In Game OOC

Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

In Game OOC

#1 Post by Leitz »

This is where the players can discuss in game ideas, possible collaborations, or "Can my character...?" questions.

The truth is, the more you all discuss, and the less I direct, the more chance we have of making an awesome game experience.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: In Game OOC

#2 Post by Leitz »

Please welcome shaidar to our troupe! That brings us up to five, and I think the villans will be hard pressed to win this one.

shaidar, go ahead and do your character drafting and such in the Chargen section of the ScenSim Fate forum, and then post the final here. Some of your co-players are really good at Fate, and can probably offer awesome advice.

Everyone else, as you see the troupe develop, go ahead and make any modifications you like. You can keep the three unnamed aspects empty even after we start, and add them as you choose. This is an event bound game, we're going to work through the ScenSim encounters and then wrap up. Each encounter will be a minor milestone, so you'll get Refresh and healing between each one.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Leitz,

Just checking you're not waiting for us to roll some dice for the riding, or something.

:)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:52 pm Just checking you're not waiting for us to roll some dice for the riding, or something.
Nope, you all are good. We have one more player finalizing his PC, and I'd like to have everyone engaged by the Sunday PM DM Action post. That one will give you options to get hero-y, and deal with issues. 8-)

Thank you all for not making fun of my lack of artistic talent. The next post will be verbal description and some options. Keep in mind that the options are optional, feel free to come up with something totally different.

My DM style is simple, I create a scene, and then figure out at least one way to be successful in that scene. While players tend to come up with much better ways, I just like to prove to myself that it is possible.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

8-)

Sorry, I forgot your Sunday posting date. Looking forward to more PCs.

As for artistic talent, as I have none either, I wouldn't mention it. My map would probably be worse, and I think yours is good, it conveys the information we need. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I have zero artistic ability in any medium. Including writing. You are doing a fine job Leitz. My DM posts in my game tend to be a couple of sentences, LOL.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Here's the list of ScenSim encounters I'm targeting for this game.

Character Generation [done]
A social/rp challenge (negotiate, persuade, intimidate, or deceive a group of NPCs)
Combat, group
Combat, big bad
Puzzle/Trap/Environmental challenge (any sort of open-ended creative problem-solving obstacle)
Character Progression/Leveling Up [after village scene]
Investigation challenge (hidden door, hidden objects, clues, etc.)
Movement challenge (stealth, chase and pursuit, etc.)
Rest and recuperation [after village scene]
A highlighted rule that is specific to this RPG [since the first post!]

Now it's time to knock out a few more. How you handle the village issue is up to you. Just look at this list, look at your characters, and see if they give you ideas.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Leitz »

Turn order
Turn order is based on Notice skill for physical actions, with secondary skills resolving ties. For mental conflicts, it is Empathy. In this case, since everyone is riding, the secondary skill will be Drive/Ride.

Turn order (Village Scene)
Bastiano
Kerecsen
Louis
Farid

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

The Village area, ignoring the modern construction. The game village is set right about where via Cesare Battisti crosses the Sarca.

If you zoom out a bit, you can get an idea of the general mountainous geography, in case it becomes useful later. 8-)

In modern times, Lago di Garda is a resort spot for a lot of Europeans. On the south end of it, in Sirmione, there's a cool Roman villa ruin. Pretty big house.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

I have updated the turn order: Bastiano, Kerecsen, Louis, and then Farid. In this first action, the villagers will not go, since they are focused on the fire.

What you do is up to you, but here are some guidelines.

There are three potential opponents; the cleric, the fake landschnekts, and the villagers.

