#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Discussions relating (somehow) to the game but not part of it

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out of Character and Asides

#2 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I've updated the character list here

A couple of characters are now done, most are nearly done.

If there are images that sum up the character, could you post them in the character's thread.

I've assigned each of you an address. I've also presumed a connection between Solomon (Marine Officer) and William Loken (Marine NCO), based on their both being retiring marines at the same time, that may not stand the ongoing passage of char-gen.

There may be a possibility of connection between Phrenay Vyctor and the unnamed Darrien based on scientific conferences, etc. Again, char-gen may blow that idea up.

Those staying at the Riches Hotel have been put there by Maas Industries; those at the Majestic have been put there by the band's sponsor. Those in the Ishi Plaza arrived recently only to find the rock completely jammed with revellers and concert-goers and have ended up in the bundle-tunnels as the only spaces available!

The most recent ship to arrive at Bowman came from Iderati via Asteltine. (The band didn't arrive on that vessel having come from their previous gig on Walston) It is entirely possible that this 18 day trip is all that some of you have as a connection!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

With the final character coming along, would everyone else please look at their character sheets and let me know of any errors and omissions. Some sheets have items highlighted in Red - mostly birth dates, heights and weights.

The experience system allows you to accumulate points for use against a single targeted skill, talent or attribute. With one exception (who is stuck regarding the (INT+EDU)*3 and thus can only go for an INT or EDU attribute) the choice is free. The 446 number is the number of points needed to get to a level 0/1 skill from nothing/level 0. Other skills/attributes will be multiples of that. Please consider what skill, talent or attribute you would wish to have your character's experiences count towards.

I have explicitly listed in the associations section networks for families. I have added some specific others. There are unlisted networks that people will be members of by virtue of recent (current) careers. e.g. Solomon has an implied Network (Military) from his Marine years. That they aren't listed doesn't mean they can't be used.

I'm aiming towards the start of this adventure taking place in the main plaza of the old town with the year-end countdown.

On Stage
  • Phoenix
Back Stage
  • Andras
In the crowd, having found that they all know each other (Who'd have expected to see you here!)
  • Solomon with William - as Personal Guard
  • Odo
  • Phreney
  • Einar
  • Nehnyamodh
By front of stage (by the sound booth)
  • Isaac - Coordinating the Brotherhood of Solace's Security Job
Isaac will have 6 security guards to deploy - his choice where - and is getting concerned because the crowd is over 3 times what was expected - nearly 2500 instead of 800.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

What do you want to see in this adventure?

#4 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Based on your characters history, what conundrums would you like to see explored as threads in this adventure?
I'm aware of a number that have been discussed by mail - and the party as a whole might (or might not) get involved with as time progresses.

Below are a number of themes that have been revealed, so far, in the events that the party have experienced between them. (William is fighting his way through history at the moment).

So if anyone has a particular theme they'd like to experience - add it in reply?

Solomon's political enemy (Admiral Santanocheev) is currently on the Zhodani Border (at Regina), well out of the way of Bowman. The clash between the Duchess of Mora and the Duke of Regina over primacy in the Spinward Marches is a clash that District 268 will hopefully avoid. One part of that wider clash is the construction of a new jump route to the Five Sisters from Glisten. The Duke of Regina is not opposed while the Duchess of Mora is for the status quo. Solomon's presence could easily be interpreted as Tukera Lines reconnoitring the proposed route via Bowman!

Sir Ramon Jesten-Huelcyn (at the Court of the Duke of Iderati) in league with Martin Kukisagi (LSP's local head of Special Projects) seem to have appeared in Odo's life - an unexpected turn up. How will this pair affect the fortunes of Maas Industries? What are they up to?

Sir Horvath Ulhora-Mann's political career ended before it started when Phoenix Bell exposed his antics at the Court of Iderati in her famous song "Farewell to Karin". She left the Five Sisters for reasons of Health and Safety. But "revenge is a dish best served cold". Has Sir Horvath been plotting? And what is he doing now anyway?

The "Wheel of Fortune" has been languishing in the Bowman System for years while legal issues were resolved. Phenrey is here to take possession. Meanwhile Maas Industries has asked to charter it. That dig on Epsilon is finding valuable wonders which LSP and the IISS are monopolising. But it is only the main settlement. The moon houses smaller outposts. Can these be found and their wonders harnessed by Maas?

And LSP is trying to gain control of Garrison Starport and thus Bowman including Koenig's Rock. Can the Rock and the Belters that rely on it prevent this and ensure their own future? Can they be united to do this?

What did happen to Nehnyamodh's father?

