Action Thread 8

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 8

#81 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:Fool, Malak, the Ranger fumes. If this time he returns as a flying monkey I say we accept it! In his frustration, he will check for sign.
:lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 2:47 p

Malak lights a torch and enters the room. Heading for the back.

This takes most of you by surprise and nobody seems to follow.

But by the light of the torch you can see there is something in the back as it moves forward towards Malak and his torch. Wulgard sees, with some trepidation, as do you all, that it looks like another plant type creature, though larger than the scarecrow creatures you've been meeting. The flickering torch, shadows, and obscuring pillars make a good view difficult.

The party is the X, Malak the M, and the creature is the C.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (20.98 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
PM sent again.

[/b]HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 10/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 2/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Malak; Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes (Malak) OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 43 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 92 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 181 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:But by the light of the torch you can see there is something in the back as it moves forward towards Malak and his torch. Wulgard sees, with some trepidation, as do you all, that it looks like another plant type creature, though larger than the scarecrow creatures you've been meeting. The flickering torch, shadows, and obscuring pillars make a good view difficult.
"Bah!" Malak yelps, as the large, lumbering creature rushes up to assault him. "Save yourselves," he yells. "I'll hold him off," he says as he tosses his torch on the ground in front of him, freeing up his hands.

Initiative [1d6] = 5

He quickly draws his short sword and will attempt to dance around the circular pillar (or pillars), attempting to keep them between himself and the oncoming abomination as best he can.

"Take that!" he says, poking at the beast with his short sword, in what can only be described as one of the worst efforts of all time:

Short Sword (vs. s/m) [1d20-1] = 1-1 = 0 [1d6] = 1
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by tkrexx »

Malak, get out of there!! the Ranger shouts and makes a move to flank the beast (Around the plant-growth left of Malak, as it appears on the screen). Varkos, to the other side! Let's give it too many targets!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake moves to hide behind a pillar from where he can later sneak to perform a backstab.

ooc: Rake will defer Initiative until such an oppurtunity presents itself on any given round. Here's the attack roll in case he gets the chance (no modifiers applied):

To hit with long sword: [1d20] = 11, damage (s/m): [1d8] = 7, damage (L): [1d12] = 5

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#86 Post by Solinor »

Terrified(of course), Wulfgard watches as several party members move to engage the creature. Remembering readings of acts of valor, he feels rage at his fear. He lets out an obnoxious scream and charges forward to help Malak.

To hit: [1d20] = 13, damage with mace: [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

If I can get a charge bonus a 15?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar's eyes go wide as the cleric screams and charges into the cavern, swinging his mace...

"The gods help us..." she mutters, as she cautiously advances after Wulfgard.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo is much like rake, seeing shadow to backstab.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Argennian »

"Malak!" Zafalia cries out as she springs into action to come to her companion's aid. "It looks like a Shambling Mound, but I cannot be sure!" the little halfling opines aloud as she strikes out desperately with her spear...

To Hit: Spear [1d20] = 19, Damage: vs sm/med sized creatures [1d6] = 1
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 2:48 p

Take that! Malak shouts, apparently with his eyes closed as his short sword impales the ground next to his feet. The creature engages Malak, making strange sort of round house punching attacks. The first punch Malak marks and dodges quite easily, not expecting the quick second attack of this shambling creature, the blow catches Malak hard on the side of his torso. [2d6] = 12 causing quite a bit of pain to the thief, the swelling can be noted even through his leather armor.

Rake and Odo attempt to blend in with the shadows. And can attempt to sneak around the creature the next turn.

The rest of the party move up carefully to attempt to engage the creature except the cleric, who charges into battle with it, his mace going ‘squish’ against it seeming to cause no damage.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (21.46 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Okay, we’ll put the druidess’ spear (which will hit) in Round 1 from the second rank. We’ll say the charge was Round 0, because it makes for a fun visual. Everyone who wants to (including Rake (who I already have rolls for) and Odo) can attack this round as long as you fit. Son of Thunder and Varkos (who I’ll NPC) can get 2 attacks each this round. I’ll assume Varkos and Son of Thunder are right next to Malak, who was knocked back a bit. Someone could likely get in south of SoT, I'm guessing you all want that to be Varkos, and this has created a very good backstabbing opportunity for both thieves if they so desire.

