Return To The Ruins (Warlords Palace)

OGRE MAGE
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return To The Ruins (Warlords Palace)

#1061 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

Xenos watches Magda quietly until Kain speaks to her in Ixian. He glowers at Kain and speaks in Ixian himself

"This one has a tongue so sharp one day he will cut himself, and a nose that doesn't know when to stay out of others business, and he thinks he knows more than he does."

He turns to Magda and smiles, and switches to common.

"I am Xenos, a warlock. We are simply adventurers, seekers of knowledge and fortune. While we all involved in the combat, it was Akhilleus who struck the killing blow."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1062 Post by Rex »

Drest

"No more witch singing."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1063 Post by hedgeknight »

subaltari wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:44 pm Magda "But since we are down here in the dark, dear Ceana, tell me which year and month is it now? I fear I have lost much valuable time!"
Ceana shrugs. "Seems like we've been down here forever. Anybody know what day and month it is?"
Truthfully, I have no clue! :D
Monsieur Rose wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:52 pm Kainaxarthos
Kain sidles up to Ceana and mutters. "She's chatty, isn't she? Though I may do the same if I'd been a frog for months."
Ceana snorts. "I think it would be much worse in your case, my friend." She pats Kain affectionately on the shoulder.
Winter is coming...

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1064 Post by subaltari »

Magda
Monsieur Rose wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:52 pmKainaxarthos "A chaos follower, I see. Am I right to suspect that trouble follows you, perhaps you even encourage it?" He asks with a playful wink.
"Well the Matron turned me into a frog, for Goddess knows how long, so you can say that counts as trouble," Magda quips in return.

With a frown she listens to Kain's and Xenos' comments in Thracian/Ixian, then replies in the same language, "You both have something to say about your companions; might you introduce me now?"

Monsieur Rose wrote:Back to common: "Those dwarfs had nothing except refuse and waste, no trace of fine artifices. Perhaps you were truly ensorcelled for years if that was once true."
"Or perhaps you haven't yet explored their whole habitat. Have all the dwarfs been dispatched?"

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 pmDrest "No more witch singing."
Magda favors Drest with her prettiest smile so far. "So if I give my word I'll try not to sing too much, does that mean you'll take me with you?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1065 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I think we will consider it. The last witch singing didn't go well for us and I have been known to have a quick temper when I think I am at risk, which seems to always be the case."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1066 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

Once the warrior has overcome the initial shock and has patiently listened to the conversation with the priestess, he comments, "It's not a problem at all for me that you come with us. Especially if you were an enemy of the Matron. If you're on our side, you could be a powerful ally, but I warn you, we won't take any attempt at betrayal lightly.

To answer several of your questions: I dealt the fatal blow to the witch, but we all participated in the fight... in one way or another. My name is Akhilleus. I'm a Kimmerian, a former member of a mercenary band. My profession is war and battle, and we are exploring these caves in search of treasure and to satisfy our curiosity. Furthermore, we have plans to make this fortress ours.

Regarding the dwarfs. Despite what you tell us, the creatures we've faced don't seem to stand out for their intelligence or technology. They were small, brutish, aggressive animals that didn't listen to reason. We've been in a small section of these caves and have annihilated all who have opposed us, including their... larvae. We've found little of value, except for a figurine. No gems in their lair. We only found some here.

The clerics and mages of our company can tell you more about the powers of the objects we've found in this hut.

Is there anything else you know about this place that you can tell us?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1067 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't want to get too bogged down with details that can come back to bite me, so I haven't focused on an exact date when this takes place yet. Once it becomes more relevant, I will solidify that decision. Lets just say that Magda has been down here for a long, long time. Years, if necessary. :lol:

Still Under The Zakath Desert
Friendly Froggy
No Idea On Time Or Day

Though the mood is a bit tense, and not every word is a kind one, the group seems to accept the poor Ixian witches story as truth, reluctantly welcoming her and her special skills into the group. At least they have a pleasant (looking) memory of their encounters in this particular place now.

