Introductions (Day 1)

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Introductions (Day 1)

#141 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The pair that you accosted warily leave the Hotel.

After a brief drink at the bar, Rradzoka, Daehaggzoegr and his crew and Denghez see Yeelau enter, accompanied by an absolutely giant...Well it can only be a bear!

You've seen pictures, but the size and odour seem to go straight to some primeval centre of your brains. You find your hackles rising and a distinct feeling of concern for your well being!

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#142 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau takes notice of the negative reaction " Calm down, Fellas, Hes a gunner, hopefully, one of a few that we need to hire. Hes no threat to anyone here."

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by cybersavant »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 am Sazqelmiqariepr "Thanks for the offer, but i need to save the few funds i have left." He sends a text to Captain Rradzoka asking where they should meet up.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:27 am Yeelau takes notice of the negative reaction " Calm down, Fellas, Hes a gunner, hopefully, one of a few that we need to hire. Hes no threat to anyone here."
Brynvadur looks stoic* in the face of the reaction If they don't want me, just let me know and I'll look elsewhere. Again.

*A vargrproporphism - what's he's actually feeling is anyone's guess!

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by The Bindoner »

#141 Post by BackworldTraveller » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 am

Rradzoka addresses Daehaggzoegr: Didn’t seem worth the trouble of trying to strong-arm them, after all. I’ve got an ID, they’re just freelancers on a contract. Know they’re spotted too, so I doubt we’ll see them here again.

Might be worth following them though, just so they don’t think we don’t care.

Your crew came in a vehicle, why not use it to tail them?

Rradzoka uses his comm to access the datanet and look up “Zagoedzang Usue, Thief Taker and Informer “

#144 Post by BackworldTraveller » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:36 am
Demilich wrote: ↑Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 am Yeelau takes notice of the negative reaction " Calm down, Fellas, Hes a gunner, hopefully, one of a few that we need to hire. Hes no threat to anyone here."
Brynvadur looks stoic* in the face of the reaction If they don't want me, just let me know and I'll look elsewhere. Again

Rradzoka masters his initial threat-response and attempts a smile:

Hey, hold up, I’m not turning sophonts who want to work for me away. Especially not huge intimidating ones. Might need to strong-arm someone soon.

Big gunner. Barbette, not turret, right? Any good in Low-G? We’re doing deep-space salvage. Someone your size’d be an asset, if they could move around in a dead ship.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:58 pm
#141 Post by BackworldTraveller » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 am

Rradzoka addresses Daehaggzoegr: Didn’t seem worth the trouble of trying to strong-arm them, after all. I’ve got an ID, they’re just freelancers on a contract. Know they’re spotted too, so I doubt we’ll see them here again.

Might be worth following them though, just so they don’t think we don’t care.

Your crew came in a vehicle, why not use it to tail them?
I guess they can do that. He instructs his team and they head off
The Bindoner wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:58 pm Rradzoka uses his comm to access the datanet and look up “Zagoedzang Usue, Thief Taker and Informer “
Zagoedzang has a surprisingly low media presence - occasionally tagged by the same small group of individuals (who are mostly family of other law-enforcement officers). He's made the news a couple of times (minor incidents resolved) and advertises his business as "Competent and Effective".
For the conversation, you'd say that he's cool under pressure has been around the block for some time.
The Bindoner wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:58 pm
#144 Post by BackworldTraveller » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:36 am
Demilich wrote: ↑Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 am Yeelau takes notice of the negative reaction " Calm down, Fellas, Hes a gunner, hopefully, one of a few that we need to hire. Hes no threat to anyone here."
Brynvadur looks stoic* in the face of the reaction If they don't want me, just let me know and I'll look elsewhere. Again

Rradzoka masters his initial threat-response and attempts a smile:

Hey, hold up, I’m not turning sophonts who want to work for me away. Especially not huge intimidating ones. Might need to strong-arm someone soon.

Big gunner. Barbette, not turret, right? Any good in Low-G? We’re doing deep-space salvage. Someone your size’d be an asset, if they could move around in a dead ship.
Weapons Stations - Imperial Navy (as was). And yea - I can do Low-G.
He looks at Rradzoka carefully.
So, you'll keep me on?
When this isn't a negative, he looks almost pathetically relieved. You also realise that he's slimmer than you'd have thought (almost gaunt). Clearly the IM Jump Suit was for a larger bear.
Will you guys be eating soon?
He never even asked about pay!
Last edited by BackworldTraveller on Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Demilich »

We have snacks your welcome to, the actual next meal time, is, currently unknown." Yeelau replies to the bear, as she looks over at the financiers, hoping they will provide a meal. :SAN:

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by BackworldTraveller »

As the group discusses the arrival of such a large creature in the group, Sazqelmiqariepr returns from his initial foray.

As he passes the check-in he hears someone asking I'm looking for Captains Raekrroz and Rradzoka...

