Chapter 3 - City of 10,000 Guns

jemmus
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3 - City of 10,000 Guns

#441 Post by Grognardsw »

jemmus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 am A smiley man in his thirties sticks out his hand to Paladin for a shake. ”Jake Evans. Pleased ta meet ya. Ya like the buckskin, huh?”
Paladin shook his hand. “Nice to meet you Jake, the name is Paladin. That buckskin is a right fine horse for sure. My bill fold ain’t that thick though, so perhaps another time.”

Getting into the beauty of the local dialect. “This here Copper has been through a heap ‘n served me right, even with them warts and all. You know - like Billy Shakespeare done say, ‘a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!’”

Paladin smiled and tipped his hat. “Jake, I reckon I’ll be back.”

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#442 Post by jemmus »

Doh! The first roll was indeed a Tracking success. Sorry! Here's the reality....
The early yellow Sun climbs up into the sky in another clear early June morning. It seems to promise to be another hot, sweaty day. Andreas, Doos, DT and William know it's a Saturday.

At the left end of the line, Andreas dismounts and examines the ground. Blood on yellow grass blades, strung along the course of a couple of yards. A lot of it. Either a man struck hard or a big horse with a big body and a blood-pumping heart hit pretty good. The hoof prints show that the horses were probably standing still at the time, or milling about grazing. But then, stems of blades of tough grass creased at soil level and broken along the ridge spine line show a pattern. Barefoot hooves, maybe from four-five horses trotting , or six-eight horses galloping, headed to the northwest. Toward the Llano Estado-- in Spanish, the "Staked Plains." Nobody, even Tejano Spanish-speaking guys, no what was meant by naming the area that. But everybody knows that that's the heartland of the vast Comanche range. Called by the Republic of Mexico (who famously got their hats handed to them in their hands by the Comanche: "La Comancheria." The land of the Comanche.

Andreas can follow the trail for a 2 miles more with this Scouting roll, at the cost of one hour's time of tracking toward the northwest, with Austin being straight East from the rail construction camp.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#443 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson "Blood. Comanche horses headed home." He stands up and points the way the trail goes.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#444 Post by Thumper »

Since Andreas has the trail, we could follow for an hour NW, putting us about 6 miles ish from Austin. At a gallop, that’s about a half-hour ride into town for a fair horse. It’s still early morning. Don’t lose much time by following a little bit…but I’m not wedded to it.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by jemmus »

Austin is east of the rail camp. If you go northwest, you'd need to ride back to the road (the Austin-Fredericksburg highway). The PCs know that, riding cross-country toward Austin, they'd run into cattle ranches with wire fences.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#446 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin, who had been working straight for nine days, decided to take a break for the rest of the morning.

Gideon, you feeling in a gay mood? Let’s wait out the others at the Gay Lady at the corner of Main and Allen. Maybe we’ll meet some gay ladies.”

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#447 Post by jemmus »

Jake Evans replies to Paladin, Well, ya caught me on a day when I'm gamblin ta git back chips, and a deuce a clubs as my high card a five. He winks. My wife's little sister's gettin married next week, and she got her eye on a fancy weddin dress. The wife's set on givin it to her as a weddin present from us. And then, her sister kind of hinted that it would be nice if they could have the after weddin reception at our little place. Which means slaughterin a steer ta start with, then all a cakes and pies and chocolates and what have ya. Not to mention the beer and whiskey and ceegars-- which ain't goin to be an official part of the refreshments. Another wink. Which don't mean them ole boys are goin to shy about slippin out for another one er two out back.

So, tell ya what ah can do. Ah can't let that buckskin go fer under $150. Mah dad would have my hide fer it. But ah'll give ya $40 fer this horse. And cover the vet bill and farrier work myself, like we first discussed. So 110 dollars total ta put yer saddle on him and ride out today. Heck, ya can put yer saddle on him and trot him around the corral if ya want. I guarantee you'll be impressed with the spirit a that ole boy. That's a one-of-kind horse.

Gideon eyes Jake through a squinted right eye and an open, arched eyebrow appraising left one. If that's his gambling poker face, it may not be the least obvious one at a table. He very subtly gives Paladin the sign that he's about lay down a counter hustle. He says, Hmm. Mr. Paladin, ah mahself might be tempted to take Mr. Evans up on that offer, if ah was in the market for a high-dollar horse at the time. But the truth is, ah don't have the money fer that kind a cash payment. Ah'd believe that very few men in this town do. This ain't even Austin city proper, it's Barton Springs. Recently some merchants call it West Austin. I ain't no horse trader, but if ah was sittin in Barton Springs and sittin on a good horse sittin a corral, ah'd want to sell it quick. The Good Book says, "Diamonds are forever." But young horses don't git no younger by the day. Nope, pretty much it's the opposite.

