Chapter 0: The Gathering

gurusql
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 0: The Gathering

#201 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Boff huffs as he eats.

“Bunkwallis! I like that word! We are in agreement, friends! The longshanks wouldn’ta hired Franny en me fer nothin. They know something’s brewing in them mountains, an they wants it fixed, too.”

“But changes in the magnetic field? I wouldn’t even want ta imagine what could cause such a thing. It’d have ta be sumthin mighty powerful. Any of ye got any ideas what could cause that?”

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by gurusql »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:51 pm Boff huffs as he eats.

“Bunkwallis! I like that word! We are in agreement, friends! The longshanks wouldn’ta hired Franny en me fer nothin. They know something’s brewing in them mountains, an they wants it fixed, too.”

“But changes in the magnetic field? I wouldn’t even want ta imagine what could cause such a thing. It’d have ta be sumthin mighty powerful. Any of ye got any ideas what could cause that?”
Mekpec

"Ahh, you mean the magic-net field, riiight. I wouldn't know such a thing, but it would be cool if it is an apprentice of Slerotin the Magus and not some evil force!"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by gurusql »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:56 pm Siouxsie
The last challenger comes up Magnus a miner with a 15 STR, what is the reaction from Siouxsie and Nah? Several of the patrons are quite drunk and yelling to "Ring the Bell!"

Probably getting drunk as well, not that it takes many ales.

"Ah, here we have our final challenger. Magmus, sorry ... err, Mignuts, no it is Maxanus, yes the 'Major of Miner's', the Pick of the Tools, ..."

having a few drinks loosens her grip on ringleading introductions.
So Siouxsie rings the bell purchasing another round for the room. Siouxsie pulls in 18 gp in bets and then the bartender Moss says "I will add 20 gp to that line!" he says with a huge grin. The combined bet is the biggest line of the night by a large margin.

Nah puts on his game face and shows his teeth to the room and points to his muscles, and both challengers sit down for the match. The match starts in a sloppy fashion with both performers allowing an opening and neither side taking the advantage. Nah's tiredness shows in the second round with Magnus taking the early lead. Nah senses that he has to recover quickly, but leaves himself open to an attack in the third round resulting in Magnus easily winning the match. A happy roars come out, some are cheering for the winner, some for the span of the match and some for the ale. But everyone is in a good mood. That is when the realization comes to Siouxsie, that she owes 10 gp 12 sp for the ale and 38 gp for Nah losing that round.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#204 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Boff slams the last of his ale.

"Agreed! But it's always some evil force, innit?"

If the gnomes have nothing else to tell, the dwarves retire to their rooms for the night to be well rested for their travels in the morning.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#205 Post by cybersavant »

Nah Olos looks at Siouxsie and shakes his head. He orders an ale and sits with the others. Once she joins them, he whispers to her, "You been drinkin' wit the rest? Didn't see me signal?" He takes a swig of his drink.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Storm11 »

Hex and Raffi commiserate with the half-orc.
You did well big fella. A good effort the halfling says good naturedly.

The little pair will spend a little more time partaking in the libations before heading to their room to get a good rest before starting out in the morning.
Greys Campaign.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#207 Post by spanningtree »

Androgost

Indeed, an excellent showing of prowess.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Spearmint »

Siouxsie

Should still be in profit. I've got a feeling I am being swizzed here. Counting all the ales I bought and the dearth of serious gamblers (who must be betting in silver not gold from the paucity of confidence they have in local brawn), she checks here purse after paying any debts out and settling the evening.

"Did we win? Let me count up .... 17gp, 12sp profit. Must be losing our touch. Here you earned it, it'll pay for soft beds and some wench to rub those sore muscles down." she passes the purse of coins over to Nah Olas.

Content with the evening reverie and at least here, no bar fights, she will sleep in a bit extra in order to recover, 'the morning after the night before hangover'.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by shaidar »

gurusql wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:58 am
The hot food finally gets to Androgost, Qleceec, and Garrant just as they were about to give up and go and look for seller of horses. Androgost asks if the barmaid knows of anyplace to purchase horses to which she replies, "I would purchase them down in the capital. They are much more expense up here on account of the all the giants and ogres that live in these parts. Not to mention how expensive it is to keep horses in this city!"
Garrant

"Wise advice, unfortunately it we are unable to heed it as we must continue on into the mountains without time to turn back. Is there anyone here that sells horses?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by gurusql »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:59 pm Garrant
"Wise advice, unfortunately it we are unable to heed it as we must continue on into the mountains without time to turn back. Is there anyone here that sells horses?
"Not that I am aware of, only an individual owner or the town guard have horses." says the barmaid.

