Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

#321 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I second the Brother's sentiment, Geomalji, I would call you friend if you'll have it such. I am not surprised you are a right stout-hearted fellow - our peoples have oft found good relations.
He proceeds with the others back to the audience with the Chief, keeping a wary eye for lurking predators with X-bow in hand.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#322 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"I have respect for your work and skill, friend Geomalji. I must work on my stamina. There are wonders here both good and bad.

Durgo tries to keep it all together taking notes on directions, passages, dangers, and those bodies left behind.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Spearmint »

Another audience with Chief Trakratos.

scripting this over coffee and before dinner ... will edit shortly
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Spearmint »

"Perhaps we can trade after all. If you can get me a sack of crystal rocks, it will demonstrate your skill and fortitude in mining. In return I can give you equal weight in silver and your assayers can prove the quality of our work." Trakratos offers a feasible test and a way to get some refined silver that might be the initial gateway to trade arrangements.
You have almost three hours of combined labour and between everyone, manage to harvest three large sacks of heavy geodes and each character can clutch a small one.
The group return without further trouble though exhausted by the trekking. As customary, water and basic refreshments are served and after a clean up, you can be ushered once more into an audience with the Svirfneblin chief. Trakratos sits atop his coveted meteorite, almost settled into a 'lotus blossom' repose, cross legged and eyes closed as if meditating or communing with the unseen.

While a portion of your mining is kept as reward for your own labours, the other sacks are poured out and the geodes examined. You can share testimony of the dangers, as much or as little as you see fit though Chief Trakratos might already been fully aware of the kind of dangers that lie in the 'haunted caverns'. Geojimali translates as necessary, playing down his involvement.

you should have gained a perception at least that the Foreman has demonstrated 'cleric' based powers and from Brother Symeon's noticing the runes on the burial crypt seal and the statue in the Sinkhole Forest, that a devotion to ancient 'Deep Ones' is still quite active.

The geodes weigh anything from a single pound to round lumps that weigh a score or more. The sack burgeoning at the seams. True to his commitment to offer equal silver ore in exchange, argentiferous quartz rocks lined with thick veins of silver ore are presented to you to examine.

"These were dug from the volcanic vaults, the purity is high and once extracted will make fine jewelry pieces." He fills your sacks with silver ore nuggets processed from such excavated rocks.

On a straight comparison to how much the crystals contained in each geode are worth and the value of gemstone end products versus the silver ore, the difference favours the crystal minerals possibly in the region of a fourfold multiplication. However the silver ore is more prized by the church on the basis of its ability to counter iron resistant creatures. Plus, the mining of the silver ore seems a less risky proposition to undertake (unless you were the Svirfneblin killed by the summoned elemental). A solid silver ingot, usually a 2lb bar is valued at 200sp/10gp. The nuggets need further processing to turn into ingots so it is not equal in terms of cash value but striking a deal to have a reliable source of silver might be invaluable in the long run.

And the talk turns to trade negotiations. The Chief suggests that by summer's end, you could return with a caravan of mules (say half a dozen and each mule is generally capable of carrying up to to 600lbs at half speed), so approximately three and a half tons of silver ore capacity and in return he lists various goods that the community needs. There is a little bartering, what might be achievable; edibles, livestock and tools less of a problem than importing weapons. But a parchment is scrawled and his adds a waxed signet ring and signature to commit to his end of the bargain. "We can always supply the gnolls if you don't favour us" he comments. The intricacies don't need to go too deep here for others can take the trade forward as npc's unless you want in on the deals and actually build a mining/slash trade company as a character side hustle as part of your character world building.

For Fydmar, you have another specific interest for the geode crystals are a root energy source for empowering your Construct rebuild. This might be something you can tap in to or have Moony your aide focus on.

While you have not collected multiple spools of spider silk, one of the original main aims of the expedition, you have at least obtained favour from two mining tribes, the Xvarts and the Svirfneblin. There are still a multitude of mysteries unexplained in the now not-so-abandoned mine. Much to think upon.

It has been a long day. The characters and miners can camp over night, given a cave hovel to lay their bed mats or you can camp under the night sky in the forest. Ever wary, a precautionary guard is set ready for any sign of betrayal. In the end you sleep peaceably and can recover in the morning hours, Brother Symeon taking devotional time to appropriate his prayer-spells of choice.

actions: Fydmar, Durgo, Symeon anything I have missed or you would like to comment upon or ask further information about?