With the dwarf area searched over, it seems the group can either continue their explorations along the flowing waterway, or head back up to the surface to allow Magda a breath of fresh air and her first peek at dim desert sunshine in a long time.

Actions?

Drest (Sc4) FA:3 AC7 16/22
Xenos (DS3) FA:3 AC5 17/17
Akhilleus (F4) FA:4 AC4 19/35
Kainaxarthos (C2) FA:1 AC6 9/11
Sik (Ba1) FA:1 AC5 9/12
Cyril (Pr2) FA:0(20) AC8 12/12 CLW, DM
Ceana (D2) FA:1 AC5 13/13
Taibhse (Sh2) FA:0(20) AC5 11/11
Belloc (M2) FA:0(20) AC6 14/14

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1068 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I think at least a quick search along the river is best before heading back top side, but I am fine heading top side if that is the majority decision."

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1069 Post by subaltari »

Magda
Karaunios wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 amAkhilleus "We've been in a small section of these caves and have annihilated all who have opposed us, including their... larvae. We've found little of value, except for a figurine. No gems in their lair. We only found some here.

The clerics and mages of our company can tell you more about the powers of the objects we've found in this hut."
"Did you obtain any of the Matron's notes and writings? There should have been a grimoire, a tome bound in human skin. I would be keen for... another chance to peruse it."
I'm pretty sure Belloc has the book, and his player probably can't answer til next week, but Magda is making known she's interested ;)

Karaunios wrote:"Is there anything else you know about this place that you can tell us?"
"Well, there may be other creatures occupying the cave complex. And if the Matron disliked anyone more than dwarfs, it would have to be snake-men. She said these can disguise themselves as humans, though not all have perfected the art. Have you come across any people that seemed suspicious?"

Madga also asks to see the figurine of Ymir, as well as anything else the party might deem is of interest to her.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1070 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"Well, yes, we did find several writings, but Belloc, Taibhse, or Ceana would know more about that than I do...

As for the snake-men, yes. Initially Xenos, Drest, Belloc, and I explored the fortress above us. We brought two other companions, but they died in battle. We fought several snake-men then and defeated them. They were feeding on humans and also feeding their human slaves. Are you suggesting there might be more of those filthy beasts hidden in the depths of the cave?

We were planning to explore further downstream, along the riverbank. However, our intention is not to stay much longer. We are tempting fate by staying down here so long, although for now, we have done a good job of clearing this place of foul beasts. Most of us agree to make a short expedition to get an idea of what might await us downstream, and then leave and return to the city."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1071 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will post a couple map pics for reference.

Still Under The Zakath Desert
Friendly Froggy
No Idea On Time Or Day

Belloc has Crestos do a quick flying reconnaissance over the next portion of the underground river, spotting what appears to be strangely shaped buildings and a curious distant island sitting in the middle of the waterway.

Underborea.jpeg
Underborea.jpeg (109.56 KiB) Viewed 88 times

Actions?

Drest (Sc4) FA:3 AC7 16/22
Xenos (DS3) FA:3 AC5 17/17
Akhilleus (F4) FA:4 AC4 19/35
Kainaxarthos (C2) FA:1 AC6 9/11
Sik (Ba1) FA:1 AC5 9/12
Cyril (Pr2) FA:0(20) AC8 12/12 CLW, DM
Ceana (D2) FA:1 AC5 13/13
Taibhse (Sh2) FA:0(20) AC5 11/11
Belloc (M2) FA:0(20) AC6 14/14

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1072 Post by OGRE MAGE »

One more:
Underborea.jpeg
Underborea.jpeg (116.86 KiB) Viewed 87 times

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1073 Post by Rex »

Drest

Assuming the scouting info is con vied to everyone.

"I am for continuing to see what is in the building ahead."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1074 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"Fine by me."

