Character Generation

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#41 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:13 pm The axe is probably OK, follow ups can be tricky with them. The blunt weapon thing is BS, certainly once plate came into use no knight would go into combat without one. Hammers and maces ruled the battlefields of the later middle ages against metal armor. Examination of battlefield mass burials in Europe show the majority of injuries were broken bones not cuts, from the widespread use of mail on. Swords are great against textile armor, not so against mail and plate. I am an analytical chemist in real life and have volunteered my expertise on examining metallurgy, composition testing of various things, and C14 dating because it interests me. So I have read the academic paperers on many if not most of these. As far as reality in a game, I don't really care, just curious how the game works so I don't choose something useless in an effort to fit the character to what I want them to present as. I don't need the best weapon necessarily, but don't want the worst either.
Yea, ultimately you want to make a decent choice for the game. Swords and spears mostly rule the game. If someone really wants to use axe or mace, I'll do a bit more work to figure it out, actually, I do need to make maces work since a PC in my Roll20 campaign uses mace... Back in the day we just used swords and spears, and the rare 2-handed axe user (where the rules at the time gave 2-handed axe more damage than sword but a worse parry - which at least was a tradeoff that made for a different weapon).

I've put your spells in. At the moment, you gain no particular spell advantage for Silvanus as there are no low enough level Tree spells. I'm working on some spells in that department... But in the meantime, take a stab at spell memorization (note the same m, s, and f as I laid out for Shaidar works for Clerics).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by shaidar »

ffilz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:21 am
shaidar wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:51 am Once I have a better feel for the spells, I might consider swapping my bow and sword skills levels. If that's OK?
Yea, you may actually want to do that. As a 4th level magic user, you are probably rarely going to use a bow if you aren't engaged in melee, instead relying on spells.

You need to pick one of the 10 arts, take a look at the spell list (I show up to level 5 because most spells of your Art will be a level lower unless they have a "*" in the LA column).

To memorize spells, you put an "m" in the green cell for the spell. For lower level spells in the same series (read up on series spells), put an "s". If you just want to be familiar with a spell, put an "f" (don't bother with familiarity of series spells). Being familiar with a spell allows you to identify it with Detect Magic which is handy for dispelling (and later countering).
I think I will swap my sword and bow skills.

After much indicision I've gone for flame. So I think I've worked it out and selected some flame spells as memorised on the character sheet, with a few points left to chose Spells he's familiar with. I hope that's right.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

I can go with spear as a weapon. I looked at the docs and didn't see the spells, maybe I missed something?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by ffilz »

There’s a spells tab on your sheet. Also this document (which I need to push the update to):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1DbWSV3D ... ype=msword

Flame is a good choice. I’ll check things over when I have a chance. Did you change the level of all the Flame spells? That gives you access to several 5th level spells.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by shaidar »

I didn't change any spell levels, just chose some fifth level ones. So I need to reduce all the flame spell levels by one?

That will mean my memorization total will go down. :)

I assume my 'familiar with' spells can be of any art?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:52 pm I didn't change any spell levels, just chose some fifth level ones. So I need to reduce all the flame spell levels by one?

That will mean my memorization total will go down. :)

I assume my 'familiar with' spells can be of any art?
All spells are available to you. Just your Art spells are a level lower. Clerics get an Art based on their religion.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by shaidar »

Ah I see. :oops:

I shall revisit my spell list later.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:46 pm Ah I see. :oops:

I shall revisit my spell list later.
I’ll fix it up for you on Monday

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by shaidar »

Thanks.

I did take a quick stab at reselecting my spells.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks.

I caught a couple Flame spells you didn't reduce the level on, and I've re-sorted and removed the non-Flame 5th level spells.

One spell you probably do want to memorize is Detect Magic IV. Being able to keep Detect Magic running continuously is rather handy. Not sure you need all of Magic Missile, Fire Ball and Lightning Bolt, but generally your spell selection looks decent.

I swapped your Bow-2 for Sword Parry-2. Hmm, you might want to drop spear entirely and just stick with sword.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by ffilz »

Rex still needs to pick spells. I can make a first pass if you like.

Both of you also have a bit more non-combat skill selections to make. Take a look at this document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KVO ... sp=sharing

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by shaidar »

ffilz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm

I caught a couple Flame spells you didn't reduce the level on, and I've re-sorted and removed the non-Flame 5th level spells.

One spell you probably do want to memorize is Detect Magic IV. Being able to keep Detect Magic running continuously is rather handy. Not sure you need all of Magic Missile, Fire Ball and Lightning Bolt, but generally your spell selection looks decent.

I swapped your Bow-2 for Sword Parry-2. Hmm, you might want to drop spear entirely and just stick with sword.
Thanks. I've dropped Lightning Bolt and Magic Missile and picked up Detect Magic IV instead. I've got 0.3 points for spell familiarity, any suggestions?

I'm happy to drop the spear and go fully with sword.

I'll take a look at the 'areas of expertise' document and have a think.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 pm
ffilz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks. I've dropped Lightning Bolt and Magic Missile and picked up Detect Magic IV instead. I've got 0.3 points for spell familiarity, any suggestions?

I'm happy to drop the spear and go fully with sword.

I'll take a look at the 'areas of expertise' document and have a think.
I'd go with familiarity with Demoralize, Short or Entrancement, Short as likely offensive spells to be cast on your party. Another option would be Stone Flesh III as a type of defensive spell opposition might have that would be handy to dispel. With familiarity (or memorization), you can recognize higher level versions of spells also as being of the type.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by shaidar »

Thanks. I may drop Telekinesis from IV to III, to free up a point to increase the number of familiar spells.

My character now has a name: Ylyndyr

Looking at the expertise skills the following jumped out at me: survival, herbalism, naturalist, ride, and one or more cultures.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rex »

It would be great if you could take a first pass at it for me. Some personal stuff has come up in the last few days and I have a little less time then usual for a few days at least.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 pm Thanks. I may drop Telekinesis from IV to III, to free up a point to increase the number of familiar spells.

My character now has a name: Ylyndyr

Looking at the expertise skills the following jumped out at me: survival, herbalism, naturalist, ride, and one or more cultures.
You already have survival, herbalism, naturalist, ride listed, Blackmarsh Culture would cover the local human culture. Want another more exotic one?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:34 pm It would be great if you could take a first pass at it for me. Some personal stuff has come up in the last few days and I have a little less time then usual for a few days at least.
Any thoughts of what you generally want to do with magic? Shaidar's Elf uses telekinesis, fire ball, not much buffing. Anything else you would highlight Shaidar?

Spells like Demoralize and Entrancement are nice for hampering enemies. There are things like Silence and Obscurity for hiding. Stone Flesh for armor buffing (actually, you will have Barkskin which is mostly the same spell, but can only be cast on skin not armor - there are some differences in effect of spells like Stone Flesh when cast on armor vs. skin). Blur for defense. You will probably also have an Entangle spell. There's Strength for buffing. Clerics can't maintain spells as well as Mages and can be limited on how many spells they can cast per day, though at 4th level that is less of an effect.

Magic Users can cast any spell from their books (taking time) while Clerics can memorize more.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

I would start with Healing, Outdoors/Wilderness related, and then Buff type stuff. That should complement Shaidar.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:53 pm I would start with Healing, Outdoors/Wilderness related, and then Buff type stuff. That should complement Shaidar.
OK, I've done some memorization for you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

I read through the rules on magic, but I can't seem to find the link to my character sheet. I am sure I am missing something obvious but I apparently need help to find it.

Return to “Blackmarsh Adventures (Cold Iron)”