[OOC] General discussion

Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[OOC] General discussion

#1 Post by Leitz »

For general discussion items, to include updates to the rules, "next step plans", etc.

Please also sound off that you can post here.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [OOC] General discussion

#2 Post by shaidar »

Hello!

:cool:

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:32 pm Hello!

:cool:
Hello yourself! I'm drafting up some basic characters, the first encounter will be "Combat". I'll send out the rules shortly, and ask those who want to participate to pick a couple of characters and try out the combat rules. Let me know what works, what's stupid, and what's not clear.

This way you can run things in your own time, and we can smooth off some of the very rough edges before actually making a character.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Campaign ID is 1024.

That said, feel free to roll dice, write a program to roll dice, or use the dice roller of your choice.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I am in.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

I've updated the character sheets, all of the combat information is on the front page, in the Description. I couldn't figure out how to put it in multi-line format, even an extra line space didn't help. Let me know if there's a better way to do this.

For those of you making up your own characters, here are the relevant rules I have so far.

Stats

Code: Select all

- Give the same modifier for each stat, no 18/00 Strength
 - - 3-,    -3
 - - 4,5    -2
 - - 6-8,   -1
 - - 9-12,   0
 - - 13-15, +1
 - - 16,17, +2
 - - 18+,   +3
The sample characters are "Militia", not full blooded Fighters. Characters get 1d6 HP + Con bonus per level, with max at first level. Fighters add their new level each level, so a 3rd level Fighter going to 4th level gets 1d6 + Con bonus + 4. The next level they would bet 1d6 + Con bonus + 5, etc.

Also, Weapon skill is separate from level. You can have a 1st level Fighter with a +4 Sword skill, or a 4th level with a +1 skills.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

If we are just testing the combat system at this point I have found in the past that a good test is never of 2 roughly equal opponents. That doesn't tell you anything. It is of 2 unequal opponents or 1 vs multiple. This way you know who should be winning and if they don't you know something is broken (unless the rolls are crazy unbalanced of course). A knight in armor should beat the barbarian in light armor every time for example.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hello I am in as well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:38 pm If we are just testing the combat system at this point I have found in the past that a good test is never of 2 roughly equal opponents. That doesn't tell you anything. It is of 2 unequal opponents or 1 vs multiple. This way you know who should be winning and if they don't you know something is broken (unless the rolls are crazy unbalanced of course). A knight in armor should beat the barbarian in light armor every time for example.
Eh, you didn't see the first version of the rules, even a simple 1:1 at even odds exposed a few bad ideas. You're right, though, and I put a high level character or two in the examples. Haven't done 1:many yet, it's been a busy weekend.

The goal is to have leveled up characters that won't necessarily die in the first couple of swings, but to avoid the super high HP types, too. You can do a lot of damage on a good hit, where Attack is high and Defense is low. Surprise attacks can be pretty deadly, unless I fix them, since Defense would be minimal. The same with missiles, but I think range penalties will be heavy.

Skill is separate from level, I wanted to allow someone who has trained a lot but doesn't have much real world experience.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm fine using one of the characters you have posted Leitz. No idea why but I am gravitating towards Cecil. Probably just due to the name.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I am fine using whoever. Not picky.

Return to “VLC Fantasy”