Well, Mr. Evans, Mr. Paladin, ah'll be goin mah way. Mr. Evans, ah guided Mr. Paladin from outa town ta yer stable. Ah got a good horse, but ah always noticed yer stock.
Ah'll keep an eye on the next time ah'm in town and need a good horse. Mr. Jake, if ya play cards, come on over to the Iron Front Saloon. It's Saturday, always a big day when the cowpokes come in with a whole month's worth a pay.
He winks at Paladin, swings up into the saddle, touches fingers to brow, and rides toward the Iron Front Saloon in Barton Springs, West Austin, Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
PCs

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#448 Post by Thumper »

I hope you’re right, Andreas, that these Commanches are being chased home. There’s a lot of settlements and towns between here and the Comancheria for them to molest. Good thing the Army’s on their tail to keep them moving too fast to raid much.

And he reigns his horse the way they came and towards Austin.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#449 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson "Vhe can inform der Rangers in Austin."
gaming since 1980

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#450 Post by ateno »

"Agreed, we gave it a try."

Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#451 Post by Thumper »

So, back to Austin and pickup where we left off meeting Gid and Paladin for lunch and agreeing to push out to Burnett? Sound about right?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#452 Post by redwarrior »

William agreed. If we're taking off in the morning, we can't afford to get ourselves all scattered to the four winds.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by jemmus »

William, DT, Doos and Andreas turn from the tracks of the barefoot horses and shod horses and ride to the to Austin. The Austin-Fredericksburg highway. Three quarters of an hour later, they reach the familiar western part of the city that surrounds the Drover Hotel and its stable. They report the information about the shots in the night, the horse tracks, and the spent Sharps rifle shell to the Texas Rangers office. One-armed Captain Zebediah "Zeb" Watson says, The Rangers appreciate the information, gentlemen. Information and reliable reports are like gold to us. Texas is a wide full of a lot of emptiness. Hearing about what was seen where beats ridin around fer a looking around based on nothin.
Mr. Moore, I'm very sorry to report that we still don't have the personnel to go after those stage robbers. Comanches are actin bold, prancin around and showin their bare hindquarters to us. Might just be some young bucks out havin some fun. Of course, Comanches style of fun ain't no fun fer anybody else.

Or it could be they cut a deal with their enemies-- which is about everybody except for the Kiowas-- and now they're feelin confident about throwin some of their weight against the frontier. Er some war chief er medicine man promisin miracles has got em all worked up. Iron Shirt of the Tenewa band to the west and Roman of the Quadhadis farther up on the high plains's names come up. That's the real concern. That these boys aren't just out on a few days' lark raidin-- that they might be part of somethin bigger.

If y'all stray from the highways, I'd recommend that y'all be careful. Even on the highways, might be good to keep a sharp eye out. The full Moon was three days ago. It ain't called the "Comanche Moon" fer nothin, you all know. But it will still be at gibbous, then half for a few nights. Plenty of light fer a rider who knows his-- the way he come in on and can escape back on, especially.

German immigrant Andreas, former judge Doos, mustered out captain doctor DT, and scholar turned plainsman William stop in at the Drover Hotel, their until now base camp/resting place/rallying point here in Austin, Texas. The lobby area has hardwood floors and clean upholstered furniture. Beyond, there's a bar and restaurant, with the scent of hot coffee in the air. There's a polished but little worn hardwood floor underfoot. Above, there's both a rigid roof and a white ceiling as well. The riders-- especially Andreas and Doos, notice that they (or the clothes) smell of horsehide, clean dirt, and most of all-- woodsmoke.

The familiar hotel clerk recognizes the crew of riders, stands from his stool, and says, Welcome, gentlemen! Own of your associates left this letter earlier today. It's the letter from Paladin saying that his San Marcos job for today was canceled, and he'll be back for dinner (lunch).

It seems like all PCs have a free rest of the day while in Austin. Shopping, dining, bathing, cards-playing, gambling, suitir brides prospecting, every other kind of job, etc.

Anyone who wants to do something in Austin today, please post in your PC's solo thread and restate the actions of the day. But meanwhile, tomorrow morning in Austin, Texas, ther might be Chapter 4: Strange Pursuit
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Grognardsw »

Apparently there was not a lot of gaiety at the Gay Lady Saloon that morning.

The saloon girls must be sleeping off last night’s business,” said Paladin to Gideon.

So after a drink and friendly game of poker, the two left and walked over to meet the others at the Drover.

