The Mausoleum

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Mausoleum

#421 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

Notices the changes happening to Belloc and makes sure others notice it. Doing so as unobtrusively as possible.

"Well folks we have one more door to check I believe, do we want to do that, or go back?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#422 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

Taking the hint from Taibhse, the Kelt druid makes a sign in the air to ward off evil, gnawing on her bottom lip for something to say.
"Um...Belloc...how are you feeling?"
Winter is coming...

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma, having remained silent for a few minutes now suddenly closes in on Belloc with something in her hand.

for those who look closely
It's some kind cloth wrapped around her hand.
When she' just next to Belloc.

"That's it, I can't let you go like this, sorry friend."

She will try to strike Belloc's arm so that he will drop the staff. If that's not possible or doesn't work, she'll wrestle him and try to bend it from him. She'll try not to touch the actual staff herself, using her one protected hand primarily. Counting on her superior (?) strength and dexterity to give her the upper hand.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#424 Post by redwarrior »

Cormag will move in to aid Tuurma, attempting to grab & stabilize Belloc's non-staff arm.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#425 Post by OGRE MAGE »

sastaz wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:00 pm Tuurma will try to strike Belloc's arm so that he will drop the staff. If that's not possible or doesn't work, she'll wrestle him and try to bend it from him. She'll try not to touch the actual staff herself.....
redwarrior wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:00 pm Cormag will move in to aid Tuurma, attempting to grab & stabilize Belloc's non-staff arm.
Anyone attempting to take/remove the staff from Belloc can give me a Test of Strength, a Test of Dexterity......

oh, and a Saving Throw vs. Death, please.
:twisted:

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#426 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc
felt a surge of anger and betrayal as he saw his companions sneaking up behind him, their hands reaching for his staff
his surprise apparent in his eyes
why?!
then his face turns as he realizes the entity is trying to take control of his friends!
how?!
it doesn't want me to take control!
dont you see?! he is working through you! and you think its your desires!

OOC: he tries casting sleep and get away

i'll save you from it!
you wont be its play thing! i'll return to save you!

OOC: keeps trying to escape
Last edited by Belkregos on Fri May 05, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#427 Post by redwarrior »

Not sure which Cormag needs trying to secure the other arm (not grabbing at the staff), but here's all 3. :)

Test of str target 4 [1d6]=3
test of dex target 3 [1d6]=6
save v death 14 [1d20]=13

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#428 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

Not quite ready for this turn of events, and not suited for wrestling the staff away from Belloc, he stands by axe at the ready if real combat ensues.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#429 Post by OGRE MAGE »

redwarrior wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm Not sure which Cormag needs trying to secure the other arm (not grabbing at the staff), but here's all 3. :)

Test of str target 4 [1d6]=3
test of dex target 3 [1d6]=6
save v death 14 [1d20]=13
This is perfect. Thanks! I can adjudicate accordingly once I get the same rolls from sastaz, and we learn what Kain will do.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

"Wait! Uh...what's going on? Belloc?"
Winter is coming...

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#431 Post by sastaz »

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#432 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Way to go Turma!!!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#433 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry for the delay here everyone.

I will wait a little longer for Kain's rather important action, but not forever.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Long weekend. So sorry. :oops:

Kainaxarthos

Kain is surprised at the turn of events, thinking there was an agreement to go examine the staff in town.

As Cormag and Tuurma descend on Belloc like thieves while Belloc starts talking to himself, Kain grasps for understanding. He takes a chance and throws his support behind the fighters.

Kain calls out "Sleep!" in a very commanding voice, trying to put an end to this madness temporarily. He tries to cast command on Belloc. No offense, just only one target. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#435 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I guess I should have rolled for initiative first. :oops: :lol:

The Lost Mausoleum
Finishing The Job, Next Morning

Despite the group agreeing to get the staff checked out once they return to town, a few of the more aggressive members decide to physically attack the man who they not only just met, but who basically just saved all of their lives.

As if the staff itself knew this could happen, somehow relaying the burst of treachery to its new wielder, Belloc is very unsurprised by this sudden turn of events. PvP Initiative Belloc: [1d6]=6 Aggressors: [1d6]=1

Tuurma warns him with a comment before attempting to disarm the mage. Cormag tries to restrain the arm not holding the obviously dangerous staff, while Kain quickly thinks of a spell he can use to diffuse the situation altogether.

While Ceana and Taibhse stay clear, still worried about the mental health of this stranger, the mage and his fortunate intuition allows him to act first. He quickly recites a spell of slumber towards the group, Sleepy Power [2d8]=9 that causes everyone in the party to drop to their knees and lay down on the cold, sandy floor for a short nap.

Belloc is about to run out of the hallway, until he notices that everyone in the group besides himself and his owl Crestos is suddenly laying on the ground fast asleep, completely at his mercy.

Actions?

