Re: IC:2 A lost love

#21 Post by Rex »

Yes, 7 is what I come up with.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Leitz »

Okay, cool. I'll write him up later today, but Farid knows a good bit about him. Of course, that may mean he knows a good bit about Farid. :shock:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Fair enough.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Leitz »

Only Farid has the information on Ilyas bin Salih

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Farid

Farid passes the following on to the others (including the woman and boy).
Leitz wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:22 pm Ilyas bin Salih

Tall, blue eyed, and fair skinned, Ilyas bin Salih is the Ottoman name taken by a Rus in the employ of Turhan Hatice Sultan. While he has rank, he is not military. Instead, he acts as a spy for Turhan Sultan, giving her information and resolving problems she doesn't need to know about. He is known as a swordsman, preferring a konchar. Due to his physical appearance, and fluency in several European languages, Ilyas often travels either as an Ottoman of status or a Rus noble. It is rumored that he instigated at least two massacres of non-compliant villages near Mount Lebanon.

"A very bad mad, this is not good."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Leitz »

Despite the language barrier, Farid is able to question well and Diego is able to answer enough. The identity of at least one of the malefactors is established. Ilyas bin Salih hasn't been seen in this village for several months, except in passing by. He is not welcome, and Madame Laverne does not let her girls go to the castle anymore. There are other villages in the local area, however.

Farid is confident that bin Salih would not be serving anyone else locally. He is too egotistical, and too well connected in the Ottoman court, to be someone else's lackey. Whatever brings him here does to bode well for someone. Given the conflicts between the Ottoman and various European political empires, "someone" could even be an entire region.

The PCs are well aware of the Ottoman expansion into Europe, to include controlling parts of Hungary, designs on Transylvania, and Ottoman control of Wallachia. The Ottoman Empire isn't presented here as the "evil" to the European "good", for there are many good things about the Ottoman culture. However, no culture is perfect, and Ilyas bin Salih represents the dark side of political machinations.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

Diego added, "However, I do know a couple of ways up to the castle, if you like. One is particularly suited for not being seen, until you are close. I think even your horses could make it, if you like."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by shaidar »

Louis nods at Diego

"We should reconnoitre those paths, find out their suitability. They may be the best route there, ootherwise we will be climbing or caving to get inside. Do you know where the caves go, do they actually go into the castle or just nearby?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Farid

"I would suggest we reconnoiter on foot. The horses will leave more sign we were there and at least for now we should keep knowledge that we know that route secret."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Chaplain Kurstnen dug through a pile of paper, and pulled out a small stack. "I believe my grandfather used a cave to get into the castle, these are the maps of the caves that he left."

Normally, this would be a roll to find the right data. However, everyone has Notice at 2 or greater, and multiple Lore skills. This group is well suited for some things. :)

Study of the maps yields one that shows an extensive cave system that does connect to the castle's cistern. Diego knows the cave, but hadn't gone in that deep. "It is treacherous going; lots of mud and climbing."

"That will not be an issue," Kurstnen said. She moved a rug, and levered up a large floor board, Underneath was a store of lanterns, oil, and rope. Everything needed for a spelunking holiday.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by jemmus »

Kerecsen says in Latin, Yes, friend Louis, I agree that stealth is probably the only option. And we should thoroughly review our host's grandfather's notes. It seems that we have time on our side, for once. The crisis happened in the past, and it seems that the situation has not changed and is not worsening.

Do we get any additional useful information from the grandfather's writings?
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Farid

"Yes, going through his notes seems prudent."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

The map shows a slight swim. Someone needs to roll Craft vs a 2. Multiple people can roll, and as long as someone makes it, the lanterns and your guns will be protected.

The group studied maps and documents for a long while, and then broke up to care for the horses and rest.

Before retiring for the evening, Kurstnen pulled Diego aside, and opened a large trunk. She spoke in Italian, and said, "If I am to have a champion then he should be armed, and dressed accordingly. My grandfather would be proud if you would wear them." Soon the young man is dressed in German style, armed, and has boots on his feet. The clothes are a bit large, but you can tell that he is humbled to wear them.

Early morning brought a light, damp rain. The trip down the mountain was slippery, but uneventful. The dreariness helped cover the groups movement across the valley floor, and then you were under tree cover again. Half an hour of walking up hill, another half hour of searching, and the entrance to the cave was found.

The cave is cold damp and filthy muddy, but with the lanterns, rope, and careful checking of the map, you arrive at a small underground pond. According to the map, there is a short tunnel on the north side, and then you are in the castle's cistern.

