gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

UE Issue #4: Stronghold Great Lakes

#1 Post by gurusql »

Stronghold Great Lakes Groundbreaking
South Manitou Island
1:30 PM Local Time – Monday, September 7th, 1987

Umbra and Grimm both joined the team in mid-to-late August. Both heroes are HTH fighters and specialize in different Martial Arts but that is where the similarities end. Umbra has some kind of connection to something he calls the Shadow Realm and Grimm is a grappler than has the knack of finding the weak spots of enemies. More can some from the players including any pictures you have.

Today is Labor Day in 1987. The sun is out with today looking like it will be a warm 90 degrees with about 80% humidity. The team has been gathered on the western side of the South Manitou Island which is located in Lake Michigan, approximately 16 miles (26 km) west of Leland, Michigan. It is about 229 miles up Lake Michigan from New Chicago.
SouthManitou.png
SouthManitou.png (86.91 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Up to and including this weekend it is an island that is used for camping. However this is the last weekend that that will be allowed. Most of the Crusaders have made the journey up for a groundbreaking ceremony. This island will be repurposed to hold a prison for people with super powers. This will be the second such prison in the United States (the first is Stronghold which is on Alcatraz island in San Francisco Bay) and will be named Stronghold Great Lakes.

Wind Dragon got the short straw to stay in New Chicago in case something back happens with the other heroes over 200 miles away.

Eclipse
Azir
Knight Light
Umbra
Grimm

Agent McGinley fills in some of the details of the planned ceremony. "There are expected to be over 200 campers as well as various press on hand for the ceremony. Hun Darvish, the warden pro tem will be acting as the master of ceremonies. He has asked that the heroes each use their powers to wow the crowd while having the goal of transporting the 'golden shovel' that will be used by the warden to break the ground. Is this something that you are willing to do?"

For the record, there are a few people familiar to you all that will be in the crowd today.
Kadar was camping with Mrs. Ibnin and Perry and will be in the audience.
Also Julia McVoy will be one of the reporters on hand for this.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: UE Issue #4: Stronghold Great Lakes

#2 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse

"Agent McGinley, how far would we need to move it? I assume it's a normal shovel under the gold-plating?" he looks at the others and then at Azir "What do you think? Could we make it like a football game where some of us try to get it to the warden and some of us pretend to stop them? We don't have much time to practice, whatever we do."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Umbra

"I'm more of a baseball fan, but sounds like fun."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Azir

"It sounds like a fun idea, but I don't know much about football. Other than throwing it a long ways I am not even sure what I could do with the shovel."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by gurusql »

Agent McGinley

"Yes, it is a normal shovel that has been gold plated. How about something like a relay?

In no particular order, Knight Light could use the Force to move it, Azir you could throw Grimm holding it and Grimm could roll out of the throw, Eclipse you could use your magnetism, and Umbra you could perhaps enter the shadow realm and let Grimm fly though you. Each of you has options."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

"I'm okay with it," Knight Light said.

Sorry, player is brain dead. Still here, though.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Umbra

"Sounds good. I think it would be cool if I did my shadow teleport around someone, or to suddenly appear and take the shovel from whoever has it."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

That works too.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

How about:

KL fires it into the air using the force

Eclipse flies up, grabs it using his TK and sends it on further

Grimm catches it.

Azir throws Grimm

Grimm rolls out of the throw and passes it to Umbra

Umbra uses his shadow walk to appear at the podium and hand the shovel over.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Sounds good to me.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by gurusql »

Stronghold Great Lakes Groundbreaking
South Manitou Island
1:30 PM Local Time – Monday, September 7th, 1987

Please note, I had an error in the first post, the gathering is on the EAST side of the island.

The team is gathering out about where the green "Bay Campground" is shown in the picture. It is a hot one, about 90 degrees with about 80% humidity. As the group is being patient sweat is forming around the edges of everyone mask. Along what is called Grand Blvd, there is a collection of 15 firework technicians that are setting up for the fireworks that will be out for this twilight performance this afternoon. The heroes are there with Agent McGinley, Hun Darvish (the warden pro tem) and his assistant. In addition there is a group of four reporters that are following the group around. One of the four reporters is Julia McAvoy who keeps trying to ask the harder questions like "Did we need a super prison in this area before the Crusaders were formed?" Hun is trying to balance the reporters and the heroes and keeps glancing at his assistant to control the reporters. Hun is getting ready to take out the plans to the prison that he is holding in a large roll and Julia keeps pressing for answers when along the beach from the north end of the map, a collection of six "Jedi", all wielding different color light sabers (3 red, 2 blue and 1 green) are come down the beach looking all calling loudly to "Knight Light!".

Map
SouthManitouIsland_Groundbreaking-min.png
SouthManitouIsland_Groundbreaking-min.png (972.56 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Azir

While watching the approaching "Jedi", "Friends of yours Knight Light?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Grimm

Grimm moves a little away and tries to get a good look at them. Does he sense/detect if they are mutants?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

Knight Light laughed. "What, you guys don't have a fan club? C'mon, let me introduce you."

The past two months had changed him, Knight Light was sure of it. His ring was on its chain, against his chest, hidden. That had been the seismic shift of his life so far, even more than discovering that he wasn't like everyone else. The Force had long been a dream, and then a reality. But it was also something he understood only in part. With his team, now, he was learning more. They pushed themselves to get better, and he could do no less.

Yet the Force was internal to him. Perry, though, was external. She was his love, and that terrified him to no end. That he could love that much forced him to accept that others could as well. Now his world was so much more than just what he could do; it was what could be done.

Two months ago, the old Knight Light would remain hidden behind the rumor that he did not speak. That self did not understand the core value of being a hero; to inspire the heroic in everyone. Today, he had a duty.

Depending on who joins him, KL will introduce the PCs. I know there was talk of leadership transition, has that happened yet?

Knight Light walked forward to the Jedi group, meeting them part way. He smiled, knowing that it changed his voice and the mood. "I am humbled, and honored, that you are here. Please, tell me your names. Where are you from?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

Umbra

Always interested in meeting new people, Umbra follows behind Knight Light.

"This is all to do with these Star Wars movies the kids are so interested in?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse

Always the geek, Eclipse is fascinated by the fact that KL and his friends have somehow made the Jedi real, and what that might mean. However, he hangs back, stopping halfway between KL's group and the reporters.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:03 pm "This is all to do with these Star Wars movies the kids are so interested in?"
Knight Light nodded, and then shrugged as they walked. "There's a group that trains with wooded wasters, and they watch the movies a lot. Well, we watch them. They also watch whatever news clips are found of me, which is mildly embarrassing. I used to avoid being seen, or talking at all. Now, I guess if they are going to be heroic, part of my job is to encourage that in them. That's why I want them to meet you all, so they can see real heroes."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

Umbra nods

"There are far too few positive role-models these days, it all seems to be money and fast cars."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Azir

Azir follows along, "I can't even imagine having a fan club, that would be very weird."

I think Azir is up for leadership now, but can't recall if we made the transition yet.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Grimm

Grimm will hang back with Eclipse. "Lots of people around to keep track of I have a bad feeling something is going to happen here that isn't supposed to."

Return to “United Earth (Champions 5th Edition (HERO))”