The Lost Tavern

OGRE MAGE
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Lost Tavern

#481 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"We cannot show you ... at least not easily ... the journey would be long and dangerous. We know little about the Dark Ether, except that a very powerful wizard used it as a conduit, or wormhole, to connect multiple pairs of portals. Each portal on our world accessed via a crystal obelisk to an elemental curtain to another. The Dark Ether itself is a void of nothingness. A safe conduit where shifts in space and time can occur without consequence. Unlike the Deep Ethereal, we know of no other native or transient beings. It really is a black void."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

Responding to Amun, "No, the cold darkness is quite different; it's an area of negative energy that works in conjunction with positive energy to maintain the intricate balance of the Dark Ether. You are correct though, these areas should be avoided at all cost."
Last edited by Quonundrum on Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by sastaz »

Amun wrinkles her nose.

"No, if it's the darkness I'm talking about we can show them. I went into it myself just the other day!"

Sorry wrote at the same time.

"Oh, different darknesses. I get it. I think."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag

"Ah. So dat was der darkness in der 'ole where dat ugly flyin' lizard came from? Gotcha. I fink." Maag tries to sound as if he understands what everyone is talking about.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#485 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Listen's to the information being exchanged by Aliendron and the Gnomes.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by jemmus »

Theo listens with interest. This is starting to sound like more than a simple "find a monster and try to kill it and take its treasure" operation.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#487 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan remains quiet pretending he knows what they are talking about.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#488 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Ethereal Job

Grimble and Grumble appear absolutely fascinated as the topic turns to Dark Ether and Negative Plane Energy.

“Powerful wizards? Wormholes? Crystal obelisks? These are all things we must witness with our own eyes. Tell me how this can be accomplished!”

The gnomes look at each other for a moment, Grumbles eye twitching and head jerking to the side a few times, as if they were communicating somehow and he was having a hard time with it.

Finally Grimble speaks again, both gnomes suddenly appearing to be much more friendly and accepting. “Let’s make a deal, you and us. Once you folks help us out with our job in the floyd, and after we’ve all become filthy rich, you folks take us on this journey to see the Dark Ether. Will you do that for us?”

Actions?

Alordan AC3 22/22
Torbath (M3) AC8 18/18 RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1 (top of backpack) Comet AC:7 4/4]
Aliendron AC10 17/17 (CL4) 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 (MU3) RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 14/14 RM, CL, DM 4/4 1st 2/2 2nd
Theo AC:5 13/13 (Sword)
Amun (F3) AC:2 33/33
Magg AC4 20/20

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

"I believe that would be acceptable." He looks around at his companions to elicit their opinions. "We are planning to activate an unexplored obelisk. I think you would find the process most intriguing."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#490 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath nods in affirmative.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by jemmus »

Theo nods his assent. Though he completely doesn't understand how an obelisk relates to the floyd or dark ether.
Last edited by jemmus on Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan quips sarcastically to himself, "This can only end well...."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag

Maag shrugs. "If yer want to risk yer necks after yer 'ave become filthy rich, dat is yer own choice".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by sastaz »

Amun also nods in approval, albeit somewhat more confused than a minute ago.

"Agreed. Tell me, master gnomes. With these riches, could one of the doors here get me home? If I wanted to."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#495 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

She considers it all quietly and wonders if there is any ability to do some research on this subject here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#496 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Ethereal Job

The gnomes seem perfectly giddy about the prospect of seeing this Dark Ether for themselves, agreeing to this proposal with a firm handshake. They look to Amun when she asks. “Of course. One can travel almost anywhere from this tavern. I’m pretty sure that’s why it exists.”

Despite being ignored by every other patron around him, Grimble motions everyone in close. “So, here’s the job. We know of a certain structure that floats within the floyd, a structure that was deliberately created to look like nothing more than a floating chunk of rock. But we have reason to believe it harbors so much more. We have monitored this satellite for years, and have reason to believe its orbit coincides with this very building. I won’t bore you all with those specifics, but let’s just say we have detected magic from this floating rock that almost matches the intensity of what it took to create this place.”

“The rock will be very close to this vicinity in exactly three days. We have a means to keep us all alive and breathing safely through the floyd, so there is no reason to worry about that. Once this rock arrives, and we intercept it to begin a full investigation, we will know more about the dangers we might be up against.”

The gnomes nod their heads and smile, giving out little other details, but seemingly quite confident they are correct in their computations.

Actions?

Alordan AC3 22/22
Torbath (M3) AC8 18/18 RM, CL, DM, 1st 2/2 2nd 1/1 (top of backpack) Comet AC:7 4/4]
Magg AC4 20/20

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#497 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

"And what makes you think that there is treasure beyond imagination in this well hidden rock, Master Gnomes?"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Quonundrum »

Aliendron

He nods in understanding as Grimble relates the gnomes' observations and plans. The fact that this rock will travel very close to the Marketplace mere days after they entered the plateau was not lost on him, though. The scenario is reminiscient of their experience on the smoke world. Whether due to chance, serendipity, or calculation, who knows? He silently agreed with Torbath's question. It seems an unusual place to store vast amounts of wealth.
Last edited by Quonundrum on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#499 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

If there is magic there as great as this place, then couldn't it be another junction? Or, the seat of some powerful magic user or creature?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#500 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Ethereal Job

Grumble start to grumble again while Grimble answers.

“We don’t think it, sir. We KNOW it!”

He nods emphatically to Feanol.

“Your friend here guessed closely enough, I suppose……”
Quonundrum wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:07 pm Aliendron pauses for a moment. "Wealth beyond our wildest dreams ... are you perhaps suggesting this area you found contains lost Leomund's secret chests?"
“The floyd is used by a lot of powerful creatures, to stash all manner of things. Not just by mages either, but by devils, demons, daemons, demi-gods, you name it. Like I said, the magical emanations coming from this rock are so strong we almost couldn’t believe it ourselves.”

Grumble pipes up impatiently. “Do you want to help or not? We offer an even split of the profits. Fifty, fifty. Half for us, the other half for you. If you aren’t interested, we need to know, as we only have a few days to find another team.”

Actions?

Alordan AC3 22/22
Magg AC4 20/20

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”