further with his Amulet of Disguise, discovering that it will function up to three separate times each day, but still can only be used in a total of one hour sessions. Each new look he attempts, appears less and less convincing however, indicating the limited power of the otherwise convenient magical device.

The old make-up covered woman who Mooreen introduced them to eventually comes down the stairs to check on her guests. She looks everyone except Drest over with a longing glare, sizing them all up for possible future endeavors. “Any of you fine specimens fancy a bounce in the sack while you’re here? I can’t give you any more breaks on the cost, but my place is filled with willing girls….” she shrugs, and boys…willing to fulfill any of your carnal needs.”

She looks at Drest with disdain. “I suppose we could get a goat or pig down here as well, if that’s what you’re into.” She looks Sik over very cautiously, unsure what to make of the huge native who poses himself as a free man here in Xambaala.

“Humph”, is all she says about the situation.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest insults her back. Then goes on like nothing happened.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by shaidar »

Xenos tries not to laugh at the woman's pig comment or Drest's reply

"Not this evening good lady, but perhaps soon enough, when I have the funds for a really good time."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus tries to stay away from the exchange of insults. "I don't have much to add to what my friend here said. When I've got more money."

silifi
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by silifi »

Sik, sensing the woman's disdain, ignores her and the surrounding conversation. He has no interest in the women here, and is still little bit sullen at the rejection for his call for open revolt by the others.

He watches Xenos experimentation with the amulet, wary of the casual use of such cursed items, though reluctantly acknowledging the utility of such a device.

Discomforted by all of these strange things and at the way his life has taken a sharp turn over the last few days, he lays out his blanket on the basement floor and settles down for rest.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Maybe I should head back to the Last Plank and check if anyone else we know has arrived there?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"That's a good idea, just try not to get in a fight, you seem to rub people up the wrong way." he smiles to remove any sting from his words.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Drest

"That is the truth, no clue why. People are weird. But we had put oyt word we were looking for some of our former companions so think someone should check."

Drest will head back to The Last Plank just to check on who is there.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kain and Ceana, fresh off their recent real estate endeavors, decide to have a celebratory drink to honor their new investment. Along the way, they spot Taibhse and Belloc standing outside a nearby flop house, gathering them up as well to meet with the others.

As the group approaches the now familiar The Last Plank tavern, they spot a scuffle outside the building next door. A pair of very large and heavily armored women are beating the stuffing out of a single bloodied man, kicking and punching him incessantly.

When you get a little closer, you realize that you actually know this poor bastard. The pair of burly bodyguards sneer at you as they wrap up their bosses command, spitting on the bloodied-but-used-to-it Pict before heading back inside the brothel to man their posts again. “Boss don’t like insults, idiot.”

Drest just scowls and spits out another tooth to add to his growing collection. 1 dam

Xenos stands in the doorway, shaking his head at the Pict, waving for everyone to join them in their musty basement camp.

I thought it might be easier to have (almost) everyone together for a conversation while we still can before one group leaves the city again. Go ahead and make your plans and have conversations about the future.

Return to “Wandering Windswept Wastelands (HYPERBOREA)”