Bryne

"I will be close by outside the gate in case I am needed."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Father of Worms

#402 Post by Darithe »

Mave

"Very well mon capitaine, I'll follow your lead," Mave says, wishing she had bought some rope now.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#403 Post by Revenant »

Torvik, Ruskin, Vari, Kade, Mave, and Wilwarin all decide to made the descent back into town to retrieve their horses. That will mean each will need to lead two horses to the gates. Torvik believes he can find a good path down the mountain that won't require rope and includes very little actual climbing skills thanks to the easy slope of the area near building #3 on the map.

Meanwhile the rest of the group make their way into the woods. Morwen and Athan wait in the woods guarding your two prisoners while Bryne leads Thena, Locke, Davion, and Liviel towards the road that leads to the town gates.

What does the group sneaking into town plan to do once they reach bottom? And what is the plan for group two's diversion near the gates?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Maybe hide on one side of the road and throw a rock or 2 across the road to make some noise on the other side?

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#405 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Once she reaches bottom into the corrupted town, Mave will immediately make her way to the stables. She figures the less time spent out in the open the better and she means to quickly determine if anyone else besides the stable hands are within.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#406 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik once in town will stick to the shadows and make his way to the stables, figuring the stable boy probably can be paid for his silence.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#407 Post by Revenant »

Once they reach the bottom of the slope, Torvik and Ruskin lead the way, both used to skulking about when the need arises, followed by Kade, Mave, and Wilwarin. There is little traffic and light save from the nearby buildings as you make your way to the stables, unseen by those across the stream. You pause as you hear voices within the stables, one a young man by his tone says, "Kip, we need to get busy and saddle those adventurers mounts. Pere Malvu has someone coming to purchase the steeds and they need be ready to travel." The stable doors are open and you can see your mounts within, several already saddled. The only visible figures inside are a stable boy of about 11 or so and a young man who could not be more than 19. Neither are armed and both are busy working within and catch no sight of you.

Bryne, ever the wily woodswoman, prepares a lure and tosses a stone across the road. She can see at least one of the guardsman's faces turn in that direction and when he turns to speak to one of his companions, she tosses another for good measure this one hitting the brush and rolling through fallen leaves. As she watches two guardsmen emerge from the open gate and you can see another two above keeping their attention focused on their compatriots. The two guardsmen move in the direction of the noise, one hesitating and then the other goading him forward, "What ya afraid of? Probably just a fox or something." Though both keep their loaded crossbows pointed in the direction of the noise.

GreyWolfVT

#408 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik having heard that their mounts are bound to be sold moves in and clears his throat "An what exactly are ya think yer doin with them mounts eh? Selling our horses are ya? Well, yah can keep saddlin them up cause we're leavin now." the dawrf says in his most stern voice. "An if you gota problem wit that I'm prepared ta pay yah fer yer service."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin is equaly offended by Malvu’s perfidy, but unsurprised.

Walking in beside Torvik, a smile on her face, she tells him:

Now, don’t be gruff, these lads are only doing as they were told, and doing it well. It is not their fault that an evil man has power over them, and they are not doing evil. Now.

Switching her attention to the stable-boys: I am sure they would not willingly be involved in theft, let alone covering murder. No, they will finish their work, go home, and sleep quietly until the morning, I am sure.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne keeps watching the guardsmen. Once they turn their backs and start back in she will throw another stone, where the guards on the wall are not looking.

GreyWolfVT

#411 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik furrows his brow "Oh aye, I wasn't meanin no harm. Just kinda felt like a scoldin dad fer a minute there."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#412 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave smiles warmly at the two boys (for 19 is hardly a man), and leans against the barn door, arms folded and cocking her head to one side allowing her braid to sway to one side before her. "Ah I see you have been informed that we need our mounts right away. Please rush, and there is 5 silvers for each of you upon completetion." She then steps inside and lets one hand rest on the hilt of her rapier while other brushes her errant braid back into place.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#413 Post by Revenant »

The older boy looks up, a look of fear on his face at the sudden appearance of the adventurers, while the boy Kip merely shrugs and continues making the horses ready. The older one remarks, "I meant no harm sir and ladies. I was just followin' orders. Pere Malvu said somethin' happened to you good folk and ya wouldn't need yer horses. I'm sure now that yer here he'd insist we'd hand them over ta ya. Just let us finish up and I'll go find the good brother and we kin sort this out, I'm sure," he smiles nervously as he continues his work.

