OOC - Episode 4

SilverBen
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

OOC - Episode 4

#1 Post by SilverBen »

Adding this thread for all out of character discussions beyond a one line comment or question in the main episode 4 thread.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC - Episode 4

#2 Post by SilverBen »

@Bob, in earlier episodes we have established your character Mudlark as one of the PCs who knows Ganavette from the Slums district.

As of now, the character background I gave Ganavette was minimal, with three generic points: (1) the boy is an orphan, (2) he is a resident of the orphanage (3) the orphanage administraror is of questionable motives - potentially an unexpected ally, potentially a minor villian, or potentially inconsequential.

I'll take your lead here.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Urson »

Mudlark probably considers the woman who runs the orphanage to be a villain. She's heard the rumors about how the orphanage sells children to work in the mines, how the basement of the orphanage is a sweatshop weaving cheap fabric for export, and how the administrator is a demon worshipping fiend. She doesn't have any hard facts, but she's absolutely sure the woman is a BAD PERSON.
FA FO

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by SilverBen »

Awesome, and i will take your direction that she falls into the villain category. A reminder that she's only going to be a minor villain, so demon worshipping will be a minor aspect of her character... but I have something ready for you that I hope a thief like Mudlark will find challenging to lead the party through, or take on herself :twisted:

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by SilverBen »

Once Mudlark replies to Mundi, all characters will notice four oddities among the reading materials in the Library. They stand out to you as if objects for display, rather conspicuously placed in the large, overstuffed room...
1) a ceramic forearm and hand of a female human bearing a silver bracelet. The arm is clearly intended to serve as a display rack for several pieces of jewelry but only hangs this one woven bracelet featuring a large deep blue jewel set into its head.
2) a bone or white wooden flute, recognizable by its regular finger holes down its narrow length. The mouth piece contains its only sharp angles in contrast to its otherwise finely rounded shape
3) a single plaitnum coin, laying in a stoppered flask.
4) a conch shell with additional holes fashioned into its outer layers. A ceramic hand of a burly male is slipped through the hole, thumb extended to hold the shell in place on its palm.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by SilverBen »

In full disclosure, I cannot take full credit for the magical flute in the Civic Temple Library. It was loosely based on this item below, originally published in one of my favorite Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Rulebooks, Greyhawk Adventures (ISBN 10: 0880386495) written by James M. Ward. This hooks in with @Rob's elven character, Nesta, who plays flute - so I adopted the powers into the flute.

I've always wanted to play in an adventure that used it and now, thankfully to all of you players, I can run one with it! Hope you enjoy the game so far!
magicalitem1.png
magicalitem1.png (626.48 KiB) Viewed 590 times

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by SilverBen »

I think we are only waiting for @Mattias to post his response for Thorily and then we're ready for @Rex to provide Vatn's to finish of the responses to Mundi.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by SilverBen »

Urson wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:26 pm ...
Mudlark goes into burglar mode, studying the layout of the place. She's pretending not to care about the flute, but she's gathering ALL the information she can about the room- locations of windows, size of windows, protective runes worked into the decorations, landmarks she can see through the windows, condition and location of the bookshelves, etc.

I'm throwing in a couple of die rolls vs. her INT, if you need them.
IN 10, [1d20]=14 [1d20]=9
@Bob, duly noted, for simplicity and expedience, Mudlark takes full note of the room's attributes and security.

If there is a need for her to break in to procure booty in a later episode, we will revisit challenges, ability scores and die rolling.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Works for me.
FA FO

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by SilverBen »

@Rob, please update Nesta's character sheet with Brother Mundi's blessing - you may reroll all natural results of 1d20 = 1.

You may also add Abiliry Score bonuses for this challenge where applicable, meaning add Charisma bonus to your Charisma roll, etc.

If Nesta accepts Mundi's challenge to perform with his own flute, please make two Ability Checks, one vs Nesta's Charisma and one vs Nestas Dexterity. Each check must be less than or equal to the ability score to be successful. If both ate successful, Mundi and his servants have confidence in you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Will do.

Thanks!

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by SilverBen »

To all players, if you are willing to share your thoughts about the game mechanics, game play, or other aspects, please offer them here in this thread and I will do my best to integrate your comments in future episodes.

From my perspective, I am excited things are going well from a planning perspective. We are approaching the end (approximately the final 25%) of Act One, if this game were following the typical three act dramatic structure.

My intent was to design a game with a roster of colorful NPCs, conflicting factions, memorable magical items, believable villains, and exciting combat set pieces that could plausibly coexist in the same game setting. I tried to allow for multiple divergent paths with interconnections so that they (hopefully) converge in the same (or similar) climax.

What can be improved and how?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Seems to be going well so far, your doing a great job.

I am sure there is something that could get tweaked (there always is) but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Urson »

I have no notes or comments. You're the DM, running your game.
FA FO

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by sastaz »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:55 pm "You have my flute." :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

*strums a power chord on the Stratocaster* And my axe... :lorcl: :lorcl: :lorcl:
FA FO

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sastaz »

Well since you ask. Since you're already doing quite some planning up front I wouldn't mind agreeing on a theme, a few conflicts and one or two character arcs for Thorily. Loosely anyway.

And, I should add, I really enjoy this campaign already.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by redwarrior »

I'm also really enjoying this campaign so far!

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by SilverBen »

Thank you all for the comments, I just wanted to check through that things are satisfying you as players. There's both enough room for flexibility and we're early enough in the story to adjust, which is why I'm asking now

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by SilverBen »

Potential exits from Episode 4 include:
1) Visit Arkade Broder, who you encountered in the Market but whose home base can be found in the Guilds District
Objective: return the backpack and sextant this evening for a hefty reward in coin equal to a new sextant. (1d-3pp for each PC)

2) Visit Hilgrid at the Orphanage in the Old Town District.
Objective: inform Hilgrid that Ganavette, the orphan boy was injured and took healing from the Brotherhood of Njord. Explain that the boy is not yet fully recovered to leave their care and invite her to visit the boy here in the Civic Temple.

3) Visit Siggard Snellson, Nesta's known NPC, in the Guildhouse District, a former sea captain
Objective: to be provided by Ogre Mage

4) Something else not yet mentioned
Objective: player suggested

Please make suggestions and discuss in character

Return to “Light of Lost Souls (BX)”