Character Generation - Kumo Clan

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Generation - Kumo Clan

#21 Post by jemmus »

Thanks Marullus! ::thumbs up:: I'll just add a couple of things.

-Will is one of the usually 3 attributes that, totaled together, determine the Base Chance of Success (BCS) in a combat or physical skill (such as suiei (swimming) karumijutsu (climbing and jumping)). For example, kenjutsu (swordsmanship) skill is determined by the total of Strength + Deftness + Will. My ninja in Marullus's Bushido game has total of 60. So divided by 5, a BCS of 12 (60%) on a 1d20 roll.
-Ninjutsu (stealth) skill score is determined by Deftness + Speed + Wit.
-Hensu-jutsu (traveling or dealing with the public in disguise) skill score is determined by Will + Wit.
Being a dumb jock like my bushi characters are may not be a good option for ninja. :)

-No need to roll for birth caste and rank. All members of the Kumo clan are Eta, High Rank. That's for purposes of rolling Money Dice on the Birth Table (Book 1, p. 39). In practice, the clan has no social Rank. Rank levels are comparative to other members of the same cast in social situations. Ninja Kumo clan members never reveal their true identities outside of the clan, so comparative social rank never comes up.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:32 pm -Ninjutsu (stealth) skill score is determined by Deftness + Speed + Wit.
-Hensu-jutsu (traveling or dealing with the public in disguise) skill score is determined by Will + Wit.
Yep - all the skills are programmed for initial values. They can tweak around their attributes and see if they get what they like.

-
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:32 pmNo need to roll for birth caste and rank. All members of the Kumo clan are Eta, High Rank. That's for purposes of rolling Money Dice on the Birth Table (Book 1, p. 39).
It only matters for a few things, and they're programmed, too. (Which is why I didn't mention it.) Especially if we are using the commune rules and not tracking coin, right?
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:32 pm In practice, the clan has no social Rank. Rank levels are comparative to other members of the same cast in social situations. Ninja Kumo clan members never reveal their true identities outside of the clan, so comparative social rank never comes up.
Yep. Group status is used within the clan. (Looking at page 23, you decide as GM if/when someone is a "senior member" or has "favor of the clan head." Eventually what "supervisor" or "manager" means.)

I would expect that comparative social rank outside the clan comes up when a character is negotiating with outsiders for clan services. (Some diplomacy is needed at some point, after all.) That just might not be PCs any time soon.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Grognardsw »

Thanks Marullus for the sheet, it is helpful.
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:32 pm ...My ninja in Marullus's Bushido game has total of 60. So divided by 5, a BCS of 12 (60%) on a 1d20 roll.
Does this mean you have a 0 in the other Attributes, if the max is 60?

My character sheet is underway (see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true ). I assume he'd middling overall, it's hard to tell. The 60 spread among seven attributes, while keeping the recommended levels on some, results in several quite low. Weapons and equipment are on the Development page, and it looks like I'll need to type them on the Character sheet page also.

To confirm, you get the weapons for which you've picked a bugei, regardless of cost. I couldn't find the Blowgun (Fuki-Buri-Jutsu) in the weapon chart on p. 58.

And with the 9 gimmick points I rolled, I pick that many gimmicks, regardless of their cost?

Is Kaida a continuing character, having 89 total Attribute points instead of 60, or did I misinterpret somehow?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ffilz »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 am Thanks Marullus for the sheet, it is helpful.
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:32 pm ...My ninja in Marullus's Bushido game has total of 60. So divided by 5, a BCS of 12 (60%) on a 1d20 roll.
Does this mean you have a 0 in the other Attributes, if the max is 60?

My character sheet is underway (see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true ). I assume he'd middling overall, it's hard to tell. The 60 spread among seven attributes, while keeping the recommended levels on some, results in several quite low. Weapons and equipment are on the Development page, and it looks like I'll need to type them on the Character sheet page also.

To confirm, you get the weapons for which you've picked a bugei, regardless of cost. I couldn't find the Blowgun (Fuki-Buri-Jutsu) in the weapon chart on p. 58.

And with the 9 gimmick points I rolled, I pick that many gimmicks, regardless of their cost?

Is Kaida a continuing character, having 89 total Attribute points instead of 60, or did I misinterpret somehow?
It's 60 points divided among 6 attributes not 7. Additionally as a Ninja, you get an additional 35 points as: STR +5, DFT +10, SPD +10, HLT +10 (these adders should be on the development sheet).

