Intermediate Dungeon Training

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Intermediate Dungeon Training

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training?

Wes inserts his green stone sphere into one of the two indentations in the door in front of he, Yrias, and the rest of Chauncey's group. Nothing happens.

When Yrias steps up with a second identical green stone sphere, he too inserts it into the remaining indentation. This time..........nothing happens.

Amun stays back to chat with the three headed giant, ugly Jon head replying to her kindness. "Ye could always stay behind ta keeps us company, if ye like."

Actions?

Chauncey (MU4) AC:3 26/26 RM, CL, DM 3/3 1st 2/2 2nd
Amun (F3) AC:2 33/33
Grimm AC:5 20/20
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 30/30 5/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Crabbe Luther AC:4 30/30
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 5/6 1st 5/5 2nd 3/3 3rd 1/1 4th

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intermediate Dungeon Training

#2 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“Well, in the absence of some spontaneously generating orb key making a sudden appearance, it seems we should for the time being simply accompany one of the other groups,” says Chauncey. “Unless someone has a better plan… do you suppose it matters which orb is used? Perhaps we could borrow one of the others for a moment. I saw a nice blue one before…”

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"They're both green", Wes says. "There's a chance that's the problem."

"Does anyone want to trade a green orb?"
he calls out, holding his up.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sastaz »

Amun shrugs.

"As I said, I don't have any orbs. But yes, we could ask the other groups if we have nothing more perhaps."

She turns to Giant Head Jon again.

"Thanks for the kind offer, but I must accompany my friends at this time. Do you by the way know why our green orbs are not working with this door? The green one worked with the other door." She points at the Activation Station door opening.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther has been quiet, letting the smart folks deal with the doors. 'Cuse me, maybe itz stuck. He moves up to the door and gives it a solid shove.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I know that Wake mentioned having three different colored orbs. I'll go after him and see if he wants to switch."

Keeping a wary eye on the giant, Wes goes over to the furthest entrance to call after Wake.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"Okay. Let's see if any of the others has any orbs. Maybe it's a combination of different colors.

I don't have any, by the way."
He crosses his arms on his chest.

Elnaerel

"I hope we can find our way forward... This place is strange."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hopefully this will help with all the private message ideas......

Dungeon Training?

The huge crabman Luther pushes upon the solid door, unable to budge the stone portal in the least.

A conversation about colors ends with the group attempting a trade with the other group headed to the Activation Station below.

The giant spins around so Toni head can address Amun's question. "Tell ya what.......since ya was nice ta us, we'll gives ya a little hint. We aint sposed ta, but.....ya needs green an white, right."

Actions?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Luther
Seeing that his idea is wrong, Luther steps away from the door. He looks up at the giant, his eyestalks and mouthparts moving slightly, possibly in surprise.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Didn't the strange grey man, Andron, have a white orb?" says Chauncey. "So many orbs, it's hard to keep track..."

He makes his way out and one door down to the "Tavern" entrance. Poking his head inside, he shouts: "Excuse me? In the spirit of progress, we are in need of the temporary use of your white orb... Hello?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There are no longer any members of the Tavern party left inside the central hallway, and there is no response to Chauncey's inquiry.

Also...Andron doesn't have a white sphere.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sastaz »

Amun grows a bit impatient.

"Okay, so we have to go back then, for a white orb? What is the significance of green and white? Are they something like activation stones on each side of some building in that map you drew before? Or just two random colors someone felt looked nice?"

by the way, I didn't manage to find that map showing our activated stations/stones

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training?

With the help of Wake, the white stone is procured. Once both the green and the white spheres are placed into the indentations, the door dissipates similar to the one on the opposite end of the room. I will assume the stone is returned to Wake, as he was clearly unwilling to make a trade.

The room beyond the doorway is quite large, and magically lit from above. There are 6 decretive stone pillars that reach up 40 feet to meet an ornamentally vaulted and buttressed shadowy ceiling that stretches all the way across the tiled floor. A single plain wooden door can be seen across this otherwise empty room.

Actions?

A marching order might be a good idea here.

DD2F1E56-3887-4619-90EE-A3722B4214EF.jpeg
DD2F1E56-3887-4619-90EE-A3722B4214EF.jpeg (80.04 KiB) Viewed 3116 times

sastaz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:20 pm by the way, I didn't manage to find that map showing our activated stations/stones
I am not sure what this means. Are you asking about the obelisk diagram?

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sastaz »

Amun takes a good look around, down and up.

"Wow. This seems fishy. It's really beautiful though, I've never seen anything like this. Not even in the master's temple."

She takes one more look around before

"Well, no use standing around here right, let's take a look."

She takes one step forward onto the first floor tile to see if anything happens, ready to dive back when the blade springs from the wall... and by that taking first place in the marching order, if no one disagrees.
sastaz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:20 pm by the way, I didn't manage to find that map showing our activated stations/stones
I am not sure what this means. Are you asking about the obelisk diagram?
Yes, exactly, the circle with the activation stations and obelisks (?) I had some idea that the order of the colors of the obelisks somehow corresponded to the colors of the gems we had to insert in the door in order to get access

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther follows Amun, moving to stand to her left. His eyes flick around the room, looking for danger- and his claws are held at the ready.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Jernau35 »

Is it this one? It's on page 3 of the "What's so fun about this?" thread

viewtopic.php?p=636915#p636915

Wes

"Thank you Wake. The blessing of Obad Hai is upon you. May your hunt be bountiful!"

Wes turns and peers through the doorway. "Carved stone has its place. But it can never be as beautiful as a tree." He points up at the ceiling. "All those shadows up there. A perfect place for a predator to hide. Do we have a way to light them up?"

"I'll take the place second from the rear",
he says when the subject of the marching order comes up.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey will wisely let others precede him into the pillared room, taking a position in the middle. He will not, however, walk down the center, but will move to the left of the pillars on the left side.

"Careful. I surmise that since this purports to be a "Dungeon Training" course, we are likely to encounter all manner of standard dungeon fare: pit traps, trip wires, hidden apertures, living statues, poison gas, elaborate tapestries, illogical ecologies, door puzzles, concealed jewels, teleportation circles, camouflaged aberrations, non-camouflaged aberrations and candelabras that are in reality levers that open false walls... to name but a few. In short, watch out for pits," he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dungeon Training

Amun and Luther move inside while Wes watches from the doorway. The druid thinks he spots movement in the shadows above, but cant be certain as it doesn't happen a second time.

Chauncey walks inside the room without issue as well, staying out of the main path to the door across the room.

A warning about pits is given, among several other things that could go very wrong.

Actions?
14063C25-9923-42DF-816A-C38945A58AFB.jpeg
14063C25-9923-42DF-816A-C38945A58AFB.jpeg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 3077 times

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther begins a slow clockwise circuit of the room, searching the floor and walls for any sort of surprise. He stays outside the columns.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes tops up his bullseye lantern with a pint of oil, lights it and begins to scan the ceiling above him. If things look clear, he'll start to follow Chauncey and Andron, scanning as he goes.

Pg 102 of the PHB says a bullseye lantern has a radius of 80', but only 10' wide. It should easily reach the ceiling and sweep a decent amount of it at an angle.

1 oil flask removed from sheet.

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”