Quest #41 "Last Things First"

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Quest #41 "Last Things First"

#21 Post by kruk »

Cresty

The fighter takes a moment to wipe the sweat off his eyebrows with his right forearm while his left arm is fully extended with his hand firmly grabbing hold of secure piece of the cliff wall. He takes a moment there to catch his breath while the other two decide which route to take up the remaining unclimbed portion of the cliff.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Karaunios »

I'm gonna wait for Bluehorse to say what he's plan is. It was his idea after all.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Bluehorse »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm Is the idea here to keep climbing up to the tops of the inland cliffs towards where you think the next obelisks will be?
That's the gist of it. We know these things follow a more or less circle pattern around the island, so we are going to try to get up top and make our way in the most direct route to the next one from this point to the eastern-ish one.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm keeps climbing and puffing. You would think that a dwarf is not made for this kind of activity but he's actually more nimble than expected.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Up
Sunday, 7th of Harvester
Late Morning, Warm, Humid, Buggy

It takes a herculean effort, but the trio of Keg, Grimm, and Cresty eventually get themselves to the very top of the tall black cliffs, giving them an amazing view of the entire island.

The area up here is basically a wide swath of forsaken volcanic rock for miles in each direction. There is a vast smelly morass beyond the rock where dark figures can be seen flying through the air.

Looking in that same direction, beyond the waterfall clearing, glints of light in the area where the 4:00 obelisk should sit can be seen from this distance.

What catches their eye even more is the massive black stone tower sitting high on a cliff top at the very center of the ring of obelisks.

Everything they see is to the north, including the dark specs in the sky.

Actions?

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by kruk »

Cresty

Once at the top of the cliff the fighter moves inland a bit and then takes time to stretch out his sore muscles. He instinctively scans the new found area for any threats. His eyes focus on the flying dark objects. After a moment he checks his gear and does a quick scan of his armor. Satisfied he turns to the others. Anything up here look familiar to you?

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

The dwarf wipes the sweat off his forhead and looks around too, arms akimbo. "Well, I haven't been here before. I think Keg went to a tower to east along the coast with some others. Bad thing that one. Three died out of eight some something like that. But they came back with treasures. Regarding those..." He points at the flying objects in the distance. "A woman named Amun, a big barbarian, joined their party on the way back. She said she was pursued by... giant flying lizards? I don't know if I remember the rumors correctly. Those are probably the flying things over there. I'd say that we should avoid that part at all costs, but it seems it's on our way north.

Should we go around it?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg looks around and take a deep breath and scans the wide view. Well, there's a sight. I was at the tower over there, but look at all that. he is already walking, not wanting to waist time with the sun still rising. Anyone got paper or something to draw on? I didn't think of that. I think we need to go check that 4:00 obelisk first if no one has an objection.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"Yeah, that was our mission, right? I don't have any paper or ink, but I've got some spikes and we can use a flat rock or something and improvise." says the dwarf.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Up
Sunday, 7th of Harvester
Afternoon, Hot, Humid, Less Buggy

The exhausted trio take in the amazing aerial view for a moment before starting off towards the nearest obelisk in the distance. The massive black central tower appears to be built on an outcropping of cliffs that juts out from the main cliff wall.

Though it is rocky and uneven, the cliffs edge seems to be the best place to travel without sinking down into the soft ground of the morass. Eager to get on their way, the party of three ignore the black figures in the sky, certain they are probably just wyverns or dragons or something.

As they move along the top edge of the cliffs, the ground seems to continue rising towards the center of the island and the massive waterfall in the distance eventually shows itself as well. Another benefit to this high elevation travel is that there are far fewer bugs up here, making the trip much more tolerable.

Hiking towards the north, but still a long way away from their destination, the dark specks in the sky seem to either be getting bigger, or closer. Looking around again, you see that a couple of them are now behind you as well. :twisted:

Actions?

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by kruk »

Cresty

The fighter continues walking with the others onward to the north, staying silent (which is something new for him). The flying black figures in front of him, and now in back of him, are becoming more of a concern for him. He breaks his silence. Flying lizards...huh He reaches back to make sure his bow is still with him.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"This ain't good. We're to exposed and I seriously doubt even the three of us could fight off one of those wyrms, let alone so many." He looks at the cliff, climbing down looking at the best and only alternative to a gruesome death.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You know that suspenseful music they play during an exceptionally tense situation in movies?

You might start hearing that soon. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Down?
Sunday, 7th of Harvester

Looking around at the approaching figures in the sky, some of the party start to wonder if climbing all the way up here was such a good idea after all.

That question gets answered once they see a sudden movement from the rocky ground of the cliffs edge up ahead, and figure out what the huge black figure is that just appeared a few dozen yards in front of them.

hail hydra.jpg
hail hydra.jpg (91.09 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Actions? :twisted:

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm starts running the way they came.

:lol:

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by kruk »

Cresty

The fighter runs away as well al the while making a comment. Keg! I think I'm having second thoughts about exploring this area!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

12 days here without a peep from Keg?

Doesn't he like hydras or what?
:lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#38 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Where
Sunday, 7th of Harvester

Two heads reach for each runner, the long necks quickly catching up to anyone fleeing before they are far enough away to escape.

Keg just stands there with his mouth hanging open, unsure what to do next as 2 gaping maws dart in to rip the Viking in two.

Suddenly, a bright light flashes all around you. The intensity of the white light blinds you completely, leaving you seeing only the remains of the white flash behind your eyelids, whether open or closed.

You suddenly feel yourselves moving, spinning around through a bright white world, unable to control your movements momentarily as you twirl around aimlessly.

Once you are mentally prepared for whatever comes next, go ahead and click here: viewtopic.php?f=446&t=12356

Return to “Completed Missions”