Chapter 2: Freya's Tear

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2: Freya's Tear

#1 Post by Marullus »

Music and Ambiance: Into the Wild (from Thorath to Nystadir)
A few days rest is welcomed, the party handling task and private duties, recovering as the town mourns the dead, celebrates the return of the others, and returns to a more normal rhythm. The days continue to grow shorter one after the next, sunrise to sunset being a brief period of activity before evening conversations return to the indoors in private homes, The home of Grey-Eyed Boe for town business, and the Valley Rest Inn for you and others who need social relaxation. The old dwarf, Rudolf, has taken your dead warg to Boe's home but he returns several times to ask you more questions, getting details on what you faced, the runes upon the beasts, and what the lad in the other group said about the potential Seidr. "You have brought back a nameless horror," the old dwarf tells you. "Know this: if this is what I suspect ot to be, some will blame you for bringing a curse upon us all. Still, if I would not give those people a second thought."

On the second day you are met by the gothi, Ygre, who spoke to you before you departed. She seems tired but takes effort to be cheerful, drawing attention of the tavern intentionally to you as she speaks. "On behalf of the Council of Trinity, I congratulate you on completing your task.
You have faced battle and are worthy of the warbands, protectors of our towns in the name of Odin, Thor, and by the mercy of Freya."
She solemly produces an armband for each of you - beaten copper of simple but elegant style - the mark of the Warband of Jonnamott.
The warband of Jonnamot is known for its great trackers who hunt down the evil spawn at their lairs. The members of this warband are granted a magic bracelet called the "Armband of Jonnamot." The bracelet grants advantage on Stealth checks for one hour. Once used in this way, the wearer must finish a long rest to benefit from this feature again.
Finishing his masterpiece, Hamarrtunglskin, Skirfir is surprised to find that the hammer glows here in town, which she expected only in the presence of Hel-touched, mishappen creatures. She walks the walls that night, finding that the hammer fades away on the north side of the town beyond the private homes. It glows again at the south end, near the main gates. Using her best estimate after several circuits of the wall, she thinks that the center of the glow might be the main Village Square, or perhaps the home of Grey-Eyed Boe on its eastern edge. That is where the dead wolf was taken, after all, but the wolf should no longer have the animus to trigger this magic... the dwarf ruminates on this.

Your dinner that evening - the third day since your return - is cut short by the arrival of a young woman, Grima. She is a young Kun woman with a long blonde plait of hair down her back, her arms covered in blood most of the way up her forearms. "I was told you must come to Boe's home; Rudolf is waiting for you there," she says, tired and nervous. She waits for you to obey the summons and follow.

Following the woman, Doshea asks about the blood. "I work for a healer; I am used to it. Come - it is urgent." With all of you in tow, she offers, "I am attending Hungerd's birthing. It is unlike any even the old hearlers have seen. Difficult to bear, even for a strong woman like her."

She leads you all across the village square to the home of Grey-Eyed Boe. Two guards are waiting on either side of the large wooden door that opens up into the hall. Torches burn all the way around the building and the stables at its rear, illuminating the surrounding night. Inside, you enter the meeting hall for town's business - a large wooden chandelier hangs over a large table surrounded by sturdy chairs, a massive bearskin rug in front of a wide fireplace with the coals banked at the moment - and cross to the wooden staircase in the left corner of the room which leads to the upper floor and to the basement. The deep, loud voice of Grey-Eyed Boe can be heard from the basement, shouting, "How? How could we have not noticed!"

Grima winces and says to you, "They must be in the basement... I must go back and help them." She points you downward, then scurries ahead and up the stair.

As you decend, the awful smell of rot assails you, bile rising in your throat. It reminds you of the smell you came across in the forest. The basement is a simple, big, rectangular room, barrels, pelts, and crates pushed to the edges. A small table is pushed against the wall opposite the stairs at which Grey-Eyed Boe sits. The center of the room is covered with runes drawn in charcoal forming complex designs, lines and stars connecting them. The wolf you brought back to town lies in the center of it.