And I just noticed, Bushi get a net +35, Budoka +35, Gakusho +20, Shugenja +20, Ninja +35, Yakuza +40. No wonder the spell casters struggle with attribute distribution...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

I am running behind. Just haven't had time to work on a character but will get to it later this week.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 am Thanks Marullus for the sheet, it is helpful.
You're welcome! :)

I think the issues you are having are because you're overwriting the formulas on the Character Sheet tab instead of building on the Development Tab.
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 am Does this mean you have a 0 in the other Attributes, if the max is 60?
As Ffilz points out, you have 35 points already set for you as a Ninja. You are distributing 60 points freely and will have a total of 95 actual points. The sheet keeps a total for you right below the discretionary points column to help you keep track. (On the development tab, distribute the 60 points in column C and it will add together.)

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amI assume he'd middling overall, it's hard to tell. The 60 spread among seven attributes, while keeping the recommended levels on some, results in several quite low.
You will end up with 95 total.

For reference, the "common man" is considered to have a 10 in each attribute. If you are less than 10, you are "below average."
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amWeapons and equipment are on the Development page, and it looks like I'll need to type them on the Character sheet page also.
The Character Sheet has formulas to point to the the Development Sheet. If you copy them down for additional rows, they will show additional weapons you've added.
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amTo confirm, you get the weapons for which you've picked a bugei, regardless of cost.
Yes. And you also get the Ninjato which is equivalent to a katana (not a katana).
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amI couldn't find the Blowgun (Fuki-Buri-Jutsu) in the weapon chart on p. 58.
Blowgun manufacture is a Gimmick.
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amAnd with the 9 gimmick points I rolled, I pick that many gimmicks, regardless of their cost?
...Yes, I think so.

I haven't delved into the gimmicks much at all, but with a quick look, no stats for them align with the idea of "initial gimmick points" so I assume 1 each unless Jemmus says otherwise.
Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 amIs Kaida a continuing character, having 89 total Attribute points instead of 60, or did I misinterpret somehow?
You will have 95 points and normally she would only get 80. The is adding 9 points from the Karma rules which apply from a previous character's death, which is why she has 89 to your 95. (Spellcasters normally have no physical capabilities at all and it's a huge struggle. Since she has to run with Ninjas, this Karma helps so she doesn't just ruin your missions.)

After missions, we all will get downtime training which raises skills, and raising skills also raises associated attributes. So, we will all improve these attributes through play and they only suck this bad for the starting mission.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:29 am
You will have 95 points and normally she would only get 80. The is adding 9 points from the Karma rules which apply from a previous character's death, which is why she has 89 to your 95. (Spellcasters normally have no physical capabilities at all and it's a huge struggle. Since she has to run with Ninjas, this Karma helps so she doesn't just ruin your missions.)

After missions, we all will get downtime training which raises skills, and raising skills also raises associated attributes. So, we will all improve these attributes through play and they only suck this bad for the starting mission.
Oh, are we doing karma for replacement characters? I missed that. I still need to sit down and do up my ninja.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

hp [1d6]=6 starting age [1d6+15]=1+15=16

I am not sure on skills, which column do I set to 0?
Bushido-Ninja Rex.xlsx
(61.04 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Gimmiks [2d5+3]=2+3=5

I gave skills and gimmicks a try but not sure they are correct.
Bushido-Ninja Rex.xlsx
(60.98 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Nice, Rex! Looks like you figured it out. You picked the right amount and types of skills. Having all attributes evenly balanced is interesting. I think you did the Gimmicks right (you rolled 5 and picked 5) but I'll wait for Jemmus to comment there.

I also apologize that I noticed incorrect formulas (E22:E24 on the Development Sheet), if you copy/paste E25 into those cells, they should add your level and be 1 higher. I fixed this on your sheet (re-attached here).

You chose to be proficient in swords, daggers, and martial arts strikes. I've updated your weapons. You also took Silent Kill and Quickdraw, which will be very interesting in combination with your swords and daggers.

You chose Atemi-Waza (karate) for your unarmed style. That means you can do two hand strikes at short range (one at full BCS and one at half BCS) or one foot strike at medium range. I listed that in your weapons, too.
Attachments
Bushido-Ninja Rex (1).xlsx
(61.2 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:38 am My character sheet is underway (see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true ).
...also got to look over your sheet here. As above, put your 60 points in the red box for Initial Attributes, which will then have a total of 95 points.