It's a young male Vargr, with the lean and lanky look of a young teen that has yet to fill out.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by cybersavant »

Sazqelmiqariepr pauses on his way to the Captain and hangs back in order to follow the young Vargr.

Later, after making sure the young one is not a threat, he walks up the group, Captain, did you get that information i sent you?"

The title has recently changed hands. The dealer that bought it is in Kirr-Southllafuthaefgraek. I understand the seller has used the proceeds to fund a salvage operation and that that operation is, risky. Details are sketchy, but it's something out of the UFA. The two protagonists were trailing their story about last month, and both have gone quiet so the assumption seems to be that they have found backers. If you need details, I'm afraid you'll need to employ an investigator. Odds of 15:1 and 7:1 are being offered on the success of each project - so someone has what they consider good enough information to offer odds.

gaming since 1980

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by BackworldTraveller »

...The receptionist asks the young Vargr to be seated while they ascertain that the Captains are free...

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by The Bindoner »

Weapons Stations - Imperial Navy (as was). And yea - I can do Low-G.
He looks at Rradzoka carefully.
So, you'll keep me on?
When this isn't a negative, he looks almost pathetically relieved. You also realise that he's slimmer than you'd have thought (almost gaunt). Clearly the IM Jump Suit was for a larger bear.
Will you guys be eating soon?
He never even asked about pay!

We have snacks your welcome to, the actual next meal time, is, currently unknown." Yeelau replies to the bear, as she looks over at the financiers, hoping they will provide a meal.
Rradzoka beams at the bear:

Of course I’ll keep you on! You are our first hire, a lucky mascot.

To Yeelau: Fast work. I’m taking it as good omen.

A meal? Why not.

Rradzoka orders enough bar-food for everyone, double portions for Brynvadur.

He offers the bear his hand: We’ll get you a contract later, make it formal, but, you eat with me, you’re crew.

As the group discusses the arrival of such a large creature in the group, Sazqelmiqariepr returns from his initial foray.

As he passes the check-in he hears someone asking I'm looking for Captains Raekrroz and Rradzoka...

It's a young male Vargr, with the lean and lanky look of a young teen that has yet to fill out.
..The receptionist asks the young Vargr to be seated while they ascertain that the Captains are free...
Rradzoka tells the receptionist he is happy to meet the youngster.

I’m hoping there’ll be a few more showing up to see me over the next few days. He winks: I’ll use the bar for interviews, make sure the hotel gets custom out of any visitors.

I know dealing with them isn’t really your job, but if you just comm me when someone asks, I’ll be grateful. He slips a Cr100 note into their hand as he shakes it: Apologies for the extra work.

Sazqelmiqariepr pauses on his way to the Captain and hangs back in order to follow the young Vargr.

Later, after making sure the young one is not a threat, he walks up the group, Captain, did you get that information i sent you?"

Sorry Saz, had the comm on silent. Thought we might have an incident, but it turned out to be a legit freelance. He pauses and adds, thoughtfully: I’ll reach out to him later.

Rradzoka reviews Sazqelmiqariepr’s findings:

Well, looks like we’re last to know about this job, and behind in the race. I suppose I’ll have to invest in an investigator. Wonder if our friend Zagoedzang’d be interested in the job? He’s halfway in already, should be easy for him.

Bit of a puzzle though. Selling the ship to fund a project that needs a ship? They just planning to rent one? I’ll have to ask around about who’s chartering what.
Last edited by The Bindoner on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:39 pm Bit of a puzzle though. Selling the ship to fund a project that needs a ship? They just planning to rent one? I’ll have to ask around about who’s chartering what.
Tsek replies: That's an easy one...The miner's too small to transport the people needed for this trip. Only really slept two - four at a pinch.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The young Vargr stands and introduces himself as the two captains come over

I'm Akodse. Akodse Kurdhuen. I saw your adverts and came to offer my services.
I've always wanted to get off-world and your descriptions look likely to do that.
I can act as a Gunner.

Daehaggzoegr looks at the lad and suggests that he's a bit young.

I'm 18 and beholden to no-one! he protests

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by The Bindoner »

Tsek replies: That's an easy one...The miner's too small to transport the people needed for this trip. Only really slept two - four at a pinch.

Right, well, then checking the charters is the way to go. With luck, it’ll be something we can mess with.

I've always wanted to get off-world and your descriptions look likely to do that.
I can act as a Gunner.

We all started young, Daehaggzoegr, that’s no demerit.

Rradzoka appraises the young Vargr: You look fit enough, anyway.

Couple’ve questions, before I say yes. They’re kinda linked, maybe.

First. Where’d you learn Gunnery? You say you want to go off-world, that says not on a merchant, Navy or Corsair. Puzzle, that is.

Second. You running from something? If you are, that isn’t always a problem. We all need to leave something behind from time to time, question for me is, will it follow you? Ditching a girl or a dead-end job, no problem, skipping out on an angry pack, different matter.I’m hiring help, not trouble.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Right, well, then checking the charters is the way to go. With luck, it’ll be something we can mess with.

I can act as a Gunner.