Everyone needs to roll Atheltics 2, unless you think of something else for the swim. A Succeed with Style will allow you to help someone else.

This is for whomever goes first
There are two women in the cistern, filling pots. Their clothes are old and ragged, and they show marks of physical abuse. They are spooked by your appearance, and will likely run upstairs screaming unless you do something.

What do you do?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by shaidar »

Louis

That evening Louis offers to practice sword play with Diego. (For three reasons, the first to give him some practice, the second to get a feel for his style and third so Diego can get a little use to his flamboyant style).

Craft
Base roll: [_4d6]=(5+4+4+2)=15 = 0
Use free boost to add +2, for a 2,a pass.

Do you mean an Athletics roll? I don't see agility on the skills list
Last edited by shaidar on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Farid

Swimming is specifically listed under the examples of use for the Athletics Skill. So going with that.

Athletics +1 [_4d6]=(2+5+5+4)=16
-1, +1, +1, 0 = 1 +1 = 2

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:35 pm Do you mean an Athletics roll? I don't see agility on the skills list
Errr....yeah, that's the ticket!

Diego is certainly not the swordsman Louis is, but he has had some training (Fight +1). Like a few Italian bladesmen Louis has seen, Diego fights left-handed. However, it seems okay with both hands. His style seems more towards "get in close and stay there", and he uses his gloved off-hand for parries and such.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by shaidar »

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by jemmus »

Revised post. Due to poor reading skills and a mistake about the setting. :) And sorry about the slow posting this week.

At Farid's comment about the man called Ilyas bin Salih, Kerecsen says (in Latin), Hmm. Another blackguard. They're always plentiful. They outnumber honest men the way farmyard hens outnumber the rooster. He's somewhat appalled at the suggestion of leaving the horses behind. Farid, my friend, I don't have the sea legs of a sailor, but my boots are much better in stirrups than on the ground. If no one objects, I'll ride, then join on foot when the time is right. And besides, at some point we may have need of a fast horse and wide-ranging mobility. But all of the League members know that the cavalryman just can't stand to leave his mount behind and have it far out of sight for long.

The rider and his dark horse range ahead of the travelers. They lope to the side of the pathway, scanning for danger or things of possible interest. And then to the other side of the route, doing the same. In this way they reach the cave. Kerecsen dismounts, wraps the horse's reins around a tree trunk. But doesn't tie them, so the horse can flee if he has to-- or he doesn't return. He pats the horse's neck. Patience, Ördög. As always. He joins his League comrades when they arrive.

My friends, if it won't offend you, I'll go ahead a few paces as we proceed and scout. And quickly dash back should I spot trouble! He chuckles. Not from cowardice, mind you. But from practicing the role of a scout.

He encounters poor, seemingly abused women. As they start, he says, My ladies, please don't be alarmed. We have not come to harm you. We are hear to help.

RPed Kerecsen's tendency to go ahead of the group and scout. Which means that he would be the first to encounter the women.
Athletics +0 [1d6]=5[1d6]=2[1d6]=2[1d6]=4 Net score -1. I think I can use a boost to go to 1 and succeed at swimming? Or if not, use a fate point as well?
Last edited by jemmus on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
PCs

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:17 am Athletics +0 [1d6]=5[1d6]=2[1d6]=2[1d6]=4 Net score -1. I think I can use a boost to go to 1 and succeed at swimming? Or if not, use a fate point as well?
A Boost, or a Fate Point, would only bring you up to 1, and still one short. If you fail, you need to make a Physique vs 2 roll to claw yourself back to the cave. I will point out that Louis rolled a 4, if you can talk him into spending a Fate Point (or a Boost, if he has it), then he can pull Kerecsen into the cistern. Of course, that means that the two of you will be "first" in the cistern, and someone needs to roll vs a 4 to keep the women from freaking out and sounding the alarm. Figure out what you could use to influence them, and roll.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, I should let Farid go first, but don't want to retcon again. We know the women are there now, so it would be meta for Kerecsen to let Farid go first. Next time we'll do it that way.

Physique +1 Physique +1 [1d6]=4[1d6]=6[1d6]=3[1d6]=5 +1 + 1+2+1+2 = 6 Succeeds with Style this time.

Rapport +1 Rapport+1 [1d6]=3[1d6]=6[1d6]=4[1d6]=2 +1 + 1+2+1-1 = 4 Succeeds with Style.
PCs

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”