Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Freya's Tear

#301 Post by Marullus »

Music and Ambiance: Tyrfing

Marching Order:
Stig
Vakar (will fall back at first sign of trouble)
Valdis
Ralfwin
Ygre
Skirfir
Doshea

Almost as if answering Ralfwin's unspoken queries, Ygre explains “This room is used to keep animals that will be sacrificed. Most of them are prepared here for the sacrifices, as they must be fed and groomed well before they are offered to the Gods.”

Ralfwin enters the room, steeling his stomach against the smell. He gives the man a sip of water. He finds there is a padlock on the man's chains which will need to be opened, or the chains sundered, in order to free him. The man is limp in the cleric's arms, too weak to support himself let alone form words. Even without Vakar's medical knowledge he can discern that the man's condition is worsening by the minute and needs more than typical healing. While he does have some festering wounds, it is internal disease or poison that is ravaging him now.
Mechanically, Ralfwin believes he needs at least Lesser Restoration.
Stigandr leaves Ralfwin with the man, moving away from the noxious smell and investigating the other nearby branch. There is no noise or odor there, and the door opens easily. This room appears to be a storeroom in the temple. It is a dusty room with old, rusty, and broken items. This messy room houses a little bit of everything; chairs, rugs, buckets, broken chains, torches, and other everything objects of that sort.

Skirfir's hammer does not glow.

(I will NPC Doshea to say she takes her light with Stig.)

Enoch, Rex, Stirling, and Spearmint, when your sheet in the Rogue's Gallery is correct, please tell me what changes to make to your line below.

Actions?
Golden Halls 04.PNG
Golden Halls 04.PNG (309.71 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
EnvironmentInitiative OrderEffects in Play
Time: 5:05pm
Date: The 8th Day of Winter (Nov. 9th)
None. Doshea (20' Light)
Ralfwin (20' Light)
Valar's Lantern (30' Light)

> Enoch as Valdís | Female | Kuning | Seiꝺr (Chanter 0f Kin) (2)| HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 3/3 | Hel: 0 |
> Unsungknot as Doshea Ulfgar | Female | Mithal | Alle [Paladin] (Thor) (3) | HD (1d10): 3 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 3/3 | Hands: 15/15 | Hel: 0 |[Inspiration]
> sastaz as Vakar the Disowned | Male | Vestri | Rogue (Scout) (3) | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 28/28 | AC: 13 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | [Inspiration]
> Spearmint as 'Stig' Stigandr | Male | Mithal | Barbarian (Berzerkr) (3) | HD (1d12): 3 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 19 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | Rages 3 / 3 | [Inspiration]
> Rex as Skirfir Uvaldi | Female | Dvergr (Stoneborn)| Gothi (Smidr) (3) | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Spells - 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 2/ 2| Channel: 1/1 | Hel: 0 |
> Stirling as Ralfwin Edwinsen | Male | Mithal | Gothi (Sacrifice) (2) | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 | Current Speed: 20 | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - (C) 1st: 3/3 (B) 1st: 1/1 | Channel: 1/1 | Gjof: 0 | Hel: 1 | [Inspiration]

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by sastaz »

Vakar lowers his bow and moves slowly into the room to sit nearby Ralfwin by the chained man. His face wrinkles as he sees the condition of the prisoner.

"I might be able to free him without violence, but he does not have long. Here, let me take a look and see what I can do."

If the man is done for, is there anything that can be done to ease his pain? Vakar does have a bunch of herbs found previously in this adventure.

Medicine roll: [1d20+3]=3+3=6 LOL

"I don't think there's anything to be done for him, short of divine intervention."

Mystery roll: [1d20]=9, [1d20]=8

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Marullus »

....Vakar does indeed come to the conclusion that, despite his skill as a physician, this illness is beyond him.
If the man is done for, is there anything that can be done to ease his pain? Vakar does have a bunch of herbs found previously in this adventure.
If you want to ease his pain and let him die quickly and peacefully, you can expend herbs to do so. I won't make you roll, it will cost 25gp in herbs, same as crafting a normal healing potion. (Herbs being just tracked by value rather than 'bunches.')

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by sastaz »

Vakar looks up at the others from his hunching position next to the prisoner, waiting for their opinion.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

I can use my Spare the Dying spell to stabilise the man.

Ralfwin: mystery [1d20]=8 another mystery / perception roll [1d20]=8

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

I will return to the others.

"Nothing to see down there."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by sastaz »

Vakar

I will try another Medicine roll, this time to try to assess how much time the man has left. Are we talking minutes, hours or days? Trying to reach a decision here basically if we should leave him here to - maybe - bring him back once we've opened the sealed doors again, or if we should go for a mercy kill.

Medicine roll: [1d20+3]=13+3=16

Mystery roll: [1d20]=12, [1d20]=15

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

I chose not to appropriate the Lesser Restoration spell. In preference choosing my Domain spells that I can access as 2nd level for my daily list if memorized spells.

