IC 002 - Crossing the Moche

sulldawga
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: IC 002 - Crossing the Moche

#81 Post by cybersavant »

Kaithar "If you have viable eggs to sell, you'll need to keep them warm and dry. Traipsing through the swamp would not benefit that goal. A little coin now, a report on that tower, and then a return is a possibility. We're under no time considerations, are we?"
Last edited by cybersavant on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Marullus »

We are still southwest of the tower, and on the south side of the circling trench which just elbowed NW and NE... and are we still outside the trench? It reads like we crossed the trench but are staying out of sight of the tower inside it?
...trying to understand if the trench is still circular and if we are on the west side by the hills now or on the south side, or if we actually reached/explored the northwest quadrant.

Gars looks up at late afternoon sun thoughtfully, then as the still untried camping gear on the mule.

"Belegroc will gladly carry our finds," he says, patting the mule affectionately on its withers. "We haven't even spent a whole day. And that's with taking our time. Now, I don't know much about rearing giant bird chicks, but if we need them to still be warm, we can probably take a faster walk back to town and be there tonight if not by dusk. It won't hurt us to sleep in real beds and cross the bridge again tomorrow."

He contemplates the curve of the trench. "Might be faster to finish clockwise around the circle here, and lets us know a bit more... but we know we'rein sight of Fort Advance, not hard to navigate to and across the farmland even if it gets dusk." (Unless we are SW and backtracking is obviously faster.)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"I am all right with heading back now. A bed and a warm meal does sound good."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by sulldawga »

Hallastor Hills
Late afternoon

The adventurers wrap the eggs in blankets and place them for transport on Gars' mule. They then continue their lap around the black tower.

There are some groves of trees a little over a mile to the NW of the axe beak lair. Atop one, the party notes a quite large nest. You ponder the size of the bird that lives there while continuing your trip but soon find the answer: a giant eagle soars overhead, flying back toward the nest with an elk in its claws. Belegroc snorts nervously.

You finish your exploration of the NW quadrant having noted the locations of the two lairs. You are at the northernmost point of the hex but will have to leave exploration of the NE quadrant for another day.

Turning toward The Farms, you cross a sort of No Man's Land where the King's Army has cleared a perimeter of any vegetation and flattened any hills to give clear visibility of anyone or anything approaching. The roads out here are mostly dirt tracks but you quickly come across a mounted patrol that challenges you. Once you identify yourselves and ask for directions, you are given instructions on how to get to paved roads and, once you find those, you make good time to the bridge.

The last of the daylight has faded as you approach Ket, and the sky is clear and streaked with beautiful red color fading into purple. However, past sunset the night is quite dark as it's a new moon. As you suspected, the gates to the city are locked but there is a large grassy area set up just over the bridge where tradesmen camp out and you find a spot to settle in for the night. You had thoughtfully gathered wood as you went, knowing that a campfire would be of the utmost importance to keeping the eggs warm, and the group is well and truly tired the next morning from taking turns stoking the fire and keeping it hot.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by sulldawga »

Ket
Date: Fourthmonth, Secondday (The Bloom 2)
Weather: High temp of 54 degrees, light fog, winds at 7 mph
Moon: Waxing crescent

The party wakes to a new day. The gates are open and the bridge to Ket is accessible.

Actions?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"Lets see if we can sell those eggs."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by Enoch »

Lavin nods in agreement. "Sooner started, sooner finished."
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Urson »

Mikhail
Phys. Saves: 16
[1d20]=14
FA FO

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by sulldawga »

Ket
Left bank of the Moche

Mikhail awakens feeling no ill effects from the scratch on his hand. The party loads the eggs back onto the mule and heads across the bridge to Ket.

Ket seems a little smaller now that most of the settlers have left for greener pastures on the other side of the river. The roads are less crowded, but the buzz is still there. The wheels of commerce are still grinding away and you notice more homes being built. There are also boarding houses with rooms for rent on a long-term basis should any of you want something more comfortable than crowding into the common room at an inn.

Some of the stands at the fairgrounds are approaching semi-permanent status. There is a lot of activity despite it not being a Fair day. Mikhail is able to find Damron, the Animals merchant, who appears genuinely surprised when you show him your eggs.

"Well... damn! I didn't expect anyone to go out into the wilderness and come back with some axe beaks the very next day! Let me feel them."

He holds them in his hands, then presses them to his face.

"Yes, it does appear they all are viable. I am interested in all of them but... well... if I'm being truthful, I don't have the coin. Tell you what. Here's the deal. I've got 80 sp on me right now. That's 20 sp per egg. For every one that hatches true, I'll pay you another 50 sp each. We should know within a week, maybe sooner. Once they hatch and I have them all in my corral, I can get a loan easy and pay you back. What do you say?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by sulldawga »

After speaking with Damron, Mikhail seeks out the Food and Animal Parts merchant. A tall older woman with long, loose straw-colored hair and loose-fitting clothes named Collon takes a look at what you're trying to sell.

Axe beak meat is not in demand at all ("very gamey," says Collon) but she'll give you 5 sp for the monster parts.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Marullus »

Cha+Trade [1d20+1]=10+1=11

Having discussed the eggs value on their trek, Gars settles into the patter of haggling. "Now, you were right when you said you didn't expect such valiant service! You have the first exotic beasts, to be sure, and perhaps the only ones." An offer of 280sp when they are worth 800sp seems quite light - he does his best to rectify it.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by sulldawga »

Damron hems and haws.

"Now look here. I have to sell these axe beaks to someone else. If I give you full value, where's my cut? I'll give you, say, 150 sp each. 600 in total. 80 now and the rest once they hatch and look good."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

Ciarra knows better than getting involved in any haggling and looks at someone elses wares while it is going on.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:06 am Damron hems and haws.

"Now look here. I have to sell these axe beaks to someone else. If I give you full value, where's my cut? I'll give you, say, 150 sp each. 600 in total. 80 now and the rest once they hatch and look good."
Gars looks to Mikhail for approval, shaking in agreement if he receives it. "We'd not rob you of livelihood," he smiles.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by cybersavant »

Kaithar wanders the streets taking in all the new construction and noting the new people until the others have finished business.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Urson »

Mikhail
Yar, I figger we can take the 600. He offers his calloused hand to shake.

-Later-
Now we got some money to get better supplies- plus clean beds, a hot dinner, and hot baths all 'round. We should make a list of things we need.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"Maybe another mule, a couple of tarps, a couple more waterskins, and a couple of tarps."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Urson »

Mikhail
How many tarps do you figger we need? Mikhail chuckles.
Maybe a couple o' prybars, a couple of shovels... A second mule is good- we'll have cargo space for ever'thin that way.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"I would say 2 10'x10' tarps would be good, we already have a tent. We have 1 shovel, so maybe 1 more plus 2 pry-bars and 2 picks."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by sulldawga »

Urson wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:37 pm Mikhail
Yar, I figger we can take the 600. He offers his calloused hand to shake.
Damron shakes on it. He walks away briefly and returns with a bag containing 80 sp.

I reckon these eggs will hatch within a week. Once I know how many we got, I'll get a loan for the rest of the coin I owe you and we'll settle. And if you get any more eggs, you come to me. I'm always buying.

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”