You picked skills correctly except that you also get Ninjitsu as an automatic pick. (Add it in addition to the ones you chose.)

You have Shuriken and Blowgun where Rex does not. He Swims and uses Daggers where you do not. You both have Quick Draw and Silent Kill... they're cool if we're murdering but nobody has jump/climb and its subcomponent, ceiling-walking. It's worth considering that for group dynamics.

You both also picked Lockpicking and Tracking, if you want to consider differentiating or not.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

I will think it over and make another attempt when I get home. I didn't look at anyone else's sheet so will try and do that. I can move away from the quick draw silent kill, just going for Ninja feel. I thought he could climb already for some reason so most likely I will take climbing/jumping. Planning on going with infiltration so likely keep lockpicking but switch tracking.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by jemmus »

Looking good! To clarify some of the rules.
Gimmicks -
2D5 + Rank Factor of Task Points to acquire Gimmicks.
The Rank Factor (Abbreviated as RF) is 3 if High,2 if Middle, and 1 if Low.

The PCs are High rank, so they get 2d5+3 in Task Points to buy gimmicks from the clan. Gimmick costs in Task value are on p. 77.

The player will apply the Karma for a dead character to the next Player Character he designs of the same Profession as the deceased character. I think we should ignore this rule this time. This game was specifically set up for ninja PCs, so I don't think it's fair to penalize players whose deceased PC had a different profession. Besides, this is slow PBP, no use slowing character advancement down even further.
Initial Attribute Increase. The player may add the Karma points allocated for Initial Attributes. Thus, a player loses a Bushi who had 4 points of Karma at the time of his death. For the next Bushi Player Character he designs, the player will have 64 points to allocate among the initial Attributes.
Per point of Ki +1
Died in combat +1
Committed Seppuku to preserve Honor +5
Committed Seppuku to restore lost Honor +1
For every full 100 points of On +1
Died for noble cause (eg. to save Lord’s life) +1 to 5
One cannot combine the Karma for two dead Bushi to benefit a single new character.

ffliz's and Marullus's PC's (who died in a tragic TPK (a natural lightning bolt hit a tree, which exploded) were 2nd level, so 2 Ki. (Information on Ki starts on p. 21).
Died in combat - N/A
Per 100 points of On - N/A. The PCs were 2nd level, so they had 10-50 On. (We use milestone leveling in the game, rather than tracking Budo and On). (Info on leveling is on p.26).
Died for a noble cause - +3. Died while on a hard pilgrimage in mid-winter one encouraged by a PC's sensei and possibly Raijin, the god of thunder, himself.
So, 2+3=5 Karma for the new PCs to add to their initial Attributes. That should make them a little more powerful, but not unreasonably so.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by jemmus »

Rex wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:37 pm I will think it over and make another attempt when I get home. I didn't look at anyone else's sheet so will try and do that. I can move away from the quick draw silent kill, just going for Ninja feel. I thought he could climb already for some reason so most likely I will take climbing/jumping. Planning on going with infiltration so likely keep lockpicking but switch tracking.
There's this from the Campaign Setting thread. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 82#p649682
-The PCs are members of the Kumo ninja clan. The clan specializes in scaling castle walls and jumping (karumijutsu) and swimming (suiei). +5 to initial bugei scores, and there will be training bonuses for those bugei. The clan has never focused on use of edged weapons such as swords, knives and arrows, although they appreciate their value. If you take either of the bonuses for jumping/climbing and swimming (or both), -3 to the initial bugei score for those. But no training minuses for them.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:04 pm -The PCs are members of the Kumo ninja clan. The clan specializes in scaling castle walls and jumping (karumijutsu) and swimming (suiei). +5 to initial bugei scores, and there will be training bonuses for those bugei. The clan has never focused on use of edged weapons such as swords, knives and arrows, although they appreciate their value. If you take either of the bonuses for jumping/climbing and swimming (or both), -3 to the initial bugei score for those. But no training minuses for them.
So, the -3 applies to kenjutsu, tantojutsu AND kyujutsu? (Though, bows aren't Ninja skills)

