Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

#161 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid moves to stand before Sir Dewey, "I see much of a goði in your heart so the comparison is apt." She places a hand on his shoulder and leans close to his chest murmuring, "Allir feður, gefðu mér styrk." Then standing back, "May the All-Father wisely guide your hand."

Strength spell: [1d8]=8
Chance to retain spells vs. 14 Int. [4d6+1]=10+1=11

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring: back in the entrance barrow...

Buffed out with rippling muscles and warded from poisonous betrayal, the paladin Sir Dewey steps into the rope loops and is wound upwards to clamber out into the upper Barrow crypt.

for next three hours you have the benefits of 18/20 Str, after return to original attribute score.

Sigrid, Moorheeth, Vann Hector, Bucko & Martell wait below for an amicable resolution. You can try to gut the spider but such has been the time difference since the creature was slain until now, rigour mortis and decay has set in, rendering the web producing gland unusable. You wait in the corridor in silence and dimmed lanterns. There is a door just off a short passage to your left which the BRAGging comrades went through though it is securely locked from entry. actions give me any specifics otherwise I will just have you wait out the negotiations here until SD can return.

Sir Dewey. This was the very first encounter within here:
The barrow chamber is approximately 50'ft square with four strong stone pillars that support the domed roof. Between the pillars in the centre of the room is the block and tackle winch . Spread around the perimeter of the room are the waste and jetsam cast aside by other expeditions. Broken flasks, broken picks, flea ridden bedrolls. One still has a person inside! Dead, long deceased judging by the rictus grin and withered husk of flesh. There are bones scattered about, humanoid skulls bare and bleached white, animal bones and some antlers, several birds shafted with arrows are piled by some steps that lead to the ever misty exterior of the mounds.
The mummified or zombiefied figure is still left to rot in his sleeping bag against one far wall. Muffled next to him is a bruised Sundance, her hands tied with cord in front of her. Treyvor, coshed, dumped upon a blanket nearby. You assess the surrounds, exiting the rope and two 'desperadoes' frisk you for hidden weapons.

The huddled group indeed number a dozen plus figures but what you might perceive is that each are racially half-orc and those figures, swathed in hoods and face masks that match up to the gnome's diminutive statute, are actually pre-teen children. You can see a few of the group are more femininely dressed, notwithstanding each has a weapon, including the crossbow totting kids.

Nameless, no longer the broader 'beef' in the chamber. He puts away his sword but his men at arms still protect him at arms length.

"Welcome to the land of the living from your questing among the dead. Is the church so poor is sends its bravest and best grave robbing?" he asks.

"They are a little worse for wear but unharmed as you can see. Of value to you and the church? Or shall we cast them down as worthless scum, much like we have be treated. Pariahs, scum of the earth. Gypsies, vagabonds, thieves.

If the law so wills, we would carry a bell and toll "unclean, unclean"."
he tries to justify his extortion.

actions Sir Dewey.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The knight looks around and assesses the group. A tribe, family perhaps?

He bows slightly in recognition of the situation. "Thank you. It does feel like I've been down there for months. I wish there were only dead below, but the dead are no longer resting. They hunt."
"Previous explorers, and perhaps some grave robbers, came and told tales of the undead rising. Surely you've seen some signs on the barrow. There was an entire mound where skeletons arose to grab and strike at the legs of those who trespassed. It is my duty to root out and destroy the undead, so here I am."

"But what of you? How did you come to be here, with your group? A tribe, family?"

He nods to Sundance and Trevor. "All have value to the church, or at least that's the official stance. These have value to me."

"Which town, and people have treated you thusly? As pariahs? I cannot see how that label applies."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Looking at my inventory. While not coins, (I have 4gp, 50sp in cash and a gold earring worth 15gp), I also have the two 'Silk Blousons' taken from the crates which were described as 'exceptional crafted, of spider silk threads, being light but warm'. While not enchanted they represent value if these half-orcs care for 'Versace' dress wear.

I am trying to gather together coins and goods that Sir Dewey could leverage in any ransom. I will not give up my magic ring or sword and I doubt any should be forced to trade magic items. But I don't think SD's charisma alone will secure Sundance and Treyvor's safe return.

So what else can we add to the trade pot?

