IC 001 - The Game is Afoot

sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

IC 001 - The Game is Afoot

#1 Post by sulldawga »

Ket
Date: Thirdmonth, Twentyfourth Day (Galehome 24)
Weather: Clear, winds at 13 mph, high temp of 56 degrees
Moon: Third quarter waning
Special: Vernal Equinox and First day of Spring Festival!

The gods must be favoring Ket as recent clouds have retreated and it is unseasonably warm, albeit a bit windy as the party finally arrives at their destination. At first, only the towering Falkenhorn was visible, then the spire of a church, and finally the stockade fence of the town itself. What appears to be a thriving tent village rings the packed dirt grounds of the Market Fair, itself swarming with merchants and shoppers. Two bored town guards leaning on their spears push themselves upright and move to acknowledge your arrival.

After confirming that you are not merchants interested in selling your wares, they give you the lowdown. "Yesterday was Market Day and as you can see, it was a doozy with all of the farmers here. Good news is none of the merchants have left so you didn't miss anything. Today is the first day of the Spring Festival. Normally it'd be just the one day but, with Land Grant Day and all, it'll last five days. The first day of The Bloom is Land Grant Day and that's when the bridge opens and everyone gets their shot at a homestead. If you've got silver, there's a number of Inns in town, although I have no idea if there are any rooms left. If not, open camping is allowed by the fairgrounds here. Any questions?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC 001 - The Game is Afoot

#2 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"Thank you for the information, very helpful of you. I don't have any questions but will look around and see what is available. Enjoy your day."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

The group of companions is tired from the road, glad for the respite the town ahead of them promises. Gars steps up, never one to shy away from a diplomatic situation, providing their introduction and assurance they're not merchants. "Glad you're keeping an eye on things, gentlemen. Festival's a fine time to arrive, eh?" Engaging them in small talk, he tries to elicit recommendations about the festival and also what they know or hear rumored about the far side of the river.
Cha+Convince for eliciting the guards (roll+2) [1d6]=2[1d6]=3 (reroll 1s) [1d6]=5[1d6]=3[1d6]=5[1d6]=3

Getting directions from the guards, his next stop is Riverside, hoping to get an audience with the Fort-Captain and perhaps commission from him to get paid for solving a need... with so many civilians crossing into the unknown, surely they're something he's hoping to pay to get it resolved. He produces a sealed letter, hoping his friends in the capital do well by him...
Cha+Connect for letter of introduction to Fort Captain [2d6+2]=6+2=8

Most importantly, he hopes to negotiate before leaving the Fort (all the better if he's on a task from the Fort-Captain, now) to talk them into providing him a map of what the soldier's know of the far side... surely the three strongholds have known routes? And what is it that those routes are trying to avoid?
Negotiating for a soldier's map (roll+2) [1d6]=2[1d6]=5 (reroll 1s) [1d6]=1[1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=3

It sounded like you wanted to expedite the town-portion, so I stacked actions. I hope that's alright. In any case, adjudicate or discard as you see fit.)

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by cybersavant »

With the news of Land Grant Day and people spreading beyond the river, Kaither bid farewell to the old hermit, Vorthon, who took him in as a child. The old man wished him luck in finding his family, if indeed they lived beyond the river. Kaither headed toward Ket, and joined with a small of travellers. "I have been to Ket a few times over the years with Vorthon. For me there is not much there, except the way across the river." He follows the others to see where they are staying, in case he needs to find them before Land Grant Day.