What is the link between the Karin People's Freedom Party and Bowman?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Hvalreki »

Solomon Tukera (Hvalreki)

Generally speaking it looks like LSP is the "bad" megacorp at least compared to Maas here in Bowman. Thwarting their plans (carefully) to gain control full of the starport and the system seems like a smart idea. The trick would be to get it done clandestinely without bringing their boot down on our necks.

Also supporting Maas in the exploration of the ruins on Epsilon or other moons if we can find them sounds intriguing. Maybe we can convince Maas to foot the bill for overhead on the Wheel of Fortune and get some kind of share agreement for whatever we find. This would be another opportunity to thwart LSP plans so needs to be done delicately too. People disappear all the time in far off moons. A belt system is intrinsically a dangerous place. We could also work with the IISS too in order to balance the three forces against each other. LSP can't exactly take out the Scout Service (at least openly...).

All in all supreme kudos to BWT for world building par excellence. Bowman is looking like a great place to be a Traveller!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Grognardsw »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:02 pm
Isaac will have 6 security guards to deploy - his choice where - and is getting concerned because the crowd is over 3 times what was expected - nearly 2500 instead of 800.
Are there fire codes that would obligate me to call fire or police due to dangerous overcrowding?

Is Phoenix’s music the type that leads to pogoing, slam-dancing, crowd surfing space punks, or feel-good sing-along maybe flick your lighter if you get really excited type listeners?

Ateno, what would her music remind me of from a current singer/band? And can I see the set list? ;)
Last edited by Grognardsw on Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by The Bindoner »

Sorry, time poor. Wife has contracted the virus I'm just recovering from, and her friend (who invites herself each summer) has turned up anyway. I've got a busy few days ahead...

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:37 pm
BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:02 pm
Are there fire codes that would obligate me to call fire or police due to dangerous overcrowding?

Is Phoenix’s music the type that leads to pogoing, slam-dancing, crowd surfing space punks, or feel-good sing-along maybe flick your lighter if you get really excited type listeners?

Ateno, what would her music remind me of from a current singer/band? And can I see the set list? ;)
You are the police! I'm not too sure - just waiting on the set list. (Promised today). The crowd is a mostly belters who have come to the base for pay, beer, a good time, and a free concert by a famous player.
The warm up band was called the "Exploding Penguins"...but they were more sparsely attended.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:42 pm Sorry, time poor. Wife has contracted the virus I'm just recovering from, and her friend (who invites herself each summer) has turned up anyway. I've got a busy few days ahead...
Ah - I'm sure pressed women work just as well as volunteers!

Enjoy the summer and I hope your ministrations are effective.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ateno »

Grognardsw wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:37 pm Ateno, what would her music remind me of from a current singer/band? And can I see the set list? ;)
I am a protest singer in the mode of Joaz Baez, Woody Guthrie and Sinead O'Conner. I am working on the set list, a bit of work first.

Good morning 6:30am here, at work already.

Eric

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ateno »

Songs planned for midnight concert include an offer of one half off the platinum studio 3d and audio of the recent album while the concert is ongoing.

1. Auld Lang Syne – Sing along
2. "Lost Worlds' Echoes" - An ethereal composition recounting the forgotten histories and cultures of planets ravaged by colonization and exploitation.
3. "Silicon Seeds": A tale of resistance against the monopolistic control of seed banks by powerful biotech corporations.
4. "The Android's Ballad" A thought-provoking song exploring the theme of artificial intelligence and their quest for understanding emotions.
5. Song with ‘Exploding Penguins’, one of there’s
6. Song with ‘Exploding Penguins’. A classic
7. "Beyond the Byte" A call to challenge the dominance of technology corporations that manipulate and exploit personal data.
8. "City of Hopes, City of Tears" A bittersweet ballad about the promise and pitfalls of futuristic cities and their impact on the human spirit.
9. "Solar Dust" A mournful ode to the sacrifices made by space pioneers and the toll it takes on their families back home
10. . "Pulse of the People" An anthem uniting diverse cultures and races against discriminatory practices of the governing elite.
11. Classic with Zuni “Zoomer” Irkirin, a 14 y/o male who plays plastic buckets at the spaceport for tips. Phoenix plays along with him
12. "Wasteland Blues" - A somber song lamenting the environmental degradation caused by uncaring corporations and governments.
13. "Digital Uprising" A rallying cry for the masses to reclaim control of their lives in the age of digital dominance.
14. "Farewell to Karin" a symbol of resistance, inspiring the masses to rise against the injustices imposed by Sir Horvath Ulorhua-Mann's control over many aspects of their life and his search to control more. The song's chorus becomes a rallying cry for change, as the people unite to overthrow the oppressive regime and bid farewell to the days of suffering.
15. "Celestial Dreams Deferred" - An emotionally charged song reflecting on the dreams left unfulfilled due to societal inequalities and limited opportunities.
16. "Arcology's Chains" A vivid portrayal of life within oppressive arcologies, highlighting the struggle for freedom and autonomy.
17. "Rebel Scholars' Ballad" A soul-stirring song that chronicles the young college attendees' courageous stand against the megacorporation background support of a pro labor movement, leveraging their education and technologic aptitude to organize and lead the fight for workers' rights.
18. A NEW First played here song for Koenigs. Rock. “Stale Air Strife.” A loud protest that hears the prospectors worries about breathing reprocessed air and eating preprocessed food pack to stay out a little longer looking for a strike, all the while the corporation is trying to hire you for a for a good salary, but they would own the ores. (Chorus) We breathe in stale air, lungs burdened with pain, Trading suffering for a chance to gain. Caught in the struggle, a choice we must make, Their offer lingers, a path they stake. (Bridge) The salary's a shackle, fool's gold in disguise, They control the strike, while we pay the price. Yet, united we'll stay, our spirits unwavering, For freedom's worth all the suffering.
After once thru I will invite the ‘Penguins’ and Zoomer out to play it with me again.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Looks like a list of music to commit suicide to!
It will be fun to see how they play on the night.

