The amazing Vasa ship!

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The amazing Vasa ship!

#21 Post by sastaz »

Yes, exactly. What happened was that the ship fired salute to the king (ironically enough) just before it sank. So when the boat leaned over due to the wind gusts, the canon hatches were open and the lower deck flooded quickly. Ultimately, Vasa had design flaws, so this was inevitable. The dutch shipbuilders were the best, but they had never designed such a high ship with dual cannon decks before so this was unexplored territory.

The guides and info brochures told about four deaths. One crewman was stuck after a cannon rolled over his leg, and he drowned. They actually found him like that, quite well preserved :shock: So that's how they know. Two captains "went down with the ship" trying to straighten her up until the end. One nobleman fell as the ladder to the top deck was snapped in half, fell unconscious and drowned....

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by sastaz »

Scott308 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:37 am Legends have taught, battles fought,
This lion has no fear at heart
Lion come forth, come from the north,
Come from the no-o-o-o-orth

Gustavus! Adolphus!
Libera et impera!
Acerbus et ingens!
Augusta per augusta!

Awesome photos! The lyrics are by Swedish band Sabaton (from their outstanding album, Carolus Rex) and are about this particular king. No mention of the ship in the song, however. :)
Oh, Sabaton. I remember! They're from a really small Swedish city actually. Quite cool. Swedes are a little careful these days glorifying these warrior kings more than necessary. During Sweden's military glory days, our army consisted actually mostly of mercenaries or hired troops. To keep them paid between wars, the generals had to raid randomly to divide the spoils as salary. So the Swedish kings were both looking for a reason to go to war and new place to plunder. Also, the legacy of these kings have been "kidnapped" by ultra nationalists for propaganda during the last 10-20 years. Unfortunately. Mostly a twisted version of the actual history, but anyway.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by hedgeknight »

Fantastic! I love this, Mattias.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Wow, this is really cool! Thanks for sharing.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Starbeard »

I've been to the Vasa Museum a couple of times, it really is one of the best. The ship sits in the middle of the chamber and you walk all around it at multiple levels. Like he said, the pictures don't even do it justice. The level of forensic detail on the identities and biographies of all the people dug up with the ship is astounding.

The whole area around the museum is also very cool. Stockholm is an awesome town. Basically, everyone should go to Sweden at some point.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#26 Post by Scott308 »

I'd love to go to Sweden! So many great metal bands...
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by hedgeknight »

Scott308 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:33 am I'd love to go to Sweden! So many great metal bands...
Hell yeah!! \m/ :SAN:
Winter is coming...

Return to “General RPG discussion”