Ready for the trek back to Helix?
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#325 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Ready for the trek back. Fydmar doesn't have any desire to be the focal point for these trade enterprises. Leave that to whatever NPCs want the job, as far as he's concerned. Just the establishment of relations ought to be worth something. He will bring some geodes back to Moony.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#326 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo is ready for the trip back.

"Supply the gnolls you say. You probably get your hand bit or worse dealing with them. You'll find us much better partners. Do the gnolls trek here much? Do they have a pack nearby?

"Brother Symeon this was more your quest, so I'd yield to you or perhaps partner with you. Since it appears Fydmar is set on moving on."

"I am interested in making this a routine run."

Privately with Fydmar and Brother Symeon

"I will pursue this for Lord Krothos, St. ygg and my goal of knighthood. I'd like to get detailed maps made for the route to and from here. All of the caves need to be mapped that are not off limits. If we're lucky what's left after the silver is extricated might be valuable too."

If it's with Brother Symeon. Durgo yields the proposal.

If its Durgo on his own
"Chief, I'll need some time to set up the trade and get the supplies you're interested in. How long before you can get the load of silver in place for pickup?
We can set up the trade so we don't arrive any sooner than when you'd be ready, but we may need a bit more time on our end so it could be a bit later. If you're agreeable to that.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#327 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon is content to return to Helix for now and arrange a larger expedition to more silver.

We have our prize in hand and a foundation for acquiring for more. A job well done. We had best turn our energy toward arranging a successful return at summer's end.

"The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few"

Symeon prepare 3 Cure Light Wounds and 1 Light
Still injured from yesterday's combat, he immediately casts 1 Cure Light Wounds on himself
Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=6
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking back to Helix

Sealing a deal and getting itchy feet to start moving, the group gather. You have a choice. The Svirfneblin can accompany you back through the caverns to the 'tunnel of fear'. They won't go through it. Then you navigate you way back via the cavern of stone pillars (where you ate the cave carp), Xvart camp, Waterfall cave (with salamanders), past the stagnant pool (with ghosts in it according to Meatloaf), down the passages and past the petrified miner and out into the abandoned quarry.

Or ... take the 'chimney to heaven'. Geojimali shows you through a cave hovel that opens into a small chamber. Dug into the walls are steep steps, I mean really steep! and a flimsy looking rope handrail. It extends up and up, climbing almost vertically at points until it scales the top of the Sinkhole. A natural chimney type phenomena and you are looking up the flue.

"At the top is an old winch and platform. It could be lowered to take up BabeRuth and any cargo."

any preference?
Attachments
Sinkhole Chimney steps
Sinkhole Chimney steps
IMG_20230504_040552.jpg (130.37 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#329 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo comments, "I'd have to say this actually might be safer. What lies at the top? Whose territory is it and the surrounding area. Are there any known creatures that call the area home? The direction back to helix from the top would be helpful. We could probably extrapolate the direction from our paths we took to get down here and the sun's path. The route up above may be easier for the donkeys to deliver the goods and we'd need to know the path back."
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#330 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Votes chimney to heaven unless there is some danger at the top or nearby.
DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#331 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Agreed friends. This chimney may be an important opportunity to secure an alternate route.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Spearmint »

The rock walls must tower above you by at least five hundred feet before opening out to clear sky.

Dug into the walls are steep steps, I mean really steep! and a flimsy looking rope handrail. It extends up and up, climbing almost vertically at points until it scales the top of the Sinkhole. A natural chimney type phenomena and you are looking up the flue.
Geojimali describes the ground above, being forested hillsides, probably a mile or two away from the exposed chalk cliff of the abandoned quarry. Nomadic gnolls tribes who habit some ruins "over the hills' occasionally trade, bringing food and textiles or furs in exchange for gems and ore. They only use the chimney sparingly, perhaps once or twice a season. He shuffles his feet. There is no hint of betrayal but attempting to climb the stairs unaided could be a death trap. You can climb a rope's length high but beyond that looks a very difficult task, stone steps crumble under your feet and handrails pull loose of their fixtures. Trying encumbered with tools, backpacks, sacks, weapons is impossible, you need two free hands and feet as secure as hinds upon the mountain.

