The Tomb of the Lizard King

hedgeknight
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Tomb of the Lizard King

#421 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Fahima will light one of her candles and try to burn the spores on her out.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#422 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan wishes he had a candle to do as Fahima is doing but he went with a lantern so has nothing to do the same. "We didna know what was happenin we were just tryin ta help tha acolyte."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Cassius winces a bit as the spores feel like they are burrowing deeper but still stands firm. "Or. You could stop the spores in some sort of deal, is that correct?"

He continues. "Also, if your deal with the patrician was for that acolyte, I don't see why the deal can't pass to us. We did tie him up."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by hedgeknight »

The Vrock snarls at Cassius...a snarl that turns into a chuckle. "I cannot stop the spores once they have taken part of your flesh. Oh, they are hungry beasts, they are! Only a priest may stop it. Is one among you in touch with the...divine?"
The demon spits the last word in almost a gagging response.

"Your help was irrelevant to me," the demon continues. "I need no such help. There was more promised upon my delivery."
The Vrock turns its gaze upon Gormundel and Lt. Dan.
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#425 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Cast Protection from Evil on himself. While standing in the hallway. Then begins to rummage through his pack looking for something. Then he triumphantly holds up a small tin. He then moves towards Fahima with her poking candle.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

GreyWolfVT

#426 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan "How about tha big one in tha room wit tha chests? Can you spare the wizard and Lt. Dan?" he asks the demon.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by hedgeknight »

Spores and More

"Blood and flesh. Flesh and blood! And I was about to enjoy some when you foolish mortals attacked me. Your weapons are useless against me, don't you know?" the Vrock mocks and chuckles. "I could kill you all easily...but there is no sport in that. My spores will do the trick soon enough."

And the spores are starting to hurt! Plant-like vines begin to spread along the flesh of the companions as they debate in their minds what to do in this shitty situation. Fahima lights one of her candles, attempting to burn or singe the spores; she only succeeds in singeing herself! (1 pt damage) Roan sort of wishes he had a candle too, but then tries to reason with the demon. "We didna know what was happenin we were just tryin ta help tha acolyte."
The Vrock hisses at the Dwarf and glances back into the hallway at the body of the acolyte...who is somehow still alive and squirming in his bonds.
Wincing in pain, Cassius keeps talking. "Or. You could stop the spores in some sort of deal, is that correct?"
"Also, if your deal with the patrician was for that acolyte, I don't see why the deal can't pass to us. We did tie him up."

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:13 pm The Vrock snarls at Cassius...a snarl that turns into a chuckle. "I cannot stop the spores once they have taken part of your flesh. Oh, they are hungry beasts, they are! Only a priest may stop it. Is one among you in touch with the...divine?"
"Your help was irrelevant to me," the demon continues. "I need no such help. There was more promised upon my delivery."
The Vrock turns its gaze upon Gormundel and Lt. Dan.
"You want a new deal? A deal in blood and flesh, yes? While my spores burrow deeper, you wish to make a new deal? What sort of deal?" The demon cranes its neck toward Lt. Dan and Gormundel...the pair try to back away, but the room seems a great deal smaller with the demon's presence.

With the Vrock's attention elsewhere for the moment, Sai backs a few feet away and invokes a spell of protection. Then he rummages in his pack, finding a shiny tin, and approaches Fahima, offering her the tin.
Roan tries again. "How about tha big one in tha room wit tha chests? Can you spare the wizard and Lt. Dan?"
The Vrock cocks its head, not unlike a large bird of prey. "What big one do you speak of?"

Stats:
Cassius - AC -1/3, HP 16/39
Fahima - AC 4/8, HP 18/29
Roan - AC 5/6, HP 33/49
Sai - AC -2/4, HP 20/30 (Prot. from Evil)
Zan - AC 9, HP 8/15
Gormundel - down 7
Lt. Dan - down 7

Rolls:

Spore dmg: [1d2]=1
Last edited by hedgeknight on Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#428 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Fahima will take whatever is in the tin and try rubbing it on the spores/vines. Once done she switches to her magic sword, thinking she has something that can hurt the demon. The whole time she will be looking for a way to get behind it to attack with a backstab.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#429 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

After handing the Tin of Keoghtom's Ointment (5 Apps left in it.) to Fahima he starts to cast a spell. Magic Missile

[2d4+2]=6+2=8 Magic Missile

GreyWolfVT

#430 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan mutters to himself "So much fer me promise ta get us all back outta this place alive." and he readies to use his two maces should it come to that.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by gurusql »

Zan

Zan will continue to edge away from the creature and will mumble a prayer in a low tone, "The march of time is inexorable, but the blessings of the Lifegiver enable the children of Corellon to live long and fruitful lives, unmarked by the passage of years."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

"I was actually thinking of a Lizardman King. We could lead you to him. Think of it: noble blood, and exotic as well."