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#165 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid rummages about in her backpack looking for anything that might be valuable. She is hesitant to offer her jewelry unless it truly is essential though she does offer what coin she has. "Perhaps, if they've a mage amongst them, I could offer to teach them the spells I've mastered."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey intends to offer them more valuable than cash, he is thinking of offering them sanctuary. A chance for stability.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Spearmint »

Negotiations in the Barrow Crypt.

For Vann Hector & Sigrid, there is not a lot they can do except trust in the charismatic paladin to secure the hostages release and to keep a secure watch on their surrounds. Apart from scurrying rats which scuttle about in the edge of their lantern light's illumination, nothing else creeps about in the catacombs.

Above them, Sir Dewey barters for Sundance & Treyvor.
"But what of you? How did you come to be here, with your group? A tribe, family?"
"Broken clans, once several families, now we shelter as one. Men as brothers together, the sisterhood of the women, wives now two to a man, the children of one and all. Except that Sprog, the youngling with the frown and temper. He is mine, once of his mother's nature. She rests asleep now. He will not sleep until avenged."

Nameless points out the various figures, half-orcs each one. With a little observance you see they are well armed and have probably met with conflict on their travels. They are ill equipped beyond basic necessities and certainly are not here to excavate as other expeditionary groups are outfitted for.
"Which town, and people have treated you thusly? As pariahs? I cannot see how that label applies."
"The Duchy marks us everywhere we go. The patrols bar passage on the roads lest we pay the toll. For the lesser conscripts of Krothos men, cleavage not coinage pays. 'Leg-over leagues' they name it. The Lordling puppet in his mansion sought to claim his 'rightful ius primae noctis' but that became a rather abrupt 'coitus interruptus' and it was my blade rather than his that ran slickly."

You gather they herald from a community to the west, being the offspring of slave owning progenitors who propogated much of the frontier prior to it seeding under Duchy authority. In a human centric society, they are still seen as an underclass of people, few rising to positions of authority or favour themselves. Brother Gamdar being an exception rather than the rule.

It seems the community had a series of rebellions and after notable killings where blamed upon them (which they don't dispute but offer mitigations for), the community scattered and as vagabonds, traipse from one place to another until they can settle. You might think Bogtown with its seedy reputation for harbouring all sorts of fringe characters might be their preferred destination.

They see the hostages as collateral to obtain some community wealth. You also respect they might 'do anything to survive' in the sense that they have less scruples in regard to how they raise resources and mugging the weaker and more defenceless groups not a problem to their conscience.

Nameless reaction to SD [1d100]=56

You chat briefly, listening patiently. Checking on Treyvor who is conscious and Sundance , still bound by her hands for they fear her spell craft.

actions Sir Dewey, comments, questions, offers?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight chuckles at the imagery. "You bled Krothos? Ah, what a thought. I can see how that would cause some troubles."

He considers the situation while Nameless speaks. "I appreciate the position you are in. Men without a base do what they must. Let me impress upon you my position. I currently reside in Helix, and where I think Bogtown might be more accommodating to your group, there is a unique opportunity in Helix."

"Outside of town, there is a plot of land where my associates are building a hall. We need labor. You need a stable base. Come work with me on the hall. We will pay an honest wage, provide lodging during the construction, and a bonus for completion. When done, I will vouch for your group in Helix, or Bogtown if you prefer. And who knows, perhaps we could work on other endeavors together."

"If you travel with a Knight, your toll troubles will disappear. And these children will have a chance to have a stable upbringing. I will even offer some gold upfront, as a sign of goodwill."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

While we wait below, we should do something useful too. The first door on the right was stuck and I am assuming from the map that just like 'the Rat Room', this room will open into this Long Corridor and the door into the Grotesque Hall which was locked and we could enter thst way.

So listen at the door, if no sound of threat, open it up and enter to explore.

Vann Hector: Barge door open 1-2 [1d6]=4 Open Locks attempt vs 33% [1d100]=80

Which might seem a great idea but I feel a bit lightweight in the barging doors open department.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Spearmint »

"You bled Krothos?
Not him directly but a vassal lord. Still any attack upon the Lord's is an attack upon the Duchy itself.

Vann Hector bounces off the stuck door. As do Martell & Bucko. The swollen door solidly stuck in its frame. Beefed up by augmented strength, Sir Dewey would have less trouble though he is negotiating above.

