Chapter 3 - City of 10,000 Guns

jemmus
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3 - City of 10,000 Guns

#401 Post by Grognardsw »

Good to hear that progress,” Paladin said to Mr. Behrens after the foreman reported. “Mr. Cummins should be pleased.”
Grognardsw wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:29 am Wondering if Comanchees may be watching the camp, late in the afternoon Paladin took Larry and Moe and scouted the perimeter and beyond looking for any signs of such.
That evening, Paladin returned from his scouting, not having found anything.

Mr. Gao, I’ll miss your cooking,” Paladin said half-jokingly to the Chinese translator after dinner. “Thanks for your services, even if they were a bit unorthodox. I hope your real work of translation for labor negotiation goes well. It sounds like Mr. Behren has gotten them into a good place”

Paladin handed Mr. Gao his business card. “If you or someone you know ever find yourself in need of my particular services.”

After dinner, Paladin listened to DT’s ideas for the Well Fargo job.

Yes, on next steps, I’m for asking about in Burnett for a scout who knows the area and could cut down our search time. Maybe they know who has windmills.”

“Andreas, would the Tonkawa we worked with before be helpful with their knowledge of the region?”

“I’m still partial to setting a stage coach trap and run it along the Burnett route with us inside. Maybe we can get the robbers to come to us.”

“If you all start Saturday, I can meet up with you Saturday night in Austin or Sunday night Burnett, because it’s a 14 hour ride to Burnett.”

I’m not keen to split the party, unless its short activities within a town, as opposed to being hours away from each other.
Paladin considered how to use his time in San Marcos, since he’d get there by 10:00 am and was leaving at 5:34. That left lots of time besides getting Virginia. He though back to what San Marcos resident and pistol contest winner Leon Robles said about Harvey Adler…
”…Word got out in San Marcos that Harvey Adler in Comal County was connected to the Wiley boys sellin y'all's horses. Let me tell ya a little about Harvey. He's a big talker, likes to be the center of attention. Throws big barbecues and can drink with the best of em, but on Sunday morning he's always on the front row in the Baptist church. He's a deacon of it, in fact. He's a popular man, and also unpopular because of his sharp cattle tradin practices. But everybody knows who Harvey Adler is. We'll, the posts a Comal County sheriff and judge are comin up, and people reckon that Harvey will stand fer one a em. He's been droppin hints like that. Meanwhile, Hays County's got no sheriff er deputies at all. People been pressuring me to take Riney's job, er even Behan's. I don't much like that proposition. But I suppose I'll do it if I have to.” He pauses. “If you go against Adler, ya might be goin against popular opinion of most of Comal County too. He's got a lot a them fools either bluffed er hornswoggled…”
While I’m in San Marcos, I may look into Harvey Adler more,” said Paladin. “And maybe take up Leon Robles’ offer for a home cooked meal from his ma. Perhaps he knows information that can help us.”

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#402 Post by Thumper »

“I’m still partial to setting a stage coach trap and run it along the Burnett route with us inside. Maybe we can get the robbers to come to us.”
I'd entertain this. How would we get this arranged? Mr Fox didn't seem very interested, and he indicated it would take time to give public notice. Also, he wasn't going to risk his drivers. Maybe he'd loan us a coach and team. Anybody in this group a teamster? Not sure just randomly running this coach up the road with no public notice will draw out robbers who might live dozens of miles away...perhaps in neighboring counties. I'm sure the robbers planned their strikes using the standard predictable stage schedule.

I'd prefer to go after the lead we already have, and keep the band together. But, if you want to split and try to work this with Mr Fox, we could simultaneously head from here out to Burnet to begin the search for that damned windmill. Base out of Burnet, so we can send and receive telegraphs…

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#403 Post by cybersavant »

“Andreas, would the Tonkawa we worked with before be helpful with their knowledge of the region?”
Andreas Larson "Dat ist ein possibiity. I could ride out der und inquire."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Grognardsw »

Yes, the timing of a stage coach trap isn’t optimal,” agreed Paladin to DT.

If you think there is a chance, Andreas, it may worth riding out to ask them,” said Paladin of the Tonkawa.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#405 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson "I vhill inquire about town if anyvhun knows vhere der camp ist. Dem scouts vhat came to der rial camp vhere from ein different tribe."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#406 Post by ateno »

"Well I'll be joining the good life for a bit in town. Missing those beds. Let me know where and when you need me."

been dealing with personal stuff for a while. Kinda lost the bubble. Sorry

Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#407 Post by Thumper »

Ateno… real life first!! Hope everything is ok now or soon will be.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin walked out of Cummins office, fed up with the man. Changing terms and telling him to get new clothes. Paladin had held his tongue. No wonder his daughter is the way she is. He didn’t need to work for people like that.

Now Paladin could get on with the Wells Fargo job.