The one thing that can be said about inviting Belters to a rock concert is that they understand rocks.

P.S. Anyone else want to chip in on the "And I wish you'd include that!" list?

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ateno »

Hey I'm a protest singer, not a rock star, I made that clear in the beginning. :)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

That set list is awesome.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nearly there!

#15 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I'll be typing up the last character sheet today!

I have updated the Umpire's Public Notes sheets. As these were updates, they won't show as new items so it may be worth a further look

I've also updated the Connections and Package skills pages in the Other Rulings thread and added a diagram of who is connected to who and how. There are two forming an isolated group only linked via a contract. If there is some other connection that can be found, please do.

Remember that if you have only one connection, finding a new one gains your character a skill!

The final 3 package skills now need to be chosen. n.b. There are no Seafarers, Biologists, Cyberneticists, Geneticists, Linguists, Philosophers, Psionicists, or Roboticists in the sciences, No civil engineers or Hydroponicists, No small craft pilots, no Grav Flyers, no jump engineer, no decent driver, no animal handlers...

OK - I know the party doesn't have to do everything because it can always hire in skills, but a back-stop is sometimes useful.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Are we nearly there yet?

#16 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I can see that we have almost reached the end of the preparation. Outstanding are: -
  • Odo: Connection Skill for connection with Solomon
  • Einar
    • Connection skill for connection with Andras
    • Package Skill
None of this is critical so, unless there is some other great oversight, I'm ready!!!!

(Objections must be filed with a successful Admin roll, in triplicate, by the close of 1105)

So as the crowd will be chanting -

Ecthelion
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Ecthelion »

What I need to read carefully, about background stuff that the characters know,before the game starts?
The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Ecthelion wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:48 pm What I need to read carefully, about background stuff that the characters know,before the game starts?
Basically,
Koenig's Rock is a hotbed of rival families who universally(ish) want independence over LSP rule - but want the top-spot when they achieve it
There are a bunch of Enemies listed against some characters - They will try to get you if they find themselves nearby
There are a bunch of Allies listed - They'll try to help if they know you need it
Rivals will try and take the kudos from your wins.
Contacts know stuff, if you can find them. They even may do stuff.
There is a rock full of useful skills for hire. If only you had the cash.
There is a lab-ship about if you need it.
The money in the system is from
  • selling stuff found in rocks,
    or that fell off the back of a spaceship,
    or was left just lying about by the previous settlers.
One of you number really can sing.
There is a slow burning rivalry between all the big empires that last erupted into war when your characters were children...Think 1950s East Germany/Sweden/Finland for the feverish going-on in the intelligence world.
Except for the Darrians (who are feeling contrite after blowing themselves up - what they didn't know really did hurt them), all the local empires have major internal bickering too

Phreney's pet is cute. Solomon is Rich; Odo is Rich-ish. Nehnyamodh knows lots. William brood menace. Phoenix is Famous. Isaac and Andras are a bit weird. Einar's burned out and needs a rest. You're all potentially dangerous.

Perhaps the start should read "15-Houses (several mega corps and some empires and 9 players), each alike in dignity. In fair Koenig's rock, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean." (for Shakespeare fans) to give the local feel. Not sure about using a romantic story line in this context though.

And as New Year approaches

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

Is there a campaign number for this to link to for rolls?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:43 pm Is there a campaign number for this to link to for rolls?
Yep

...See Umpire's Public notes

Return to “Bowman (Traveller MgT2)”