Ralfwin will help the man at least be free of his chains.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#309 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

I will double check the room to see if I note anything of interest or useful before returning to the others and seeing about helping with the ailing man somehow. The lack of smell is likely soothing somewhat and Doshea would want to linger just a little while to clear her senses. If he is cursed or diseased Doshea can try to heal the disease.

Mystery Roll: [1d20]=20, [1d20]=12

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Marullus »

Vakar moves to the man's side with Ralfwin, considering the man's wasting condition, fading minute by minute. His knowledge of medicine fails him as this is beyond the mortal ken. He examines the lock to free the man without violence, but the corroded workings do not give.

Ralfwin calls upon Odin to spare the dying man, but to no effect. He knows he must call on more potent magic, but is not prepared. This man's need is too urgent. Taking pity on the man's condition, he brings his mace down on the chain and lock, then again. The loud clang echoes in the room, but violence does the trick, the lock breaking and allowing the man's chains to be removed.

"Nothing to see down there." reports Stig, stepping into the doorway. Skirfir and Valdis watch from the hallway, outside the now-crowded room and still in the stagnant hallway water, Skirfir also unprepared for the specifically-needed divine power.

Looking up at Vakar with terror in his eyes as Ralfwin unwinds the chains, the Dying Man begins to choke and gasp, his skin sinking in and dessicating as the disease overcomes him at last.

Skirfir's hammer flares with light.

Down the hall, Doshea remains, more curious than Stig, and searches through the storage room. She uncovers a little bit of everything; chairs, rugs, buckets, broken chains, torches, and other everything objects of that sort, and a wooden chest. A blow from her axe opens the chest and she finds a scroll within, protected from the surrounding dampness.

Roll initiative, declare Actions!

Ralfwin and Vakar are in melee range of the body, Stig is in the door, Skirfir and Valdis are outside in the hallway, Doshea is one round's movement away.

Vakar failed his medicine roll, and then I used his mystery roll to pick the lock which also fails.

There was an opportunity to save him, before he became a monster to fight. I'm expediting a little to get us back into the action.

The Dying Man's initiative is rolled below, you can frame your actions accordingly. If you beat his initiative, he is currently prone and you have advantage on a melee attack roll or disadvantage on a ranged attack roll against him.
Time: There is no sense in this underground place.

Dying Man 10
Doshea (20' Light)
Ralfwin (20' Light)
Skirfir's Hammer (15' Light)

> Enoch as Valdís | Female | Kuning | Seiꝺr (Chanter 0f Kin) (2)| HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 3/3 | Hel: 0 | [Needs update]
> Unsungknot as Doshea Ulfgar | Female | Mithal | Alle [Paladin] (Thor) (3) | HD (1d10): 3 | HP: 26/26 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 3/3 | Hands: 15/15 | Hel: 0 |[Inspiration]
> sastaz as Vakar the Disowned | Male | Vestri | Rogue (Scout) (3) | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 28/28 | AC: 13 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | [Inspiration]
> Spearmint as 'Stig' Stigandr | Male | Mithal | Barbarian (Berzerkr) (3) | HD (1d12): 3 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 19 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | Rages 3 / 3 | [Inspiration]
> Rex as Skirfir Uvaldi | Female | Dvergr (Stoneborn)| Gothi (Smidr) (3) | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Spells - 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 2/ 2| Channel: 1/1 | Hel: 0 |
> Stirling as Ralfwin Edwinsen | Male | Mithal | Gothi (Sacrifice) 3 | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 | Current Speed: 20 | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - (C) 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 2/2 (B) 1st: 1/1 | Channel: 1/1 | Gjof: 0 | Hel: 1 | [Inspiration]

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"Something is coming, my hammer just lit up!"

She looks around for the threat.

Initiative [1d20+1]=10+1=11

Mystery rolls [1d20]=2 [1d20]=10

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

"The dying man is the corruptness. Possibly some necrotic curse to make him a draugr changeling once his shackles were released.

Let us offer him a final peace."

Ralfwin Edwinsen: Initiative [1d20+2]=18+2=20
Ralfwin Edwinsen: melee with mace [1d20+2]=18+2=20 [1d6]=3

""Odin! Wise and powerful ruler of Ásgarþr, god among the gods! Grant that I may be shielded from misfortune and death." he prays a litany as he crowns the man with his mace.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Stigandr: Initiative (Dex +3) [1d20+3]=14+3=17Stigandr: throws Svillander Javelin [1d20+5]=13+5=18 damage [1d10+5]=9+5=14

Seeing the man change, he will hurl a javelin at him from the doorway.

"Thor's mercy as well as Freya's." he says, impaling the guy in the torso.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Vakar, as he's a target in melee range. Skirfir and Valdis can either act at range from the hallway, or squeeze past Stig into the room.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

Skirfir squeezes into the room, "Smash him I think he is rising as undead!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Marullus »

...you need initiative, a hammer swing, and a mystery roll with that. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Rex »

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by sastaz »

Vakar managed somehow to be lulled into some false sense of security with the lack of immediate threats, and is somewhat slow at reacting.