Rudolph gets out from the darkeness in the corner of the room and walks towards you. He looks and sounds both tired and depressed. "The creature you killed cannot even come close to the right sacrifice. For us, it is an abomination and it must be wiped from the face of this earth." As soon as he's done speaking, a loud croak is heard, coming from outside. Rudolph and Boe exchange looks, each more worried than the other. Rudolph turns back to you and continues, "We have some ideas about what this creature might be, but we do not want to make a hasty decision. We must..."

He is interrupted by loud noises coming from upstairs - a mixture of hurried footsteps and raised voices mixed with the quourking of a raven. Rudolph and Boe pause, listening, waiting for it to die down before they continue.

Reactions so far?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Freya's Tear

#2 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

Assuming from your description that my hammer is glowing.

"Something is very wrong here, be wary everyone."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen
"The creature you killed cannot even come close to the right sacrifice. For us, it is an abomination and it must be wiped from the face of this earth."
"What do you mean by sacrifice?"

He asks. "What sacrilege do you perform here? The beast should have been skinned and binned, fed to the hogs or as ashes, spread to the four winds."

He wonders regarding the warrior's sanity? The chieftain seems to be dabbling in unhealthy affairs and I wonder if the gleaming radiance of the hammer actually picks up some possession in Grey-eyed Boe rather than the rune branded vargr carcass.

He looks around, concentrating upon the hidden shadows, movements and inflections of gestures from G-EB, the vargr carcass.

Using his barbarian Danger Sense

Stigandr mystery roll [1d20]=10 Perception [1d20+3]=12+3=15

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:19 pmAssuming from your description that my hammer is glowing.
A circle of moonlight shines continuously from Skirfir's new hammer.

Spearmint wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:41 pm"What do you mean by sacrifice?"
I'll address that right away - that's a misunderstanding that stems from my miscommunication. I'll be explicit:

The towns of Trinity host the festival and send forth young warriors on the first day of winter for more than secular reasons. The beasts hunted and returned to the town are for the purpose of sacrifice to Freya, a sanctified hunt to thank her for the bounty of Freya's Gift (the surrounding forest) and to petition her continued Grace. Sacrifice to the Gods is quite normal - your own Gothi Ralfwin is particularly of this expertise, dedicating your valorous hunts to Odin.

You expect that Rudolf's statement about unsuitability is that your rune-marked beast is the only vargr harvested in the event and that it being Hel-touched makes it unsuitable for the offering to Freya. While the runes and lines on the floor are for SOME kind of ritual, it is far beyond Stig to understand it as more than charcoal squiggles. The ramifications of failing to propitiate Freya are unknown.

To be clear - the towns are here because of the forest of Freya's Gift. Freya's touch is upon this area and the forest has ever been more fruitful than it should, sustaining the three towns of Trinity in this otherwise cold and foreboding clime. The corruption you observed in the forest not only bodes ill, but could spell the end of the Trinity towns all-together if the forest becomes corrupt or barren.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

"Of course this warg is an abomination, it is Hel touched and should be burned to cleanse it from the earth. What must we do? What are your ideas?"

Doshea
looks up at the ceiling, hearing the raven reminds her of the birds which had watched them from the dark in the forest while they battled the Hel-touched wargs, and group which had been attacked by a slew of birds before coming upon their pyre, making her uneasy and on guard. "Should we go and check upstairs?" She looks to Skirfir and her glowing hammer. "Can a twice slain warg be brought back again through magic or could it be another source?" She looks up to the ceiling once more.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

I'll address that right away - that's a misunderstanding that stems from my miscommunication. I'll be explicit:
Thank you. I will keep my actions as geared towards investigative of the scene rather than suspicious of Grey-eyed Boe.

actually, you know what. If Stigandr understands the comments from Grey-eyed Boe as explained above and knows how important a sacrificial offering is, particularly one that the chief conducts to gain favour and security for the Trinity; if no suitable sacrifice is found: that a beast is provided and found acceptable, would he then in his madness and drive to appease the gods, desire to make a more suitable propitiation.

His newborn child being birthed upstairs as we gather?