Last edited by cybersavant on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Mikhail
Mikhail shakes his head, annoyed at how Ket has turned into a "big town."
Turning to his new companions, If you decide to camp, I'll be settin' up over there. I'll share my fire with you. He gestures toward a spot in the camping area.
Over the next few days, he'll be visiting all the fur traders he knows who either have shops in town or are here for the Fair. He's establishing (or re-establishing) connections with them before he heads across the river. He's also looking for any lore that people have to tell about the prospects beyond the river.
He'll be competing in the Archery competition, also.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"I am planning on camping so will gladly share your fire Mikhail."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:24 pm The group of companions is tired from the road, glad for the respite the town ahead of them promises. Gars steps up, never one to shy away from a diplomatic situation, providing their introduction and assurance they're not merchants. "Glad you're keeping an eye on things, gentlemen. Festival's a fine time to arrive, eh?" Engaging them in small talk, he tries to elicit recommendations about the festival and also what they know or hear rumored about the far side of the river.
Cha+Convince for eliciting the guards (roll+2) [1d6]=2[1d6]=3 (reroll 1s) [1d6]=5[1d6]=3[1d6]=5[1d6]=3
The guards appear to have had this same discussion with many other visitors, as their response is well-practiced. The Festival details are as follows:
  • This time of year is usually when fresh food is at its lowest, as everyone is coming out of the winter months eating stored food, so the King has sent some fresh foods from warmer climes and grain to bake breads to help celebrate. Many townspeople have baked pies, buns, turnovers, and tarts to the delight of both children and adults.
  • The King's representative gives a speech on the first day, then the Elder of Albor and the High Monk of Pem. These speeches can go long so, by the time it's the High Mayor's turn, he's cracking jokes and drinking ale and it's a signal for merriment to begin.
  • Ket is a fishing village at heart so there has to be a fishing contest, overseen by the monks of Pem.
  • There's a "plow race" to begin cultivation of the town's common plot of land. Each man would try and furrow as many lines as possible, as he would be able to sow those lines during the coming year.
  • Children would play the role of "Fool Plow" and go from house to house asking for copper pennies. Those who refuse would find the ground in front of their door plowed up.
  • There will be contests of strength. Men and women compete to carry barrels of ale from one place to another as fast as possible. Afterward, everyone drinks!
  • These competitions generally happen in the afternoon, followed by a bonfire at dusk.
  • There is no local lord so there's not a Tournament (alas, no jousting or melees) but there would be an Archery contest.
The guards have been keeping an eye on the settlers for over a month now and haven't heard any of the gossip about what's across the river.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Enoch »

Lavin sidles up next to Gars as she watches the bustle of market day quickly morphing into a full-blown festival.

"Entering any of the contests, Gars? I was thinking one of the tests of strength, but it seems to me the boys don't like being bested by a lass. I might try my hand at archery, but I've not spent much time with a bow." She chatters on in excitement, her words running into one another in her enthusiasm. "Maybe fishing. I'm no fisherwoman either, but it seems relaxing, and I'm betting that come Land Grant, relaxing is the last thing we'll have time for. What do you think?"
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Gars loiters casually with Lavin, people-watching his preferred activity of the day already. He chuckles lightly as he answers, "savvy diplomacy, to know when a win will actually be a loss. The right participation, though, can be a winnowing... those who are disgruntled at your prowess as a woman are chaff to blow away, and those who can challenge your own strength without such poor temperament might be ripe for harvest... in a recruiting-new-companions sense, at least. To heft barrels and then drink, I think, might be wise for you... or at least fun." He looks ruefully at his own physique and winks at her. "Prowess in hefting, shooting, fishing or plowing is all beyond me," he says lightly, a discerning eye watching the High Mayor cracking jokes and drinking ale upon the raised platform, "and I suspect there is no contest here for the prowess of intellect. I think I will try my luck at the fort in Riverside - perhaps the Fort-Captain has a reward in coin for a well-led and capable crew willingto handle the risks he'd rather that his men don't take. Besides, our best bet right now is to get a map."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

Ciarra will wander around and look for anything interesting. While doing so she will get herself something that smells good and is hot and steaming to eat.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:24 pmGetting directions from the guards, his next stop is Riverside, hoping to get an audience with the Fort-Captain and perhaps commission from him to get paid for solving a need... with so many civilians crossing into the unknown, surely they're something he's hoping to pay to get it resolved.

Most importantly, he hopes to negotiate before leaving the Fort (all the better if he's on a task from the Fort-Captain, now) to talk them into providing him a map of what the soldier's know of the far side... surely the three strongholds have known routes? And what is it that those routes are trying to avoid?
Negotiating for a soldier's map (roll+2) [1d6]=2[1d6]=5 (reroll 1s) [1d6]=1[1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=3
The Moathouse

Fort-Captain Nisus has the appearance of being angry all the time, and Gars enters his office to the echoes of shouted orders at hastily-fleeing subordinates. However, the silver-tongued diplomat is quickly able to put the soldier at ease.

"Another one of you adventurers, eh? I just had one in here not too long ago. You should get names for your parties so I can tell you apart. "Gars and his Gamboling Globetrotters" or some such. Anyway, I'll tell you the same thing I told them. There's trouble everywhere." He waves his hand idly at the sheafs of paper on his desk. "Just around the swamp, I have news of painted berserkers riding wolves! Boars the size of elephants! Wasps the size of boars! Bandits in league with druids. It's anarchy out there."