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#1075 Post by Belkregos »

Rex wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm Drest

Assuming the scouting info is con vied to everyone.

"I am for continuing to see what is in the building ahead."
Belloc draws the surveillance information adding the intelligence data to his current map of the underground system and shares it with the group

the architecture looks very different than what we have seen in the complex
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#1076 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

Looking at Belloc's map "Well that looks like we may have found the lair of the snake people."

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1077 Post by subaltari »

Belkregos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:09 pmBelloc draws the surveillance information adding the intelligence data to his current map of the underground system and shares it with the group.
"The architecture looks very different than what we have seen in the complex."
The magician Belloc being among those that have shown her some courtesy. Magda draws closer to watch as he sketches the map. "Indeed, those are strange shapes. Can your raven discern the colour or materials they are built of?"

Also a repost for you, Belkregos:
subaltari wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:19 pmMagda
"Did you obtain any of the Matron's notes and writings? There should have been a grimoire, a tome bound in human skin. I would be keen for... another chance to peruse it."

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#1078 Post by Belkregos »

subaltari wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:00 pm
Belkregos wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:09 pmBelloc draws the surveillance information adding the intelligence data to his current map of the underground system and shares it with the group.
"The architecture looks very different than what we have seen in the complex."
The magician Belloc being among those that have shown her some courtesy. Magda draws closer to watch as he sketches the map. "Indeed, those are strange shapes. Can your raven discern the colour or materials they are built of?"

Also a repost for you, Belkregos:
subaltari wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:19 pmMagda

Belloc gestures to Crestos, the small owl flying to his side. "Crestos and I are one, a splintered soul in essence," he murmurs, taking a moment to study Magda with a discerning gaze.

"I am uncertain about you, Magda. The circumstances of our encounter weigh heavily on me. I believe that our nature leans towards fostering life, so my initial instinct is to trust. However, my instincts have been proven wrong before. Will you prove them wrong again?" Belloc's tone carries a note of caution as he continues, "If the matron was your mentor, it points in a certain direction. The symbol on your body, well, the mark on the bare frog's body, did you recognize it? It holds significance, marking this staff for a reason. Do you feel its essence? I believe you do, and I trust your intuition regarding its nature. Nevertheless, none of these signs are reassuring. I have struggled to keep the staff's sinister presence at bay, to contain its corrupting influence upon this world."

Belloc pauses, his expression somber. "I contemplate the threat this object poses, how it breaches the veil, stretching the membrane that safeguards our world from the great abyss. It would be perilously easy for something malevolent to breach through if allowed. Would you be the first to tear it open?"

Shifting his focus, Belloc mentions, "Yes, I possess her grimoire, where she kept her incantations. Do you have your own book, or is that why you require it?" He clarifies his intentions, "I plan to keep the book until I have time to transcribe its contents into my own, but that doesn't mean I cannot share it."

Carefully retrieving the grimoire from his backpack, Belloc unfurls the protective silk and places it on the table beside the maps he had drawn. "If we are to travel together, having all tools available would be beneficial. Let us share knowledge and resources for our mutual benefit."
Last edited by Belkregos on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1079 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

To be fair to Kain, I don't remember who was a former slave, just that people bit his head off when he discussed it up above. :lol:

Kain raises his hands in surrender to Xenos. "Touched a nerve again. Not my intent. But I did notice that the pretty lady got a pass on it. Understandable."

Turning to Magda again. "Of course, I am Kainaxarthos, but most call me Kain. And I merely speak of my companions in jest, everyone is so serious in Xamballa. The book had some spells that we couldn't read, but perhaps a kindred spirit of the Matron could." He declines to introduce any others, having decided not to stick his nose in people's business. :D He will, however, show Magda the jade statue they collected.

Kain looks over the map and stares in disbelief. "Those things are madness! Now I want to see them myself. All agreed?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1080 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Yes, agreed."

Return to “Wandering Windswept Wastelands (HYPERBOREA)”