"But of the old deal, what were you promised? Perhaps we can still help fulfill it."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by hedgeknight »

Parlay, Prayers, and Plans!

As the spores from the demonic Vrock continue to do their damage to our heroes, and some try to parlay, others in the group have a bolder plan. Taking the tin, Fahima scoops out some of the clear ointment and rubs it all over her exposed skin. The healing effect is immediate...however, the spores continue to grow!
As Cassius and Roan attempt to parlay, the Vrock is particularly interested in the Lizard King, Zan steps away as far as he can, offering a prayer to Corellan. As the words escape his lips, he glances to where Sai is facing the demon and casting a spell! Magical missiles fly unerringly to burst on the demon's face!

Vrock.png
Vrock.png (167.86 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Enraged, the demon turns its blackened eyes upon Sai, seeking the source of the magic. "So be it!" the Vrock hisses, as it attacks Sai...but it's claws and bite are unable to penetrate some type of protective aura Sai is currently giving off!
"What is this?" the Vrock hisses. "Deceit! Deception! Trickery! I will not have it!"
The Vrock raises its arms and utters a string of unholy words...words that screech and scratch on the eardrums of the companions, causing all to wince in pain and discomfort. The room seems to shimmer...and suddenly, creatures begin to pour in through the door of the vestibule!
The room quickly devolves into a chaotic stew of demons!
Manes.jpg
Manes.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Standing no taller than Fahima, the creatures reek of the Abyss. Their bloated bodies are grotesque and with tooth and claw they descend upon the companions!!

Initiative and Actions!!

Stats:
Cassius - AC -1/3, HP 15/39
Fahima - AC 4/8, HP 27/29
Roan - AC 5/6, HP 32/49
Sai - AC -2/4, HP 19/30 (Prot. from Evil)
Zan - AC 9, HP 7/15
Gormundel - down 8
Lt. Dan - down 8
Vrock -

Rolls:

Vrock MR: [1d100]=47
Spore dmg: [1d2]=1
Keoghtum's Ointment: [1d4+8]=2+8=10
Vrock attack: [1d20+3]=14+3=17, [1d20+3]=19+3=22, [1d20+3]=10+3=13
Vrock damage: [1d4+7]=3+7=10, [1d4+7]=2+7=9, [1d8+7]=4+7=11
Manes: [2d10]=13
Attachments
TotLK Manes.jpg
TotLK Manes.jpg (379.73 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by Rex »

Fahima

Go big or go home.

In the confusion Fahima tries for a back attack on the Vrock.

Magic Short Sword [1d20+4]=8+4=12 to hit [1d6+4]=3+4=7 damage
If this qualifies as a Back Attack add another +4 to hit and double damage.

If needed.
Moves Silently (50%) [1d100]=37 Hide in Shadows (50%) [1d100]=88

Maybe a modifier to her rolls for preparing the round before?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by gurusql »

Zan

(I thought I was backing down the hallway for the past two rounds, but I have moved in 5' north instead of 30-40' east. I started next to the open door and now I am trapped away from it? DM is always right so I will adapt.)

Zan will attempt to disengage and try to move through the demonic creatures out of this room to the east.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#436 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Backs up and casts Blur on himself.

[1d10]=6 Init

melee combat attacks against the caster to be made with –4 penalties on the first attempt and –2 penalties on all successive attacks for 5 rounds.

AC is now -6 first attack and -4 after.

GreyWolfVT

#437 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan groans.... "Bloody fuckin' great!" and swings both maces at whatever demon is closest...and can't hit jack or squat.
Init [1d10]=7
Ironstar Mace [1d20+1]=7+1=8 hit [2d6]=7 dmg
Footman’s mace +1 [1d20+2]=1+2=3 to hit, [1d6+3]=4+3=7 s/m dmg or [1d6+2]=6+2=8 lrg dmg

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

"Welp. Nothing to it now."

He draws both blades and starts trying to carve a path to the exit.

Longsword 1 +1/+4 vs undead (17): [1d20+4]=6+4=10
Longsword 1 Damage (sm): [1d8+8]=3+8=11 (L): [1d12+8]=4+8=12

Longsword 2 (Bronn's)(17): Longsword 2 (17): [1d20+1]=11+1=12
Longsword 2 Damage (sm): [1d8+7]=2+7=9 (L): [1d12+7]=11+7=18

I don't know the stats on Bronn's sword, aside from some sort of fire aspect. The rolls are based on a base longsword.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by hedgeknight »

gurusql wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:27 pm Zan

(I thought I was backing down the hallway for the past two rounds, but I have moved in 5' north instead of 30-40' east. I started next to the open door and now I am trapped away from it? DM is always right so I will adapt.)