Initiative check: [1d20+2]=7+2=9

He will draw his dagger and put it into the dying man, then disengage as a bonus option, going for the opposite wall.

Dagger attack: [1d20+4]=15+4=19 dmg: [1d4+2]=3+2=5

If he beats the dead man's initiative (unlikely), here's another roll for advantage on the attack as well as sneak attack bonus.

Dagger attack: [1d20+4]=1+4=5 dmg: [1d4+2]=2+2=4 worse roll
Sneak attack bonus dmg: [2d6]=5

Actually, I see now that the rules for sneak attack says:
You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Since Ralfwin and Skirfir both move in to attack, I guess that rules applies and he'll have his advantage and sneak attack bonus either way.

Mystery roll: [1d20]=4, [1d20]=13
Last edited by sastaz on Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#319 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

Picks up the scroll and heads back toward her group, staying alert to any noise or sight of potential foes.

Initiative: [1d20]=16+3=19
Mystery Rolls: [1d20]=19; [1d20]=4

Doshea's just all derp-da-der pickin up dusty scroll, better saunter on back to my team mates. :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Marullus »

"Something is coming, my hammer just lit up!" cries out Skirfir as he squeezes into the room, a fact then confirmed by Ralfwin who is quick to act, bringing down his mace upon the transforming cadaver. (-2) "Odin! Wise and powerful ruler of Ásgarþr, god among the gods! Grant that I may be shielded from misfortune and death."

"Thor's mercy as well as Freya's." says Stigandr, impaling the guy in the torso with a mighty throw of his javelin, (-7) just before Doshea hustles up behind him to assess the situation.

Now in the room, Skirfir's hammer flares with light and comes down in a might blow, the magic of the hammer seem to have far more significant effect on the Dying Man. (-10)

His flesh tightening visibly to a withered husk, the Dying Man clambers to his feet as he suffers the blows rained down upon him. He turns to face Stigandr as he pulls the javelin from his chest without indication of pain and lets out a raspy roar at the barbarian. (Wisdom save) Focusing then on Skirfir and his magic hammer, the creature lashes out with a rotting fist at the dwarf. The blow knocks the dwarf backwards, the rot of its touch blackening and speading on Skirfir's blue skin. (-7 bludgeoning, -16 necrotic) Skirfir goes down in a heap against the wall. (Con save.)

Finding himself next to the now-undead, Vakar stabs it with his dagger (-3), its dessicated flesh parting with no blood.

Standing behind Stig and Doshea, Valdis summons a handful of green flame, flinging it into the room at an opportune moment. The dried skin of the creature burns like thick paper. (-14)

Actions!

Stig: roll a d20 for Wisdom save.
Skirfir: roll a d20 for Con save.

Ralfwin, Vakar, and Skirfir are in melee range of the body (all now with Advantage), Stig is in the door, Valdis and Doshea are outside in the hallway.

sastaz wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:05 pm Since Ralfwin and Skirfir both move in to attack, I guess that rules applies and he'll have his advantage and sneak attack bonus either way.

So, an adjacent foe DOES allow sneak attack but does NOT give advantage. Your move to disengage and get behind it, however, is the Flanking maneuver. That gives advantage to both you and those opposite you as you surround it. So, no advantage but yes sneak attack this round, both next round. (I'll let the "Across from you" liberally apply to Skirfir and Ralfwin both.)

Stig is subject to its Dreadful Glare - Roll a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw. If you roll (modified by Wisdom) between 11 and 20, you're fine. 6 to 10, you are (disadvantage, can't enter room) until the end of its next turn. 5 or less, you're paralyzed with fear until the end of its next turn.

[url=https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php?do=showone&id=275226&macid=0]Dying Man - Rotting Fist [1d20+5]=18+5=23 Damage: [2d6+3]=3+3=6 bludgeoning [3d6]=16 necrotic

Valdis - Produce Flame [1d20+6]=16+6=22[1d8]=7 fire
Valdis - Initiative [1d20+2]=14+2=16

Skirfir is at exactly 0 hit points, so is unconscious, not dying. No death saves needed.
Time: There is no sense in this underground place.

Ralfwin 20
Doshea 19
Stigandr 17
Valdis 16
Skirfir 11
Dying Man 10
Vakar 9
Doshea (20' Light)
Ralfwin (20' Light)
Skirfir's Hammer (15' Light)

> Enoch as Valdís | Female | Kuning | Seiꝺr (Chanter 0f Kin) (2)| HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 3/3 | Hel: 0 | [Needs update]
> Rex as Skirfir Uvaldi | Female | Dvergr (Stoneborn)| Gothi (Smidr) (3) | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 0/22 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Spells - 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 2/ 2| Channel: 1/1 | Hel: 0 |
> Stirling as Ralfwin Edwinsen | Male | Mithal | Gothi (Sacrifice) 3 | HD (1d8): 3 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 | Current Speed: 20 | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - (C) 1st: 4/4, 2nd: 2/2 (B) 1st: 1/1 | Channel: 1/1 | Gjof: 0 | Hel: 1 | [Inspiration]

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”