...this isn't built in yet.
jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:48 pm So, 2+3=5 Karma for the new PCs to add to their initial Attributes. That should make them a little more powerful, but not unreasonably so.
Haruto had five Ki (Shugenja end up with more because of mastered language skills) and got a 1d6 for Pious Layman, but I didn't add in the stuff you did below. With your math below Kaida would get 11, but if it's alright I will just leave it at the 9 already calculated. As above, that brings her up to only 6 below the other PCs instead of 15 below, and that really helps.
Last edited by Marullus on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Then climbing/jumping it is. I already have swimming. My understanding is I have sword, could I change that to another weapon instead? I will switch dagger, I almost took garrote so may take that. Hmmm...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Sword is weird. Ninja specifies that every PC gets the kenjutsu skill and a ninjato sword with it, but that skill is NOT a Ninja bonus skill or on their list.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

Here's some other options to consider (that are totally extra)...

Being Female:
A special word needs to be said about the female Ninja, or
"kunoichi." Besides training in the same secret Skills as male Ninja,
the Kunoichi learned to use her gender as a weapon in her role as spy
or assassin. While usually employed as an intelligence gatherer or to
infiltrate a site preparatory to opening its defenses to a Ninja assault
force, the Kunoichi could be as deadly as any of her Caste at need.
As a female, you add bonus skill bugei of Naginatajutsu, Tantojutsu, or Shurikenjutsu. As Ninja you have the latter two, but you do get the glaive-like polearm as an option.

Being Pious
There's also a special option for PCs who are especially religiously faithful (without actually taking the Gakusho cleric class). You pick whether you are a faithful Buddhist or Shinto.

...this could be interesting option if a character were Shinto and pious to the Ancestor kami of the Kumo clan. (You are SO into your clan that the ancestors actually bless you.) The biggest limitation is that you are forbidden to murder (so you can't personally do the assassin jobs) but you get 1/day abilities to exercise a spirit, heal damage, and do bonus damage to "evil creatures." You also get bonus to your social interaction with Kami.

If you're interested I can paste the other details.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:16 pm Here's some other options to consider (that are totally extra)...

Being Female:
A special word needs to be said about the female Ninja, or
"kunoichi." Besides training in the same secret Skills as male Ninja,
the Kunoichi learned to use her gender as a weapon in her role as spy
or assassin. While usually employed as an intelligence gatherer or to
infiltrate a site preparatory to opening its defenses to a Ninja assault
force, the Kunoichi could be as deadly as any of her Caste at need.
As a female, you add bonus skill bugei of Naginatajutsu, Tantojutsu, or Shurikenjutsu. As Ninja you have the latter two, but you do get the glaive-like polearm as an option.

Being Pious
There's also a special option for PCs who are especially religiously faithful (without actually taking the Gakusho cleric class). You pick whether you are a faithful Buddhist or Shinto.

...this could be interesting option if a character were Shinto and pious to the Ancestor kami of the Kumo clan. (You are SO into your clan that the ancestors actually bless you.) The biggest limitation is that you are forbidden to murder (so you can't personally do the assassin jobs) but you get 1/day abilities to exercise a spirit, heal damage, and do bonus damage to "evil creatures." You also get bonus to your social interaction with Kami.

If you're interested I can paste the other details.
Hmm, I might consider this.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Marullus »

First! Jemmus, this post is amazing! Thanks for writing that!

Everyone needs to go look at that post and portion up which roles your character is hoping to fill. This is great fpr differentiating in the team.
jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:48 pm Gimmicks -
2D5 + Rank Factor of Task Points to acquire Gimmicks.
The Rank Factor (Abbreviated as RF) is 3 if High,2 if Middle, and 1 if Low.

The PCs are High rank, so they get 2d5+3 in Task Points to buy gimmicks from the clan. Gimmick costs in Task value are on p. 77.
Oh! That makes more sense!

Everyone: ignore what I said before.

You don't "know" gimmicks, you acquire them. Your 2d5+3 roll is the number of TASK POINTS you can spend.
- So, example, each length of blowgun pipe is 3 points. You can put together up to three lengths (9pts). The range of the blowgun is determined by the number of lengths.

Also note that the Scabbard is a multifunction Gimmick all its own. Every Ninja starts with a ninjato sword and scabbard (even though itbis otherwise too expensive to buy.)

Note that there is a Gimmick for a collapsible bow. You need to buy the kyujutsu skill to shoot bows (which isn't on the Ninja list but can still be chosen as bugei).

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”