Starting with minis

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Starting with minis

#1 Post by Karaunios »

Hi everyone,

I'll get straight to the point:

Back in the 90's, when my brother and I were kids, we were collecting a Warhammer noldor army and painting the figures. Same with Hero Quest. They look still look very good despite our then childish/prepubescent hands having painted them.

Now I live in Germany and our army has stayed in Spain with my brother, so I'm considering taking up the hobby again after about twenty-five years. I'm definitely thinking of rebuilding my Oldhammer army.

But, apart from that, I'm thinking of minis more oriented to (old school) D&D games and I don't know much about this.

So here are my questions:

1. Grenadier or Ral Partha? (I'm sure this is the typical question where there are two camps already since AD&D 1e times). I have seen that, at least for Ral Partha, there are also AD&D minis from the 90s, but I'm more interested in the 80s. Is there any page/catalog where I can get a broader view on the subject and get informed before I start buying (maybe à la The Acaeum but for minis)?
2. Are there current collections but with an old school feel and, above all, at a good price?

I would appreciate any info you can give me on these topics!

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Starting with minis

#2 Post by Bluetongue »

Check out Otherworld Miniatures, the company run by Richard Scott and a lot of his sculptures were designed especially for Barrowmaze as we supported the original Kickstarter years ago.

I bought quite a few figures from Citadel miniatures in the early 80's, still my favourite ones.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sastaz »

I paint quite a lot. Like you say there's the oldhammer, the ral partha, the grenadier etcetera. For those I would look at the various "oldhammer" communities/accounts on instagram and Facebook (yes I know, the old mini pages are the only reason I'm ever logged in). Check koltti on Instagram for example. For buying those, I try to go for bulk purchases at local ebay-variants in Sweden, or check the various oldhammer trading pages on Facebook. Of course, I found my old ones lying around in my parents' garage, so a lot to paint there :)

For newer collections....I think it's really hard to find stuff with the personality of the mini's of the 80s and 90s. Lot's of stuff is more "high fantasy" nowadays. I buy a newly produced warhammer mini every now and then. The new Bloodbowl ones are really good, for example. If you want old school stuff, but newly produced, I would say keeping a lookout for kickstarters is a good tip.

Hope that helps!

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Karaunios »

Thanks both for the hints.

I've followed some people on Instagram, including koltti, thanks for the idea sastaz :D

Bluetongue, I'll try to find a catalogue of something off of Citadel. Not easy to find old minis on eBay, as there are many of the newer ones.

Btw, thanks of hinting at Otherworld Miniatures. It's been a revelation. Definitely will get some many minis from there. Straight out of the 1e MM!

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sastaz »

Karaunios, are you looking to build rank & file a la oldhammer, skirmish games or using minis for rpg? Otherworld is great, but not really a rank & file army producer.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Karaunios »

I'm actually looking for both :lol:

I know, it's crazy!

Return to “General RPG discussion”