A person in the bar leans his chair back and says, "I can get you three riding horses if it is really worth my while."

The barmaid throws back over her shoulder, "Oh and you might find one to sell you some down in the sewers, but don't say I didn't warn yah."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#211 Post by spanningtree »

Androgost

Nods at the barmaid: Thank you, we'll discuss.

To the person at the bar: Can we take a look at them after supper? Discuss what they are worth to you?

Eating discretely while conversing among his comrades: My thought is to follow up with the gentleman at the bar and the stables, the sewers are likely... a place for riff raff. From a time aspect I think we should avoid cleaning this towns arse if better options are present.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by cybersavant »

17gp, 12sp
Nah Olos takes out half the offered coin, and pushes the rest back. "Fer you, or the group - beds fer tonight, or horses?"
gaming since 1980

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Rex »

Qleceec

"From the sounds of it we are probably better off just moving out at dawn."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by shaidar »

Garrant

"I agree, up just before dawn and ready to move out as soon as it is light enough."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by spanningtree »

Androgost

Nah, hold on to that for now, it may come in handy soon enough. You strength and endurance ore formidable.

Reflects on the health/stress level of the groups mounts....

OCC: @GM: Being a Cavalier, Androgost is highly experienced with horses. Are their any red flags he is worried about with their current state?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Rex »

Qleceec

Keep in mind that Qleceec also has a pack horse. In a pinch it could be used as a mount and is probably lighter loaded than the other horses. Not ideal but in an emergency.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by gurusql »

Inns of North Reach
10PM Earthday, 6th day of Planting, 597

Androgost (AC -6, HP 65/65)
Qleceec(AC 1, HP 63/63)
Nah (AC 4, HP 53/53)
Siouxsie (AC 2, HP 48/48)
Garrant (AC 8, HP 50/50)
Boff (AC 5, HP 61/61)
Franny (AC 4, HP 26/26)
Hex (AC 0, HP 27/27)
Raffi (AC -1, HP 21/21)

Rich Vein Pub
Boff and Franny finish the conversation with the gnomes and are the first to head to bed for the evening. Expecting to be leaving around first light.

Molten Spider

Nah, Siouxsie, Hex, Raffi, Androgost, Qleceec and Garrant are still in the bar finishing food and drink.

Garrant is looking for some additional horses and finds someone that will consider selling them to the group.

Androgost says "Can we take a look at them after supper? Discuss what they are worth to you? to which the man at the bar says, "They are my horses and I am not looking to lose them, but for the right price most things are for sale. Of course you can see the horses and then you can if you want them make an offer and I will not be negotiating - I will accept or decline."
spanningtree wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:59 am OCC: @GM: Being a Cavalier, Androgost is highly experienced with horses. Are their any red flags he is worried about with their current state?
Sure the existing horses are tired (they travelled 70 miles in one day), but they should not be permanently harmed by this.
Rex wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:19 am Qleceec
Keep in mind that Qleceec also has a pack horse. In a pinch it could be used as a mount and is probably lighter loaded than the other horses. Not ideal but in an emergency.
Just for clarification, it is a riding horse carrying supplies so it is very ride-able

I am seeing some differences of starting time for the next morning. Garrant and Qleceec (not to mention the dwarves) saying just after dawn (e.g. the original plan) but Siouxsie (and perhaps another) sleep in a bit extra in order to recover, 'the morning after the night before hangover'. Which is it?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Rex »

Qleceec

I vote for dawn.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Storm11 »

OOC : there are four small folk tagging along also. So doubling up in the saddle (one lanky and one small folk) is also a possibility should anything untoward happen to one of the horses.

Hex takes Raffi and heads to bed once the commotion at the Spider is over.

He is assuming it’s dawn as well. The gnome will place his specific magic mouth stones at the door and window before retiring, and collect them in the morning before he leaves.

If possible, the illusionist will get breakfast for the pair at the inn before departing if that’s possible and it’s not too early.
Greys Campaign.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by cybersavant »

Nah Olos finishes his ale ( his second, as he did not drink while arm-wrestling ) and says, "Dawn come soon. Off to bed now." He secures the extra coin and heads to his room.
gaming since 1980

Return to “Earthquakes in the Jotens (1e)”