Crafts (Good +3)
Deceive (Good +3)
Empathy (Average +1)
Investigate (Fair +2)
Notice (Fair +2)
Shoot (Average +1)
Stealth (Great +4)
Will (Average +1)
Changed the skill list to include Shoot, and Physique. Am I correct that you kinda have to have Physique and Will on your skill list?

Not to get ahead of myself, but I assume one of his aspects will be along the lines of "Pernicious curiosity."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CharGen (Leitz's game)

#22 Post by Rex »

Pulpatoon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:15 pm Am I correct that you kinda have to have Physique and Will on your skill list?
Even if you don't make them +1 you do have them just with no bonus. Not recommending that of course, they are important skills.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:56 pm
Pulpatoon wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:15 pm Am I correct that you kinda have to have Physique and Will on your skill list?
Even if you don't make them +1 you do have them just with no bonus. Not recommending that of course, they are important skills.
Physique is raw strength and endurance, Athletics is body movement. A higher Physique gives you an additional Physical Stress box, and a higher Will gives you an additional Mental Stress box. In Fate, skills can be used to Create an Advantage or to resist a Contest. For example, a strong willed courtier could Provoke someone, and the defense would be Will. In effect, does the defender have enough self control?

Sword play, or boxing, would be under "Fight". Remember, in this period, swords are still a primary weapon. If you want an average health guy with a basic gentleman's knowledge of the blade, change your Physique +1 to Fight +1.

Addendum If a character was, say, the target of hatred by a socially affluent and machinating family, Will might be useful to control the fear of their latest scheme for the character's downfall.

roryb
Guide
Guide

#24 Post by roryb »

That is quite a story, @Pulpatoon! I wonder how things will get muddled when our characters get involved?

As for Jean-Pierre's first adventure, I'm still thinking about it. Something to do with getting in trouble with the Church again when he discovered a plot. I'll think a bit more on it, but my story won't be nearly as colorful and flowery as the painter's. :?

roryb
Guide
Guide

#25 Post by roryb »

The Church's stance on some of the outlandish theories to spew out of Jean-Pierre's mouth has always been one of clear repudiation, even calling into question his faith. Intervention by the Church's agents has increased along with the Masseur Loreau's lectures and the formation of the new school of thinkers such that Jean-Pierre began to shine a light on the Church's schemes behind the scenes that were directly obstructing the new organization. As Loreau investigated, an attempt was made on his life...

Leaving that open for collaboration a la the phase rules. ;)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Going with Farid Hatoum for his name.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

Since we're using this thread for discussion, I set up a "Characters (Leitz's Game)" thread for the working copies. That should make it easier to find everything, and you can edit them in place.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

Sounds good. When I get a couple of minutes I will post there.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

Is anyone else having issues posting replies to any of the threads? If so, can you let an admin know?

Starting to pre-game connect the characters is a lot different than meeting in a bar fight, but should help everyone get familiar with the other characters, and build your Aspects. In truth, you don't have to pick all of your Aspects before we start, you can pick them up as we go. Your call. I'll go make some notes on Aspects, so you can see what they look like.

Addendum I've started the campaign thread conversation in the Admin Requests forum. We can work on a soft start, if you like, and move forward a little. My goal is to give the campaign setting a little flesh by next weekend, say 21 Jan 2023, with OOC and Q&A threads active early on. That way we can soft-start as soon as we have a campaign, and maybe full start first DM post the evening of 1 Feb 2023.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Sounds good.

roryb
Guide
Guide

#31 Post by roryb »

No issues here, and happy to do whatever you think is best.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by shaidar »

Hi everyone, you all looked like you were having so much with this I asked to join. I'm not stalking anyone, honest!

I'm a noob with Fate. Here are my thoughts on a character, the kernel of the idea was the musketeers.

The idealistic youngest son of a minor French noble who's family were on the loosing end of Le Fronde revolution. With the Sun King in power his family is not welcome at court, and his father has asked him not to cause any further trouble for his family with the king. So he is looking for other ways to work against the corruption that power often creates.

Idealistic French nobles son
Banished from the French Court.

Some thoughts on skills:

Shoot, fight, ride, athletics, resources, lore , stealth, will, empathy, provoke

I gratefully accept any suggestions.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard shaidar!

Looks good so far.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by shaidar »

8-)

Louis du Bois

Idealistic French nobles son
Banished from the French Court.

Skills:
(+4) fight
(+3) shoot, athletics
(+2) ride, notice, resources
(+1) lore , stealth, will, empathy

First adventure:

Louis had no idea of the name of the town, one of many he had passed through on the way to meet his friend. He has not seen Armand since Le Fronde, but he trusted him and was intrigued by this group that he had vaguely mentioned he might have an interest in. The Inn was clean and dry and the food not the worst he had eaten on the journey so far. The barmaid was attractive and he was sure she was giving him a look that meant they might have a more in depth conversation later, well he doubted there would be much conversation involved.

The only downside was the rude and objectional man a few tables over that was shovelling his food into his mouth and being exceedingly rude to the staff, who seemed afraid of him. The last straw was when the man grabbed the barmaid and tried to force a kiss on her. He stood up and walked over to the table. "Excuse me sir, it is quite clear that the woman is not interested, release her.". The man looked up, seemingly surprised that someone had spoken to him in such a manner. The man sneered at him "Do you know who I am! Go away, while you still can." and then returned to trying to kiss the girl. Louis cooly replied "I certainly know what you are not, and that is a gentleman.". He grabbed the back of the mans head and slammed his face into his plate. The man jumped up, gravy dripping from his face, his rage apparent. "I am the mayor of this town and you will regret that!", he then rushed out the door.

The barmaid stood "Sir, you should leave, quickly, the mayor is a bully and he will need to save face and get his revenge." . The manager approached quickly "I thank you for protecting my daughter, but Marie is right. He will soon return with the militia, the leader is in his pay.". Louis returned to his table "A gentleman never leaves his meal unfinished. But perhaps you can ready my horse and collect my things.". The innkeep and barmaid nodded and rushed off. After a few minutes he placed his knife and fork tidily on the plate, just in time to hear the faint sound of horses in the distance. The innkeep rushed over "Sir, hurry, the milita will be hear in a matter of moments." Louis nodded, left some money on the table, and headed to the stables. As he was riding away he realised that that was one town he could never go back to, not that that was much of a loss, except for the barmaid, Oh Well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Nicely done!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by shaidar »

Thanks. He's a bit of a walking stereotype, but he should be fun and I can give him some depth.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

Nothing wrong with walking stereotypes in an RPG and that one is a very good one. Play what you enjoy playing.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by shaidar »

:)

So, I'm still trying to pin down aspects, but I think "Sucker for a pretty face", should be one, and something about being too principled/idealistic for his own good and/or teaching bullies a lesson.

EDIT: Perhaps - "Manners Maketh man"

As for stunts, I'm thinking:
Fight - army on the edge of my blade
Notice - danger sense
Shoot - Called shot

Although I was tempted both by 'hard-core parkour' and 'we ride as one'.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

Those look good. How about one of the following:

Do Your Duty, Happen What May
One for All and All for One (sorry, couldn't help myself)
Defender of the Defenseless
Sense of Honor

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by shaidar »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm seriously thinking of going for:

- Sucker for a pretty face

- Do Your Duty, Happen What May (originally french: "Fais ce que dois, advienne que pourra", more literally "Do what you must do, let whatever will be able to come, come", so I really feel for this one).

- Sense of honour

Return to “Fate”