[/b]HPs: Malak - 03/15; Varkos - 10/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 2/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Malak; Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 59 minutes (Malak) OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 43 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 92 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 181 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-3/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

Noting the results of Wulfgard's attack, Ilhalevar looks down at her quarterstaff and thinks she might have to sit this one out.

Instead, she turns to the side and begins watching the entrance to the cavern to make sure nothing sneaks up on them from behind. She will bring to mind the words necessary for casting the Grim Quietus, in case it is deemed necessary...

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by tkrexx »

To hit: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, damage with WS spear, sm-med: [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6

To hit: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4, damage with WS spear, sm-med: [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5

The Ranger's spear lances forward with blinding speed, but that's all. He adds a war howl for effect.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by Distorted Humor »

sneak sneak :)

Solinor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#94 Post by Solinor »

Wulfgard will attempt to shield Malak and pull him out of the fight.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#95 Post by dmw71 »

Solinor wrote:Wulfgard will attempt to shield Malak and pull him out of the fight.
"Hey!" complains the scrawny rogue. "You guys need me in there," he protests, but slumps to the ground in obvious pain once out of harms way.

"That... thing... got lucky," he says through tortured breaths.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Distorted Humor »

[1d20] = 8

[1d6] = 1

Odo might be a danger to himself more then others with his sword.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur circling around from the right, sneaks up on the beast. He pauses a bit to try and think of the best way to attack it.

[1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 to hit, backstab
[1d8] = 2 backstab damage

Well, not sure how you plan on adjudicating a crit on a backstab, but I do know an eight would have been better than a 2.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#98 Post by dmw71 »

Nuke66 wrote:Well, not sure how you plan on adjudicating a crit on a backstab, but I do know an eight would have been better than a 2.
Very nice!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#99 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:Al'Zur circling around from the right, sneaks up on the beast. He pauses a bit to try and think of the best way to attack it.

[1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21 to hit, backstab
[1d8] = 2 backstab damage

Well, not sure how you plan on adjudicating a crit on a backstab, but I do know an eight would have been better than a 2.
lol. Unfortunately, I don't think our illustrious DM has any special rules for Natural 20/Crit hits.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 2:48 p
Round 1

Sam’s on “holiday” or vacation as we say it here in the U.S. :) I’ll NPC Varkos.

The cleric grabs the little thief from behind and clears the way for the Son of Thunder and Varkos to attack from the front.

The ranger howls quite ferociously but misses with his spear both attacks. Varkos seems to fair better on his first attack, but still misses both attacks: [1d20] = 16 [1d20] = 1
Meanwhile Zafalia’s spear is on target and she stabs home, unfortunately the minimal damage doesn’t seem to slow it down.

Odo attempts a backstab and misses poorly almost, but not quite, spoiling a beautiful strike by Al’Zur. Sorry I don’t normally do criticals, and especially in this instance with this creature so hard to hit anyway! Al’Zur is able to add more damage to the greenish brown creature.

The creature, deprived of its original target now turns its swampy limbs toward [1d2] = 1 Son of Thunder. The first roundhouse missing but the second landing a solid blow ([1d20] = 7 [1d20] = 16) for 9HPs of damage!

The creature seems intent to continue to attack.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (22.57 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
For Round 2 someone please roll initiative and then everyone can state what actions you all would like to do. Unfortunately at this point Rake cannot get in to attack, nor can Illhalevar really. Son of Thunder and Varkos are in the front, with Zafalia in the second rank, kind of. Al’Zur and Odo can make attacks, at +2 to hit, at the rear of the creature though.

[/b]HPs: Malak - 03/15; Varkos - 10/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 16/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 2/6

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”