Martell vs door [1d6]=4Bucko vs door [1d6]=6

Sir Dewey makes a conciliatory offer to Nameless and his kin.

Nameless reaction to SD [1d100+30]=52+30=82

The reaction is positive, at least the offer of gold which is their principal goal. Observing some of the group maybe have more reservations regarding trusting the paladin, nevertheless, the group leader seems to appeal to the idea.

You talk of Helix; it has a day school, the Chapel has an half-orc minister in Brother Gamdar, the B.R.A.G site is on the village fringe so more isolated from the main populace. You can pay honest labour and shield them from the long arm of the Duchy law. It might even be something to advocate for.

"Two hundred gold then. Call it a 'signing on' fee. You get these two ragamuffins returned and come dawn we can all set out for your commune."

His suggestion includes a wad of gold and returning to Helix come the morning. That would bring the Where-Rats expedition to a close unless you accompanied them alone.

actions make any counter offer and talk with Sigrid and Vann to come to a group decision.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid waits patiently for Sir Dewey to complete his discussions.

She will agree to the contract Sir Dewey negotiates for Sundance/Treyvor and the help for the hall.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

The agreement to work for the adventurers guild or not is probably not something I can advise on as the setup is Sven's and Orgoth's. I don't see them disagreeing with the suggestion mind but I will leave that for the paladin's charisma and diplomacy to smooth out.

It sounds the negotiation progress is going well. They have reacted positively and even dropped their gold demand. Perhaps a hundred gold 'in good faith' now and the rest when they arrive on site might be more circumspect.

My other thought is the demand to leave at dawn. I think we should stick together as a group so no one is going back alone. But could they go on their own and report to Mr Deucalion? He is the site steward and Moorheeth could script a parchment detailing the contract specification?

I am thinking too (trying not to metagame here but I do read the other threads, the BRAG team are nearby and trying to contact them might not be out of the question.

I would be fine going back, effectively ended this expedition, as long as we contact the other team and not just disappear without a word. That must take precedence otherwise they might consider we are lost and roam tombs looking for us while we actually live it up in the brothel, tavern or church.

It might also then give space for one or two to crossover and join the BRAG group and continue exploring if they prefer.

Personally, Vann Hector will accompany Sir Dewey. If you agree to return to Helix with the Half-orcs, I will go with you. If you barter Sundance and Treyvor's freedom and we and the Half-orcs part ways, fine to.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He nods at the proposal. "Allow me to confer with those below." I think I understand your positions, please correct me if wrong. He moves closer to the hole and calls down, updating them on the situation.

"Things are going well, I think we have come to an agreement and possibly arranged for some labor to build the hall. They mean to leave at dawn, and it would be best if I went with them. We need to contact the others and inform them." He clears his throat a bit and resumes a bit less confidently. "Also, I, uh, need some help. I've negotiated the agreement down a bit, but I'm still short. Can anyone lend me some coin? I will be sure to pay you back." He needs 25 gold

Hopefully, once someone is willing to loan him money, he returns to Nameless. "I think this is agreeable. I do require one stipulation. I need to send word to my companions below and cannot leave until then. It should be done by morning, but one never knows."

He pulls out his money pouch and asks for Sundance and Trevor to be untied. "You have my word. I know that Helix will be beneficial to us both and I look forward to working with you all." The Knight, after concluding the transaction, will follow the captives down below.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#174 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hey gang!

I had recently received some disturbing news from the doctor, so I was away from the board for a while, going through……stages. (if you want to know more about it: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 24#p661124)

After finally being caught back up here, I can say I wholeheartedly agree with MR/SD’s idea. (though I might suggest a DE on the entire group before any final handshakes) :lol: I don’t know if Rex reads the other threads, but I am sure Orgoth would be willing to take them on as well, especially since he is a kinsman.

Great idea actually! A win/win for both parties, even if we do need to leave the dungeon again. (Sven and Yardie are both still diseased anyway, so no harm in going back from his standpoint. Hungry Deuce is in Ironguard at the moment, I believe)

Their initial “pay” can come from our collected guild dues, so no reason for anyone to go broke paying out their own hard earned coin. :D

I have sincerely enjoyed following along with this groups progression so far!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Spearmint »

Moorheeth

Has been holding the 'group loot'
+30gp, +75sp, + filigree necklace of intricate silver chain. Holding for group.
So will toss up the pouch of coins that you can use to fill out the ransom.
I need to send word to my companions below and cannot leave until then. It should be done by morning, but one never knows.
so here I had to check the chronology of both groups. You are approx at 11.00pm and at this point the other group are adventuring in the furthest crypts of the Fungal Corridors and beyond.