He pauses for a moment to catch his breath and wipe his brow with a handkerchief.

"You clear out any of those nuisances and I'll pay hard silver."

Nisus stiffens up at the mention of maps. "I should be asking you! My scouts run back to their mommas the first sign of any danger. You're on your own there, pardner. Tell you what though. I like the cut of your jib. Here's a look at the general lay of the land. Can't show you much more but this'll help you get oriented whilst you're out there."

See the map I posted in the Setting of the Game thread.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sulldawga »

Ket, Fairgrounds

Anyone wandering the fairgrounds looking for itinerant merchants will note these ten:
  • Tools
  • Books and maps
  • Religious idols and blessings
  • Jewelry and gems
  • Medium and heavy armor and shields
  • Animals (mounts and pets)
  • Weapons
  • Leatherworking
  • Food and animal parts
  • A strange shop claiming to traffic in "enchanted items of wonder and puissance"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sulldawga »

Ket, Fairgrounds

Anyone who wants to enter the Archery contest must compete in three areas.

The first is Clout Shooting. The Clout is laid flat on the ground and each archer aims to hit the target by firing their arrow up to arc it down on top of the target. The winner is the one who places his arrow closest to the Clout. Each archer looses three arrows.

Roll a d20 three times, adding your BAB, Shoot skill bonus (or lack thereof), and Dex bonus. The highest rolls will win.

The second is Roving Marks. Archers shoot at a target, and then shoot at another target from the site of the first target, and so on. There are four targets. As the archers need to run to each mark to loose the next arrow, the AC of each target becomes higher to represent the difficulty in calming the body to aim properly after a run. The targets are AC 10, 12, 14, and 16.

Roll four d20s with bonuses as before, and we'll see who can hit each of the four targets.

The third is Butt Shooting. Butts (turfs of earth) hold up targets. Each target has an outer ring (AC 12), a middle ring (AC 15), and a bullseye (AC 18). Each archer gets three shots at the target. 10 points for hitting the outer ring, 25 points for hitting the middle ring, and 50 points for hitting the bullseye.

Roll three d20s with bonuses as before. Winner is whoever gets the highest score from the combo of their three arrows.

Note that I already rolled out results for 13 competitors for the other group of PCs so you will be competing against those same rolls. I can post details of the composition of the 13 NPCs if you're curious but it's a mix of peasants/farmers, hunters, and soldiers. The sole PC in the other group rolled a nat 20 and tied for 1st in Clout Shooting but didn't finish higher than 5th in the other two categories so competition is stiff.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Gars thanks Nisus and takes the opportunity/suggestion to make sure they've made an impression - Party names indeed! Gars' Globetrotters sounds more like a team of sport than serious expeditionaries," he chuckles. "No, you may call us Ruprect's Rangers. I'm sure we'll be back for your rewards in silver soon enough." He winks, then he bids the Fort-Captain farewell and heads back along the dusty street to the fairground.

Gars wanders the fairgrounds, seeing what catches his eye. He is drawn to the merchant's Books and maps, of course, perusing them to see the authenticity and veracity of what made it as far afield as this backwater Ket. Anything on times of antiquity, especially maps that might be found to corrolate with the old kingdom and beyond the river, are better off in his hands than those of any others...
Int+Know [2d6+1]=9+1=10

Idle curiosity also leads him to inspect the "enchanted items of wonder and puissance" for surely no true artifacts of power would be on an intinerant cart here. Only, mayhaps, if the soldiers traded them without knowing the true puissance they bring...
Int+Magic [2d6+2]=8+2=10

He also chats up both cart owners to find what they'd like from brave souls going to dark places like his brave rangers will, establish himself with them as a local scholar as well, and negotiate down the prices of anything that catches his eye. (i.e. whichever of those needs a roll.)
Cha+Connect/Convince (2d6+2) [1d6]=4[1d6]=1 (Diplomacy/Negotiation rerolls) [1d6]=4[1d6]=6[1d6]=5
(4+4+2 = also 10)

Meeting back up with his companions at Mikhail's campfire, sharing the fresh bread baked with diced fruits that he got from a vendor. Quietly he tells them of what he's learned so they can determine their course. Getting out his leather case and piece of parchment, he begins inking a map based on what he saw upon Nisus' desk. "The Captain will pay hard silver for solving his problems across the river... his current concerns are centered on this swamp, here. Just around the swamp, painted berserkers riding wolves, Boars the size of elephants, Wasps the size of boars, Bandits in league with druids." He looks to the others for their reactions. "A moderate course would be to head that way, see what we can learn, get paid, establish ourselves with the constabulary and get proper funds for deeper exploration. Alternatively, we could head towards the Falkenhorn, here. Avoid the known troubles and seek the ruins more likely in those high-ground foothills with access to the river between there and Song Lake." He dabs off his quill on a blotting cloth, then puts it away in his case, looking at the scant map. "I told the Fort-Captain we're rangers... so which way to range?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

Ciarra is mostly listening for rumors as she wanders the fair. If a chance arises she will offer aid with her healing, she has found in the past it is an excellent way to make friends with the locals.

