Intermediate Dungeon Training

OGRE MAGE
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intermediate Dungeon Training

#161 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther steps back from the doors when Amun springs the trap. He flicks an eyestalk toward Chauncey as the Adequate Wizard slides down the pole. Dammit, Chauncey!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by sastaz »

Amun seems genuinely shocked by what she has just witnessed.

"That man is either very brave or a fool. Or both! How did he live to become the most powerful wizard of the island like that?" She stands silent for a moment. "Truly death defying, even by my standards. Well, shall we follow him?"

She looks at the others?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes looks at Chauncey disappearing."Simple," he tells Amun. "His behavior is so baffling it's confused the heck out of everything that's tried to eat him".

Wes grabs hold of the pole. "Why not?" He starts his descent.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm shrugs and also joins the magician and the druid in the descent.

Elnaerel follows. "This is weird. Always deeper into this... tomb."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther waits until last, then follows the rest, scrambling at the pole with his claws.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Was I wrong in thinking you had this figured out? :lol:

Dungeon Training
Lower Treasure Room?

The huge bat suddenly released into the room flits directly at Wes and Grimm when they try to grab the pole next. It tries to bite at the druid, but misses the mark and flies back around for a second try.

The others look ready to ignore the threat and join the mage below when they suddenly hear the obvious ramblings of Chauncey speaking to someone else that you can’t see from above the hole in the floor.

Actions?

Still perfectly acceptable to me if you simply ignore the bat and slide down the pole. I just wanted to give you the option first.

Amun (F3) AC:2 17/33
Crabbe Luther AC:4 15/30
Chauncey (MU5) AC:3 30/30 RM, CL, DM 1/4 1st 1/2 2nd 1/1 3rd
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 19/30 0/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 5/6 1st 3/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern
Grimm AC:5 20/20

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Urson »

Luther
Unsure of how he didn't notice the bat before, Luther snaps his claws at it.
[1d20+1]=20+1=21
[1d20+1]=6+1=7

[1d4+1]=3+1=4

More by good luck than anything else, he manages to connect.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes is startled to see the bat coming back around at him. He'd assumed it had flown on out of the door. Quickly, (in fact too quickly) he launches two of Obad-Hai's phantasmal hawks.

Hunter's Hawk (THACO 18) [1d20]=6; Dmg: [1d4]=2 [1d20]=11; Dmg: [1d4]=2

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by sastaz »

I think we didn't see it because it flew out of the hole that just opened?

Amun is relieved to finally have something tangible to hit after all of these mind boggling riddles.

2H sword, to hit: [1d20+3]=16+3=19, damage: [1d10+3]=1+3=4 (SM), [3d6+3]=12+3=15 (L)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm will give it himself a try.

Long Sword - To hit: [1d20]=14; Dmg: S/M [1d8]=3 L [1d12]=5

Elnaerel gets her morningstar ready, but being far from the action, given that there's no room for eveyrone where it's taking place, she stays put.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#171 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training
Lower Treasure Room?

The group decides to tackle the bat problem before heading down below to check on their excited mage, all but Elnaerel getting in on the action. Wes conjures his phantasmal hawks While Amun and Grimm nearly chop the pest up into smaller pieces. Luther actually catches the badly injured bat in on of his massive claws, chopping it into two separate pieces that land harmlessly to the floor.

Elnaerel continues to hear the voice of Chauncey below. At first, the conversation seems fine, but then she notices a sudden distress in the voice of the mage. He doesn’t call up for help, but something is clearly going on down there that you are unable to see from above.

Actions?

Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 4/6 1st 3/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Karaunios »

Sorry, I was still imagining that the action was taking in the corridor below? Because of it I didn't have Elnaerel join the action, thinking that the place was too narrow.

Elnaerel "Something's not right down there. Can't you hear chauncey?" She tries to discern something with her elvish vision.

"I can't cast any light spell for the remaining of the day... Maybe we can lower a glowing object that would give us any idea of what's going on down there?"

Grimm, cleaning his sword after the bat fight. "Well, that one's done for. Hopefully there's no more." He mutters to himself.

Then he gets the spear back. "That's a good idea... I'm not going down there without knowing what's happening."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Urson »

Luther
As stated before, Luther will wait until last to go down the pole. While he waits, he nibbles on dead bat.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by sastaz »

Amun is not quite done with the "three doors down" room yet. When she sees that others are trying to connect with Chauncey, she fist studies that bat and checks if it goes up in smoke like the last beast. Then she wants to trigger the other door traps - if she can get the others to watch out for the spears. She will also check if the already triggered door reloads somehow and shoots again. If the doors stop shooting after one salve each, she will try to open the doors, although she expects them to be dummy ones.

"Stupid trap room, containing nothing?!"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes' eyes widen when he sees Amun playing with the trap again. He grabs onto the pole once more and casts a prayer out to Obad Hai. Shalm, once again your foolish servant is acting like the prey instead of the hunter. But sometimes the needs of the pack come first, and truth be told, he glances at Luther then down into the pit, there aren't many of this pack left. Can't afford to lose another.

He takes a deep breath and slides down the pole.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#176 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training
Lower Treasure Room?

Amun looks over the bat that Luther decides to taste, watching as this monster, like the last, also vanishes from existence, as if it were never there. With light in this room, Elnaerel sees no heat sources below with her elven sight.

Messing around in the trap room, the warrior Amun finds exactly what she expects, more traps. Her actions make the powerful druid nervous, causing him to slide down into the dark room below.

He sees, standing at the edge of an obvious magical darkness, Chauncey spinning around to greet his old friend. “Well, if it isn’t Waesfaren my good man! Do come inside and see what I’ve found! It seems my theory was at least partially accurate! Say hello to an old friend, man!”

Squinting against the darkness, Wes thinks he sees the figure of Darklin standing there, but only for a fleeting moment, before he is gone again. Surrounded by darkness, the rest of the room is impossible to make out.

Actions?

Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 4/6 1st 3/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Karaunios »

Both Elnaerel and Grimm come down.

Elnaerel "Wes, I'm sure you can dispel this darkness with your druidic powers? I can't inoke any light source today, but maybe you can?"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by sastaz »

Amun catches parts of the conversation from below and runs to the hole shouting:

"An old friend? Is The Knife down there? I knew he would come back!"

Even louder.

"KNIFE! IS THAT YOU?!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther looks as skeptical as he can. Somethin wrong, I think. Chauncey, get away from that!

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes shakes his head at Elnaerel's suggestion. Obad Hai has not blessed him with the magic to create light. He suspected only The Shalm's most powerful magic would dispel this darkness and Wes wanted to keep that in reserve for now.

Still, slightly puzzled at Darklin's sudden appearance, he called out to him in Elven: "Darklin! Is that you? Are the others with you?".

Upon hearing Luther's warning, he takes a few steps back and calls to Elnaerel, again in Elven: "Can you throw us a rope? It will be easier than climbing that pole".

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”