The door in the short passage through which they went was opened via a Knock spell usage. That group may have shared the fact the chamber beyond had many pressure plate traps under the oddly tiled floor and one of these triggers the release of the door as the lock resets closed. Vann Hector has broken his lockpicks from earlier defaults, so it cannot be picked open by skill but brute force remains if you wish.

Alas the door scores 3-0, beating a further attempt to unlock it. You could try and batter away through, though it is of sturdy and iron banded, reinforced construction.

With that in mind, I don't mind hand waving a negotiated treaty where Nameless and crew sleep overnight in the upper Barrow Mound crypt and the Where-Rats seek shelter again in the Rat Room or 'No Evil' Skeletons room, trusting by morning you can touch base with the BRAG team.
Nameless reaction to SD [1d100+30]=91+30=121

There is no half-orc crew betrayal to the agreement. As a show if good faith, as Sir Dewey descends back down the rope he is called to "Look up ... Catch!" as thrown headfirst into the chamber and into the strong arms of the paladin comes a frowning and cursing half-orc youth, the 'Sprog' pointed out earlier as Nameless's son.

"In good faith. That you know we will not harm those we keep. Don't bother trying to ransom him back to me though, fecund and carefree I spawned a score of loins. At least those I know off. He is one of many. Copperpiece his name and value." he says to Sir Dewey.

"Stick closer than a shadow to him boy, perhaps in his footsteps you can learn some discipline and a little prayer to make your mother proud." he says to the boy who berates his dad with a stream of half-orcish expletives at the indignity of being cast down. Between the two men however you acknowledge the gained trust that he commits his son's life into your hands.

Barrow Maze random [1d6]=4[1d6]=6Barrow Maze random [1d6]=2[1d6]=2

The hours in the night pass without issue. It is very eerie, occasionally you hear a distant groan, slam of door, echoing footsteps, pitter patter of scurrying rodents. By dawn you awake from a fitful sleep. One never fully rests in the tombs for the decay and atmosphere give rise to constant bad dreams and thoughts. No wonder the dead walk restless too.

Arriving back inside the Barrowmaze from extra-planar exploration and taking just a three hour nap, the BRAG group can combine with you and from gathered posts the suggestion seems to be to return to Helix together.

This would conclude both expeditions.

Trek back to Helix

Trekking home from Barrow Mounds [1d6]=6 [1d6]=3 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=1

No encounters through the Barrow Moor but on the road into the village a Duchy patrol swings by, noting the Half-orcs being accompanied along. The conscripts look edgy and the guard Sgt, a veteran knows that despite brandishing his waxed sealed 'arrest warrant', it will have little authority to compel you to hand Nameless over. He justs waves you by but says, "there will be words."

You all arrive safely back in Helix by midday of June 28th.

actions Sir Dewey, Sigrid, Vann Hector please state where you will go in Helix and a basic plan for how to spend the next few days.

For example:
I will stay in my tavern room, researching xyz spells, items, I will finish this skill task, rest up and go on next available expedition.

I will update here with an Expedition Summary and XP rewards and detail any trove you may wish to distribute.

posts please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Yes, I would be up for returning. I have my Brazen Strumpet tavern room and will stay there as it is prepaid.

I hired Sundance from the mercenerary guild for three days I think so if we gave a very quick turnaround or an idea for adventure strikes, I will try to extend her hiring contract. I will post in the Mercenary Guild thread for that.

We have minor treasures. I will just store my share in my locker. I will also remember to take back my poison save bracer that I gave Sir Dewey for his negotiations. Apart from the cursed Rakshassa ring affects, I have no other immediate downtime business.

I will post in a few settlement threads to touch base with folk if necessary.

great job SM, I loved the undead cats! and the Wraith statue 'breath weapon' trap that breathed Shadows on those who failed saves.

man it was a meat grinder! We only explored along two extra corridors and adjoining rooms but each had near death experiences. Bravo.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Rex »

Orgoth would be in for sure.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Spearmint »

Where-Rat's expedition summary:

The xp for the six Hobgoblin Warg riders and the trio of Grotesques, plus a Wolf Spider (slain by Vann as it lurked by the winch hole) are combined and shared between both BRAG & Where-Rats points award as both were present during the encounters.