He stopped off at the bank, then decided to find his friends, checking the Drover Hotel. If no one is there, Paladin will leave notes for his friends that he is not going to San Marcos, and to meet him at the Drover for lunch.

Next, Paladin visited the town doctor to see if DT was there. He knew doc was looking for business there. Paladin left a message for DT to the same effect.

Paladin heard the whistle of the 8:54 train and saw it rumble away. Good luck Virginia.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#409 Post by Thumper »

DT will have left camp after breakfast to reconnoiter the location of last nights battle anyone go with him?. After investigating the scene, he rides fast for Austin where he reserves a room at the Drover for that night, went to visit the Rangers, then got a bath, shave, and laundered his dirty clothes…putting on a fresh set. (Deducted)

All the while he’s contemplating the best way and time to ride out to visit the ranch patient his new physician associate asked him to see…possibly today. (Still awaiting Jemmus telling me the ranch’s location/direction other than 10 mi out of town).

On returning to the Drover late morning, He’s surprised to find Paladin’s note and meets him.

Doos wanted a bed to sleep in. But if we want to press out this afternoon, we could Trot/canter the horses and still make it to Burnett by nightfall (Good horse strategic movement rules pg 93 55 mi = <7hr ride including 2x 1hr rest breaks.) DT suggests and advocates for that move. The bed we get can be in Burnett
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#410 Post by ateno »

Thumper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:27 am The bed we get can be in Burnett
"Not my idea of a perfect day, but I have not rode my new horse like that. I will ride with you. You can fill me in on all the town stuff,"

Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#411 Post by Thumper »

DT looks at Doos:

I’ll buy you a mani-pedi when we get back and grins.

And a good German beer in Burnett.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#412 Post by ateno »

Thumper wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:08 pmAnd a good German beer in Burnett.
"I'm set for a cool Lager, doubt and bock is left. Buy yes, let's get on our way."

Doos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Grognardsw »

Not sure if Paladin has met up with the others, pending GM.

Paladin rode Copper down Congress Ave. looking for a horse dealer. He stopped and asked a local.

Photograph of a view looking down Congress Avenue, taken before 1875. There are builidngs and horse drawn buggies lining the street. The Capitol (1853-1881) building is in the background. Source: https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123956/

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by jemmus »

Nice find! The PCs have been in the western edge of the city, which is called Barton Creek and is a little less developed. Most of the buildings, except the courthouse and the banks, are wooden. But there are buggies here as well, though wagons and horseback riders outnumber them by quite a bit. (I don't about now, but in the 70s and 80s Barton Creek was known as the hippies and bohemians part of Austin).

In DT's solo breakout thread, Gideon declined to join him and Andreas in investigating the area of the gunfire on the prairie last night. Instead, he'll ride directly to Austin with Paladin, for safety in numbers. Andreas stated he ride with DT. Feel free to read the last posts in the thread, the dialogues happened in the camp in the morning before anyone departed. Need William's decision on the matter, then we'll move forward.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#415 Post by redwarrior »

William will accompany DT as well.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by jemmus »

PCs investigating the site of gunshots to the N-NNW of the railroad, around 1-1.5 miles away, please describe how you do it. Do you investigate the line? straight out from the camp[? Or ride around the wide suspected area? Or approach from some particular direction? What skill rolls do you roll on? And when? While in the north, NNW, south, west, or east? The praire is quite wide. And every ability can mean quite a lot...
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#417 Post by Thumper »

Unless someone has a better idea, DT would suggest we ride slowly, alertly, and in line with the sounds from last night for 3/4 mile. Then lean a little right (East for a quarter mile). DT would want the 3 or 4 of us to spread out in a North-South line with about 30 yards (no more than 50) in between each other, and our line move from East to West-Northwest. The idea being to put the very low sun at their back and stick, as best as they can, close to the trees and to the long shadows of early morning.

All the while looking for circling Turkey Vultures and other carrion birds indicating dead bodies. In the search area, they listen intently for noises of feeding birds and animals. Minding that prolonged circling of Turkey Vultures probably indicates something in the vicinity of carrion that scares them from landing.
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#418 Post by redwarrior »

William says sounds good to me and nudges Hermes to the left of the line when the time comes.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#419 Post by Thumper »

DT would have his carbine in hand at near ready. In the search area, he’ll take the middle-right position to keep one eye on the other 3.

Does William still have Justice…second horse? And does Doos still have his second set of saddle/tack? No specific reason for the question…just curious. Good to have a spare sometimes. [/occ]

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#420 Post by redwarrior »

I think he's still got justice, but he might have sold him when we divided the pot last time....I'll check tonight. Edit: As far as I can tell, William still has justice. I see where he offered to sell him in the OOC channel, but a month+ later, we had prisoners riding him, so I think he still has Justice as a back-up horse. That might not be right, as the search feature here isn't the greatest.
Last edited by redwarrior on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”