Barrow Moor: Raust and the Orphidian tribe.

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Moor: Raust and the Orphidian tribe.

#81 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island: Hag Barrow.

Hag reactions with Raust [1d100+25]=7+25=32

The Hag's hostility, pacified a little by Raust's charismatic attempts to parlay rather than immediately attack. You know that she knows that you know that she tried and failed to charm you. The Hag looks at the goblet of water thoughtfully.

"A command or an invitation?"

She doesn't approach to pick it up, instead withdraws a step. A moment later the unnatural darkness lifts and you see you are in a rectangle chamber, about 30'ft wide with the arched passage and cell door in the middle of this western wall. The room is about twice that long and has as its most defining feature, a large stone coffer set by the far east wall. The chamber is derelict in many ways, cold, uninviting, damp and lichen cover stones. Scattered in corners are the Hag's personal areas, a nest or mattress lined with furs; a corner of bones, antlers, carapaces.

There are alcoves set along the north wall that may once have held statues though these are now broken and vandalised. On one such broken plinth, the Hag snatches up a scuttling rat, biting the head off and squeezing the blood into a goblet of her own. She mutters, like giving thanks for the libation though it might just be a mockery of your own ritual to offer thanks for each hunted kill.

"Daughter of Herne, will you drink also?"

She holds the goblet out to you despite the growlings of Namma through barred teeth.

You can reason that she might be led to believe you are here to slay her (and why wouldn't you), so is not particularly trusting of your actions abd likewise, having been spell attacked and fighting your way past her cohort of larvae 'boys', you are mindful she has a lack of good intentions also.

actions and any rolls you think appropriate.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Marullus »

Raust, unimpacted by most social niceties, makes no move for the offered cup, her tone remaining typically perfunctory. "If you know me as Daughter of Herne, you know I cannot."

Raust looks to the vial she placed on the floor, then back to the hag. "If the door is long broken, why do you linger here?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island, Hag Barrow.

The Hag drinks from her goblet, the rancid blood running over her bulbous lips and dripping on her garb.

"I muse, content in my own company. Would you have me live in a palace as she once did. Seated on a throne of splendor and banqueting on the finest of meats?"

With the last comment she bares her own teeth, yellowed and rotting, snarling a growl back at Namma suggesting wolf-meat to be a favoured banqueting fayre. She gestures with the goblet towards the coffer. "Bones for beauty and ashes for despair. She rots and I use her essence to bind my potions."

You get to see the room in a little more detail, the alcoves and corners have a few utensils that might be useful in sorcerous works; a cauldron, glass flasks, sprigs common and rare herbs, dead birds, implements of bone.

Namma, will need a Save vs Spells. Her voiced growl a Command in wolf tone that will cause her to flee the chamber if she fails.

"Why are you here? The elves come seeking wisdom and knowledge. What does my pretty seek? Do you bring more than tongues of fire and death?"

Hag reactions with Raust [1d100+25]=23+25=48

You can tell she tolerates your presence. The fiery sword an obvious advantage as she stands unarmed though you note her spriteliness in gait and strength in moving the heavy stone coffer lid with ease despite her gaunt crone physique.

Inside the coffer is a corpse, riddled with fat Rot Grub maggots. She pulls one up, biting the head off which she spits into a corner then swallows the rest.

actions please

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Marullus »

Namma Saves [1d20]=12
If Namma uses Raust's saves, that's a pass. If she has her own, I don't know what they are.

Namma twitters like a bird, puffing within her cloak as the hag uses sorcery on Namma. This is the signal recognized from her by her companions to advance with their bows.
"It is offensive, acting against first me and then my sister."

So it is, this is not the creature imprisoned, but a carrion feeder upon the corpse. She is more untrustworthy than even boglings. Let us dispatch her as her larvae, Raust thinks.
"Why are you here? The elves come seeking wisdom and knowledge. What does my pretty seek? Do you bring more than tongues of fire and death?"
"Knowledge and dominion," she says flatly. "We must know our neighbors... Who would parlay and who would grovel."
Use the 1/day Command spell of the sword to enforce the word Grovel.
Attack with the sword (either while she's grovelling or shaking off the spell):
Ivory Scimitar [1d20+1]=3+1=4 Damage [1d8+1]=8+1=9 (if fire) [1d4]=3
If Namma isn't fleeing, she attacks:
Namma (Thac0 16) [1d20]=4[1d4+1]=2+1=3
Wugs and Orphidians shoot on their turn from the entryway.

