Activation Station II, The Cold Basement

OGRE MAGE
kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Activation Station II, The Cold Basement

#401 Post by kruk »

Cresty

You will need my sword to see this through. I will go as well.

Lerrick

I have a glow stone to provide light

Both the cleric and the fighter prepare themselves to depart with the others.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan watches the others gather for entering the blackness and debating what to do. "What's it like in there..?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag

"I am knackered. An' I fink dat it is a bleedin' pointless fing to do", says Maag bluntly. "I am stayin' 'ere".

Wes

Wes grimaces as Amun warns again of the danger. "Amun's right. She went into the darkness a short distance, but the only reason she made it out was because we tied a rope around her before she entered." He explains what happened back in the room with the pole.

"I think one or two volunteers should try the same method before eveeryone rushes in".
OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:52 pm Dungeon Training
Fake Treasure Room

The brave fighter experiences a pain she has never felt before as soon as she enters the void, nearly bringing her to her knees within the first step or two. Her senses are instantly assailed, leaving her only a moment to realize that this area of the room doesn't look natural. A brief glimpse of the wall beyond the darkness gives the impression that this area has been battered and collapsed, now standing in complete ruin. That is the only feature she has time to make out.

Before any further investigations can be made, the intense pain wracking her body becomes too much to handle, causing her to stumble and fall. 6 dam The evil sensations penetrating this void nearly results in a complete blackout, causing the others to quickly pull the fallen woman back out from the ominous void.

Though she doesn't look to have any new physical injuries on her, it becomes very clear to the others that humanoids don't do well in the area beyond the black. There is no sign of Chauncey or Darklin in the room or inside the darkness. There is no answer if either are called.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"... we are in the darkness now." He states, a bit perplexed.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"I thought so as well. Perhaps protection from evil would help in the area of darkness that you are explaining?"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by sastaz »

Quonundrum wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:17 pm Aliendron

"... we are in the darkness now." He states, a bit perplexed.
Amun looks perplexed as well.

"What do you mean? We would not be standing up if we were in that darkness."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#407 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

I'd say best listen to our friend Amun. If she says its a dangerous thing, it is, she not soft of heart.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"Sorry, it sounded like we were conflating this darkness with the black voids. As I understand it, you entered a void set into the wall? Downstairs is another, set into the floor? I have no intentions of entering one, but I do intend to investigate the basement. We must recover the mega gem of fire and I suspect that the golden man may know, or is responsible for, what happened to Chauncey."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#409 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Consequences
Midday, Dark
Almost Total Darkness

After an extended conversation about their next steps, the only clear conclusion is that the dangerous darkness is growing in size, and clearly infiltrating this room from below.

Using the trial and error method, those who wish to do so are able to move into the dark hallway leading to the basement, but by the time they reach the stairway, their light sources are stricken useless through the intensity of this anomaly. The unnatural feeling that Amun described quickly assails anyone trying to move any further into the lower level, causing them to turn and flee the area before they too are brought to their knees or worse.

While both activation spheres have already been placed in their proper sconces below, it seems obvious that any efforts to get back to the area where they found the arrogant godlike being will be impossible without some sort of protection from this spreading evil darkness.

It is suggested that the entire group could simply move into the tavern hallway to go spend some quality downtime together, but the warning that the darkness could easily envelop this entire entry room eventually, essentially blocking their only known route back to the island, gives a few members pause.

While it looks like Chauncey, Darklin, and the red Mega-Gem might be lost to them for good, it also appears that the spread of this darkness from below could be remedied from escalating further by simply closing the third magic doorway again. Mr. Wrenly hops up and down on Wes's shoulder, pointing that out by screeching loudly, all while staying as far away from the unfriendly darkness as possible.

Actions?

I know its hard keeping this many players on the same page with all the details, so if there is something you need described a little better, please just ask.

Maag AC:4 5/20
Yrias AC:5 8/8 1/3 1st RM, CL, DM 1/1 1st Light
Princess AC:6 HP 3/5
Wake (C3) AC:3 11/24 0/4 first 3/3 second Light/Torch
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 10/14 RM, CL, DM 1/4 1st 1/2 2nd
Daisy (C4) AC:8 24/28 4/5 1st 2/3 2nd
Aliendron AC10 11/17 (CL4) 1st 0/5 2nd 0/4 (MU3) RM, CL, DM, 1st 0/2 2nd 0/1 DC:6
Theo AC:5 11/13 (Sword)
Alordan AC3 16/22
Torbath (M3) AC8 16/18 RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1 (top of backpack) Comet AC:7 4/4]
Lerrick: (C5) AC:5 24/28 1st 0/5, 2nd 3/5 3rd 0/2 (Light Stone)
Cresty: (F2) AC:4 15/17
Tlachtga (D5) AC7 33/35 1st 5/6 2nd 3/5 3rd 2/3 (Light Stone)
Amun (F3) AC:2 14/33
Crabbe Luther AC:4 21/30
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 19/30 0/5 1st 4/4 2nd
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 3/6 1st 3/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th PfF:0 Bullseye Lantern (SWA:2)
Grimm AC:5 20/20

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by gurusql »

Wake

"Daisy if the plan is to retreat anyway, might it be wise to know as much about this darkness as possible. If you have a blessing remaining should we see if Protection from Evil can protect us from the horror affects of this darkness?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

"If you are going to cast something do it quickly."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"Assuming the spell works against the pervading evil, the darkness is still impenetrable to even magical light." He moves towards the central door, intending to pass through the portal into the Three Gnomes Tavern beyond. "I need to warn them ... Mr. Marlaman ... this side is now potentially extremely dangerous."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by sastaz »

gurusql wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:31 am Wake

"Daisy if the plan is to retreat anyway, might it be wise to know as much about this darkness as possible. If you have a blessing remaining should we see if Protection from Evil can protect us from the horror affects of this darkness?"
Amun, stoic as she is, shakes her head just visibly.

"I don't know. I think this darkness is too powerful for any single acolyte or apprentice to stop. We are up against a more powerful force here."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#414 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Let us close the door and see if its magic holds back this darkness. Then we can proceed back down and on our way to the next obelisk.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Karaunios »

Yrias "Yes... We should shut this place down and investigate the other obelisks. This is probably the only way for us to stop it from spreading."

No actions for Elnaerel or Grimm.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by jemmus »

Theo says, I'll try to close the door. He says a silent prayer to St. Cuthbert "I don't really know what to ask for, except please help. Also, it would be a nice bonus if it's not too painful." He runs toward the door and gives it a shove.
ST vs. ? [1d20]=16
Last edited by jemmus on Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

She too votes for exiting and trying to shut the door to the basement activation station. Maybe we need to use the spheres to lock it again.

If someone is able to test the protection from evil spell, she eagerly awaits the results.

"We need to get more information, standing in that isn't fun. We also need to see if the darkness where Chauncey vanished is also spreading."

She waits to see if anyone tests the spell, then awaits the door-closing test.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

Tlachtga is also good with the test.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by ravenn4544 »