Back at the campfire. "Sounds like there is a source of coin checking around the swamp."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Enoch »

Lavin returns from a day of sampling sweets and pestering the local soldiers to spar with her. She joins the rest of the group at the campfire and listens thoughtfully as Gars relays what he's learned. She shrugs languidly and says "Swamps are not particularly nice places...but if we're looking for coin and adventure and discoveries, it sounds like that is a good place to start."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:48 pm Gars wanders the fairgrounds, seeing what catches his eye. He is drawn to the merchant's Books and maps, of course, perusing them to see the authenticity and veracity of what made it as far afield as this backwater Ket. Anything on times of antiquity, especially maps that might be found to corrolate with the old kingdom and beyond the river, are better off in his hands than those of any others...
Int+Know [2d6+1]=9+1=10
Reena Spidros, Books and Maps vendor

Reena has inks and pens and paper on display. She also has a few books on display but they are under glass. The titles suggest that they are treatises on geography or histories of lands far to the east.

Behind her looks like the good stuff. She has an atlas, calligrapher's supplies, cartographer's tools, half-rolled up maps, and a guidebook that, if you are not mistaken, is titled Arachnids of the Nen Forest.

Everything about the stand suggests this is a high quality purveyor of goods who has an impressive collection for a traveling merchant.

"I'll save you the trouble of asking me," Reena says with a flat affect in her voice. "You can't afford it. I've seen a few adventurers like you coming through here. Your eyes are bigger than your coinpurse."

She smiles wryly. "Everything you can afford pertains to the east. Everything you want," she points west toward the river, "you can't afford. Maybe buy the cartographer's tools? Make your own map and I'll buy it from you." She turns and picks up the packet of map paper and inks. "15 silver."
Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:48 pmIdle curiosity also leads him to inspect the "enchanted items of wonder and puissance" for surely no true artifacts of power would be on an intinerant cart here. Only, mayhaps, if the soldiers traded them without knowing the true puissance they bring...
Int+Magic [2d6+2]=8+2=10
Gurcy, Magic Items vendor

Gurcy's collection is truly mind-boggling. Luckily, unlike Reena, she is happy to discuss her wares despite knowing that Gars hasn't the coin for a single thing she's selling. It helps that Gars can talk the talk and demonstrate his knowledge of the Art. She seems to appreciate talking with someone who is 'in the know'. She shows him a statuette carved from ebony that transforms into a giant fly! She also displays a mace with a head made of a chunk of iridescent mineral. She claims one hit from the mace will blast the walking dead straight to the Underrealm! Finally, some children walk by and she smiles. "Watch this."

She grabs a dull black metal rod and calls the children over. She holds it out above their heads and lets go... and it hangs there in the air! She tells the children she'll give a silver piece to whichever one can claim the rod. They all clamber over each other to tug and pull on it. Even with five or six of them hanging on it, they can't move it an inch. She finally gives each of them a copper to move along. She then makes a point of showing Gars the button which, when pushed, releases the Rod.

"if you find anything interesting and you think it's magical but you're not sure, or you don't want it and would rather have some coin instead, come back and see me."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"I say we should head for the swamp at our first opportunity, the sooner we get going the sooner we get a jump on anyone else going."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Enoch »

Lavin tucks a stray bit of hair behind her ear and studies Gars' map. "If we're headed for the swamp--and that seems like a good idea to me--we'll need to set a course. We could go through the homestead area." she traces a path toward Fort Illumination on the map. "That has the advantage of being the quickest path, and probably the safest. Or we could strike out past Fort Advance into the grasslands here--" she traces a line southwest from Ket, through the homesteads, and into the grasslands on the map-- "then strike up northwest to the swamp. Longer, probably a bit more dangerous, but it gets us out of controlled lands faster."

She looks up from the map, searching her compatriots' faces for opinions.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"That seems the most direct route. Makes sense to take it."

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”