The two guards poke about in the brush but see no sign of culprit. One remarks, "Foxes aren't good eatin' anyway. Too tough and gamey tastin'." The two turn and start back to the gate. The other two atop the gate are talking and not paying attention to what's outside. Until the sound of the third rock causes all four to be on alert. One of the guards outside curses and both turn and run to the brush. One shouts, "IF ANYONE IS OUT THERE, NOW'S THE TIME TO COME OUT AFORE YOU CATCH A BOLT!"

From the woods behind them, Bryne, Thena, Locke, Davion and Liviel hear the sounds of a scuffle from where they left Athan and Morwen with the prisoners. Thena curses and rushes off in that direction.
Last edited by Revenant on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne holds to see if the guards react to Thena moving. If they do she holds her position and remains hidden. If they don't notice she will sneak back to the others.

GreyWolfVT

#415 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "Yeah somethin' happened but we ain't dead." he waits until the boys finish up and leave. Then turns to the others with him and whispers "While they're gone what say we head on out? Wit tha horses obviously. Incase anyone was thinkin ta makin wise cracks." ;)

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#416 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Once they have completed saddling the mounts, Mave true to her word gives each their coins. Then turning to the others, "I agree with Torvik, lets make haste and get out of this godforsaken town. Hopefully Lady Bryne will have distracted the guards."

GreyWolfVT

#417 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik after Mave gives the lads coin hands them both a gold coin as well. "That's fer doin' such a good job lads. An dun worry I won't tell yer boss I gave ya a tip." he winks slyly and in a friendly manner.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin waits at the door, watching the street, while the others talk to the boys.

As the stablehands take their coin and start to leave she turns and addresses them pleasantly:

I do not think there is any need to trouble Pere Malvue, he will need his rest after such a trying day. Perhaps you would care to walk with us a little? The night is pleasant, and you can tell us what tales are told of our grisly fate.

She does not intend to risk letting the older lad raise the alarm until they are nearer the gate. Hopefully she can divert him, but she is prepared to restrain him if necessary.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#419 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave picks up on Wilwarin's clever ruse, "Aye, as good men of moral standing, it is only fitting you see us ladies to the gates, perhaps even lead a couple of our horses to lessen our burden. After all, we've had a most trying day." She tries to appear the weak delicate flower that she most assuredly is not.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#420 Post by Revenant »

The older boy says, "Mayhaps you are correct good lady," he replies to Wilwarin, "He isn't fond of being interrupted when he is working...or sleeping," his face slightly blushing as he looks at her. The boy Kip and the older lad who informs you he is called Berne, both offer to help lead the horses for the ladies, taking the time to shut up the stables, they then walk along with you, Berne says, "Pere Malvu said ya fell victim to the undead within the mines. I thought there must be quite a few of them if they overtook so many, when I saw all your mounts in the stables. Thank the gods, Lord Tallow sent ya to deal with the threat." Kip looks at Torvik and his recruits, "I bet you kilt 'em all, considerin' how tough ya look." As you walk down the path past the cemetary you note the town gate open and the two remaining guards watching the outside on top of the wall.

Thena is careful as she slips off to do so as quietly as possible and the two rummaging through the brush don't hear her over their warning to whoever hides on the other side.

Any who follow Thena will soon come upon Athan guarding the leather-clad warrior, with Morwen and the other prisoner no where in sight. Athan quickly explains that the prisoner bolted into the forest and Morwen ran after but a few moments ago.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”