Tracks In The Desert

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Tracks In The Desert

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That Way

After a tenuous day of bartering for supplies, Xenos has his group ready to head out into the desert, following the tracks they found at the Oasis, hoping to find the rumored lost Ixian warlord fortress.

The slaves welcome the group back with thanks and nods of acknowledgment when they return to the squalid mud hole, causing Snorri to wonder what his new friends did to earn such thanks.

Looking over the tracks again, they still lead deeper into the desert, and again the slaves don’t admit they know anything about them. They crest a distant sandy hill before disappearing into the haze of the Zakath.

Actions?

Xenos
Akhilleus
Drest
Cyril
Snorri
Valkrina

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Tracks In The Desert

#2 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"I wonder if is worth trying to hire one of Yuti or Yuri as a guide? Can slaves be hired (or bought? traded?). We never got to meet any slave masters. They must be trustworthy to a level as they haven't taken their shackles off yet or run away."

It is a thought she shares with the group. She has no other ideas but checks that no further leviathan have been lurking in the watering holes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I recognize slavery as an uncomfortable premise to discuss for a lot of us, so I understand why this subject hasn’t been breached yet.

These slaves you met at the oasis are already employed by the wealthy citizens of Xambaala, so none will agree to go with you from here. The Esquimaux-Ixian native peoples you have seen hiding among the dilapidated and buried buildings of the Old City are likely deserters who have fled their masters.

You haven’t seen any market activity regarding the trade or purchase of slaves, but you can assume it happens periodically.

I think the biggest hurdle in dealing with the slaves so far was the language barrier.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"The slaves aren't free to obtain work on their own and I am sure if they tried they would be punished by their owners, most likely very severely." for a moment a dark look passes over Xenos's face, but he shakes it off "... and I wouldn't buy a slave even if I could afford to." he looks in the direction of the trail "....I am happy to take the lead to start, but maybe we should rotate."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I will take the lead, that is my job. Lets do this."

He tries to follow the tracks and keep them heading in the correct direction.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"Fine. Let's go."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by The_Wanderer »

Cyril is quietly observant as the party of adventurers sets out into the desert.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Tamerlaine »

Snorri grunts and with his massive axe on his shoulder starts with the others into the desert.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Sure. I think the slaves probably know there is a lot of risk in escaping across the desert and beyond basic labour, mining and such, some might even ascend to some kind of social status?

In the back of her mind is the strange cleric woman who healed up Kang and seemed to be a devotee of Kthulhu. Not sure that bodes well if the slaves are mixed up with that cult. And suspected cannibals too.

Keeping thoughts to herself, she follows the tracks with the others.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I forgot to confront the healing needs of the group in my push to get this started.

Anyone who was injured will regain one Hit Die (rolled) + Con bonus for resting comfortably for 8 hours. (maximum of 1/day)

Please post those rolls here in the game thread so we all get the hang of this rule.

Thanks!
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Drest

I think Drest is all healed up, but in case I have it wrong.

Healing rest [1d6+1]=1+1=2

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Karaunios »

Akhi is at maximum hp.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That Way

Valkrina doesn't spot any new threats making a home in the scummy waterhole of the Oasis. The Esquimaux makes a suggestion about acquiring one of the slaves to help them, an idea Xenos is quick to shut down.

They head out as a group of six, with Drest in the lead position, as is his way. The tracks in the sand are easy enough to follow, and threats are likely to be minimal on such a well used path. But then you remember that this is Hyperborea.

Following the tracks for about a half hour, they eventually lead over a high dune in the distance, while another strange sight is spotted in some darker sand to one side of the path. The strange pattern in the sand covers an area about 30’x30’.
A0639F01-C65F-4630-8EB2-F6B704C0D8B0.jpeg
A0639F01-C65F-4630-8EB2-F6B704C0D8B0.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 902 times
Actions?

Xenos
Akhilleus
Drest
Cyril
Snorri
Valkrina

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Does anyone recognize what this might mean? It looks like some sort of symbol to me. It may indicate we are on the right track but it would be nice to know exactly what it means."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus looks at Xenos.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Xenos shrugs

"I have no idea. A tree?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Looks at the sign. "A snowflake design. Esquimaux, from the bay probably. Thoughts of home?" she says in lieu of any better suggestions.

In case it means, 'angry stick men', like those cannibals on Mu, she readies her spear. In case it means 'quicksand ahead', she makes sure to be in the back half of the file as we trek along.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Tamerlaine »

“Why draw this alongside path?” Snorri asks out loud. “A symbol, a message for others. A danger ahead? The path safe? Us Vikings use rock piles and stones marked with tunes. Of scratching in sand I have no understanding.”

”Without knowing, we should be ready for worst.”

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"You say your people do it on stones. These people have done it on sand, which isn't meant to last for long with the wind and all. Maybe they're expecting visitors soon. Maybe we're to expect them from behind us. Coming the same way we came."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Perhaps, but we should keep moving. The tracks could get lost to the wind any time."

He continues to track.

Return to “Completed Missions”