...not a good start, in any case.

Here's round two to make it easier to adjudicate:
Ivory Scimitar [1d20+1]=18+1=19 Damage [1d8+1]=4+1=5 (if fire) [1d4]=3Namma (Thac0 16) [1d20]=10[1d4+1]=4+1=5
Mystery Roll [1d20]=5[1d20]=2

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island, Hag Barrow

Namma growls, turns tail and bounds out through the gate towards the entrance. The Wugs and Orphidians are alerted to some commotion and advance down the passage towards the gate.

They see Raust engaged in melee with the Hag.

Hag: spell resistance vs 50% [1d100]=41 save vs Command spell 12+ [1d20]=17

"Grovel? Me, I disdain your vanity and ego. A beast-mistress, all bark and no bite."

The Hag spits in your face, a gout of rat's blood and bile. It is a venom of putridness that causes you to wince, eyes stinging and clouded. It blinds your vision and you swung your sword, missing once but finding a mark next time which causes your own gout of putrid blood to run down the Hag's sliced torso, -5hp.

In between the Hag senses your reinforcements coming, casting a Hold Portal on the gate. It prevents physical access into her chamber. A javelin could pass in between the gap in the bars but not everyone could hurl a shaft at once. So I will take it in turns for the Wugs and Orphidians to throw one each at -2 each round for the next five rounds, the penalty given to bypass the bars.

Blinded, you are penalised -4 to hit.

next actions please

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

There's only one way to go here, now.

Locked in alone with the hag, she hacks with the flaming blade and hopes to come out on top... and that some arrows strike true from behind.

Ivory Scimitar [1d20+1]=12+1=13 Damage [1d8+1]=4+1=5 (if fire) [1d4]=3
Ivory Scimitar [1d20+1]=3+1=4 Damage [1d8+1]=3+1=4 (if fire) [1d4]=3
Ivory Scimitar [1d20+1]=11+1=12 Damage [1d8+1]=8+1=9 (if fire) [1d4]=3
son of a...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Spearmint »

I have rolled three rounds ahead, it resulted in
Raust -4hp, Hag -1hp

The next three round see more javelins shafts hurled through the barred gate, both miss. On the sixth round the cumulative pressure breaks the Hold and the wolf and Wugs spill into the room.

Raust takes another wound, -3hp.

Actions give me three more scimitar melee attacks. I will then update with the macros and move to the next scene.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Spearmint »

yes, no one can hit for toffee!

Raust you third strike hits, -3hp.

Reinforcements come to the aid of the blinded druid. The wolf leaps, the Wugs leap further. Blill lands a critical blow, -10hp
which staggers the Hag. This time the slithering swarm is not larvae intent on feasting but the overwhelming press of Barrow Moor denizens.

The Orphidians pick up their javelins to flank her and in brutal fashion, the Hag is pierced by the multitude of barbed shafts. She utters a curse in her dying screams but the words are cut short as her throat is cut and she bleeds out in a pool of blood. With her death, her body crumbles into a swarm of scarab beetles that scuttle into numerous directions and her mottled robes morph into a bat like grotesque which flit out of the gate and away.
Raust, your blindness is only temporary, suffering the condition a few turns. Washing your face in the horn of holy water might cleanse the venom away.

Actions please.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

Holy cow.

Raust takes up the untouched goblet of holy water she placed on the ground and washes her eyes. She congratulations her companions, the goes to investigate the sarcaughigus.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Spearmint »

Poor martial skills, despite the summoning of a magic dagger from her casting of 'Spiritual Hammer', poor strikes mean that eventually advantage swings to the overwhelming numbers. Having already cast her Charm ability, Darkness, Commands, Hold Portal and spewing her venomous spittle, she has few offensive options bar a blade. The Hag is soon slain.

Chants in lisping forked tongues and croaks exalting "the Mistress, the Mistress" resound in the derelict chamber. Even Namma howls in response.