Interact with any one of them, or do something totally different.
If you wish to chat with anyone, roll Rapport versus a Great (+4) resistance, since everyone is focused on the fire.
- Scene Aspect: Tough crowd

You rightly guess the German cursing coming from the chapel is the German Chaplain, barred inside.
Normally movement is in zones, and limited unless you roll. However, your horses are good, and you can get to anywhere in this scene as a part of your action, and still act (draw weapon and attack, dismount, whatever) as an individual.
- Scene Aspect: Excellent mounts

Getting to the chapel this action requires a Riding (if mounted) or Athletics (if dismounted) vs a +0 to not get burns or smoke. At the end of this action, and all following, the risk level goes up +1.
- Scene Aspect: Bonfires and s'mores

Crashing a door or window is an option. A shutter requires Physique vs +2, a door is Physique vs +6. With the door, you can get one horse (if pass Riding vs +2) or three dismounted people. If you do the latter, have the strongest (Physique) roll, and each other person adds +1 on a successful Physique, or +2 if Succeed with Style.
- Keep in mind that trying to Physique a door means you move to it and dismount, or move to it and use a rope while mounted, being your action. Solving the problem, at best, would be next action.
- Scene Aspect: Knocking on Heaven's door

The first action will be free-form, say what you're going to do, make the rolls, and decide if you're going to spend Fate points, or whatever, If you have a free Aspect or Stunt slot, and you want to use it, feel free.
- None of the three groups will respond to you in the first action. After that, though...

Note that you DO NOT spend Fate points until AFTER you roll. You decide how that part of the story goes, and we talk it out. Especially if you don't quite make the grade. :SAN:

Also note that I've been very up front about my lack of Fate expertise. I'm hoping to give you a fun game, but I need you to call out if I miss something, or don't give enough variety and options.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Do we wait until those before us post there action before stating our own, as this may impact what we do. For example, Louis is likely to dismount and try and gain entry to save the priest.

(he is a Huguenot, a group of french protestants that have been prosecuted by the french government and the RC church in this era)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

I thought about that last night, and haven't come up with a great solution. Here are a few thoughts, please improve them.

0. Since we have a fixed schedule (Sunday and Wednesday evenings), please give higher init PCs a day to post, and then move forward.

1. Talking is a free action, so saying what you're going to do, in Latin, will keep you at least heading in the right direction. Most NPCs don't speak Latin commonly, so it also acts as a code.

2. Post your intentions and make your rolls. A player whose PC has a higher init can either preempt your action, support it, or do something else that does not alter the game flow.
2.1. If the choice it to preempt, please discuss it OOC or in PM, and come up with a solution. In disagreements, the higher Init PC wins, but we can hopefully build this together.

3. If your PC's actions are preempted, you may decide on another course of action and make another set of rolls.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sounds good. As a general alert: I will only rarely be able to respond to the Wednesday post before Friday, so I'm glad I won't be holding the team up!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:22 pm Notice +3: Fate Dice: [_4d6]=(6+5+6+5)=22
Is that a result of 7? Oh, dang! With a roll like that, I should have done something much more daring!
Yup, starting the game off with a bang! The good news is that we, and that's all of us, get to toss in ideas of how that high roll could be rewarded. If you roll three or more over the required roll, you "Succeed with Style" and get extra benefits.

Everyone, toss out some ideas!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

So, could it be something like he notices an area of the Chapel that has so far been relatively untouched by fire and so a safer entry point?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:26 pm So, could it be something like he notices an area of the Chapel that has so far been relatively untouched by fire and so a safer entry point?
A good option, since they are throwing oil, and perhaps the upper frontage or roof hasn't caught afire yet? Remember, the chaplain lives in the attic, and there are likely shuttered windows since Italy gets hot in the summer.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

All sounds good to me. I will also add that Farid is a minority religion (Druze) that has been/is being persecuted and likely to behave similarly (all be it Muslim's not Christians). Since I go last I will hold off a little longer.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Pulpatoon »

Leitz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:41 pm Everyone, toss out some ideas!
I'd be happy if this resulted in some solid insight into what's going on. Perhaps his painter's eye is picking up subtle details of body language and so on that gives him a more complete picture of unspoken motivations?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Leitz »

Leitz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:36 pm
shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:26 pm So, could it be something like he notices an area of the Chapel that has so far been relatively untouched by fire and so a safer entry point?
A good option, since they are throwing oil, and perhaps the upper frontage or roof hasn't caught afire yet? Remember, the chaplain lives in the attic, and there are likely shuttered windows since Italy gets hot in the summer.
In retrospect, this is obvious to all PCs, without a roll. What you do with it is up to you.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Leitz »

We have actions from two PCs, how about the rest? DM action post coming in about twelve hours, unless you all feel this isn't a workable schedule.

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”