We all started young, Daehaggzoegr, that’s no demerit.

Rradzoka appraises the young Vargr: You look fit enough, anyway.

Couple’ve questions, before I say yes. They’re kinda linked, maybe.

First. Where’d you learn Gunnery? You say you want to go off-world, that says not on a merchant, Navy or Corsair. Puzzle, that is.

Second. You running from something? If you are, that isn’t always a problem. We all need to leave something behind from time to time, question for me is, will it follow you? Ditching a girl or a dead-end job, no problem, skipping out on an angry pack, different matter.I’m hiring help, not trouble.
I learned from my Family - They think they are "Chosen"...but I have had a disagreement with them and they have thrown me out as a "Deviant and Backslider". They won't pursue me. But they won't help either. No angry Pack.

a brief pause

No Pack at all

He looks forlorn for a moment

But if you want me I can do what you need.

And he looks very determinedly at Rradzoka as if just concentrating will be enough to sway him.
Soft Eyes and wagging tail, ears forward
and then, as time progresses, the earnest and enthusiastic look wanes slightly, but is kept up by sheer force of will

Daehaggzoegr chips in...He's yours if you want him. I'm not breaking in an untrained enthusiast from the Church.*
*Church of the Chosen One - Major backers of the invasion of the Imperium and suppliers of Mercenaries. Generally bigoted.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by The Bindoner »

Rradzoka appraises Akodse, and decides he likes him. He’s got drive, and a little desperation.

As an aside, to Daehaggzoegr : Not entirely untrained, and clearly not an enthusiast of the Church.

Well, Akodse, I think your church would label me “deviant” too... He looks at Yeelau and Sazqelmiqariepr, flicks a glance at Brynvadur - because of the company I keep.

I don’t really care what you believe in, so long as you work well, follow orders, and don’t cause trouble.

You sign up to those terms, you’ve got a berth.

Rradzoka orders more food.

Saz, you seem to have a fix on the info brokers, want to follow up on that?

Thanks for the heads-up on the betting too. I think I’ll follow up on that. Might put some money on us, before the odds drop.

Yeelau, are you happy to continue recruiting, or do you have something else to do?

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#157 Post by Demilich »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 pm

Yeelau, are you happy to continue recruiting, or do you have something else to do?

Yeelau perks up "Actually, I'm meeting with a reporter, seems Aslan are not common around here and also, it will help spread the recruiting word. I wont divulge much about myself, or the mission, in case this reporter does a hack job."

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by cybersavant »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 pm Saz, you seem to have a fix on the info brokers, want to follow up on that?

Sazqelmiqariepr

"That's why i'm back actually. Being an outside, i couldn't even get inside one of the Captain's Bars. I sort of made a contact at one, but i was met with ... suspicion, i suppose?"

gaming since 1980

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:57 pm Rradzoka appraises Akodse, and decides he likes him. He’s got drive, and a little desperation.

As an aside, to Daehaggzoegr : Not entirely untrained, and clearly not an enthusiast of the Church.

Well, Akodse, I think your church would label me “deviant” too... He looks at Yeelau and Sazqelmiqariepr, flicks a glance at Brynvadur - because of the company I keep.

I don’t really care what you believe in, so long as you work well, follow orders, and don’t cause trouble.

You sign up to those terms, you’ve got a berth.
Well, your companions were a bit of a surprise, but I guess they are on our side in this. If you'll have me, I'm in.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by The Bindoner »

Yeelau perks up "Actually, I'm meeting with a reporter, seems Aslan are not common around here and also, it will help spread the recruiting word. I wont divulge much about myself, or the mission, in case this reporter does a hack job."

Rradzoka’s ears prick up and he leans forward:

Nice, that could be useful. We need good publicity. You’re right, first interview, give them nothing, but hint at more. Play mysterious and exotic, it’s probably what they’re after. We’ll see what they write, if it’s not hostile, perhaps we can use it as a recruiting tool.

Saz, you seem to have a fix on the info brokers, want to follow up on that?
Sazqelmiqariepr

"That's why i'm back actually. Being an outside, i couldn't even get inside one of the Captain's Bars. I sort of made a contact at one, but i was met with ... suspicion, i suppose?"

Rradzoka’s tail droops:

Sorry to hear that, but not surprised.

He perks up again: Well, good work getting as far as you did then!

Point me at your contact, I’ll take a pass at the bars myself. But not tonight. Meeting someone.

Well, is there anything you want to do instead? If you don’t fancy another outing, you could stay here. There’ve been eyes on us, we ought to keep ours open too.

Well, your companions were a bit of a surprise, but I guess they are on our side in this. If you'll have me, I'm in.

Excellent! Welcome aboard. I’ll get you a contract when we’ve printed them up.

Rradzoka chuckles.

Yeah, you’ve taken a big step out of the Church, alright. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it. They look funny, but they’re nearly as good as Vargr. These ones are, anyway.

Return to “How to find a Million (Mongoose Traveller, 1137)”