Zan will attempt to disengage and try to move through the demonic creatures out of this room to the east.
You said you were backing away. Unless I missed it, I didn't read where you were out in the hallway. No problem. I will adjust on the next group post ;)
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by hedgeknight »

Enraged, the demon turns its blackened eyes upon Sai, seeking the source of the magic. "So be it!" the Vrock hisses, as it attacks Sai...but it's claws and bite are unable to penetrate some type of protective aura Sai is currently giving off!
"What is this?" the Vrock hisses. "Deceit! Deception! Trickery! I will not have it!"
The Vrock raises its arms and utters a string of unholy words...words that screech and scratch on the eardrums of the companions, causing all to wince in pain and discomfort. The room seems to shimmer...and suddenly, creatures begin to pour in through the door of the vestibule!
The room quickly devolves into a chaotic stew of demons!
Standing no taller than Fahima, the creatures reek of the Abyss. Their bloated bodies are grotesque and with tooth and claw they descend upon the companions!!
Demon Storm!
Initiative Order: Vrock & Gormundel (1), Sai (6), Roan & Dretches (7), Lt. Dan (8), Everyone Else (10)

A literal storm of demons crowd into the already crowded room, clawing, biting, ripping, tearing at the spore-riddled companions. Zan watches from out in the hall, having successfully slipped away from the battle. The bleeding (and pleading) acolyte lies nearby, squirming in his bonds, begging Zan to free him. "I can help! Just cut me loose!" he begs.

Back in the chambers of the dead Patriarch, things are getting bad.
The Vrock growls and attacks Cassisus and Lt. Dan, seeing them as a threat. It fails to hurt Cassius, but rakes Lt. Dan across the chest with its claws, cutting him to the bone!
About to be overwhelmed by the Dretches of the Abyss, Gormundel raises his hands and invokes a powerful spell. A wave of magic flows out from him, all the way into the hall where Zan and the acolyte are, and beyond. It's a call...a summons...for help.

Ignoring the demons converging on him, Sai concentrates and casts a spell upon himself, causing his outline to become distorted and blurred to the eye. While across the room, Roan curses a blue streak and attacks the Dretches near him...to no avail.

Dretch.jpg
Dretch.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Reeking of the lower planes of Hell, the Dretch swarm the companions...and only Zan and Lt. Dan, are left unscathed! Scratched and bitten by the little devils...erm...demons, the companions are left bloodied and worn.* (See my note below)
Cassius - 6 dmg.
Fahima - 5 dmg.
Roan - 11 dmg.
Sai - 8 dmg.
Gormundel - 12 dmg.

Everyone looks worse for wear, but now it's time for a little payback!
Lt. Dan slices one of the Dretches in half, sending it back to the Abyss with a screech and a cloud of sulfuric vapor.
Cassius, wielding two swords, carves a path toward the door, cutting down two of the bloated demons along the way!
But, it is little Fahima who finally gets through the Vrock's defenses and carves out a slice of demon flesh with her new sword! The Vrock howls in agony, whirling around, searching for the source of its misery.
"I see you, little morsel!" it hisses.

Out in the hallway, Zan is trying to decide what to do, even as the spores continue to sprout. His legs are nearly covered in vines and his arms are soon to follow...when...from somewhere down the hallway comes the sound of...something headed his way. Preparing for the worst, he can only gulp and try to mutter another prayer as the hallway is suddenly filled with a half dozen very large lizards!

Initiative (if appropriate) and Actions!!
So...new rule, improvised on the spot: if you don't roll initiative, you automatically go at the end of the round on 10. I grow weary of rolling initiative for those who don't. Unless you want to have someone roll group initiative ;)
*Question: Are we in agreement for a natural "20" to automatically hit...regardless of AC? That is the way I've always played...but I wanted to get your thoughts. I can always retro damage.

Stats:
Cassius - AC -1/3, HP 8/39
Fahima - AC 4/8, HP 21/29
Roan - AC 5/6, HP 20/49
Sai - AC -2/4, HP 10/30 (Prot. from Evil) (Blur; AC -6/-4) :shock:
Zan - AC 9, HP 6/15
Gormundel - down 21
Lt. Dan - down 19
Vrock - down 14
Dretch 1 - dead
Dretch 2
Dretch 3 - dead
Dretch 4
Dretch 5
Dretch 6
Dretch 7
Dretch 8
Dretch 9
Dretch 10
Dretch 11
Dretch 12
Dretch 13 - dead

Rolls:
Attachments
TotLK Demon Storm.jpg
TotLK Demon Storm.jpg (517.32 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Last edited by hedgeknight on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2e)”