Character Generation

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#61 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:30 am I read through the rules on magic, but I can't seem to find the link to my character sheet. I am sure I am missing something obvious but I apparently need help to find it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

Thanks. Looks good overall. Wondering about Turn Rope to Web, Illusion II, and Confusion, Short. They seem out of place to me. Could we go with a version of Animal Friends, Spider Climb and/or Feather Fall instead?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:50 am Thanks. Looks good overall. Wondering about Turn Rope to Web, Illusion II, and Confusion, Short. They seem out of place to me. Could we go with a version of Animal Friends, Spider Climb and/or Feather Fall instead?
Illusion II was just familiarity to make it easier to identify and dispel illusions (though illusions are harder to detect). But you could go with something else for familiarity.

I didn't give you Confusion, Short. Gave you Demoralize, Short and Entrancement, Short as nice offensive spells that are complimentary to the spells Shaidar's Mage has.

I replaced Turn Rope to Web with Spider Climb (Shaidar's Mage has Featherfall so figured it would be good to have a complimentary spell again).

Feel free to futz with memorization yourself.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rex »

Looks good, that makes sense. Thanks.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by shaidar »

I dropped Telekinesis down to III and added some familiarisation Spells.

Yes another culture would be interesting, looking at the setting what would be available? Vasa?

Reading through the setting, it seems to make sense that his homeland is The Greywoods, but he likes to travel. Perhaps he spent time in Vasa before it was invaded and so he has culture(Vasa). When it was invaded he decided to head north towards home with some of the fleeing vikings and settled in blackmarsh. Alternatively it could be The Grand Kingdom if the viking culture is a bit anathema to the elves.

EDIT: how about a skill in Singing or musical instrument.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 pm I dropped Telekinesis down to III and added some familiarisation Spells.

Yes another culture would be interesting, looking at the setting what would be available? Vasa?

Reading through the setting, it seems to make sense that his homeland is The Greywoods, but he likes to travel. Perhaps he spent time in Vasa before it was invaded and so he has culture(Vasa). When it was invaded he decided to head north towards home with some of the fleeing vikings and settled in blackmarsh. Alternatively it could be The Grand Kingdom if the viking culture is a bit anathema to the elves.

EDIT: how about a skill in Singing or musical instrument.
I put in Culture (Blackmoor) and Culture (Vasa). Singing or musical instrument would also work. You have 1 more skill point (good for a 1st level skill). You could also take those Culture skills at less than level 2 and have more points to play with if you want more breadth, but one thing to consider is what skills you would want to develop as you gain Expertise levels. While the difference between level 1 and level 2 is minor, eventually you will have skills at more decent level and you don't want your base to be so broad it's hard to keep 5 skills up with your Expertise level.

I need to offer armor to your characters, a magic item for each (a potion or two or a charged item), and if you have thoughts on any other equipment you want (I don't go too crazy on equipment, but I also have a price list...). You will each have a horse. See the equipment document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qvG ... ue&sd=true (check with me on anything that seems a bit exotic, it's an old document and I haven't reviewed it...). I think I have your weapons all in.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by shaidar »

I think I'll stick with those two culture skills and leave it there. As you say, best not to spread things too thin.

I'll take a look at the equipment list and get back to you, I can see him travelling light.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rex »

I will be traveling light as well.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:31 pm I think I'll stick with those two culture skills and leave it there. As you say, best not to spread things too thin.

I'll take a look at the equipment list and get back to you, I can see him travelling light.
Sounds good. Saving the 1 skill point actually is fine.

I put you in Heavy Dragon Leather and added Espadon (appropriate 2-handed sword for you) and Horse Bow.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:16 pm I will be traveling light as well.
I put you in Chain with Short Javelin and Medium Shield and Sling.

You also have some left over skill points, but you could also save them, though you do have 3 points, enough for a level 2 skill, on the other hand, if you save them, you have enough points to boost an extra combat skill to level 3 when you make level 3 Fighter.

Your sheet currently has charisma skill listed, you will want to decide what that skill might be.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by shaidar »

ffilz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:29 pm
shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:31 pm I think I'll stick with those two culture skills and leave it there. As you say, best not to spread things too thin.

I put you in Heavy Dragon Leather and added Espadon (appropriate 2-handed sword for you) and Horse Bow.
:cool:

So, how about this for equipment...

On person:

Adventurers pack
2 days elven rations
Waterskin
Map case & pens

On horse:

Pack saddle & saddlebags
8 days of elven rations
Camp cooking gear
Lantern
6 vials of oil
100' rope
Grain feed for horse

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:36 pm
ffilz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:29 pm

:cool:

So, how about this for equipment...

On person:

Adventurers pack
2 days elven rations
Waterskin
Map case & pens

On horse:

Pack saddle & saddlebags
8 days of elven rations
Camp cooking gear
Lantern
6 vials of oil
100' rope
Grain feed for horse
I'd keep the Adventurers Pack on the horse, 120 ENC is a lot... Hmm, I need an ENC for grain feed for the horse...

On the other hand, if you keep a pack, it just takes 1 combat turn to drop it (and lose the weight). Note how easy it is to drop the pack on the character sheet... Change that Pack? "y" to blank. If you are on your horse, your armor doesn't encumber you, and the sheet adds you and all you are carrying to the horse's encumbrance... Way cool stuff enabled by a dynamic character sheet. You can also change Pack? to "h" to leave your pack on the horse.

I also need to think about horse breeds...

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by shaidar »

I sort of assumed that the horses would be quite happy to eat vegetation as we go and the grain is really just a supplement to what we can find in the wild. The same really us people to, we'd do some hunting and foraging as we go and use the rations as a boost or when we don't have thee time.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

I would plan on some foraging/hunting in the wilderness as well, certainly fits the character. Not at home right now so can't view the sheets, but I am thinking of holding the skill points for now and mail and javelin are good. Would probably want 2 more javelin for throwing.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:21 pm I would plan on some foraging/hunting in the wilderness as well, certainly fits the character. Not at home right now so can't view the sheets, but I am thinking of holding the skill points for now and mail and javelin are good. Would probably want 2 more javelin for throwing.
I added thrown javelin skill at level 3 that uses up your points but you may not want that. Up to you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

Perfect, I definitely would want that. I was assuming it was covered by the melee skill, always dangerous to assume anything.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:47 pm Perfect, I definitely would want that. I was assuming it was covered by the melee skill, always dangerous to assume anything.
When you get a chance look at the Areas of Expertise document and choose your social skill.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rex »

I will go with a Culture skill in a culture I would have had a chance to interact with.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 am I will go with a Culture skill in a culture I would have had a chance to interact with.
There's the elves that Shaidar's PC is part of, the Grand Kingdom, dwarves, various orcs and goblins, and farther afield.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Lets go with the Grand Kingdom. Assuming it is the closest significant human culture.

Return to “Blackmarsh Adventures (Cold Iron)”