Barrowmaze: BRAGging Rites

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Barrowmaze: BRAGging Rites

#521 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The item Sven is most interested in for himself is the tube of Earth Elemental. :?:

I am guessing he isn’t the only one, :D so hopefully we can get some of these items identified to ease and hasten our distribution.

We can obviously swap or roll for the popular items as we normally do, but if anything interests you specifically, go ahead and speak up.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by Spearmint »

The xp for the six Hobgoblin Warg riders and the trio of Grotesques, plus a Wolf Spider (slain by Vann as it lurked by the winch hole) are combined and shared between both BRAG & Where-Rats points award as both were present during the encounters.

I will edit the summary as I cross reference both threads and check the xp share status of npc's and hirelings. Here is a brief so far.

Six Hobgoblin Warg riders: 180xp + 75xp for 'the gaffer'. 255xp

Six Wargs: 1140xp
Wolf Spider: 190xp
Trio of Grotesques: 255xp.

Plus: for the negotiations with Nameless to ransom their captives and then turn that around to including them into the BRAG labour force. I will add +50xp per Half-orc adult resettled, so +600xp.

Meeting Fenrice & Barghest brigands. +50xp.

total: 2490xp / everyone.

........ ....... ...... ....... ...... ...... ...... ...... ...... ..... ....... ..

BRAGging Rights: expedition experience points awards:

Creatures:

Rot Grub maggots: +20xp.
Two Bruxa, (ghoulish witch-women) +340xp.

Two Fungicides: +220xp.

Gas Spore: (by DMG stats is equivalent to only +33xp but I consider that its explosive 6d6 reactive attack is worth a five-fold danger bonus on the basis it can instantly slay a character). So: +165xp.

Trio of Kech: 975xp.
Herne stag: 25xp.

Large Ticks swarm (x9), 90xp.
Gray Ooze: 290xp.

Exploration:

Repatriation of Master Reggino, rescue of Yewwy & Willo. Gaining Herne favour in mausoleum.
+250xp.

Mapping Fungal Corridors and locating side access into Nergal Nave. +50xp.

Solving Mural access into secret Barrow Grove. +50xp.

Total 2475xp

You have four surviving characters, Sven, Orgoth, Gerdal & Isvand, plus Amos (1/2 share xp, full share trove), Gnimish (signed on to BRAG membership as representative of Konrad's AIC, also 1/2xp, full trove), Yardie (mercenerary hire actually on zero xp but 1/2 share trove following this rolling contract based on discussions here:

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 26#p613826 ). I might consider getting his future contract from 'base torchbearer' to veteran status changed so that he can level up over expeditions too.

2475 / 5 full shares = 495xp

edit: the two-team xp award, 2490 should get divided by seven full shares (each character, reducing the withdrawn Moorheeth to npc status) and six npc 1/2 shares. 2490/10= +249xp per full share.

Plus a +100xp bonus to cover overcoming challenges, tricks, traps, creative roleplay.

495 + 249 + 100 = 844xp + any prime requisite bonus %. Plus each player receives the expedition participation award of +100xp

Resolution:

Amos: 372xp
Gnimish: 372xp
Yardie: 372xp

Sven: +944xp
Orgoth: +1028xp Congrats you advance to level 4!
Gerdal: +944xp
Isvand: 472xp fighter / 514xp thief .

I hope that is sufficiently accurate! Let me know any discrepancies. I will add the above to your public thread record.

actions any comments to the above and end of expedition stuff. You can continue to post in this thread with discussions and keep character actions to location threads.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#523 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Looks great to me.

Does that xp total include his xp bonus?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Spearmint »

Does that xp total include his xp bonus?
yes, 844 + 84 prb % + 100 = 1028.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#525 Post by Rex »

Great, thanks.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#526 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal

has a lousy CHA (did you notice?! :) ) so she will probably not try to get a better (worse) price.

Thanks for the xp! About 1.000 to go to next level, let's make next trek a 1.000+ one 8-)

SM, which items pinged during the Detect Magic?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Spearmint »

Orgoth will mingle with the half-orcs and see what he can learn. Do they practice a faith, worship a god(s), their history etc.

He will use 3 doses of his cinders oinkment (he had 19), this gives him 3 hours with a Chr of 13 for half-ocs (his is 12 with half-orcs +1 for the oinkment).
Sorry I should have actioned this. The Oinkment gets used!

Nameless and crew are in good fellowship. They might be slightly overawed with a knightly paladin in Sir Dewey and the broad warrior in Orgoth shepherding them.

The group number a dozen adults, seven men and five women and a few pre-teen children. They have no set faith, being nominal. "We had to worship as the Lord proscribed." That would have stuck to Yggite traditions.

For brevity I won't rescript their history, you can read their testimony in the Where-Rats thread. Suffice to say they rebelled against certain oppressions and after a few skirmishes became outlawed.