Can I use my inspiration point to perceive any such madness or thoughts in Grey-eyed Boe?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Usually, just roll a d20. Something will apply to it. If you spend inspiration you can re-roll the d20. :) In this case, it is an Insight check.
Stig rolls Insight [1d20]=15[1d20]=8
(No need to spend the inspiration.)

Stig ponders the expression and thoughts of Boe. He doesn't see signs of madness, but there is plenty of grief, guilt, and fear. And every time there's a noise or cry from upstairs he looks to the wolf sacrifice on the floor.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"Unfortunately I can't tell what is causing my hammer to glow, but I don't believe it is the Vargr."

Turning to Grey-Eyed Boe, "My hammer is detecting a Hel-Touched near by. It must be within about 100 human paces. Any idea what it might be?"

Mystery rolls [1d20]=1 [1d20]=17

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by sastaz »

Vakar takes the oportunity with the noises and the stress to step back and slip into the shadows, putting his hand on the hilt of his dagger...

Stealth check: [1d20+6]=16+6=22

He'll try to keep watch of any sudden movements from the people in the room, or from anything else hiding in the corners, but gets nervous and stressed by the shouting and smell of blood and sweat bringing back uncomfortable memories. No not again. They're back?

Perception check: [1d20+5]=2+5=7

Mystery roll: [1d20]=9, [1d20]=11

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

The Gothi has been deep in his studies and rituals over the last few days, checking on Carr and those from the other surviving group. He wears his armband with some pride though in truth feels he has yet to fully earn any enhanced tracker gift.

He adds any report as asked by the village and war-party elders. He asks Rufolf regarding 'what he suspects the vargr to be'? Can he share what that is prior to our gathering in Boe's place, summoned by him later.

Arriving at the dwelling he is concerned by what he hears more than what he sees. He wonders after Stig shares his own concerns whether the radiance of a Hel-touched being might actually be emanating from the soon to be born baby!
"I am attending Hungerd's birthing. It is unlike any even the old hearlers have seen."
Is that part of the curse we have brought upon the village? He has a feeling of dread but doesn't want to intrude upon the midwives.

The raven squawking. If that is one of those undead birds, then I will gesture a Sacred Flame cantrip over it, withering it to a charred and ashen creature. and hopefully not burning the place down.

Ralfwin: casts Sacred Flame cantrip. [1d8]=7

Ralfwin: mystery [1d20]=4

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

The group shares their worry, interrupted by the distraction from above. Vakar shifts sideways behind some crates, unnoticed, recalling some personal trauma.

"Should we go and check upstairs?" asks Doshea. The raised voices of distant women clamor and then cease, the cawing abruptly silenced. You discern it distant, likely from the second floor.

Skirfir turns to question Rudolf and Boe -"My hammer is detecting a Hel-Touched near by. It must be within about 100 human paces. Any idea what it might be?" Boe looks to the floor, a lump working up and down in his silent throat. "We have our suspicions... replies Rudolf, wringing his hands, "fears, more... but it best not to..."

"It is the child." Ralfwin's prescient statement is flat, not a question.

A blood-curdling scream comes from upstairs. Boe leaps to his feet and bounds up the steps two at a time, Rudolf's short legs moving twice as fast to keep up. Already prepared to go, Doshea is next, then the others. Boe throws open the door on the second floor, revealing a large bedroom. Hungerd is upon the bed, hair caked by sweat and tears, covered in blood, Grima and two other mid-wives in the room - they weep, one vomits into the chamberpot. A dead crow lies on its back in the middle of the floor, it's wing crumpled, the shutters of one window still open to the night air. The room feels like it is in slow motion, shock and horror of everyone's faces.

"I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry..." whispers Hungerd's faint voice upon the bed, as if speaking through a fever.

An old woman enters from a rear room, the baby wrapped in a large piece of cloth. She carries it to Boe, her steps faltering. "It's not a baby... It's not... It's not a baby..." she stammers. Boe scoops it into his arms, cradling it.

At his side, Rudolf catches a glimpse in the wrappings, and he quickly turns to the others. "Let's give her time," he says authoritatively, "Let's give her time to pull herself together. Those who have no more business here, leave." He directs this at the extra midwives, who bustle themselves past you and out of the room. Turning to you all, Rudolf adds, "Go back to the basement, we may need you yet."

