Ch. 2: Into The Tomb of Horrors

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Into The Tomb of Horrors

#261 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa / asp fight

The half orc leaps on top of the nearest chest, positioning her large shield at the bottom edge to create a 5' wall against any approaching asp. She'll thrust around the shield with her trident if any asp is in range. Her hope is the snakes, being asps not cobras, cannot effectively rear up and if so will encounter the side of the chest and large shield bottom.
Trident Attack [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21, Damage S/M [1d6+7] = 3+7 = 10, Damage L [3d4+6] = 8+6 = 14
3/2 attacks - if I get my second attack in the first round:
Trident Attack [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10, Damage S/M [1d6+7] = 1+7 = 8, Damage L [3d4+6] = 3+6 = 9
According to wikipedia, asps in the real world are only 2' long. Their poison is not painful, you just get sleepy and die.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Zhym »

A couple of things re: Grognardsw's post:
The snakes that were on you will still get an attack if you jump to the chest. No one explicitly said that they had closed the first chest (all three chests are open now, which you may not have known, joining recently), but I'll allow an assumption that the chest was closed again. And you can have both attacks this round; I'll count multiple attack rounds by round, not attack (simpler that way).

And these are the rare Gygaxian asps (vipera gygaxis), which are larger than your real-world asps.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#263 Post by zebediah »

Given the druid's current position, with active snakes attacking him, he will continue fighting back. Attack rolls were already indicated in my previous post, I'll quote it here for ease of reference.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by max_vale »

Xale and Malvexa continue to stoically wield their weapons in typical Dwarven grim silence; doing their best to help end the threat of the venomous serpents as quickly as possible....

Malvexa swings her battleaxe at the nearest Asp (#4) while Xale attempts to use his Hammer to smash the two aflame snakes nearest him (Asps 2 & 12)...

Malvexa's Attack roll (straight d20 no modifiers): [1d20] = 15

(For a Level 0 follower; that hits AC 6 or better)

Damage roll (1d8+1 for STR 16): [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4

Xale's attack rolls (d20+6 for Double Spec., +2 Hammer and STR 17):

url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... e&id=17030]
[1d20+6] = 2+6 = 8[/url]

and: [1d20+6] = 8+6 = 14

If either of those hit; here's the damage roll (d4+7): [1d4+7] = 2+7 = 9

and: [1d4+7] = 3+7 = 10
Last edited by max_vale on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Zhym »

I'm waiting to see if Mason will jump into the fray and if Fosco will do anything, then I'll post the next round.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#266 Post by Nuke66 »

Mason will attempt to speak with the snakes, from the safety of his perch.

"Hold your bites, you can leave in peace."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Zhym »

jdluna doesn't seem to post on Friday nights (or hasn't since July), so I'm going to go ahead and post this. If jdluna shows up and posts tonight, I'll update the round. I wanted to get this posted tonight because I won't be on tomorrow, except possibly in the early morning.
Everything happens at once.

While Malibran desperately intones the words neutralis venominus that would purify the poison flowing through his veins, he is attacked by the two burning snakes, which are also under attack from Xale. Even as the snakes die from both hammer and flame, Malibran feels the now too-familiar sensation of fangs in his flesh. His concentration broken, the spell fails. That both snakes are dead is little consolation to the doomed cleric of Pholtus.

Zoster strikes at an asp that had been attacking Worren. The asp bites Zoster as the druid bashes the snake twice, killing it [-1 hp; save v. poison at -2]. Zoster's wolf friend continues fighting an asp. The wolf's powerful jaws chomp down on the snake, but too far down the snake's length. The snake coils around and bites the wolf on the neck [-1 hp; save v. poison at -2].

Worren tries to cast magic missile as another snake bites his leg. The asp's fangs break through Worren's robes into his shin, interrupting his spell [-1 hp; save v. poison at -2].

Elsa's trident pierces a snake as it strikes at her. The snake is dead, but Elsa is bitten [-1 hp; save vs. poison at -2]. Another snake bites Malvexa [-1 hp; save vs. poison at -2], who tries to chop the asp in two. She hits the snake and Elsa's trident finishes it off. Elsa jumps to the top of the nearest chest, hoping to fend off any further snake attacks.

Mason remains in the safety of his perch. He hisses at the snakes, asking them in their language to stop attacking. He gets no response. Perhaps his words mean little in the midst of combat, or perhaps the snakes would have refused to follow his instructions under the best of circumstances. Who can know?

Malibran, Fosco, and Halbrad succumb to the effects of the poison. The poison is deadly but gentle: each victim simply passes out of consciousness and falls to the floor, dead.

Three snakes remain.

Worren, Zoster, Elsa, Wolf, Malvexa: please roll saves vs. poison at -2.
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 5.52.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 5.52.57 PM.png (235.26 KiB) Viewed 632 times
A really bad round for the party, I'm afraid, aside from removing five snakes. The snakes had only two misses vs. six hits on rolls of 20, 6, 18, 19, 10, 1, 13, and 16. Hopefully the saving throws will go better this round.