They herald from the far west (off the map) and were originally seeking solace in Bogtown. Though having few possessions, you note each person, children included bears a weapon, kept in clean condition and order. Some bear two, perhaps even three. While agreeing to the contract for work, even though you carry good relations, they are still nevertheless wary in case of betrayal.

There is also a fair bit of unvoiced animosity from Sundance and the gnomes, Gnimish not happy that Treyvor was coshed. In good faith their personal effects were returned to them but the ransom / advance has been kept. (that was 200gp, negotiated by Sir Dewey).

But the trek back is not hindered and soon old grievances are put aside.

The adults are all labourers from a farming or construction background so will actually fit in very well at the guild site. They wonder if you want them to rustle a few cows or goats from neighbouring properties.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#528 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will discourage rustling. "You will have plenty of opportunity with your skills. Exactly what we need actually. I think you could also with a little work with myself and Sir Dewey you could make the start of a guild militia to aid the town in times of need and you could earn extra coin as caravan guards at times."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#529 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is impressed with how well Orgoth leads this newly recruited workforce, allowing him to take charge in laying out their upcoming construction duties.

"I would listen to Orgoth if I were you, friends! He is well versed and very well liked here in Helix. Oh, and........as far as rustling and thieving goes, you might need to rethink your usual ways while here in town. As a newly formed group ourselves, we will be under great scrutiny from Lord Krothos and his men for some time to come. If the law around here gets wind that you are working with us, that scrutiny is sure to intensify. Any one of your group who is caught breaking the law while under our banner will be treated like any other common criminal, without special privilege or protections from the Guild. As leader here, I will see to any unfortunate instances myself." Sven privately tells the gnomes that if any more head coshing should need to be done, they will get first dibs.

Offering the new group a meal and something to drink once they arrive on the grounds, the young mage continues.

"As Sergeant Stonewall already mentioned, your skills will be tested here. But as long as you preform your tasks professionally and amicably, I see no reason this arrangement cant eventually become permanent. Would your family enjoy a place where you can finally settle down safely and grow your roots in peace and prosperity?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#530 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Herne Yew Bow (key?)
Herne Antlered Helm (key?)
Do we believe there is any more to these other than being keys for entry?

Do any of the following ping as magical after the detection spell?

a large drinking horn made from Mammoth tusk Sven
a bearskin cloak Isvand
a leather quiver filled with finely fletched silver tipped arrows Yardie

Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp

a large leaden key, inset with a green and yellowish stained gemstone, a type of Chrysoberyl

Vial of Mummy Dust

grains are little pea sized seeds, dry and old but still fresh and free of any contagion. Between the mages, you can identify them as some type of ancient papyrus.

One ancient helm encrusted with semi-precious gemstones. Needs polishing, seems more ceremonial than functional. The interior is lined with black velvet.

A Runic Tablet is etched in old common, but readable. The headline on the tablet just states: Obituary to Vanity. From experience you know reading the full verses triggers the runes to effect random banes or blessings though via an Identify casting, a more specific diagnosis can be understood.

A mammoth ivory hilted dagger and an ivory carved death mask. They seem a matching pair, the hilt having faces in the sides and the mask having daggers etched in the cheeks

a large pewter tankard etched with gold leaf around the rim, base and handle

pouch of throwing darts which may be thrown or trimmed down and used in a blowpipe

metal cylinder with a cork stopper. It looks like a storage jar, about two feet high and a few inches wide. Looking inside you see it contains a thick viscous mud, gnolems say it contains 'a guardian earth elemental'

The first sheaf is a ledger note, titled Emporium's: acquisition invoices. The other sheafs are odd numbered pages of a research project detailing a new spell that focuses upon ... oh! that would be detailed on the even numbered page ... You can conclude that Reggino was selling the pages at 50gp a each to an alchemist or mage? you will need further study to interpret this find to either complete the research and create a new spell or sell the remaining six pages to the researcher.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by Spearmint »

Using your Detect Magic observations:
Herne Yew Bow (key?)
Do we believe there is any more to these other than being keys for entry? they have a residual magic radiance, but that is due to them combining to make 'the key' to open the Mural path. They both function as normal helm (AC4) and normal Yew longbow otherwise.

Do any of the following ping as magical after the detection spell?

a large drinking horn made from Mammoth tusk Sven no
a bearskin cloak Isvand yes, Isvand is investigating this
a leather quiver filled with finely fletched silver tipped arrows Yardie (20, silver tipped arrows)

Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp no

a large leaden key, inset with a green and yellowish stained gemstone, a type of Chrysoberyl
yes in the sense it radiates as though it accesses a certain lock.

Vial of Mummy Dust. no, but the Mummy Dust is ancient necrotic bacteria which induces Mummy Rot.

grains are little pea sized seeds, dry and old but still fresh and free of any contagion. Between the mages, you can identify them as some type of ancient papyrus. no, but thinking of this. Many prized ancient scrolls are written on papyrus and ancient seeds might provide the basis to regularly harvest grown papyrus to craft into scroll worthy parchments.