In the basement, Vakar remains unnoticed, possessed at that moment with his own memories. As the others dissappear up the stairs, however, something begins to happen. The air gets colder and feels thicker with each and every passing second. The runes on the carcass and on the ground begin to shine. He hears the footsteps and shouting stop, muffled soundlessness filling the room, the abrupt silence hanging in the air like a heavy smoke. The light of the runes flares brightly, then goes dark. The air clears, the torches illuminating normally - nothing seems changed.

Reactions so far?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

"What devilry is this? She gives birth to an imp, a wolf-pup?"

He speaks, probably out of turn as they are ushered away. "Surely Hungerd will not suckle such a changeling? Freya's Mercy indeed. It would be a mercy to slay the child now and let them mourn for a son stillborn.

Rudolph, your duty lies within unless you have no mettle for the task."

He reaches to his waist, pulling out his dagger and offering it hilt first to the chief's counselor.

Stigandr doesn't see it as brutal infanticide since ' it's not a baby' to him indicates 'it' is something else and the child conceived has already been lost, diabolic schemes making the baby some changeling babe.

Or, even worse, the babe is a Werevargr pup, conceived after some dogging from lustful lupine parents. In which case, all three need a more silvered blade ...

Stigandr Yngvarsen: mystery roll [1d20]=8

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

Skirfir goes downstairs with the others. Contemplating how she should deal with the situation, it is unlike her or her kind to rush decisions.

Insight [1d20+5]=20+5=25

At least she got a good roll.

Mystery rolls [1d20]=16 [1d20]=18

Wow, 3 good rolls in a row. the die roller must be broken.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

Doshea scowls at Stig "They know what must be done if the child is indeed touched by evil, leave them be," and heads to the basement. A babe is hardly a worthy adversary, Gray-Eyed Boe and Hungerd have a difficult decision to make and don't need an audience for such a discussion or task.
"How does one give birth to something that is not a baby? What could have caused that? Have any of you heard of such a thing before?" she ponders aloud to the group on their way down to the basement. Her brother's birth had been normal by all accounts and she'd never heard of someone giving birth to anything other than a baby. Sure she'd heard of stillborns, but that was the extent of any abnormalities.

Mystery Roll: [1d20]=1

Nope Rex, it's not broken :lol:

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

Holds back on the 'I told you so' comment. He is more civilized than the barbarian Stigandr. The thought of killing the newborn is one that fills him with dread.

"If you have suspicions Rudolf then may I assume you have encountered such before? It is out of my experience. What is happening here?"

He would offer some divine Odin inspired protection but that might be too late if whatever afflicts the child is congenital.

He has another thought too. Despite the midwives being ushered away, he suggests they are kept until sworn to secrecy regarding events here. Loose tongues and gossip are not good for the community or Hungerd, Grey-eyed Boe or the baby.

Ralfwin: mystery [1d20]=14 another mystery / perception roll [1d20]=1

The continual presence of dead ravens also bugs him. The guards should be hunting them to destruction.

"Have you no trained hawks to patrol the gables from these wretched creatures?"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sastaz »

Vakar awaits the return of the others. He seems haunted, although he did not even witness what took place upstairs, like the others.

After having heard what happend.

So it's a curse then, if the baby was born like that. Not a bortbyting but a spawn of Nifelheim. What else could it be? Sorcery?

He pauses.

"Anyway, this house is haunted. While you were up, something or someone, entered here. Something unspeakable. How can we even fight this, what we cannot touch or see?"

He looks at Ralfwin and Doshea speaking that last question. Then back to the entire group.

"No, there must be someone here in league with the dark ones. They do not interfere directly like this. Even Odin himself when he walks by men do not work directly like this. We have to find this traitor!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Stig speaks forthrightly, offering Rudolf his dagger. Doshea scowls at him, leaving them alone with the decision. Skirfir is deep in her thoughts, but one thing is clear to her - Boe and Hungerd have not the mettle and still believe it to be a child, their child. The door closes behind you as you descend to wait again in the basement.