The blessed water helps dilute the blood poison. Eyes still raw but you can see. The strange death throes of the Hag aside, (Blill & Blenn can eat bugs quite happily and collect a few for Beaky), the Orphidians guard and search.

The barrow chamber is quite spartan, as described previously.
You get to see the room in a little more detail, the alcoves and corners have a few utensils that might be useful in sorcerous works; a cauldron, glass flasks, sprigs common and rare herbs, dead birds, implements of bone.
These are basic items, useful in your own spell research. You are disappointed to find her broomsticks are very ordinary too, her mirror reflects only what is viewed.
you are in a rectangle chamber, about 30'ft wide with the arched passage and cell door in the middle of this western wall. The room is about twice that long and has as its most defining feature, a large stone coffer set by the far east wall. The chamber is derelict in many ways, cold, uninviting, damp and lichen cover stones. Scattered in corners are the Hag's personal areas, a nest or mattress lined with furs; a corner of bones, antlers, carapaces.

The furs are wolf, so are some of the bones. The antlers and carapaces can be added to those portions already taken.

The Hag does have certain scribblings and notes, almost styled in cookbook fashion.

From 'of Gods & Magic thread
3rd-5th level spells are taught individually through agents of the deity such as elders, bishops, prophets
The 'cookbook' of Hag spells include an equivalent to the 3rd level druid spell: Summon Insects, which you could study in anticipation of any future advance to 3rd level.

The Hag also has a keg of bitter 'Hags-brew', a high proofed Moonshine spirit and a glass jar of honeyed syrup which under a sniff test and sip may equate to a typical healing potion. (2d4+2hp).

There is also a coffer in the room. Inspecting it, you see a skeleton, riddled with rot grubs. The skull has a grimy tiara. Several of the skeletons fingers have been amputated. Internal organs not eaten by worms look to have been surgically removed. The skeleton is robed in tattered garb, embroidered and fringed in intricate detail. However most alarming of all, a wooden stake hammered through the corpse's torso to pin her securely to the coffer bed.

Actions please

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

Thank you for pulling down the descriptions!

Raust gathers up the cookbook for herself, along with the honeyed syrup. invokes the enchantment to allow her to see the flow of magic in the area, looking to identify what of the items are magic, if the corpse and/or coffin glow with magic, etc.

She directs Bill and Blenn to search the room for any hidden passages or exits.

She directs the small orphidians to search the hag's nest and mattress and then begin bagging up all the useful mundane material for their return trip. The bow-wielding orphidians stand guard.

She ensures no one approaches the coffin but her and that NO ONE removes the stake...

...she will then pour a flask of holy water over the corpse.

Clarifications:
I have seen no other exits, doors, or tunnels. Just the stair down to the now-collapsed rafters, and the runed doorway to this burial room, which has alcoves but not exits. (If Bill and Blenn don't turn up any doors, I'll search as a half-elf before I leave.)

I'm adding the healing potion (2d4+2) and spell (Summon Insects) to my sheet.

I'm tracking that we're going to use carapaces to form some armor for Raust when we get back to the caves, and am assuming the other bones, antlers, and furs are for general Orphidian use rather than specific tracking for a useful purpose. Is that accurate?

Other mundane items being taken unclude the utensils for magical research, several broomsticks, a keg of moonshine for the troops, and a mirror. (Hey, even color items are useful out here away from town!) [Again, double-checking none of these are magical]

Thanks for indicating how she is to begin learning 3rd level spells... I was going to ask that. The entire Herne enclave was slaughtered (which started this quest), so how else should I have her go about acquiring spells? Can I pray for direct divine intervention in downtime? (Storywise, she was always a self-study.)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island, Hag Barrow.

There is a stink of death in the barrow with the deceased larvae leaking blood and guts in the first chamber and the remnants of beetles and the open coffer with rotting corpse in the other.

The staked skeleton does not have any reaction to the holy water. There might be a greater story in her regards but with the Hag's death and no apparent information pertaining to her except the inscriptions on the archway.

Interestingly, a note you may have overlooked
Why are you here? The elves come seeking wisdom and knowledge.
, who are these Elves and what wisdom and knowledge would a Hag have access to that they need?