Kainaxarthos AC:6 3/8 1st:2/2 SLEEPING
Tuurma AC:7 4/13 SLEEPING
Ceana AC:5 5/8 1st:3/3 SLEEPING
Taibhse AC:7 2/7 1st:1/2 MM SLEEPING
Cormag AC:4 5/11 SLEEPING
Belloc AC:6 7/9 2/3 Crestos: (Owl) AC:7 4/4

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#436 Post by Belkregos »

​Belloc

He turns around and faces the silent hallway. The only sounds are the steady breathing of his companions and the frantic thoughts in his head. He walks back slowly, whispering to Crestos.
“Why would they do that, Crestos? Do you think they wanted it for themselves? I tried to explain what a curse it is. Did we misjudge them?...
Maybe it’s trying to influence them. I know it’s trying, tempting me, too. I feel its pull, its whispers. But we all have those, right? The difference is whether we give in or not.”

He pauses and looks around.
“We’re still in danger here. We all are. And if it’s true that it’s taking hold of them, we should warn them. But let’s be careful.”

He moves closer to the weapons and pushes them further down the corridor, away from the entrance. Then he walks over to the exit and stops. He positions himself near the door, ready to flee if necessary. He nods to Crestos.
“Go ahead.”
Crestos flies over to Ceena and gently brushes his wings on her face, trying to wake her up. Belloc stands leaning on the twisted staff, with the desert light behind him. He watches her nervously, wondering how she will react.
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#437 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ceana feels something brushing across her sleepy face, suddenly opening her eyes to find a wing flapping owl perched on her head.

She awakens with a start to see the madness played out before her, glad that learn that Crestos hasn’t eaten a lot lately.

She sees her companions sleeping peacefully where they fell, and Belloc still standing by the doorway, slowly piecing together what just happened in her mind.

If possessed by the staff, why did Belloc stay behind to make sure the group was safe? If he really had turned evil, would he not have simply killed the others and taken all their things?

The mage nods at the Kelt, though he still looks a bit unnerved about what just happened to him.

Actions from Ceana and Belloc?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

The druid yawns and stands up, picking up her falcata as she does so. "Belloc...what happened? Did you do this?" she gestures at her sleeping companions. "Did the staff make you do this?" she asks, taking a few cautious steps in his direction.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#439 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc
takes a tentative step back, his hand clutching the staff.

“Please, Ceena, they tried to attack me. I don’t know who to trust anymore.” He gestures with his free hand, signaling her to keep her distance. “I was only defending myself.”

when asked about the staff He looks at it with a mix of curiosity and fear. “I have some ideas on how to activate it, but I haven’t used its power yet. This is all me.”

She asks him if the staff influenced his actions, if it made him lash out at their companions. He thinks for a second, then shakes his head. “No, no, it can’t be. I’ve been careful. I’ve done my research. The staff tries to manipulate its wielder, but I’m aware of that. I’m prepared for it. I’m trying to contain its influence, to make it focus on me. If I let go of it, it might spread its corruption to others.”

He looks at their sleeping friends, lying on the ground “But wait, you saw them, right? They did try to attack me first. It was reasonable, right? My reaction?” He sounds unsure, desperate for validation.

He turns back to her, his eyes wide with suspicion. “Do you think it’s trying to influence them? It shouldn’t be able to reach beyond its wielder, but maybe it’s stronger than I thought. Have they ever acted like this before? Turned against an ally? Have you felt any violent impulses lately? Like when you stand on a ledge and feel a sudden urge to jump? Of course you resist it, but the urge is there. Have you felt that more often than usual?”

He grips the staff tighter, as if ready to run or fight. “If it’s spreading its influence and they are vulnerable, I can’t stay here. I have to leave.”

He looks at her with a pleading expression. “Let’s wake them up, but ill ask you Ceena, please give me a chance to leave if they turn on me ”

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:41 pm Belloc looks at their sleeping friends, lying on the ground “But wait, you saw them, right? They did try to attack me first. It was reasonable, right? My reaction?” He sounds unsure, desperate for validation.
"It happened really fast. I think they thought you were possessed."
He turns back to her, his eyes wide with suspicion. “Do you think it’s trying to influence them? It shouldn’t be able to reach beyond its wielder, but maybe it’s stronger than I thought. Have they ever acted like this before? Turned against an ally? Have you felt any violent impulses lately? Like when you stand on a ledge and feel a sudden urge to jump? Of course you resist it, but the urge is there. Have you felt that more often than usual?”
"I...I really don't know. I'm not versed in these type of things. And I don't know them very well, except for Kain. He's the only one I trust. No offense."
He looks at her with a pleading expression. “Let’s wake them up, but ill ask you Ceena, please give me a chance to leave if they turn on me ”
"I'll do my best," she says as she begins to shake the others awake, starting with Kain.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Completed Missions”