I’m fine with heading out to Burnet after lunch, if we’d get there before nightfall. I’d rather not camp outdoors with the Comanche threat,” Paladin said to the others.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#455 Post by cybersavant »

Grognardsw wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:28 amI’m fine with heading out to Burnet after lunch, if we’d get there before nightfall. I’d rather not camp outdoors with the Comanche threat,” Paladin said to the others.
Andreas Larson will wander about for the morning - and if he finds a more 'cultural' establishment, he'll eat there before meeting up at the Drover.

"Leafing anytime ist fine mit me. Any plan for vhen vhe get to Burnet? Do vhe enter as vun group?"
gaming since 1980

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#456 Post by Thumper »

That's a great question, Andreas. A large German population in Burnet. I suppose we'll follow your lead with the investigation.

I, for one, intend to spoil myself a bit tonight in Burnet. I haven't celebrated my mustering out...That's my plan for tonight. Hope you’ll let me buy y’all a round. We'll be getting into Burnet on Saturday evening at about 8:30…a bit before sunset…if we depart right after lunch. Can't imagine much in town will be open...and I need a bath and to launder my clothes. I'm thinking about staying at the finest hotel in Burnet. Being a major crossroads for the frontier towns, there should be a high quality one. That may be the only place to get a long soak in a hot tub with fresh water. I think a fine supper, then I'll buy a round of drinks and cigars, then off to the saloon to blend in to the crowd and sift for info. Ever played Doos at darts? He'll kill us all at that. Perhaps a Saturday evening show...are in order.

With that in mind, I don't want the night to be a waste of our time. If I can find out who the doctor is in town, I'll try to find a way to speak to him...either tonight or tomorrow. If I can find him at the saloon tonight or church tomorrow morning, I'll inquire if he's treated any gunshot wounds lately...see if he's made ranch visits to the area of our search.

What are your thoughts on arriving as a group or separately to better work the crowd?
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by jemmus »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:58 am
Grognardsw wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:28 amI’m fine with heading out to Burnet after lunch, if we’d get there before nightfall. I’d rather not camp outdoors with the Comanche threat,” Paladin said to the others.
Andreas Larson will wander about for the morning - and if he finds a more 'cultural' establishment, he'll eat there before meeting up at the Drover.

"Leafing anytime ist fine mit me. Any plan for vhen vhe get to Burnet? Do vhe enter as vun group?"
Andreas had been noticing a familiar smell coming from a place called "O'Reilly's Cafe," just across the street from the Drover. viewtopic.php?p=663772#p663772
Northern area.
Tex-Mex cooking. It didn't seem to have much to do with the name "O'Reilly." But he knew that many European immigrants settled in Mexico in the past generation. Spanish, French, many Irish, Germans, even Russians. By now, O'Reilly could be a firmly Mexican family name. Probably pronounced oraiye. Andreas entered the shop and took a seat at a table among the Tejano Texan and Mexican immigrant patrons. A stout Mexican man and his stout Mexican wife greeted him and called out from the kitchen, Buenas dias, senor! A girl of around 17 years old, also stout, and pretty and cheerful, comes and says, Good morning, mister. Today is chicken and cheese enchiladas in chile colorado. It's spicy red sauce. With beans, rice, and corn tortillas. And ensalada.... Salad. The price is 30 cents.

Although a German immigrant, Andreas is from South-Central Texas Fredericksburg. Not so far from the heart of Tejano culture in San Antonio. He knows that corn tortillas are the staple of the meal, much like brot is to a German meal. And the custom is they come freshly made today, and in unlimited supply. The mom in the kitchen busily dumps a load of marinated chicken into hot lard, and the aroma fills the small room of O'Reilly's Cafe.
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#458 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson "Sí, eso suena muy delicioso. Gracias." While waiting for the meal to arrive, he looks around casually, smiling to anyone who notices his gaze.
gaming since 1980

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin sat down with the others at the Drover.
cybersavant wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:58 am
That’s a good point Andreas,” replied Paladin. “As a group we’d attract attention, so perhaps we split into smaller pairs. Then again, I just realized Burnet is quite a small town. Small enough that strangers of any number will be noticed. So it probably doesn’t matter either way.”

“What do you think Doos and William?”

Paladin ordered a lunch of roast beef with brown gravy, a boiled potato, biscuit with butter and coffee to perk him up.

About that fast drawing you’ve been asking about,” said Paladin to Doc. “I feel one who has sworn the Hippocratic oath should be looking to help people, not draw on them. Like another doctor friend of mine is fond of saying, ‘damn it I’m a doctor, not a gunslinger’.”

Paladin with his friend Dr. McCoy.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#460 Post by redwarrior »

William I think it makes sense to hang around together.

And William is more than happy to assist in fast draw learning, especially in exchange for learning to ride like a Texan.

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”