You have some rope, lengths of sticky filaments, enough wedging spikes and hammers to belay a more secure route. Halfway up his a thin ledge that suffices as a resting point that could be used to split the climb into two sections.

actions I would like you to make a series of Dexterity based checks and between you, describe how you might secure the climb using any skills, creative means.

actions, post 4 x 4d6 vs Dex as an unmodified check, your actions may give each person a d6 bonus per skill applied.
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#333 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Seems like a really easy "climb walls" to me. Fydmar takes rope and spikes and secures some better hand holds as he climbs to the top. Then lowers platform down with winch to bring their stuff up. Could also use the platform as a secondary safety measure, bringing it up just below the climber (just in case). He will bring this up with the guys taking whatever modifications they seem fit and barring serious disagreement, will climb to the top.
Climb walls [1d100]=2
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#334 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo takes off his armor and gear to load up with the donkey and silver. Using his strength and taking breaks along the way to rest his hand as he needs he'll use the path Fydmar used with the spikes and rope to help keep him on the wall safely. He'll have his boot knife which is secured in his boot safely for weapon and utility.

DEX 13

[4d6]=12

[4d6]=17

[4d6]=6

[4d6]=20
DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#335 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon will wait until the others are off of the rock face to reduce the chance of being struck by loose stone. Then, similar to Durgo, he will load his gear onto Babe and follow the route pioneered by Fydmar, stopping wherever possible to recover his strength. If possible, Symeon will tether himself by rope to the lifting platform as a secondary safety measure, as suggested by Fydmar.

"And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone"

[4d6]=13, [4d6]=13, [4d6]=18, [4d6]=17 vs 12 Dex
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#336 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo takes any instruction provided and applies it as best he can.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Spearmint »

Svirfneblin Sinkhole.

Stairway to Heaven.

Fydmar decides to go 'cave critter', scuttling up the sheer walls of the interior passage, hugging the rockface and neatly balancing upon the crumbling rise of steps, too numerous to count. Every 50'ft he stops, hammers in a safety spike to secure loose rail fixtures or tie ends of fraying ropes into a non-slip knot that can be relied upon.

He belays Durgo behind him while Brother Symeon patiently waits for a signal to advance. The quartet of miners sort out the gear and BabeRuth. Geojimali watches. There are no threats, the only present danger one of falling. It takes an hour to secure a route up one flight of steps before the trio advance of the lip of the shaft and into a walled platform. At the back a rickety looking wooden platform, no more than several logs nailed together and bound in thick coils of strong creeper vines. It is secured to a pulley system and a log installed to a winch which when wound, raises or lowers the platform to the ground.

Prudently you can check the area around the stone platform out and the mechanism. On a casual check, the raft like platform seems solid and free of rotten wood or loosened planks. Not sure how effective communication can be between those at the top and bottom. On a very crude level, scribbling on a parchment and wrapping it around an arrow or rock to drop works as long as heads don't get in the way.

You also see that the surrounding area has been recently trespassed judging by a number of dung piles which look rather canine in production. Hyenas or wolves rather than humanoid Gnolls, but the presence can be taken as a forewarning of a cautious trek.

Fydmar: climb walls & belay rope [1d100]=68 [1d100]=78 [1d100]=39 [1d100]=39 each 100'ft secured after the first.

Blackened Forest: random encounter vs 1 [1d6]=6 Gnoll rangers 1-2 [1d6]=6

Trusting in the rickety equipment to be sincere, you lower the platform over the edge and between the trio take turns to crank the handle. It is exhausting work but refreshed from other labours, Durgo with his 'atlas' physique can take the strain more than most.

Once down and loaded, the platform can be raised. BabeRuth & Meatloaf ascending first and then the miners and excess baggage next. Platform performance vs 1 [1d6]=2 vs 1-2 [1d6]=3 vs 1-3 [1d6]=2

Just as well no third ascent is needed for the strain is too much and frays appear in the stretched taut ropes, the hemp line tearing and sagging the platform at a dangerous angle on one side. Fixing it can be left to a return visit or the maintenance engineers of the Svirfneblin.

Trekking back to Helix

June 16th 1066.

Cutting a route south to follow the ridge towards the Chalk Quarry then picking up the trail south through the woods, over hollow and creek until breaking out onto the western trade route and the last few miles of level ground into Helix.

Blackened Forest: random encounter vs 1 [1d6]=4 Gnoll rangers 1-2 [1d6]=4 Trek to Helix [1d6]=4[1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=4

And with no encounters generated, I am happy to conclude this expedition with your safe return to Helix.

my apologise. I started this expedition thinking lots of quick posts and be done, there and back within a month a most!

