New Look for Pathfinder 2E

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

New Look for Pathfinder 2E

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

The covers for the two new Core rulebooks were revealed at PaizoCon recently. Thoughts?

https://www.enworld.org/threads/paizo-s ... er.697959/
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: New Look for Pathfinder 2E

#2 Post by Rex »

I would rate them as OK. Nothing special or striking to me but not bad either.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

I need to decide whether I am satisfied with the 2nd Edition Core Rulebook as it is, or do I need to get the new GM and Player's guide books?
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I can't really give any advice there. I haven't gotten the familey to commit to a second session so I only have the beginner book and the advanced player's guide. And the accidental gifting of the PF 1e core rules, that my wife got me for Valentine's Day.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sastaz »

So guys how would you rate the PF 2 ruleset compared to the 1st ed? I've understood they're vastly different. 1st ed is like "DnD 3.75", a ruleset I really like when I'm into "opting character builds to mound epic heroic campains" mode. But I never had the energy to learn another set of rules. Or you know what, let me rephrase that:

You play PF 1st ed instead of DnD because it's (IMHO) a more perfected "heroic feature build" game.

But what do you play PF 2nd ed instead of? What game does it replace, or what need does it fulfill?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I never played 1e and this is the first time playing 2e. Liking the game but not sure yet about the rules.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Just speaking for myself, I'm done with the new, modern D&D. I'll play AD&D (1e & 2e), and maybe even 3.5 but that's as far as I'll go. I also enjoy the Osric-like spinoffs like Hyperborea and Sword & Wizardry. After shutting down my 5E game, I decided to try something similar to PF1 and went with PF2. So far, so good for me.
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

I tried to like 5e but in the end just couldn't. I am still in 1 game here but I won't be joining anymore. If whatever the new version is called is anything like I have heard I don't see how it could change my mind. I will stick with 2e and older and their spinoffs as well. Plus other games as well as they strike me. I did pick up the pdf's for ShadowDark and will see if they were able to fix the problems with 5e, but I haven't had time to look through them and am in no rush.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Let me put it this way. I have a less issue with D&D 5e than I did with 3rd through 4th editions. But I will be a mogol and stick to what I know 1e &2e in D&D regards. I'll still run the older school versions before that as well. But after the whole OGL thing with WotC I'm pretty much wiping my hands of all things WotC for the most part. I donated all my 5e books to a local library gaming group/club. I'm running into PF 2e just simply because it is the new edition and it was what I started with. I had been meaning to try PF and I think it was easier to jump into than D&D 3e and up. As Gary said so far so good for me.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “General RPG discussion”