Status: Xale (F8/C8): 53/54; Malvexa (F0): 5/6; Elsa (F10): 57/58; Zoster (F9/D12): 74/76; Wolf: 11/12; Malibran (C10): Dead (53/68); Worren (C9/MU11): 52/53; Halbrad (F10): Dead (60/61); Mason (Mk10): 34/56; Fosco (T12): Dead (26/48)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#268 Post by zebediah »

Zoster's save:

[1d20] = 3

Wolf's save:

[1d20] = 19

Feeling the poison burn following the snakebite Zoster tries to cast Neutralize poison on himself.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa / on chest

Elsa growls in anger as she dispatches two asps and leaps to hopeful safety on top of the chest, positioning her large shield against the top edge of the chest. She feels a wave of sleepiness begin but shakes it off in rage.

Elsa yells at the monk to fire a missile weapon.
Save - 14 - http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... e&id=17048
Edited for a question: did the snakes hit by the oil take any additional damage that could reduce their final number?

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#271 Post by jdluna »

Thanks guys, it was fun while it lasted. Good luck the rest of the way.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Zhym »

Grognardsw wrote:Edited for a question: did the snakes hit by the oil take any additional damage that could reduce their final number?
All of the asps that were hit by oil are dead.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#273 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:Worren tries to cast magic missile as another snake bites his leg. The asp's fangs break through Worren's robes into his shin, interrupting his spell [-1 hp; save v. poison at -2].
Did an asp previously strike Worren and miss? His cloak of displacement causes an automatic miss and thereafter +2 ac (I forgot to put the +2 into his base ac, so understand if Worren doesn't get its benefit now.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Zhym »

Yes, he was attacked and missed in round 1:
Worren, too, is able to avoid two deadly asp strikes.
I took the AC adjustment from the cloak into account. Worren's AC with the cloak is 7, yes?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by NJWilliam »

Zhym wrote:Yes, he was attacked and missed in round 1:
Worren, too, is able to avoid two deadly asp strikes.
I took the AC adjustment from the cloak into account. Worren's AC with the cloak is 7, yes?
Yup, that's right.
Unlucky save for Worren:

Worren Save v. Poison (7): [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4

Aghast at the feeling of the venom spreading through his veins, Worren will cast Neutralize Poison on himself.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#276 Post by zebediah »

zebediah wrote:Zoster's save:

[1d20] = 3

Wolf's save:

[1d20] = 19

Feeling the poison burn following the snakebite Zoster tries to cast Neutralize poison on himself.
Btw, the wolf attacks again while Zoster casts his spell:

Wolf companion (2HD+2) - To hit: [1d20] = 2, Damage (s/m): [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2, Damage (L): [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by max_vale »

Malvexa snarls at the pain of the bite wound; but notices that the snake that bit her has been killed; so she steps over its body and slashes her Battleaxe at the next closest serpent that stills lives (Asp 11).....

Xale steps over his fallen companions and the snakes he just smashed and moves towards the foul reptile that threatens Worren (Asp 6) and swings his hammer a couple of times attempting to crush it into a pulpy ruin...

OOC: Okay; seriously Mr. DM...what the hell kinda deal did you make with the Die Roller? We're dropping like flies; only person to make a Saving Throw is the DOG? And 6 out of 9 snakes make their Hit rolls? That CAAAANNNNN'TTTTT be the result of "random" rolling! :)

Malvexa's Save: 1d20+3 (Dwarf with CON 13) vs. Saving Throw vs. Poison # 16:
[1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18

Malvexa's attack roll: Straight d20: [1d20] = 17

Hits AC 4 or higher

Damage if hit scored: 1d8+1 (Battleaxe and STR 16): [1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2

Xale's first attack: (1d20+6 for Double Specialization, Hammer +2 and STR 17):[1d20+6] = 10+6 = 16

Xale's second attack: (1d20+6 for Double Specialization, Hammer +2 and STR 17): [1d20+6] = 20+6 = 26

Damage if first attack hits: (1d4+7 for Double Specialization, Hammer +2 and STR 17): [1d4+7] = 4+7 = 11

Damage if second attack hits: (1d4+7 for Double Specialization, Hammer +2 and STR 17): [1d4+7] = 4+7 = 11

Oh SURE; NOW my rolls are good...after I call out the DM on his illegal; back-room deal with the die-roller! :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Zhym »

Update much later tonight or tomorrow morning. Can I get an initiative roll?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Not sure if that call for a roll was for anybody or somebody in particular; but here's a d6 roll: [1d6] = 5

If that was meant for somebody else; my apologies and please just delete this post! :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Zhym »

That's fine; I just needed an initiative roll for the party and didn't want to roll it myself. Too important.

Return to “Party 1”