Actions post any concluding remarks here. I will bring a summary and award some expedition. Division of treasure is usually a player character choice. You can also discuss going forward with keeping any trade deals, other explorations of the Quarry and Mine, reports back to the church and even Bogart, the ghost ridden dwarf.

You can each post in the Brazen Strumpet tavern thread and other Settlement locations as neccessary.
Last edited by Spearmint on Fri May 12, 2023 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Spearmint »

Silk & Silver expedition summary:

A few scattered encounters but each adds to community knowledge and world building. Few treasure though the geode value has worth.

Encounters:

Meet with Ogryn and 'Spoonie's ghost'. Talk with him but decline campfire fellowship. +50xp

Harvest spool of spider silk from Orb Weaver. +50xp

Locate petrified miner, cave of Centipedes, escape Cockatrice cavern. +100xp

Rescue Meatloaf from stagnant pool. (Water Wights) +50xp

Waterfall Cavern: slay four Salamanders, discover Cave Fisher filament. +440xp

Destroy Xvart guardian, (animated statue)+180xp. Discover Xvart miners, trade with Carkdenkeinon. +100xp

Cave of pebble pillars, taste cave carp, encounter tunnel of fears. +50xp

Slay Crypt Shade, discover Svirfneblin Settlement, audience with Chief Trakratos. +200xp

Defeat & escape Will O'Wisp, locate Crystal Caves, harvest geodes. +920xp, +200xp

Trade for silver ore, agree trade agreement. Climb and secure 'Stairway to Heaven'. +50xp

Return Silk gathering gear to Valeron, report back findings to Church of St Ygg. +50xp

Total experience awards: 2430xp / 3 full character shares (miners joined on mercenerary contract conditions). = 810 xp, each character is blessed with +10% (81) prime requisite bonus from high class attributes and each player receives a bonus +100xp as the player expedition participation award.

Total experience awards:

Brother Symeon +991xp
Durgo. +991xp
Fydmar +991xp

I have added these to my private and public records. Please add to your character sheet and let me know of any discrepancy.

Congratulations to Durgo who advances to 2nd level. Please adjust changes on your sheet, THAC0 improves as I use the variable progression. Roll for new hit points.

I will summarise any trove collected with an edit.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Spearmint »

Silk & Silver: expedition treasure trove:

Not much collected. A single spool of Orb Weaver spider silk which garners +10gp from Valeron, who adds the meagre amount to the weaving looms for processing into usable silken thread. Fydmar can claim back his tavern spend and this could cover the return to town binge.
The Svirfneblin gardener gives you are few cuttings.
The cuttings are off the ancient bamboo and tall trees from the Sinkhole Forest.
He snaps a finger and a couple of minions come bearing the silvered platters upon which are the servings of Svirfneblin food. They empty the food into one huge pile and present the silverware out as a token or gift for you to take, presumably in Thanksgiving for the help at the crypt.
Each character takes one platter, each is inscribed with geometric designs and worth circa 20-30gp if sold.
While a portion of your mining is kept as reward for your own labours, the other sacks are poured out and the geodes examined.
Each character has 'a small sack of geodes' as a personal claim. The geodes have a random worth. A small sack contains 40lbs in weight of rock which could yield dusty, worthless crystal grains or precious crystals worth hundreds of gold as base uncut gems. Fydmar has +1 rock, ine extra taken from the Will O'Wisp cave.

I will deal with individual values via character posts in the Rosy Quartz.
He fills your sacks with silver ore nuggets processed from such excavated rocks.
Three large sacks of silver ore nuggets. In need of further refining but subject to a post in the Chapel thread, could be given to the church. I think Durgo offered to work out the ongoing trade as a side hustle to adventuring. So how that goes forward can be character driven.

actions: not much. The mercenerary miners have been paid in advance and take a half share of treasure, which comes from dividing the final large sack of geodes between them. As far as ongoing contracts, you can negotiate via the Mercenerary guild for any future labour if needed. (They are listed as 'torchbearer' status, so hired for camp duty, portering or mining rather than martial skills).

any questions regarding treasures?
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#340 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Cave Fisher filament?
How much Cave fisher filament did we get and was there enough for each of us to get a short piece while selling the rest at Helix or did we decide on something different for it? I wasn't sure what we did with it.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”