They hear from Vakar of the unspeakable feelings, the darkness, in the basement. He speaks his own conclusions of tretchery in league with Hel. Skirfir knows that poisoning a whole region by Hel is as much within the Gods power as blessing it was for Freya... and that doing so is a powerful force indeed.

Heavy, slow footsteps on the wooden stair presages the arrival of Rudolf and Boe, coming down to join you. Boe looks like a different man than the one who gave the speach before the hunt. His grey eyes have lost their luster, his voice dull, "We were supposed to celebrate after the hunt... as we have done on all other years. Meals were to be eaten, hunting done, games played. But..." he trails off, grappling inwardly with the momentous events. He glances back at Rudolf, then clears his throat to continue, looking at your armbands. "Hel's influence is stronger than we think, and that requires faster action from us. I will give you your first assignment, the newly selected members of the warband... I need you to carry word to the lake, Freya's Tear, and tell them there the evidence of your eyes. Then, one more thing..." he falters again, looking down at his clasped hands, "You will take my child there, too. Ygre will carry and take care of it. She is knowledgeable of the Freya temple and waits for you above. You will need to leave the village before sunset, with her." Shifting to logistics concerns, his voice steadies and quavers less. "You may take supplies for at least a week, and I recommend you do so. Food, oil, rope, whatever you need," he gestures to the crates in the storage room here. "And don't worry... I will personally deal with the rest of these Hel-touched creatures." he adds, anger beneath his tone.

Boe stays to answer your questions, Rudolf is tight-lipped but bustles around to help you with your provisioning from the supplies. You may ask questions here, before you depart.

The lake of Freya's Tear is south and east, through the forest where you ventured for the Hunt, but twice as far. It is the center of Freya's Mercy, the unnaturally bountiful forest, and extrordinary things have always been known to happen there - the sick heal rapidly, animals have larger litters, trees grow fast, the winds are softer, the winters warmer. (Even the less astute of you recognize that Boe hopes for just such a thing, sending the child.) It gets its name from a belief that Freya filled the lake with her own tears during the First Age. A golden light can be seen shining from the bottom of the lake, even at nighttime. Many rulers have made pilgrimage to the lake to get Freya's blessings.

Ygre is the Gothi of Freya who sent you forth to the hunt at the end of the feast; you recall her as strong and forthright. She knows the way to the lake well and can guide you as well as caring for the child. The lake is sacred and none are allowed to enter it, drink from it, or take water from it without Freya's blessing - those caught doing any of these things are punished severely.

There is a small Lake Temple on one end of the lake, the settlement of Knafgata on the other end, a larger walled town which contains the largest temple of Freyja in all Svilland.

1) Ask any final questions of Boe.
2) Name any supplies you replentish and add them to your inventory post in your private thread as well. (Recalculate encumberance)
3) When you are done, you will meet Ygre upstairs and head out of town to begin the journey.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Leaves asking about the child's condition to others, setting himself more for the task.

"Are we to walk? She and the babe at least should travel on a mount." I am guessing here that we do not have horses between us. There is a stable attached here; any horse, a mule or pony would do and we could add extra supplies to any saddlebags.

How far is it? A week's supplies indicate several days travel. Is Ygre going to wet nurse the baby? Why not bring Hungerd too?

I will detail supplies once I know who is playing pack mule, (me or the horse?).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"If there are no horses, mules, or donkey's maybe they have some goats. My people use pack goats, although not as large they are hardier and can travel just as fast under load as an unladen man."

She will take a weeks rations and an extra waterskin. Hopefully she gets at least a goat to haul extra gear and serve as food when the time comes.

She will try and get a look at the child once out of the settlement.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Enoch »

Valdís scoffs at the basement ritual. "Foolish Mithal. If you had told us the wolf was for a sacrifice we would not have returned one such as this to you. You worship Freya as a goddess, but she was the greatest of the Seidr. You play at these rituals, but do not even know how to talk to her." She shakes her head in disgust as they depart the house.

Valdis is pretty well situated, equipment-wise.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”