A lot of the 'finds' have a mundane but useful purpose, adding to 'tribal' stock or just boosting your own ability to conduct future spell research. The magical stuff is noted already, the Hag probably has more innate enchanted ability so needs less in terms of implements or foci.
so how else should I have her go about acquiring spells?
3rd level plus are gained via divine intermediary, which in sn unorthodox faith has less 'ordained bishops' to look up to for mentorship. There are other druids in game that you could seek mentorship from or from key events such as you setting up more Herne culture within the Orphidians, that might then grant you 'a visitation, dream, epiphany' whatever. Being alone in the cave should not halt you gaining new spells.

There are no more secret or concealed doors in this complex. The coffer chamber is relatively sound and of stable build, dry. The larvae room was more derelict and with the Entangle casting, more prone to further collapse as is the entrance room at the top of the stairs. While a 'safe space' now, at some future point unless buttressed, the barrow will partially collapse in on itself.

You can camp here for the rest of the day if you wish or continue to explore the island.

You see no sign of the Hag having any ongoing contact with the aquatic ogres.

Let me know if you open the moonshine keg to share out now or later. just to keep you paranoid regarding even little inconsequential actions.

Actions please

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

After the final sweep of the rooms, Raust tells the wugs and orphidians to take the sacked mundane finds and go back up to the base camp above.

Seeing no magical emanations from the corpse, no reaction to holy water, and being unwilling to leave the staked corpse here for other hags to use for experiments, Raust will test cutting off sections of the corpse and burning them on the pyre outside, the staked heart being last. She will use the hags moonshine as an accelerant, if needed to ensure destruction of the corpse in entirety.

Spending the remainder of the day burning the corpse and refreshing the hunted game, they will stay overnight to refresh spells and hit points before exploring further.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Spearmint »

The actual 'base camp' is the other side of the river so I assume you mean just outside the entrance. If the first ante-chamber is carefully navigated, you can sleep in it as a dry location overnight.

Black Willow Island: random vs 1 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=3 [1d6]=4Black Willow Island: random vs 1 [1d6]=5 [1d6]=3 [1d6]=5

There are no encounters at all throughout the night from either Kruthik creatures or Aquatic Ogres. A wise choice to use the keg of moonshine, it burns very well and halts any unintended excessive drunken behaviour. The corpse is committed to a pyre. You get a strange feeling doing so, as if interfering with a wider scheme but you get no epiphany or insight. The corpse, despite the brutal stake does not animate as any undead might and no ghostly or haunting retributions happen. In fact, apart from buzzing gnats and biting ants, the camp is peaceful and you can replenish spells as desired.

The date the next day is actually June 22nd, which is the Summer Solstice. You will know festivities are underway in various Herne locations. The sunrise comes with a Herne Blessing, I will award the next allocation of xp.

Edit coming:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island experience awards.

Encounters.
Three Aquatic Ogres: (250xp x 2, 430xp x 1) 930xp

Four young Kruthik. (48xp x 4) 192xp

Larvae swarm. (15xp x 24) 360xp

Group total 1482 / character share & equal share to npc aides Wugs/Orphidians

So Raust achieves 494xp from 'shared encounters' plus

Barrow Hag: 656xp

Equating to: 1150xp plus 10% prb (115xp) meaning you get +1265xp bringing Raust to (3167 + 1150 = 4317xp / 8001xp, taking you to 3rd level.

On this special Herne festive day, you can level up under the rising of the sun. As as additional boon, with the Hag commanding Namma through 'wolf-speech', you get to replicate that as a specific active tongue (so to communicate to wolves you don't need to cast 'Speak with Animals') and with intensive study and prayerful research, that communication can be manifested into the Hold Animal druidic spell.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Marullus »

(The "base camp" was up at the entrance where I left the other half of my followers and the Axebeak. :) )

Burning the corpse and ensuring everyone has the chance to rest and regain their health, the group prepares to head onward. She cannot return without checking on Venywnn and Carca, which are more important than searching the island again for the last merrow. The group poles back across on their rafts and she heads in the direction of where she expected Venwynn to go... where they heard the wolf howl that might have been Carca...
Tracking [1d100]=8

Afterwards, she plans to return to the caverns, send word for chitin-smiths among the Bullywugs, spend time studying and reflecting on the power of Herne, and prepare for the next fortnight's tribute.