I will edit the summary as I cross reference both threads and check the xp share status of npc's and hirelings. Here is a brief so far.

Six Hobgoblin Warg riders: 180xp + 75xp for 'the gaffer'. 255xp

Six Wargs: 1140xp
Wolf Spider: 190xp
Trio of Grotesques: 255xp.

Plus: for the negotiations with Nameless to ransom their captives and then turn that around to including them into the BRAG labour force. I will add +50xp per Half-orc adult resettled, so +600xp.

Meeting Fenrice & Barghest brigands. +50xp.

total: 2490xp / everyone.

edit: the two-team xp award, 2490 gets divided by seven full shares (each character, reducing the withdrawn Moorheeth to npc status) and six npc 1/2 shares. 2490/10= +249xp per full share.

Where-Rats Delve Encounters:

Five Ravenous Zombies: 250xp
Mongrelmen Champion: 225xp.
Two Mongrelmen: 100xp
Four Undead Cats: 80xp.
Three Shadows: 971xp.

Exploring two corridors and adjoining rooms: +100xp.

Encounter with spectre of Sister Magdalena. Discover history and information relating to the Fount of Law, Nathalas, Dhekon the Disgrace and Sir Guy O'Veargne: +100xp.

Total: 1826xp / three full character shares and four half shares to npc figures. (Bucko hired on torchbearer rather than veteran status for his Mercenerary contract).

So 1826 / 5 = 365xp per full share.

249 + 365 = 614xp per full share, +50xp in character roleplay and overcoming tricks, traps, creative ideas, creative dialogue.

Equates to 664xp adjusted by any prime requisite bonus (+10% to Vann Hector only). Each character player also receives the +100xp Player participation award:

So in the final analysis. Here is the resolution of your experience awards:

Resolution:

Vann Hector: +830xp
Sir Dewey: +764xp
Sigrid: +764xp

I have added the above to your public record which should reflect this:
Sigrid Mryvka: Mage L3 5305/8001 no prb

Sir Dewey: Paladin L3: 5827/8001 no prb

Vann Hector: Thief L3: 6729/8001 +10%prb
please adjust your sheets and let me know of any discrepancy.

Npc's: +382xp

Treasure Trove:

Battleaxe, taken from the undead Mongrelmen Champion and equipped to Martell.

Filigree necklace of silver chain.
Decorative vase with the design of a sleek, long dragon wrapping itself around the vase.

10gp in coins, each covered in wax and fitted with a wick to use as the base of a stubby candle.

Intricate black chain with a silver Tin Whistle (Sigrid). Silk blousons, (Vann & Sundance).

Actions post in-character in the settlement locations and post here to continue expedition discussion, questions and comments.

I should have actioned this as you passed into the next day:

Moorheeth casts Cure Light Wounds: Sigrid [1d8]=5 Sir Dewey [1d8]=4

Sir Dewey 11/22.
Vann Hector 7/16.
Sigrid 11/14.

Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 5/12.
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 8/8

So each character arrives back wounded still from the fight with the Shadows needing to rest one full day per +1hp of health back (or adventure forth but on lesser health).

Actions, comments and questions please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I have adjusted my xp. Your score seems +50xp more than my record.

As far as the treasure: I am fine with buffing up the ransom advance, so give Sir Dewey the ten coins and he can sell or keep the vase for his troubles. The necklace can go to Sigrid. She can take the risk blowing the whistle!

I have a few silk garb already from the miller's wife, so will donate one each to Bucko and Moorheeth. Sundance had two different ones as we checked different crates.

The only 'item of worth' that we know is the Battleaxe which I thought was enchanted (and looking ooc at posted macro's, it may function as a +1 weapon). Not one I can use, let Martell keep it as the guy is a fully fledged Guild member. Bucko has also been paid extra wages from his hire contract. Only leaves Treyvor short, but gnomes are short anyway.

I might still risk finding some loose ends to attend to rather than wait nine days to fully heal up. I will post in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern and the other locations as I gallivant about the village.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#180 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid will keep the whistle, but not use it, merely carrying it in her backpack for now. She will book a room at the Brazen Strumpet to recover from her injuries and regain her spells.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”