One ancient helm encrusted with semi-precious gemstones. Needs polishing, seems more ceremonial than functional. The interior is lined with black velvet. no

A Runic Tablet is etched in old common, but readable. The headline on the tablet just states: Obituary to Vanity. From experience you know reading the full verses triggers the runes to effect random banes or blessings though via an Identify casting, a more specific diagnosis can be understood. all Runic tablets radiate enchantment.

A mammoth ivory hilted dagger and an ivory carved death mask. They seem a matching pair, the hilt having faces in the sides and the mask having daggers etched in the cheeks no

a large pewter tankard etched with gold leaf around the rim, base and handle no

pouch of throwing darts which may be thrown or trimmed down and used in a blowpipe no

metal cylinder with a cork stopper. It looks like a storage jar, about two feet high and a few inches wide. Looking inside you see it contains a thick viscous mud, gnolems say it contains 'a guardian earth elemental' yes

The first sheaf is a ledger note, titled Emporium's: acquisition invoices. The other sheafs are odd numbered pages of a research project detailing a new spell that focuses upon ... oh! that would be detailed on the even numbered page ... You can conclude that Reggino was selling the pages at 50gp a each to an alchemist or mage? you will need further study to interpret this find to either complete the research and create a new spell or sell the remaining six pages to the researcher. yes

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#532 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Okay, thanks!

It's almost like you're reading my mind about the papyrus seeds. :mrgreen:

I wonder how that grows in the misty, marshy conditions around Helix.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#533 Post by Spearmint »

Papryus is a 'bog plant' growing best in moist, boggy soils, even submerged in shallow waters. Full sun preferred. The Barrow Moor is misty but Helix and surrounds are generally Temperate climes and free of Moor mist.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#534 Post by Spearmint »

Papryus is a 'bog plant' growing best in moist, boggy soils, even submerged in shallow waters. Full sun preferred. The Barrow Moor is misty but Helix and surrounds are generally Temperate climes and free of Moor mist.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by Rex »

Depending on what it does if Isvand isn't interested in the bear cloak Orgoth might be.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#536 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Good to know about the papyrus!

Good to know about the.......sorry. :lol:

With all that preening Isvand was doing earlier, I think he's interested.
:mrgreen:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#537 Post by Rex »

Me too, but just in case. I figure a real bear cloak would weight more than a Halfling. :lorcl:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#538 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Herne Yew Bow (key?)
Unless anyone wants to equip either of these for themselves, I suggest they be stored at the Guild House for the time being until we need to use them again. Does anyone want to do a bit of research into Herne or his most notable followers?

Magic Items:
a bearskin cloak Isvand
a leather quiver filled with finely fletched silver tipped arrows Yardie
metal cylinder with a cork stopper. It looks like a storage jar, about two feet high and a few inches wide. Looking inside you see it contains a thick viscous mud, gnolems say it contains 'a guardian earth elemental Sven?

The plague mask certainly seems to fit in a way that it could be air tight and it appears to have some kind of filters fitted. The lens are thick and possibly the wearer has enhanced vision, as bird's eyes are more focussed. Could it give infravision, seeing invisible, true sight, witch sight seeing in total or magical darkness? Anyone? Sven would be interested in this if someone else wants the elemental mud tube.

large leaden key, inset with a green and yellowish stained gemstone, a type of Chrysoberyl Our Key Master could carry this. Or leave it at the Guild until we figure out what it opens?

A Runic Tablet is etched in old common, but readable. The headline on the tablet just states: Obituary to Vanity. From experience you know reading the full verses triggers the runes to effect random banes or blessings though via an Identify casting, a more specific diagnosis can be understood. Would Gerdal have any interest in looking into this?

The first sheaf is a ledger note, titled Emporium's: acquisition invoices. The other sheafs are odd numbered pages of a research project detailing a new spell that focuses upon ... oh! that would be detailed on the even numbered page ... You can conclude that Reggino was selling the pages at 50gp a each to an alchemist or mage? you will need further study to interpret this find to either complete the research and create a new spell or sell the remaining six pages to the researcher. Or these?

Vial of Mummy Dust Anyone?

Sven will start working on getting this following stuff processed and sold for coin, unless someone wants to claim any of it as is?

Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp

large drinking horn made from Mammoth tusk

little pea sized seeds, dry and old but still fresh and free of any contagion. Between the mages, you can identify them as some type of ancient papyrus.

One ancient helm encrusted with semi-precious gemstones. Needs polishing, seems more ceremonial than functional. The interior is lined with black velvet.

A mammoth ivory hilted dagger and an ivory carved death mask. They seem a matching pair, the hilt having faces in the sides and the mask having daggers etched in the cheeks

a large pewter tankard etched with gold leaf around the rim, base and handle

pouch of throwing darts which may be thrown or trimmed down and used in a blowpipe
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by Rex »

At this point Orgoth is only interested in the coin/treasure of monetary value.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#540 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal could be interested in the notes, which seemed to contain notes on a new spell Reggino was working on.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”