Please let me know updated hit points for everyone. She also recovers her spells. Her new hp are 18 / 18.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Spearmint »

Black Willow Island: Hag Barrow.

Black Willow Island: random vs 1 [1d6]=2 [1d6]=6 [1d6]=5

Careful to avoid unnecessary conflict with the super-bug Kruthiks, you take a circuitous route back to the hidden raft. Improving the structure slightly, the attempt is made to cross the fast flowing Merisc River, aiming for the opposite bank where you camped in Ogre watch the night before. Making it without issue or encounter, the aides proving able swimmers and punters to go with the flow and into the reed beds. Deciding to press on and follow in the footsteps of the scouting ranger Venwynn and animal companion Carca.

Barrow Moor: random vs 1 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=1 [1d6]=1

This was Venwynn's mission:
Venwyn and Carca show the way through the moor to the island, ensuring smooth arrival, the mists shrouding the overhead sun. They then go on their own mission which starts at dusk, to find an surveillance blind where they can remain hidden to observe-and-report on the Morlocks as they emerge and go about their nighttime activities... we must know more about what they are what they do.
Coming from this report:
Venwynn checks out down stream of the Merisc River. Keeping to the south bank, she and two Orphidians, the two seconded Bullywugs and a wolf companion trek about eight miles, (the distance of one Hex as the river meanders across), They report "that half way along they encountered a swarm of strange hybrids; crab like armoured Armadillos that hunted grubs and earthworms along the river bank. They were non-aggressive, cautious in nature. Later we came across several carcasses. These creatures had rolled themselves up in defence but had been slain and disembodied, just the empty shell and inedible portions left behind. It was not wild animals who killed them for the injuries appeared caused by weapons; spears, barbed arrows rather than claws or teeth. We looked for footprints but found none." They note the presence of bears and deer like tracks.
So you stick to the south riverbank, following the meandering waters downstream (the eight miles takes you on the regional map to the point where the hex line divides the ringed 12 hex with the moor hex).

At this point, a few hundred yards further downstream is a rock like edifice, at least 80'ft high, built in natural rocks upon the cliff embankment on the northern sides of the Merisc.

Pictured here:

Attachments
Silvanus Shrine
Silvanus Shrine
IMG_20230604_033134.jpg (950.31 KiB) Viewed 8431 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Spearmint »

At this point you find Venwynn hiding in a covered foxhole (or wolf-hole), observing the edifice.

She points to movement, a number of skittish figures hunt from the stone figure which has an arched entrance into presumed interior chambers by the right ankle.

"Wights, maybe half a dozen. They came out at night, to hunt and wail in the meadow nearby. During the day they shield from the sun, scuttling in the forest shadows to catch unwary deer or pluck roosting birds.

The river though keeps them separate. They have spied us and hollered but made no attempt to cross."

Not finding any 'morlocks', she has at least located a significant place. "Wights, with their life draining and chill touch, they are a formidable foe."

Out of range for any spell craft and all but the best of archers, the river keeps you apart, for which ranger and wolf are thankful. She has not seen any sign of the fleeing Aquatic Ogre, but many places on both sides of the river offer it suitable escape routes.

Venwynn : vs 50% [1d100]=48

You share reports of each others day's, watching the Wights flit over their lair. You wonder how such necrotic undead may free to roam in the place. Suddenly the ranger tenses and alert to other intruders, your eclectic band scatter for cover at her warning. The Wugs can take to immerse themselves, quickly diving into the waters. The Orphidians branch out, arrows swiftly knocked, javelins braced. The wolves tense, eliciting small growls. You cannot see anyone though for the forest fringe is deep and dark.

Birdcalls, or rather birdlike; an echo or response. Unseen figures flanking you but none intrude close enough to be seen. A twig snap, a rustle of the breeze in branches, a sudden flight of a startled or disturbed bird. You dismount Beaky, reining her close.

Actions

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

Question: I can identify all animals as a 3rd level Druid. Can I identify the birds by their calls? Or that they're not-birds, but communicating with fake calls?

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”